Is Bungie even thinking regarding crucible changes? (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 24, 2016, 16:49 (2862 days ago)

Machine Guns.

They do not kill instantly, whereas Rocket Launchers do. They made up for that by having the ability to kill more people total if you could survive and not get killed by rockets.

I pick up the heavy ammo, and I now get enough Machine Gun ammo to kill 4 people. Unacceptable. Now the advantage to HMGs is gone. No reason to not use rockets.

Think for two seconds. If you can survive long enough to dominate with an HMG you deserve it. If the advantage is too great, then either make rockets a teeny bit better, or else do what everybody here agrees is a useful idea and allow heavy ammo drops off player's bodies if you kill them with a weaker weapon.

Come on guys. Think before you react to people who complain. Way to make the game less interesting. Now it'll be rockets only.

Is Bungie even thinking regarding crucible changes?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, June 24, 2016, 16:52 (2862 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Machine Guns.

They do not kill instantly, whereas Rocket Launchers do. They made up for that by having the ability to kill more people total if you could survive and not get killed by rockets.

I pick up the heavy ammo, and I now get enough Machine Gun ammo to kill 4 people. Unacceptable. Now the advantage to HMGs is gone. No reason to not use rockets.

Think for two seconds. If you can survive long enough to dominate with an HMG you deserve it. If the advantage is too great, then either make rockets a teeny bit better, or else do what everybody here agrees is a useful idea and allow heavy ammo drops off player's bodies if you kill them with a weaker weapon.

Come on guys. Way to make the game less interesting. Now it'll be rockets only.

I thought the advantage was Hitscan

+1

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, June 24, 2016, 16:56 (2862 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Yep

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, June 24, 2016, 17:02 (2862 days ago) @ CyberKN

Machine Guns.

Come on guys. Way to make the game less interesting. Now it'll be rockets only.

I thought the advantage was Hitscan

"Number of potential kills" is not even something I consider when choosing between Rockets or HMG. I'm thinking about map layout, sight lines, gametype, and what will work best considering all those factors.

Im with Cody on this one

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 07:33 (2861 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I used to run a Swarm with Field Scout because it gave me ~80 bullets. You can kill a lot of people with 80 bullets.

For real?

by Avateur @, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 20:15 (2861 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I consider all of that, too, but how do you not also consider the destruction potential? I pretty much never use rockets now because of the potential of multiple kills with HMG. Granted, I have yet to experience whatever nerf Cody is talking about. Was there a recent one? As in the past-two-weeks recent (I haven't played in two weeks)? If not, I'm still using my HMG and doing just fine. Also, rockets miss. If I only have three rockets and miss one or two, that sucks. I tear people up with my HMG.

For real?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 20:25 (2861 days ago) @ Avateur

I consider all of that, too, but how do you not also consider the destruction potential? I pretty much never use rockets now because of the potential of multiple kills with HMG. Granted, I have yet to experience whatever nerf Cody is talking about. Was there a recent one? As in the past-two-weeks recent (haven't played in two weeks)? If not, I'm still using my HMG and doing just fine. Also, rockets miss. If I only have three rockets and miss one or two, that sucks. I tear people up with my HMG.

A few reasons: In my experience, Heavy ammo spawn is such a giant clusterfuck that my chances of surviving long enough to get more than 2 or 3 kills are slim-to-none (I'm EXTREMELY aggressive in PvP, which leads to loads of kills and almost as many deaths). Plus I tend to spec my character out for best performance over the entire match, which means I emphasize special ammo perks over heavy ammo perks (since I will definitely use lots of special ammo while I might not even pick up heavy ammo once).

Finally, being a hyper-aggressive fool, I usually prefer to go mess with the enemy team during the heavy round, rather than try to pick it up myself ;)

For real?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 20:31 (2861 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Your bad tactics don't justify this topic's existence... :p Fun video though.

For real?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 21:06 (2861 days ago) @ Ragashingo

On the flip-side, I'm twice as even more aggressiver than Cruel, have a higher K/D, never go for Heavy (takes time away from the killin'), and I use Machine Guns over Rockets any day in Crucible.

Maybe Cody just has terrible aim, and needs more than four rounds of a Machine gun to get kills, but I have never had trouble getting 5+ kills with Heavy. I run Qullim's on PS4, and Zombie Apocalypse on Xbox.

The Swarm here, can confirm

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, June 25, 2016, 22:25 (2861 days ago) @ Korny

Completed my "Play Skirmish for New Monarchy" leg of the quest from scratch yesterday and The Swarm was eating people up.

Wait. The Swarm is back?!

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 22:58 (2861 days ago) @ ZackDark

That gun was my first love. Absolutely tears people to bits.

For real?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 22:37 (2861 days ago) @ Korny

On the flip-side, I'm twice as even more aggressiver than Cruel, have a higher K/D, never go for Heavy (takes time away from the killin'), and I use Machine Guns over Rockets any day in Crucible.

Maybe Cody just has terrible aim, and needs more than four rounds of a Machine gun to get kills, but I have never had trouble getting 5+ kills with Heavy. I run Qullim's on PS4, and Zombie Apocalypse on Xbox.

I got 20 rounds while picking up heavy ammo. That's only 5 kills for your perfect aim. This was with the raid machine gun. Before I was able to get 12+, and one time managed 15 kills.

Yes, it was a big nerf. Still invalidates your argument.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, June 25, 2016, 23:36 (2861 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

For real?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 13:54 (2857 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I got 20 rounds while picking up heavy ammo. That's only 5 kills for your perfect aim. This was with the raid machine gun. Before I was able to get 12+, and one time managed 15 kills.

That's funny. I picked up Heavy while playing with Cruel just to see if you were right, and somehow, Cody Miller was wrong again (No way!):

[image]

And I run Smallbore, which nets me less ammo (usually 41 rounds).

For real?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 14:01 (2857 days ago) @ Korny

That's funny. I picked up Heavy while playing with Cruel just to see if you were right, and somehow, Cody Miller was wrong again (No way!):

[image]

You must have machine gun boots.

For real?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 14:12 (2857 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

You must have machine gun boots.

Which would still invalidate your argument... Picking up Machine Gun Heavy with no MG boots would still net you more kills than picking up Rocket Heavy with no Rocket boots.

Or is your narrative "Picking up Rockets with Rocket Boots and Field Scout can get you more kills than picking up Machine Gun Heavy with Smallbore and no MG Boots! What's the point of Machine Guns?"

For real?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 15:30 (2857 days ago) @ Korny

Which would still invalidate your argument... Picking up Machine Gun Heavy with no MG boots would still net you more kills than picking up Rocket Heavy with no Rocket boots.

Not having them should still net you the advantage of the gun. You shouldn't have to have special gear just to make a gun type viable.

So both rockets and MGs are useless...?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 15:32 (2857 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Yep. Swords are the best.

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 15:36 (2857 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 15:49

Pretty sure you can get 15+ kills per pickup. Which is apparently all that matters in this argument.

I agree, but that wasn't what he was arguing for, initially

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 16:51 (2857 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

I mean, I don't find MGs useless, but the swords are definitely more useful than they are now.

For real?

by Avateur @, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 23:30 (2861 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

A few reasons: In my experience, Heavy ammo spawn is such a giant clusterfuck that my chances of surviving long enough to get more than 2 or 3 kills are slim-to-none (I'm EXTREMELY aggressive in PvP, which leads to loads of kills and almost as many deaths). Plus I tend to spec my character out for best performance over the entire match, which means I emphasize special ammo perks over heavy ammo perks (since I will definitely use lots of special ammo while I might not even pick up heavy ammo once).

Finally, being a hyper-aggressive fool, I usually prefer to go mess with the enemy team during the heavy round, rather than try to pick it up myself ;)

Haha, awesome! It sounds like our play styles are very similar, though it hasn't been until recently that I've been trying to smash an entire group of enemies at the heavy spawn. Part of why I go with the HMG is because of how aggressively I play. I want them all dead, and I want them all dead as much as I possibly can do it. It just makes me even more dangerous when I close the gap, you know?

The best reason to use HMGs over RLs is...

by Mariachi @, Kentucky, Friday, June 24, 2016, 17:14 (2862 days ago) @ CyberKN

That my suicide rate dropped dramatically when I stopped using Rockets. :-)

I actually... agree.

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Friday, June 24, 2016, 17:37 (2862 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't feel these effects that much because I always use machine gun boots and I have a Unseeing Eye with a god roll and Field Scout, but whenever I try a different HMG I am a little depressed at how little ammo it holds.

I actually... agree.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, June 24, 2016, 17:42 (2862 days ago) @ BeardFade

I don't feel these effects that much because I always use machine gun boots and I have a Unseeing Eye with a god roll and Field Scout, but whenever I try a different HMG I am a little depressed at how little ammo it holds.

Since we can no longer stack two ammo perks on top of each other to get extra secondary at the beginning I'm now running machine gun boots w/ the field scout unseeing eye. That weapon makes me feel like I'm back in my god-roll Jolder's Hammer Days.

Look at us being twinsies

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Friday, June 24, 2016, 18:25 (2862 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

That change made me switch to rockets

by Kahzgul, Friday, June 24, 2016, 18:33 (2862 days ago) @ Cody Miller

While I used to be able to go on 10 kill streaks with HMG alone (oh Thunderlord, you were so good), I now use rockets and don't look back.

by Harmanimus @, Friday, June 24, 2016, 19:27 (2862 days ago) @ Kahzgul

If you have heavy ammo boosts for MG's you can still go that far with Thunderlord. It's still my crucible heavy of choice. Terminus if I for whatever reason decide I need a different exotic. Field scout + ammo boost puts it at about 55-60 or so.

I think the most I've ever gotten out of using rockets was 5 kills. And that was only because the other team waited long enough for me to shoot two Truth rockets at their heavy box.

by Kahzgul, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 16:57 (2861 days ago) @ Harmanimus

If you have heavy ammo boosts for MG's you can still go that far with Thunderlord. It's still my crucible heavy of choice. Terminus if I for whatever reason decide I need a different exotic. Field scout + ammo boost puts it at about 55-60 or so.

I think the most I've ever gotten out of using rockets was 5 kills. And that was only because the other team waited long enough for me to shoot two Truth rockets at their heavy box.

Hm. I was under the impression that +ammo no longer let you get more than a certain number of rounds, like 32 for HMGs and 3 for rockets.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, June 27, 2016, 03:01 (2860 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Hm. I was under the impression that +ammo no longer let you get more than a certain number of rounds, like 32 for HMGs and 3 for rockets.

With Heavy Ammo boots, Quillim's gets 41 rounds. I'm not good enough for Korny's laser-accurate 4-rounds-per-kill, but 7 is pretty easy. If a teammate does a little damage to at least one of your targets, 6 kills/round is not unusual.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 06:34 (2857 days ago) @ Claude Errera

With Heavy Ammo boots, Quillim's gets 41 rounds. I'm not good enough for Korny's laser-accurate 4-rounds-per-kill, but 7 is pretty easy. If a teammate does a little damage to at least one of your targets, 6 kills/round is not unusual.

I may have to dust off the ol' Terminus. Such a good gun! Thanks, I was obviously misinformed.

How many kills SHOULD you get with one ammo brick??

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 00:14 (2862 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What heavy machinegun are you using, exactly? With Thunderlord and no ammo perks whatsoever I get 33 rounds out of a Heavy Ammo box. Thunderlord kills in 4 shots. Maybe 3. Is 8 to 11 kills not good enough? You should easily get more than 4 kills unless you die early.

Frankly, unless all other HMG are much worse, I don't see the problem. At some point, even weapons as different as rocket launchers and heavy machineguns need to have roughly the same maximum kill potential... Don't they? If not, just how many kills do you want to get?

P.S. Your topic title was unnecessarily inflammatory and not appreciated. Why the heck can't you ever voice a concern without being a total jerk about it? :(

How many kills SHOULD you get with one ammo brick??

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 12:43 (2861 days ago) @ Ragashingo

What heavy machinegun are you using, exactly? With Thunderlord and no ammo perks whatsoever I get 33 rounds out of a Heavy Ammo box. Thunderlord kills in 4 shots. Maybe 3. Is 8 to 11 kills not good enough? You should easily get more than 4 kills unless you die early.

Oh good, I thought I might've missed something recent. Yeah every HMG I use has enough to kill 5+ people depending on how well you you aim I've gotten 7 and ran out of bullets shooting the 8th. I still prefer RL on a lot of maps (and absolutely in Trials), but I don't feel like the nerf affected HMG that much, especially since the vast majority of RLs now can't even get more than 2 rockets.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 01:25 (2862 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What was the most recent change to Machine Guns? I'm not sure which update you are referencing.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 04:25 (2862 days ago) @ red robber

I haven't played since January, so whichever one ruined them in crucible.

Nope, they leave it to RNG.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 03:29 (2862 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 12:34 (2861 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by SonofMacPhisto, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 12:38

Forget Crucible! I've been away for a couple months, and as a orb-generating Ruin Wing Whoring Defender imagine my surprise at how Thunderlord performs now. When I don't feel like blasting away with Truth or Dragon's Breath, Super Good Advice is the go to MG now, and even that isn't entirely ideal.

Exotic Arc RL plz Bungie thx

P.S. Specific concern is specific haha

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 13:41 (2861 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Super Good Advice is the go to MG now, and even that isn't entirely ideal.

Why are all my weapon choices being vindicated now that I'm gone!?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 13:45 (2861 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Super Good Advice has always been... Super Good... :)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 14:21 (2861 days ago) @ Ragashingo

With all the best will... I don't think it has. The year one version's perk only put ammo back when you missed. It was so unstable that you miss quite a bit, so that seems like an ok idea - but in practice it was really just taking longer to kill things than other machine guns (due to missing). The way to mitigate that, of course, is either get really close, or shoot at something too big to miss (a boss) so that all the shots hit. But even then, you were just landing all your hits with a gun with mediocre stats. And you'd run out of ammo at the normal rate, and have to reload. I wanted to like that gun, and I did think it was amusing to stand there and shoot at nothing with it, and watch the ammo count barely go down at all. But I never had any practical use for it. A slow-firing, stable, legendary machine gun always put things down faster.

The year 2 version is a different kettle of fish. Because it's restoring ammo from the reserves on hit, so you can just throw a wall of bullets at something without ever reloading. The stats on it still aren't great, but there are some situations where it can do more damage in X amount of time than others, simply because you don't have to stop and reload.

IMO, SGA is tied with Dragon's breath for most-improved exotic. Both of them went from being nearly useless to being top-tier (in the right situation), at least in PvE.

DB is only good now because there is no Gjallarhorn.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 14:46 (2861 days ago) @ stabbim

In TDB, it was almost as good. It killed shriekers in one, it did almost as much damage, it held three rockets. The only reason it wasn't considered any good is because of the Gjallarhorn.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 14:49 (2861 days ago) @ stabbim
edited by RaichuKFM, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 15:22

Oh, is that what it does now? Neat.

I think where Old SGA shined best in Crucible, for me, was suppressing fire, shooting wildly into a mass of enemies, and shooting anyone in a panic. Which happened a lot.

I had a lot of great moments with it, and I think it was a very good gun, but I did eventually start using my Zombie Apocalypse in Crucible instead. (It was when I got sufficiently better at aiming with machine guns, I think.)

+1. Pre-buff SGA was good for only two things

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 23:01 (2861 days ago) @ stabbim

Namely Oracles and shooting Charlie14574 for aaaaaages without reloading, just to wind him up.

Also, Oversoul duty.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 23:59 (2861 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

Also, Oversoul duty.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, June 27, 2016, 00:04 (2860 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I could never get along with it for the Oversoul. The damage dropoff at that range and the fact you could reload at light speed with the raid gloves meant a sniper always seemed like a better choice.

Also, Oversoul duty.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, June 27, 2016, 00:05 (2860 days ago) @ someotherguy

Oh, probably true. But with SGA, you certainly looked like you were helping. :)

Heh. That would explain so much.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, June 27, 2016, 00:43 (2860 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Yeah. Your preferences were so bad they were overbuffed.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 14:41 (2861 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

- No text -

I agree with Cody

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 15:47 (2857 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread