You can control what you get from faction rank up packages (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 27, 2016, 03:25 (2859 days ago)

If your inventory is full when you go to open a faction reward, you will be unable to redeem the reward if it is for that slot. Backing out and speaking to the faction representative again will present you with a new, rerolled faction package.

As a result, you can dictate which slots you get faction items for by filling your inventory for all other slots and just backing out and rerolling until you get an item for the slot you want.

Example: I want a longbow synthesis from Lord Shaxx. If I rank up with crucible and then fill my inventory for primary weapons, heavy weapons, ghosts, helmets, gloves, chests, boots, and class items, and have empty space only in the secondary weapon inventory area, then I can guarantee I will receive a secondary weapon, greatly increasing my chance to pull a longbow. If I talk to shaxx and the reward package is for a different item slot, it will be greyed out and I'll be unable to accept it. Backing out and talking to him again will reroll for a different slot, and doing this repeatedly will eventually roll you a reward for the only category of item you have room for. In my example: A secondary weapon.

I could finally get boots!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, June 27, 2016, 03:32 (2859 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

O_O Good god, this is game-changing

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, June 27, 2016, 03:51 (2859 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

You can control what you get from faction rank up packages

by Claude Errera @, Monday, June 27, 2016, 04:56 (2859 days ago) @ Kahzgul

If your inventory is full when you go to open a faction reward, you will be unable to redeem the reward if it is for that slot. Backing out and speaking to the faction representative again will present you with a new, rerolled faction package.

As a result, you can dictate which slots you get faction items for by filling your inventory for all other slots and just backing out and rerolling until you get an item for the slot you want.

Example: I want a longbow synthesis from Lord Shaxx. If I rank up with crucible and then fill my inventory for primary weapons, heavy weapons, ghosts, helmets, gloves, chests, boots, and class items, and have empty space only in the secondary weapon inventory area, then I can guarantee I will receive a secondary weapon, greatly increasing my chance to pull a longbow. If I talk to shaxx and the reward package is for a different item slot, it will be greyed out and I'll be unable to accept it. Backing out and talking to him again will reroll for a different slot, and doing this repeatedly will eventually roll you a reward for the only category of item you have room for. In my example: A secondary weapon.

I'm totally confused; I redeem rewards for full slots nearly every day. They just go straight to the postmaster. (Happened twice tonight; once with Shaxx and once with Variks.)

What m I doing differently?

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 27, 2016, 05:42 (2859 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'm totally confused; I redeem rewards for full slots nearly every day. They just go straight to the postmaster. (Happened twice tonight; once with Shaxx and once with Variks.)

I'm unsure. I tested this with New Monarchy rep. Having full cloaks is what tipped me off - I couldn't redeem my package, so I backed out, forgot to delete the extra blue cloak, went back in and got a special weapon. Then I went and filled all of my armor slots, primary, and heavy and ghost slots and burned 200 motes and it took me 7 tries to get a package I could redeem, which gave me a special weapon. To be fair, this is a sample size of 2, and is really only a sample size of one full-blown test, but that one test seemed pretty conclusive (6 attempts to redeem were greyed out, one was successful and gave me the only item type I could still carry on my person).

I figured this was a change from the latest patch, because I've certainly had things hit the postmaster before, but tonight it worked as I describe here. If you're seeing something different then there must be a missing element. I had space for both ships and shaders, and I have the exotic cloak for New Monarchy. Or maybe it only happens with the three tower factions?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, June 27, 2016, 09:42 (2859 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Had you ranked up a faction twice in a row? As in dumping a ton of motes or heavy ammo into the faction before exiting?

If you rank up and then keep leveling your faction when you hit your second package you won't be able to accept it until you back out of menu and speak to the faction vendor again

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Monday, June 27, 2016, 12:16 (2859 days ago) @ unoudid

I see the same thing - if the drop is for a gear slot that's already full it goes directly to the postmaster. If I rank up multiple ranks at once (thank you heavy ammo synths), the second or third package can't be redeemed until I leave the vendor menu and then return.

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 27, 2016, 13:30 (2859 days ago) @ Chappy

I see the same thing - if the drop is for a gear slot that's already full it goes directly to the postmaster. If I rank up multiple ranks at once (thank you heavy ammo synths), the second or third package can't be redeemed until I leave the vendor menu and then return.

For my test it was only one rank up at a time, and when I filled my inventory except for the special weapon slot, I had to talk to him 7 time before I could finally accept the package.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, June 27, 2016, 14:00 (2859 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I've had the same experience. Perhaps when Kahzgul was testing this, there was some problem preventing the Postmaster from working?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 27, 2016, 14:02 (2859 days ago) @ stabbim

I've had the same experience. Perhaps when Kahzgul was testing this, there was some problem preventing the Postmaster from working?

I bet Kahzgul is right, and it works only with Tower factions (for now, anyway--now that the cat's out of the bag, Bungie will probably fix it. Gee, thanks, Kahzgul. :))

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 27, 2016, 14:35 (2858 days ago) @ Kermit

I bet Kahzgul is right, and it works only with Tower factions (for now, anyway--now that the cat's out of the bag, Bungie will probably fix it. Gee, thanks, Kahzgul. :))

You're welcome! Oh, wait... that was sarcasm, wasn't it?

Seriously this seems to warrant additional testing, so if anyone has a bajillion motes of light sitting around, help would be appreciated.

Huh...possible new info:

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 27, 2016, 14:51 (2858 days ago) @ Kermit

Your comment sparked my memory here - I just switched to New Monarchy this week after finally getting all possible FWC reward items. I wonder if only factions you were a part of at the weekly reset can mail to the postmaster?

Mine just end up in the postmaster

by Durandal, Monday, June 27, 2016, 14:09 (2858 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I've had full inventories, and the box is never grayed out. I pull it, get some motes and materials, then the item shows up in the post master (my 105th machine gun, for example).

+1

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, June 27, 2016, 14:19 (2858 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

Mine just end up in the postmaster

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 27, 2016, 14:34 (2858 days ago) @ Durandal

I've had full inventories, and the box is never grayed out. I pull it, get some motes and materials, then the item shows up in the post master (my 105th machine gun, for example).

This has been my experience in the past as well, but last night it was demonstrably doable with New Monarchy.

I'm curious how this even works

by Durandal, Monday, June 27, 2016, 14:45 (2858 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I thought like engrams the faction rewards are not generated until you click on them, so you would have to click on the package, it generates rewards, checks your inventory, then aborts and rests if your inventory is full?

What does it do with motes, materials and glimmer? can you farm it for unlimited motes and glimmer by filling all your inventory slots?

It just seems like you have some odd behavior going on.

I'm curious how this even works

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 27, 2016, 14:50 (2858 days ago) @ Durandal

I thought like engrams the faction rewards are not generated until you click on them, so you would have to click on the package, it generates rewards, checks your inventory, then aborts and rests if your inventory is full?

What does it do with motes, materials and glimmer? can you farm it for unlimited motes and glimmer by filling all your inventory slots?

It just seems like you have some odd behavior going on.

It appears that the faction rewards are generated when the dialogue to receive the reward shows up, and not when you click on it.

Reddit reports this appears to be server lag

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 27, 2016, 19:39 (2858 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The reddit test team of /r/DestinyTheGame has graciously helped me research this, with limited (and very likely coincidental) success. It seems that the issue is more likely server lag than any form of actual exploit. Oh well.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread