Trials and IB will no longer be available on Legacy consoles (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 18:32 (2860 days ago)

Beginning in August of 2016, Trials, IB, and "live events" will no longer be available on PS3 or Xbox 360.

In addition, Xur will no longer sell specific individual exotics, but will only sell Year 1 (legacy) and Year 2 exotic engrams which must be decrypted at the cryptarch to see what you get.

The three current raids will still be available, as will daily and weekly heroic missions and daily and weekly PvP missions.

IB and Live events I understand, but Trials?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 18:40 (2860 days ago) @ Kahzgul

That seems like something that should be able to automate itself... It's regular, not overly complex, and has non-static rewards.

So this means that access to the Lighthouse area is just totally unattainable? Screw that, it's one of the prettiest areas in the game!

IB and Live events I understand, but Trials?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 18:51 (2860 days ago) @ CyberKN

That seems like something that should be able to automate itself... It's regular, not overly complex, and has non-static rewards.

So this means that access to the Lighthouse area is just totally unattainable? Screw that, it's one of the prettiest areas in the game!

Well, the rewards will be Year 3 stuff, and the maps might be too. If they divided it, and folks can manually sync profiles, you might be able to exploit the system with double trips to the lighthouse every weekend. (Make it on 360, sync profile, go back to lighthouse for Year 3 loot).

Or something equally complicated...

You can't sync profiles in Rise of Iron

by Kahzgul, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 18:56 (2860 days ago) @ Korny

Since rise is new-gen only, they're disabling profile syncing as well once that launches.

I imagine it's more of a population issue

by Durandal, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 19:05 (2860 days ago) @ Kahzgul

IB and Trials will get very static for legacy consoles because they won't have any new gear. After one or two passes everyone will be at max level, and then what is the point over normal crucible?

It sounds like they are just preemptively eliminating that complaint.

I imagine it's more of a population issue

by Kahzgul, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 19:09 (2860 days ago) @ Durandal

IB and Trials will get very static for legacy consoles because they won't have any new gear. After one or two passes everyone will be at max level, and then what is the point over normal crucible?

It sounds like they are just preemptively eliminating that complaint.

I'd also guess that they take a small amount of actual people doing work on the backend to activate and organize, and they've decided they no longer want to have some of their team working on old hardware instead of the shiny new stuff. Plus having people who like those events know they the events are going away may help spur them to upgrade (for the record I do not believe this is the primary motivator nor do I suspect intentional coercion by removal).

I wonder what the significance of the Vitalis banner is?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 20:10 (2860 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The last time they mentioned the legacy consoles, in the BWU from 06/09/16, they used the same banner of the Vitalis
I wonder what the significance of that would be?

[image]

Sounds like a great reason to downgrade to me.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 20:14 (2860 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Trials and IB will no longer be available on Legacy consoles

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 21:01 (2860 days ago) @ Kahzgul

See this is bullshit.

Legacy consoles should continue to function exactly as they do now. That means they should be able to do everything they can now, but just not move forward with year 3 stuff. I'm all for ditching legacy consoles, but not removing content from them.

I agree it would be more elegant of them

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, June 25, 2016, 22:20 (2860 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think the always-online, weekly reset nature of Destiny is what is forcing their hand that aggressively. Or maybe a third party.

by Kahzgul, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 23:04 (2860 days ago) @ Cody Miller

See this is bullshit.

Legacy consoles should continue to function exactly as they do now. That means they should be able to do everything they can now, but just not move forward with year 3 stuff. I'm all for ditching legacy consoles, but not removing content from them.

Yeah, the concept of "what did I actually pay for" with destiny is pretty vague. I thought I bought a game that had weekly and monthly events as part of it, but apparently those are not part of the game per se, but are a "free bonus" available only to those who own the most recent expansion. I didn't pay for SRL, I got to play it for free for two weeks from the grace of Bungie's good will. Iron banner isn't part of the game, it's a free service bungie deigns to offer once a month to players. Trials of Osiris wasn't actually part of the HoW expansion, but is a free service bungie has generously offered to players who happened to also - and unrelatedly - purchase HoW.

Bungie has moved the goalposts many times in terms of what content is part of the core game vs. part of the expansion, and I don't see that changing. Remember when CE came out and the nightfall was omnigul so no one who hadn't purchased CE could run a nightfall that week? It's deceitful to state that "HoW contains an all new PvP game mode" if that mode is not forever a part of HoW, regardless of whether you purchased a later expansion or not.

It feels like trickery, like a bait and switch, and like dishonesty. Will it affect me at all? No, because I'm more likely to either quit all together or buy the new expansion than I am to play without the xpac. But it affects my perception of Bungie as a company.

Come on Big B. You guys have been making some very good decisions lately when it comes to balance and patching issues. Don't go back to the dark side when it comes to content being temporary. Respect the money people gave you, please.

Going to have to disagree.

by slycrel ⌂, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 23:31 (2860 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Bugie has limited resources.

We all knew the old consoles would be cut off. Now that the "new" generation of consoles has been announced, it does not surprise me that Bungie is moving forward.

Trials is unexpected, but after a small amount of thought it totally makes sense.

1- I don't want Bungie to have 2 teams supporting two versions of trials. It's a limited event that only a segment of the playerbase takes advantage of. Those resources are better spent elsewhere.

2- I want trials to move ahead with the new content.

3- I bought a PS4 to get a better experience with Destiny. I hope this means that will continue to improve. They've stretched the tech pretty far to get to where they are currently. (Remember when they removed a robot from the tower so we could get more vault space? They're quite limited right now to improvements)

4- Destiny, largely, will still work as it is today with the older gen consoles. They aren't abandoning them, more drawing a line in the sand.

I think it's too bad for those trials players on older gen consoles, but probably appropriate. I am a bit surprised that they didn't give more notice than 6 weeks or so though.

by Kahzgul, Sunday, June 26, 2016, 15:16 (2859 days ago) @ slycrel

Bugie has limited resources.

We all knew the old consoles would be cut off. Now that the "new" generation of consoles has been announced, it does not surprise me that Bungie is moving forward.

Trials is unexpected, but after a small amount of thought it totally makes sense.

1- I don't want Bungie to have 2 teams supporting two versions of trials. It's a limited event that only a segment of the playerbase takes advantage of. Those resources are better spent elsewhere.

2- I want trials to move ahead with the new content.

3- I bought a PS4 to get a better experience with Destiny. I hope this means that will continue to improve. They've stretched the tech pretty far to get to where they are currently. (Remember when they removed a robot from the tower so we could get more vault space? They're quite limited right now to improvements)

4- Destiny, largely, will still work as it is today with the older gen consoles. They aren't abandoning them, more drawing a line in the sand.

I think it's too bad for those trials players on older gen consoles, but probably appropriate. I am a bit surprised that they didn't give more notice than 6 weeks or so though.

I understand all of these points, and they all make sense. That being said, when HoW was sold it was sold as "includes an all new PvP experience" and not as "includes an all new PvP experience* (*for a limited time only)"

This is all related to the poor communications Bungie was doing in year 1. They have been *much* better of late (for example, we know about the drop of legacy support months in advance), but it's still lame that they sold the game as one thing and are doing another.

Honestly, the bitter taste of vanilla Destiny will probably not be truly scrubbed clean until Destiny 2.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 26, 2016, 16:45 (2859 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Even with Destiny 2 they won't get it completely right. They are so utterly committed to a bad genre and to bad game design principles. It not like Destiny 2 is going to stop being an MMO and become an RPG.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, June 26, 2016, 16:54 (2859 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm surprised dismissing an entire genre of game as bad is still a thing you're doing?

If they're so bad, why are they still around, anyways?

And, preemptive followup question, why does that reason people enjoy them for qualify as bad/incorrect?

by Kahzgul, Sunday, June 26, 2016, 19:30 (2859 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Even with Destiny 2 they won't get it completely right. They are so utterly committed to a bad genre and to bad game design principles. It not like Destiny 2 is going to stop being an MMO and become an RPG.

I'm going to break this down because I think it's really untrue.

Even with Destiny 2 they won't get it completely right.

Possible, but TTK was a HUGE step in the right direction, and if all of Destiny followed the TTK formula, I'd have loved it from the get-go.

They are so utterly committed to a bad genre

FPS games? Great genre. MMO? It's not really an MMO so much as a loot-based FPS. Fundamentally these two elements work really well together and in a lovely and compelling way, which is why we're all still playing this game. There's a core framework that's genius. Movement, shooting, it's so, SO good. But the implementation falls short, especially in the end game.

and to bad game design principles.

Vanilla destiny had bad game design. The plot was nonsense, the missions were all same-ey and repetitive, the enemies were not interesting to fight and had crap AI, the strikes were far too focused on very long and repetitive boss fights, resources were scarce, and the most vile element: Almost every reward in the game was pure RNG-based, which is a crappy crap craptastic crap of crap design.

Current destiny is a tad better. The taken enemies contrast well with their non-taken counterparts to make for more interesting combat (though AI is still crap), the new strikes are more mechanics based and interesting than the old ones (and the boss health rebalancing patch from a year or so ago was very much needed, as were the nightfall changes). RNG is less significant for getting viable weapons (though still needed for absolute top-tier loot), and the plot of TTK makes sense, including the raid element. Still almost no improvement to the endgame play loop, however.

Bungie could stand to note that being more generous with loot that's still RNG based for roll in no way hurts their game. Even when I farmed up scads of Grasps last week, it turns out I didn't get any that usurped my other guns, and even if they did, they wouldn't have been game breakingly good. I'd rather play a game where many people have the best gun than only 1 lucky guy. That allows for more fair, even, and balanced PvP situations and finer raid tuning. I'm digressing...

It not like Destiny 2 is going to stop being an MMO and become an RPG.

What? Are you saying massively multiplayer games are fundamentally bad? Are you saying Role Playing Games are fundamentally good? Here's what I think: Throw out the labels. A game that is grindy with RNG-based loot "rewards" feels like a job, not a game, and that's not fun. Vanilla destiny's end game was a job. Current destiny's end game is an improvement from there, but can still be very grindy if you let it. The actual activities have not really changed; they've just had tweaks to them such that you don't feel like you must raid in order to compete in pvp, or be awesome at pvp in order to be successful in the raid. Similarly the infusion change to 100% infusion has made finding new weapons and trying them out far less punishing. But the end game still doesn't really have a focus. Trials is arguably the pvp endgame goal, and that's a good one for pvp, but the raid is too formulaic to be a truly endgame activity for pve. Destiny needs an endless strike mode or survival mode that *isn't* the kind of FPS bullet hell nonsense that original PoE was. Adding points to more activities would help that (and helps focus how the designers would like the players to achieve their goals without outright forcing that).

But none of those things make the game not an MMO or suddenly more RPG-esque than it already is.

What the game really needs is a vastly more compelling plot hook to invest us in what we're doing. PvE endgame would benefit from community goals (kill 200,000 fallen captains this weekend) and PvP would benefit from the addition of AI bots for an endless arena mode that plays like PvP but is actually PvE. All in all, Destiny has a fantastic core gameplay feel, but the trappings of storytelling are lacking, as are meaningful activities for players who have already completed the raid and gone to the lighthouse.

Being an MMO or an RPG neither helps nor hinders how fun a game is. Having compelling activities for players do.

Well said.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 27, 2016, 16:50 (2858 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Here's what I think: Throw out the labels.

[image]

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:50 (2858 days ago) @ Kahzgul

FPS games? Great genre. MMO? It's not really an MMO so much as a loot-based FPS. Fundamentally these two elements work really well together and in a lovely and compelling way, which is why we're all still playing this game. There's a core framework that's genius. Movement, shooting, it's so, SO good.

The FPS elements are fantastic. The design of the raids is fantastic. The story missions less so. But still. It does feel great. But that does NOT mesh well with loot based design principles. There's nothing compelling about doing the same shit over and over again for bigger numbers. I've played 90% PvP, and tried the PoE with Ottermack since coming back. I wish I could play trials but I have no interest in grinding anything.

Which reminds me, does anyone know why I can't buy year two versions of the PoE exotics from the Kiosk?

Current destiny is a tad better. The taken enemies contrast well with their non-taken counterparts to make for more interesting combat (though AI is still crap), the new strikes are more mechanics based and interesting than the old ones (and the boss health rebalancing patch from a year or so ago was very much needed, as were the nightfall changes). RNG is less significant for getting viable weapons (though still needed for absolute top-tier loot), and the plot of TTK makes sense, including the raid element. Still almost no improvement to the endgame play loop, however.

The existence of the loop is the problem. Destiny needs to eliminate loops completely. After playing Uncharted and Mirror's Edge, I just roll my eyes at the idea of playing PoE score attack over and over. So I likely won't.

Bungie could stand to note that being more generous with loot that's still RNG based for roll in no way hurts their game. Even when I farmed up scads of Grasps last week, it turns out I didn't get any that usurped my other guns, and even if they did, they wouldn't have been game breakingly good. I'd rather play a game where many people have the best gun than only 1 lucky guy. That allows for more fair, even, and balanced PvP situations and finer raid tuning. I'm digressing...

So cut RNG entirely and make everything findable in the world or via a quest or mission, or way of doing a mission.

What? Are you saying massively multiplayer games are fundamentally bad?

Yes.

Are you saying Role Playing Games are fundamentally good?

Yeah, they kick ass. If they are done right, which is sadly not often.

But the end game still doesn't really have a focus.

I think they could do something similar to how when you beat the regicide mission in TTK, that was really just the beginning. There was a whole new quest line post game leading to the raid. This needs to be extended I think. So you'd raid, which would then lead to more story missions and another raid, etc, rather than just the hard mode.

PvE endgame would benefit from community goals (kill 200,000 fallen captains this weekend)

These types of things are shit. I'm sorry. Doing an easy thing 200,000 times sucks in comparison to doing something challenging and fun once. Destiny needs far fewer activities that involve doing easy things over and over.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:54 (2858 days ago) @ Cody Miller

PvE endgame would benefit from community goals (kill 200,000 fallen captains this weekend)

These types of things are shit. I'm sorry. Doing an easy thing 200,000 times sucks in comparison to doing something challenging and fun once. Destiny needs far fewer activities that involve doing easy things over and over.

Coming from Elite: Dangerous, I absolutely agree with Cody. The community goals in Elite are easy and grindy as hell. Any real fun came from the shenanigans the player base came up with around the community goal, as it was an excuse to get a lot of players together in a relatively small area.

Y2 Versions...

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, June 27, 2016, 18:04 (2858 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Which reminds me, does anyone know why I can't buy year two versions of the PoE exotics from the Kiosk?

Y2 versions of these are now drops that come from challenge of elders (random, at the end). There's also a new ghost shell that randomly drops there at the end. Week 1 a few of us did it over and over as fast as possible to get some decent light upgrades and unlock the exotics + ghost. (These drops go all the way up to 335) i think it was under 2 hours for all of us. Except cyber's 335 ghost. ;)

I am in need of some 335 secondaries for infusion, so I'd be happy to do this again at some point. Preferably when the skulls align with fast boss kills. No idea what they are this week...

Y2 Versions...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:51 (2858 days ago) @ slycrel

Y2 versions of these are now drops that come from challenge of elders (random, at the end). There's also a new ghost shell that randomly drops there at the end. Week 1 a few of us did it over and over as fast as possible to get some decent light upgrades and unlock the exotics + ghost. (These drops go all the way up to 335) i think it was under 2 hours for all of us. Except cyber's 335 ghost. ;)

I am in need of some 335 secondaries for infusion, so I'd be happy to do this again at some point. Preferably when the skulls align with fast boss kills. No idea what they are this week...

That's… not as bad as I thought. Anyone want to help me get those exotics? I really liked QBB.

Y2 Versions...

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:56 (2858 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's… not as bad as I thought. Anyone want to help me get those exotics? I really liked QBB.

This weeks' is pretty fun if you spec a Voidwalker to have energy drain proc as often as possible, and have "the nothing manacles".

Y2 Versions...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 27, 2016, 22:04 (2858 days ago) @ CyberKN

This weeks' is pretty fun if you spec a Voidwalker to have energy drain proc as often as possible, and have "the nothing manacles".

No joke! I ran it last night with Destroyoboy and Kupcake... As long as you get a kill with a grenade, it would recharge near-instantaneously :D

Y2 Versions...

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 18:23 (2856 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I still need them, if you notice this on the old thread.

Y2 Versions...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 22:05 (2856 days ago) @ Vortech

I still need them, if you notice this on the old thread.

Then you and I are going in.

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:35 (2858 days ago) @ Cody Miller

FPS games? Great genre. MMO? It's not really an MMO so much as a loot-based FPS. Fundamentally these two elements work really well together and in a lovely and compelling way, which is why we're all still playing this game. There's a core framework that's genius. Movement, shooting, it's so, SO good.

The FPS elements are fantastic. The design of the raids is fantastic. The story missions less so. But still. It does feel great. But that does NOT mesh well with loot based design principles. There's nothing compelling about doing the same shit over and over again for bigger numbers. I've played 90% PvP, and tried the PoE with Ottermack since coming back. I wish I could play trials but I have no interest in grinding anything.

I agree. That's why destiny needs endless modes, like endless dungeons and survival arenas etc. You better number gear would then let you survive for longer in those modes, instead of just giving you better numbers.

Gotta earn em again from CoE, I believe.

The existence of the loop is the problem. Destiny needs to eliminate loops completely. After playing Uncharted and Mirror's Edge, I just roll my eyes at the idea of playing PoE score attack over and over. So I likely won't.

Yeah, the endgame needs a lot of help. Keep in mind that just "ending" the story is effectively the same as having the endgame loop we have now. You're left with PvP or replaying the same stuff over again. PoE score attack is actually really fun. I enjoy the weekly puzzle of figuring out how to maximize points and play in different ways.

So cut RNG entirely and make everything findable in the world or via a quest or mission, or way of doing a mission.

I'd like this. I don't mind chance-adjascent mechanics where the finger is on the scale towards items you don't have, and I really wish we could use our weapons at the gunsmith to unlock permanent weapon creation options or something, eventually allowing us to roll whatever perks we wanted on custom guns. RNG loot needs to be super generous with its drops, or you need to make it so that all of those rare drops are actually useful.

What? Are you saying massively multiplayer games are fundamentally bad?

Yes.

I disagree. Allowing for lots of players to play a game at once does not automatically make the game crap.

Are you saying Role Playing Games are fundamentally good?

Yeah, they kick ass. If they are done right, which is sadly not often.

So they're not fundamentally good, but rather can be good if done right, just like all other genres of games.

But the end game still doesn't really have a focus.

I think they could do something similar to how when you beat the regicide mission in TTK, that was really just the beginning. There was a whole new quest line post game leading to the raid. This needs to be extended I think. So you'd raid, which would then lead to more story missions and another raid, etc, rather than just the hard mode.

I'd like this, too - and TTK did a pretty good job with this, but eventually you would reach an "endgame" state. What do you do then to keep the players interested? PvP is the easiest draw there, but holy cow does Destiny need to be better about anti-cheating measures and lag issues.

The Mass Effect ones were really fun, but I suppose that's because you had an active hand in it by choosing which enemy types you fought. I also think one of the best MMO world events of all time was the opening the gates of Ahn'Quiraj (I'm certain I spelled that incorrectly) in WoW, where the entire server needed to donate crafted items to the war effort, which then opened up a new quest area, which then opened up a really massive endgame questline, which eventually led to the opening of the two new endgame raids. Players of every level got a chance to participate in a meaningful way, and everyone got a reward of new content when it was finished, which was awesome. The servers also totally shit the bed when the gates were opened because of how many players packed into that one zone.

Anyway, I'm sure there's a way to implement community goals that would be fun.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, June 27, 2016, 23:02 (2858 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I'd like this, too - and TTK did a pretty good job with this, but eventually you would reach an "endgame" state. What do you do then to keep the players interested?

You don't. You let the game end, and players move on to something else until the next expansion or release. You don't keep them chasing higher numbers.

I still just don't get it.

I've come to understand that for as much as I love Destiny, I still really wish it was a different game altogether.

No one complained about lacking things to do in Halo Reach. They just kept playing because it was fun, and then when it wasn't they moved on to something else, and that was okay. It's okay in Destiny, too, but not the folks that stick around just complain about how little there is to do. If they just took the stupid level mechanics out of Destiny, it'd immediately be a better game, and people wouldn't feel like they were getting fucked when they played the game for four hours and didn't get the right drops.

by ProbablyLast, Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 02:33 (2858 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Hey Cody, you posted this from the wrong account.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 14:37 (2857 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'd like this, too - and TTK did a pretty good job with this, but eventually you would reach an "endgame" state. What do you do then to keep the players interested?

You don't. You let the game end, and players move on to something else until the next expansion or release. You don't keep them chasing higher numbers.

I still just don't get it.

I've come to understand that for as much as I love Destiny, I still really wish it was a different game altogether.

No one complained about lacking things to do in Halo Reach. They just kept playing because it was fun, and then when it wasn't they moved on to something else, and that was okay. It's okay in Destiny, too, but not the folks that stick around just complain about how little there is to do. If they just took the stupid level mechanics out of Destiny, it'd immediately be a better game, and people wouldn't feel like they were getting fucked when they played the game for four hours and didn't get the right drops.

The key difference here is how fun the moment to moment gameplay of reach was. The halo games had great variations in AI weapons and tactics with really, really fun vehicles. I said it when destiny came out: The gameplay of destiny has all the feel of a first attempt at what would eventually become Halo. It's just not as good.

I agree with this

by Raflection, Sunday, June 26, 2016, 15:17 (2859 days ago) @ slycrel

I bought an Xbox 1 for 2 reasons. 1) to have a better and more beautiful experience on Destiny
2) I knew the 360 was being abandoned and I needed to move on.

I've enjoyed my 360 for 8 years now, that a rediculous amount of longevity in a console and I'm happy I had stretch its use right to the end.

I agree it's a bit misleading in the sense of bungies statement

you take your guardian with you. A player will see a piece of gear and wonder how you got it and you can share your stories.

This is just bullshit. I bought the collectors and blacksmith edition of Destiny on Xbox 360. I can't re-buy these because they where only available at launch.

Now I can't even use the ship or ghost I gained with them because my character is now on the Xbone.

The shader carried across though? So bit confused there.

I agree with this

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, June 26, 2016, 19:08 (2859 days ago) @ Raflection

What can't you use? I have access to everthing as far as I know even though I originally came from the 360. If Destiny is not letting you use preorder content like the Frontier Shell see this post for a solution.

by Harmanimus @, Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:14 (2858 days ago) @ Kahzgul

As a tehcnical point: all you are paying for is a license to use software and the physical media that it may have been delivered on/with. When you buy a game you are not buying a game. You are buying access to someone elses game. You aren't even buying the bits that are stored on the disk itself. They are more of a carrier medium. It's the same with purchasing music/movies and is why you can legally make unlimited digital copies of music/movies as you want so long as they are backups of the media for use by you.

Games have always been purchased as services, it's only in games where validation is required to play that this becomes an issue for folks, though.

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:37 (2858 days ago) @ Harmanimus

As a tehcnical point: all you are paying for is a license to use software and the physical media that it may have been delivered on/with. When you buy a game you are not buying a game. You are buying access to someone elses game. You aren't even buying the bits that are stored on the disk itself. They are more of a carrier medium. It's the same with purchasing music/movies and is why you can legally make unlimited digital copies of music/movies as you want so long as they are backups of the media for use by you.

Games have always been purchased as services, it's only in games where validation is required to play that this becomes an issue for folks, though.

While I get your point, the courts in France disagree with you. Additionally, whether or not you're buying a service, the sales pitch for HoW was that you got a new game mode called trials of osiris. Not that you temporarily got that mode. While I agree that it's justifiable to abandon the 360 for future releases, I don't think it's right to tell everyone who bought the game on the older consoles that they are no longer able to get what they paid for, especially since the game was never sold to them as such.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 02:15 (2858 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Inwould be interested in the more narrow context of such a ruling. However, the key thing about it not being "sold as such" is that it also wasn't not sold as such. Having HoW was access to a living event. In the same way Queen's Wrath was supposed to be the PvE Iron Banner but that's sure gone. And they didn't really try to salvage it, if you ask me.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 14:41 (2857 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Inwould be interested in the more narrow context of such a ruling. However, the key thing about it not being "sold as such" is that it also wasn't not sold as such. Having HoW was access to a living event. In the same way Queen's Wrath was supposed to be the PvE Iron Banner but that's sure gone. And they didn't really try to salvage it, if you ask me.

Yes and no. They sold Destiny has having monthly live events. The first one was Queen's Wrath, which they eventually replaced with Iron Banner. I guess vanilla D wasn't sold with specific monthly events attached, but it was certainly sold with monthly events. HoW was similarly specifically sold with Trials of Osiris. So people who bought both are losing the monthly events they were promised in vanilla (whatsoever those might be), and trials, which they were specifically promised.

I honestly don't know how many people are going to be actually affected by this, but it really offends my sense of what's right and what's wrong.

Population can't support them

by electricpirate @, Monday, June 27, 2016, 20:47 (2858 days ago) @ Cody Miller

See this is bullshit.

The population of the 360 version is in the shitter right now. Last Iron banner was miserable with terrible, uneven, laggy matches and long match times. What happens when it's officially dead?

Population can't support them

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:39 (2858 days ago) @ electricpirate

See this is bullshit.

The population of the 360 version is in the shitter right now. Last Iron banner was miserable with terrible, uneven, laggy matches and long match times. What happens when it's officially dead?

I don't know. I imagine people stop playing? That being said, there's still quite a few people regularly playing Diablo 2, or CoD:MW2, so communities around great games tend not to die out all the way.

360 is 11 yrs old, time to move on

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, June 27, 2016, 13:53 (2858 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

While I agree . . .

by cheapLEY @, Monday, June 27, 2016, 16:38 (2858 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I don't think that's a good attitude to take.

Games as a service seems really sketchy to me, and this only illustrates that. Folks on the 360 and PS3 were sold a product, and now that product no longer works as advertised. That's a serious problem in my book.

While I agree . . .

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 27, 2016, 16:47 (2858 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don't think that's a good attitude to take.

Games as a service seems really sketchy to me, and this only illustrates that. Folks on the 360 and PS3 were sold a product, and now that product no longer works as advertised. That's a serious problem in my book.

I totally appreciate your point of view on this, but personally I just think it is fair to expect an always-online game to move along with current technology. Destiny is almost 2 years old, and as others have pointed out, the 360 is an 11 year old piece of hardware. It is certainly a shame for those few players still actively playing Destiny on the PS3 and 360, but Trials and IB are both parts of the "live" game and must move forward with current gear sets & light levels. In an ideal world, Bungie would keep a tiny portion of the live team dedicated to supporting the 360 and PS3, but given their ongoing struggle to generate content, I can't imagine that would be a worthwhile investment of resources.

While I agree . . .

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:30 (2858 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Is there anything we don't expect to move along with technology?

I mean it's not like people are all that surprised when parts for their 1998 Buick Century are discontinued.

We don't bleed people with leeches anymore either (ok ok now I'm taking the piss)!

While I agree . . .

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:32 (2858 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

We don't bleed people with leeches anymore either (ok ok now I'm taking the piss)!

WHAT?!

... I think I need a new doctor O_o

;p

While I agree . . .

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:34 (2858 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Glad to help you figure that out. Haha. ;)

While I agree . . .

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:41 (2858 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Is there anything we don't expect to move along with technology?

I mean it's not like people are all that surprised when parts for their 1998 Buick Century are discontinued.

In these cases the parts are licensed to others in order to allow micro-markets for replacement parts to open up.

Yes, we do, actually. My sister is a doctor and she had to take an entire class on proper leech administration. Believe it or not, leeches are very useful for some medical practices. She also had to learn how to administer maggots to rotten flesh in order to clean out the dead meat, so... yeah. Doctoring is gross.

While I agree . . .

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 12:21 (2856 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto
edited by uberfoop, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 12:24

Does Buick show up at their house and rip parts out of their car when the discontinuation rolls around?

Things work very differently for software licenses versus hardware purchases.

While I agree . . .

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 14:25 (2856 days ago) @ uberfoop

Does Buick show up at their house and rip parts out of their car when the discontinuation rolls around?

People are always quick to use the car analogy, and I've never actually seen it be anything close to accurate.

Good point, both of those were bad.

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 15:37 (2856 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

While I agree . . .

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 15:40 (2856 days ago) @ cheapLEY

People are always quick to use the car analogy, and I've never actually seen it be anything close to accurate.

Seems accurate to me. The requirements for regular maintenance no longer make sense, so the parts (or the support) stop. I figure that's what is going on here. Either that or they're stopping support so people are forced to buy the New Hotness.

While I agree . . .

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:39 (2858 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I totally appreciate your point of view on this, but personally I just think it is fair to expect an always-online game to move along with current technology. Destiny is almost 2 years old, and as others have pointed out, the 360 is an 11 year old piece of hardware. It is certainly a shame for those few players still actively playing Destiny on the PS3 and 360, but Trials and IB are both parts of the "live" game and must move forward with current gear sets & light levels. In an ideal world, Bungie would keep a tiny portion of the live team dedicated to supporting the 360 and PS3, but given their ongoing struggle to generate content, I can't imagine that would be a worthwhile investment of resources.

Why does it need to move forward? They literally have to do nothing. NOTHING. They just need to leave the switches and dials for the 360 and PS3 version in place, step away, and go work on the new stuff for current gen. Why can't they just leave it be 'as is' and just not actively support it?

While I agree . . .

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 27, 2016, 18:37 (2858 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why does it need to move forward? They literally have to do nothing. NOTHING.

How could you possibly know that? We know nothing about how Destiny's live-game system is broken up and deployed.

They just need to leave the switches and dials for the 360 and PS3 version in place, step away, and go work on the new stuff for current gen. Why can't they just leave it be 'as is' and just not actively support it?

Because "as is" doesn't apply to the "live game". When I say "live game", I'm talking about special events (remember, Trials and IB are both considered special events) with specially tailored loot tables that are unique within the game.

IB and Trials don't just "happen". They are curated events that Bungie pushes out to the servers every week/month. Somebody needs to setup the bounties and confirm the loot tables each and every time. They can't just "leave it as it is" on PS3/360 because it changes every time. So what you're suggesting would essentially double the amount of work that it takes to keep those events running (because somebody would now need to setup each event twice: 1 version for current gen, 1 version for old gen).

While I agree . . .

by cheapLEY @, Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:24 (2858 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

You're probably not wrong.

But for the type of game Bungie made, it seems like they made it in a really stupid way. It's like they didn't even consider what would happen when they abandoned the old consoles or what would happen to folks who don't get the newest DLC. They apparently just don't care, and that's shitty.

While I agree . . .

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:43 (2858 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You're probably not wrong.

But for the type of game Bungie made, it seems like they made it in a really stupid way. It's like they didn't even consider what would happen when they abandoned the old consoles or what would happen to folks who don't get the newest DLC. They apparently just don't care, and that's shitty.

This is so incredibly and painfully poignant to me. The design decisions of the vanilla destiny game reek of a lack of foresight, oversight, and caring for the player. TTK and the support since that time is better, but damn... The foundation that the game was built on is really a foundation of poor and short-sighted decisions.

Apparently not

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, June 27, 2016, 20:13 (2858 days ago) @ Cody Miller

To be fair, there would still be the issue of balancing stuff. Given it obviously won't be the exact same sandbox (new guns, armors, perks), current-gen wpuld have to rebalance separatly from old-gen. Maybe they don't have that capability without also killing the events.

Apparently not

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:45 (2858 days ago) @ ZackDark

To be fair, there would still be the issue of balancing stuff. Given it obviously won't be the exact same sandbox (new guns, armors, perks), current-gen wpuld have to rebalance separatly from old-gen. Maybe they don't have that capability without also killing the events.

It seems weird to me that they couldn't just lock current gen into a time capsule and have trials continue to give current gen the same rewards they get now in perpetuity. We already know there's no one at the wheel when it comes to random bounties and rewards since bungie de facto admitted that when they launched with bounties able to show up on day one of an event that said things like "wear the shader, emblem, and class item and kill 10 guardians" which was physically impossible to do. And rather than add a human curator to dummy check these things, they just removed the potentially impossible bounties from the rotation.

Apparently not

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:54 (2858 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by CyberKN, Monday, June 27, 2016, 22:01

It seems weird to me that they couldn't just lock current gen into a time capsule and have trials continue to give current gen the same rewards they get now in perpetuity. We already know there's no one at the wheel when it comes to random bounties and rewards since bungie de facto admitted that when they launched with bounties able to show up on day one of an event that said things like "wear the shader, emblem, and class item and kill 10 guardians" which was physically impossible to do. And rather than add a human curator to dummy check these things, they just removed the potentially impossible bounties from the rotation.

The only explanation is that Trials was originally conceived and built to be something like Iron Banner, and at some point the design changed to it occurring very regularly and frequently. I suspect that if they had wanted trials to be a weekly activity from the start, they would have built the systems to do as you suggest.

It feels like something changed and they didn't have the resources to future-proof it.

Apparently not

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 14:41 (2857 days ago) @ CyberKN

It feels like something changed and they didn't have the resources to future-proof it.

Kind of all of Destiny feels this way.

I hope removing the limitations of last gen improve Destiny

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 15:30 (2856 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I really feel the game was crippled by last gen and spreading developers too thin.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 18:37 (2856 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

I really feel the game was crippled by last gen and spreading developers too thin.

I agree, but I'm also sad for our brothers in old consoles who will be getting their game neutered in August.

More like it won't hit puberty.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 18:41 (2856 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 12:48 (2855 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I agree, but I'm also sad for our brothers in old consoles who will be getting their game neutered in August.

Me too. As with most, it doesn't affect me, as I've never played on a last-gen console, but it still sucks on principle.

It seems weird to me, too, that they would choose this expansion. It seems like Destiny 2 would be a more natural point to drop support for the old consoles. I imagine it's just about division of labor and resources at this point, and maybe TTK didn't sell all that many copies on old consoles or something.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 13:18 (2855 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Me too. As with most, it doesn't affect me, as I've never played on a last-gen console, but it still sucks on principle.

It seems weird to me, too, that they would choose this expansion. It seems like Destiny 2 would be a more natural point to drop support for the old consoles. I imagine it's just about division of labor and resources at this point, and maybe TTK didn't sell all that many copies on old consoles or something.

Probably. I mean, we're a fairly large community, and do you see many active last-gen people here?

I think it's matter of realistic expectations. Everyone knew Destiny was a ten-year game. Did anyone realistically expect it to continue to be supported on last gen for more than a few years?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 13:49 (2855 days ago) @ Kermit

Probably. I mean, we're a fairly large community, and do you see many active last-gen people here?

I think it's matter of realistic expectations. Everyone knew Destiny was a ten-year game. Did anyone realistically expect it to continue to be supported on last gen for more than a few years?

I assume there are business/financial reasons for this (ditching last gen now, rather than waiting until Des2ny). Releasing any game or expansion on a console brings with it a substantial cost to the developer/publisher. Between licensing & cert, platform-specific development, testing and support, the financial obligation is significant.

I'm sure people at Bungie and Activision looked at TTK sales on 360 and PS3, looked at the current player-base on those platforms, did the math, and realized it just wasn't financially worthwhile to continue supporting the 360 and PS3.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 14:02 (2855 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm sure people at Bungie and Activision looked at TTK sales on 360 and PS3, looked at the current player-base on those platforms, did the math, and realized it just wasn't financially worthwhile to continue supporting the 360 and PS3.

Yeah, apparently ~10% of active players are on legacy consoles, so you can definitely see their reason. And that's not counting the number that may not have bought TTK, estimated drop off rates, or estimated upgrade percentages.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 15:36 (2855 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah, apparently ~10% of active players are on legacy consoles, so you can definitely see their reason.

I'd love to see the real numbers one day.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 20:52 (2855 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I assume there are business/financial reasons for this (ditching last gen now, rather than waiting until Des2ny). Releasing any game or expansion on a console brings with it a substantial cost to the developer/publisher. Between licensing & cert, platform-specific development, testing and support, the financial obligation is significant.

This is ancient history, but back when I worked on the "Adventures of Lego Island" video game, Microsoft paid us extra to develop it just for windows 95 exclusively instead of making it backwards compatible with Windows 3.1. If that sort of strategy was viable way back then, I imagine it could be used today as well. *I have no evidence that this is the case with regards to Destiny*; I'm merely pointing out historic precedent.

Lego Island

by squidnh3, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 21:26 (2855 days ago) @ Kahzgul

This is ancient history, but back when I worked on the "Adventures of Lego Island" video game

That's awesome, I spent quite a bit of time playing that game. I think it must have already been older when I got it, because I had Lego Racers first. I hated the driving part, because the controls were clunky compared to Lego Racers and I always got smashed by the giant boulder, but throwing pizzas at the Brickster was hilarious.

That game was *awesome!*

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 21:34 (2855 days ago) @ squidnh3

[image]

I still have it + the instruction manual/comic-book-magazine thing it came with.

And for a game aimed at kids, the dialogue/acting is waaaaaaaaay better than it has any right to be.

oh, and Lego Racers was also phenomenal.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread