Different raid strategies for different platforms. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 27, 2016, 13:48 (2860 days ago)

It's fun playing on two platforms. Each group seems to have their own strategy, and often are skeptical that there might be a different way of doing things.

Some examples:

I don't like to take the aura for the Warpriest (I'm getting better at it, though). For that reason, I like taking the left because it usually gets the aura only once, and my partner can take it. Not so on the Xbox, where zero stays front left! (Maybe it’s just a Zero thing.) This is good though, because it's given me practice playing the center position.

For Golgy, the PS4 crowd likes to have the gaze holder stand on top of the crates, and have just about everyone else go into the front-left cave with a bubble. Because Golgy looks down, you can, with good aim, hit a vulnerable spot on the top of his head. I find this difficult and much prefer the Xbox crew’s strategy of distracting him with a bubble on the back right bridge. This works well because there are many people quickly taking down the orb, and it’s hard to miss the large target on Golgoroth’s back. Because I can see the orb in my scope the second it falls, the timing of taking his gaze is always nearly perfect, whereas on the PS4 it’s not uncommon to have too many people downstairs not shooting the orb or for the gaze holder to miss his or her shot and struggle to take the gaze. I’ve tried getting the PS4 crew to try the bubble in back, but I think it seems like a crazy waste of resources to them, and we invariably revert to the gaze holder on the crates strategy. I think both groups now have gaze holders 2-5 run a circuit around the map, so that’s a good thing.

And then there’s Sisters/Oryx platform terminology …. :) I prefer spawn left/right, Saturn left/right. Despite my personal preferences, I enjoy playing with all y’all. (The PS4 crew has had more experience playing with me, and they’ve shown the patience of Job.) I’m not making this post to be judgmental—no strategies I’ve encountered with DBOers are nearly as weird as what I’ve run across playing with randos. Most raid fights boil down to timing and DPS, and it’s often best to go with what most people are familiar with.

Have any of the other dual-platformers run across other differences?

Oh, I just thought of another difference...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 27, 2016, 13:53 (2860 days ago) @ Kermit

But I think the strategy would be the same on both platforms if the game acted the same. PS4 guardians stand in the doorway of Atheon's vault and snipe the gatekeeper until he's dead. The Xbox gatekeeper doesn't stand for that, and teleports away before you can kill him.

XBOX > PS

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, June 27, 2016, 14:18 (2860 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Different raid strategies for different platforms.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, June 27, 2016, 14:46 (2860 days ago) @ Kermit

It's fun playing on two platforms. Each group seems to have their own strategy, and often are skeptical that there might be a different way of doing things.

For Golgy, the PS4 crowd likes to have the gaze holder stand on top of the crates, and have just about everyone else go into the front-left cave with a bubble. Because Golgy looks down, you can, with good aim, hit a vulnerable spot on the top of his head. I find this difficult and much prefer the Xbox crew’s strategy of distracting him with a bubble on the back right bridge. This works well because there are many people quickly taking down the orb, and it’s hard to miss the large target on Golgoroth’s back. Because I can see the orb in my scope the second it falls, the timing of taking his gaze is always nearly perfect, whereas on the PS4 it’s not uncommon to have too many people downstairs not shooting the orb or for the gaze holder to miss his or her shot and struggle to take the gaze. I’ve tried getting the PS4 crew to try the bubble in back, but I think it seems like a crazy waste of resources to them, and we invariably revert to the gaze holder on the crates strategy. I think both groups now have gaze holders 2-5 run a circuit around the map, so that’s a good thing.

Maybe it's a Deeply Flawed Raider thing, but on PS4, we've only ever done the thing with the back bridge on Golgoroth.

And then there’s Sisters/Oryx platform terminology …. :) I prefer spawn left/right, Saturn left/right. Despite my personal preferences, I enjoy playing with all y’all. (The PS4 crew has had more experience playing with me, and they’ve shown the patience of Job.) I’m not making this post to be judgmental—no strategies I’ve encountered with DBOers are nearly as weird as what I’ve run across playing with randos. Most raid fights boil down to timing and DPS, and it’s often best to go with what most people are familiar with.

It's a bit frustrating having to "dumb it down" for folks (seriously, how hard is it to learn points on a grid?), but I have to remember that to this day, there are folks who still say "Mars" and "Venus" when fighting Atheon, so maybe I give folks too much credit when it comes to logic. :P
But yeh, it depends on the group that you're with, not exclusive to platform. I've played with a group on PS4 that calls the Sister platforms "Back Left" and such, which is less than ideal, but you try your best to remember which "back" the group has decided is which (I did an LFG group on Xbox where the guy decided that the top (Left) platform on Warpriest was "Right", since it was on his right when he stood behind the Warpriest, and he didn't like that the five other people wanted to correct him.

Have any of the other dual-platformers run across other differences?

The Gorgons.

On PS4, we just run to the cave by curving around the right (easy!).
On Xbox we have to go up the middle rock, jump to the left, and then hop to the big rock before scurrying to the door (classic!).

Again, it depends on the individual groups more than the platforms

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 27, 2016, 15:02 (2860 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Kermit, Monday, June 27, 2016, 15:06

Maybe it's a Deeply Flawed Raider thing, but on PS4, we've only ever done the thing with the back bridge on Golgoroth.

I don't get to play with the late-night crew very much. :( You're right, though, it's group difference, not platform difference. It feels like platform difference because I tend to play with the same people except when I play on a different platform.

It's a bit frustrating having to "dumb it down" for folks (seriously, how hard is it to learn points on a grid?), but I have to remember that to this day, there are folks who still say "Mars" and "Venus" when fighting Atheon, so maybe I give folks too much credit when it comes to logic. :P
But yeh, it depends on the group that you're with, not exclusive to platform. I've played with a group on PS4 that calls the Sister platforms "Back Left" and such, which is less than ideal, but you try your best to remember which "back" the group has decided is which (I did an LFG group on Xbox where the guy decided that the top (Left) platform on Warpriest was "Right", since it was on his right when he stood behind the Warpriest, and he didn't like that the five other people wanted to correct him.

I remember playing with someone who did the same. Like, dude, why does the whole room have to transpose to compensate for your unwillingness to transpose?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 27, 2016, 15:06 (2860 days ago) @ Korny

You need to raid with us more often ;)

Granted, I don't raid very often these days either, but it's probably been 5 or 6 months since I've run with a group that used the back-right platform as a starting point for Golgoroth.

I really like the technique of having the gaze-taker stand on the boxes at the front-left side of the platform because it maximizes the opportunity to do as much damage as possible. Since the gaze-taker is directly above the rest of the fireteam (who is hiding in a bubble down below), Golgoroth is already facing the appropriate direction. There is zero time wasted waiting for him to rotate around. Also, because all 5 damage dealers are already in firing position, there is no time wasted waiting for anyone to run back from the back-right platform. As to Kermit's concern, the gaze taker should be able to drop the orb all by themselves using a heavy machine gun. No need for help from the rest of the fireteam :)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 27, 2016, 15:29 (2860 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Granted, I don't raid very often these days either, but it's probably been 5 or 6 months since I've run with a group that used the back-right platform as a starting point for Golgoroth.

I really like the technique of having the gaze-taker stand on the boxes at the front-left side of the platform because it maximizes the opportunity to do as much damage as possible. Since the gaze-taker is directly above the rest of the fireteam (who is hiding in a bubble down below), Golgoroth is already facing the appropriate direction. There is zero time wasted waiting for him to rotate around. Also, because all 5 damage dealers are already in firing position, there is no time wasted waiting for anyone to run back from the back-right platform. As to Kermit's concern, the gaze taker should be able to drop the orb all by themselves using a heavy machine gun. No need for help from the rest of the fireteam :)

So the gaze holder has to take down the orb AND grab the gaze? Sheesh! Maybe that's efficient for all you crackerjack flawless raiders, but I prefer to trade a little less efficiency for a little more room for error.

I've never played the crate strategy where at some point the timing didn't get off and we weren't waiting for the gaze to be taken or for the orb to drop, whereas numerous times on the xbox using the back distraction strategy, the orb dropped and gaze was taken simultaneously.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 27, 2016, 16:01 (2860 days ago) @ Kermit

So the gaze holder has to take down the orb AND grab the gaze? Sheesh! Maybe that's efficient for all you crackerjack flawless raiders, but I prefer to trade a little less efficiency for a little more room for error.

Yeah the gaze-taker needs to be on the ball, but it's not too tricky. You don't want to take the gaze until the bubble is down anyway, so there's no need to pull someone else out of position to accomplish what is really a 1-person job. The toughest part is hitting the crit-shot on Golgoroth from that angle, but once you get the hang of it, it is quite manageable. That way you get a full group of 5 guardians wailing on Golgoroth for the entire gaze (minus the 2nd gaze taker, but they still have time to do some damage before moving into position to take the gaze). I find it way more effective than using up 4-5 seconds on waiting for Golgy to rotate and having players run from one side of the room to the other.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 27, 2016, 16:16 (2860 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Yeah the gaze-taker needs to be on the ball, but it's not too tricky. You don't want to take the gaze until the bubble is down anyway, so there's no need to pull someone else out of position to accomplish what is really a 1-person job. The toughest part is hitting the crit-shot on Golgoroth from that angle, but once you get the hang of it, it is quite manageable. That way you get a full group of 5 guardians wailing on Golgoroth for the entire gaze (minus the 2nd gaze taker, but they still have time to do some damage before moving into position to take the gaze). I find it way more effective than using up 4-5 seconds on waiting for Golgy to rotate and having players run from one side of the room to the other.

Some of us can't predictably be on the ball every time. Except for maybe Cyber, I've never played with anyone who didn't miss that shot at some point, possibly wiping but definitely wasting precious seconds while the bubble and buff time out. Contrast that with consistently and easily getting the gaze at precisely (and I mean precisely) the same moment when the orb falls. When you factor in that weaker players often are lower rank and should take the gaze for DPS reasons, you can see why I like the back distraction method.

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, June 27, 2016, 16:27 (2860 days ago) @ Kermit

Having done this fight 4 different ways, I tend to agree that the way cruel is talking about is logistically easiest overall. The logistics, other than I guess holding the gaze, focus on the challenge mode mechanics.

Everyone has a role to play. If someone isn't able to DPS reliably, I don't see the harm in having them learn to hold the gaze in this way over 2-3 attempts. It's no easier or harder than any other job. But it does require someone to know how the mechanics of the fight work and be familiar with golgoroth's soft spot. Which is easy to teach. Assuming the DPS does it's job (heh) I'm pretty sure you can get it done in 2 gaze holds with this method (or more if your DPS is lower).

Personally I am disappointed that the seeming "intended" way the fight should run, which is having 2 gaze holders swap back and forth, 1 person on thrall duty + some DPS, and the other 3 doing DPS on the boss makes a ton of teamwork sense to me. Yet that's harder to do and requires "more", so nobody does it that way anymore.

There are a ton of ways to approach that fight. In the end everyone needs to be going in the same direction or it won't work regardless of what you're going for.

^ What he said :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 27, 2016, 16:48 (2860 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

That's how our blind team did it

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, June 27, 2016, 20:01 (2860 days ago) @ slycrel

I sure miss that. It was a blast.

That's how our blind team did it

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 23:38 (2859 days ago) @ ZackDark

I sure miss that. It was a blast.

We did as well. I don't think we ever got all six orbs per round, but we constantly got 4 or 5.

Much more fun than the "efficient" way

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 23:46 (2859 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

+1

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 20:58 (2858 days ago) @ ZackDark

That was fun.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 14:06 (2858 days ago) @ slycrel

Having done this fight 4 different ways, I tend to agree that the way cruel is talking about is logistically easiest overall. The logistics, other than I guess holding the gaze, focus on the challenge mode mechanics.

Everyone has a role to play. If someone isn't able to DPS reliably, I don't see the harm in having them learn to hold the gaze in this way over 2-3 attempts. It's no easier or harder than any other job. But it does require someone to know how the mechanics of the fight work and be familiar with golgoroth's soft spot. Which is easy to teach. Assuming the DPS does it's job (heh) I'm pretty sure you can get it done in 2 gaze holds with this method (or more if your DPS is lower).

Easy is in the eye of the beholder (often I feel like I play in a different Destiny universe than many of you). As I said, except for when Cyber held it, my gaze holders haven't been flawless on top of the crate. (I certainly haven't been--whereas I have been as the gaze holder following the other strategy.) One wipe wipes out any efficiency gains. I'll do both, and hope to get better from the top of the crate, but I think it'll always feel more stressful and more susceptible to error.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 18:02 (2858 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm following you, but even if it's true that missing a shot wipes out the efficiency gains that still means it's dead even for that one part of the fight and you have the promise of possible future efficiency In the other parts of the fight. If the alternative is at worse the same, and at best better, I'd take the alternative.

a different way?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 10:40 (2857 days ago) @ Kermit

Easy is in the eye of the beholder (often I feel like I play in a different Destiny universe than many of you). As I said, except for when Cyber held it, my gaze holders haven't been flawless on top of the crate. (I certainly haven't been--whereas I have been as the gaze holder following the other strategy.) One wipe wipes out any efficiency gains. I'll do both, and hope to get better from the top of the crate, but I think it'll always feel more stressful and more susceptible to error.

Okay, so last the Xbox crew did the bridge distraction strat, and I think it would've gone smoother if I weren't out of practice (sorry!) or if we'd not had Funkmon's shenanigans (GRRRR!).

There seemed to be more of a problem than I remember getting him distracted. What if the number one gaze holder was on the back bridge, and the number two gaze holder held it during the damage phase? Why wouldn't that work?

a different way?

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 17:19 (2857 days ago) @ Kermit

It would work, but your #1 gaze holder would have to run down to the bubble after the 5 or so seconds that golgoroth takes to open back up again for #2 to take it. Also Golgoroth would be facing away from the bubble group and have to turn around, only allowing DPS to hit golgoroth pretty well after #2 picked it up. Basically you lose DPS time, assuming I understand what you're proposing.

With the boxes method he's already pointing his belly at the group, you grab it and everyone starts shooting. No rush, a single scout rifle shot to his back will get his attention for me. Dunno what a pulse or AR would take, I expect the same from a hand cannon with the right range.

a different way?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 17:53 (2857 days ago) @ slycrel

It would work, but your #1 gaze holder would have to run down to the bubble after the 5 or so seconds that golgoroth takes to open back up again for #2 to take it. Also Golgoroth would be facing away from the bubble group and have to turn around, only allowing DPS to hit golgoroth pretty well after #2 picked it up. Basically you lose DPS time, assuming I understand what you're proposing.

With the boxes method he's already pointing his belly at the group, you grab it and everyone starts shooting. No rush, a single scout rifle shot to his back will get his attention for me. Dunno what a pulse or AR would take, I expect the same from a hand cannon with the right range.

The boxes method is fine if people consistently can take his gaze from there. I find that hard to do consistently, so I'm not talking about that. The concern about having more DPS time doesn't matter if you fail to execute, and I'm pretty sure the designers intended for him to turn before taking damage regardless, so I don't really get that it's now unacceptable to have to wait for him to turn.

a different way?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 30, 2016, 18:10 (2857 days ago) @ Kermit

I prefer the consistently pull-off-able method of having Golgy turn than the "god dammit, where the hell is his hitbox, he is ogre facing me, I'm dead" method too.

I apparently misunderstood your question. Carry on.

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 18:28 (2857 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

And here I thought it would be weapon specific

by Durandal, Monday, June 27, 2016, 14:49 (2860 days ago) @ Kermit

Like Zen Meteor is the new Black Hammer or something.

On a related note I've done Golg both ways on Xbox. The problem with the crate method is timing, and people who can't get the timing right on the lower cave bubble. Having the distraction on the bridge allows the team to focus the orb down much more safely.

Too bad the team I was with on Saturday couldn't even get that part right :( They kept jumping down before popping the bubble.

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 27, 2016, 14:58 (2860 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm on PS4 and have noticed differences just raid crew to raid crew.

First time I ran Golg we did the crate thing, but distracting with one guy in the back is waaaay easier.

Sisters/oryx platforms I've got through a lot of iterations of what to call them, and the one my raid uses now is that the first platform to be jumped on (regardless of where it is) is platform #1, and the same guy is always platform 1, the same guy is always 2, etc.. That leaves one guy as a "swing" for sisters if a platformer is in the shadow realm, or for oryx if someone dies. This is not really a strategy I'd use with a new player, but with experienced people who get the fight mechanics, it is super easy and keeps everyone's role and timing the same.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 27, 2016, 15:05 (2860 days ago) @ Kahzgul

First time I ran Golg we did the crate thing, but distracting with one guy in the back is waaaay easier.

Sisters/oryx platforms I've got through a lot of iterations of what to call them, and the one my raid uses now is that the first platform to be jumped on (regardless of where it is) is platform #1, and the same guy is always platform 1, the same guy is always 2, etc.. That leaves one guy as a "swing" for sisters if a platformer is in the shadow realm, or for oryx if someone dies. This is not really a strategy I'd use with a new player, but with experienced people who get the fight mechanics, it is super easy and keeps everyone's role and timing the same.

I like that approach, but I'd like to have that approach for both the sisters and Oryx fight. Sometimes I've had people want to do it one way for sisters and another way for Oryx.

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 27, 2016, 15:07 (2860 days ago) @ Kermit

I like that approach, but I'd like to have that approach for both the sisters and Oryx fight. Sometimes I've had people want to do it one way for sisters and another way for Oryx.

Why on earth would you change in the middle? It's the same dang room and the same dang mechanics!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 27, 2016, 15:30 (2860 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Why on earth would you change in the middle? It's the same dang room and the same dang mechanics!

That's what I said, er, thought. People have strong feelings about raid strategies.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 18:12 (2858 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I recognize that this shouldn't really be a reason for a decision but my biggest problem with this strategy is that it seems designed to accommodate people who don't normally play together. It's designed to reduce or eliminate communication and team-monitoring during the fight. It feels cold, somehow.

Weird, I don't do any of those

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, June 27, 2016, 15:10 (2860 days ago) @ Kermit

But then I predominantly play(ed) with a non-DBO group when the expansion came out and strategies were being formed.

It's just a zero thing. Holdover from the first week.

by Funkmon @, Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:22 (2860 days ago) @ Kermit

I think Zero might have been the first guy to notice that the pillars lit up, so that's just his job now.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:33 (2860 days ago) @ Funkmon

I think Zero might have been the first guy to notice that the pillars lit up, so that's just his job now.

I just love the idea that Raid groups should assign roles based on whoever discovers each mechanic :D

"You figured it out! Good. You do it" lol

That's why I play dumb most of the time.

by ProbablyLast, Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:37 (2860 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The rest of the time it isn't an act.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:36 (2860 days ago) @ Funkmon

Lol. Thinking back we totally missed the fact they lit up, so we did trial and error for each round. Try top. Nope? Try middle. Yes! Try top. no? Try Right. Okay! But we still beat him.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, June 27, 2016, 18:21 (2860 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Lol. Thinking back we totally missed the fact they lit up, so we did trial and error for each round. Try top. Nope? Try middle. Yes! Try top. no? Try Right. Okay! But we still beat him.

We thought the symbols on the pillar indicated the order.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, June 27, 2016, 18:38 (2860 days ago) @ bluerunner
edited by CyberKN, Monday, June 27, 2016, 18:46

We thought the symbols on the pillar indicated the order.

We did too.

"The hamburger isn't on any of them!"

The long moment of silence where we're just trying to work out these symbols (like the idiots we are) is in my top 3 favorite moments from that blind raid. (timecode 2:10:21)

So full of awesome

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, June 27, 2016, 19:06 (2860 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Note to self: Warpriest starts around 1:40

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Monday, June 27, 2016, 19:28 (2860 days ago) @ CyberKN

My raid group spend way too much time figuring out the glyph sequence - we were convinced the glowing runes on the towers described the order.

Blind KF raid is best raid

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, June 27, 2016, 20:04 (2860 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Blind KF raid is best raid

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 15:42 (2859 days ago) @ ZackDark

It was definitely fun. Grueling at times, but fun.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 17:56 (2858 days ago) @ Kermit

Another group that I raid with frequently likes to name the platforms in Oryx's room after the person who most commonly takes that platform. (e.g. "We're starting on Greg's platform") This is already difficult for me to remember given that I play with other groups, but it's especially difficult for me when we refer to that platform by the name of the person who normally gets it, but does not happen to even be on the raid that night.

That sounds like hell to me, lol

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 17:57 (2858 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 18:10 (2858 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Haha

I've tried getting them into a more Impersonal strategy but it usually causes more pain than it relieves. In a way it's actually a bit like the people upthread who were complaining about having some single person who wanted the rest of the group to conform just to make things more comfortable for them. If five other people find this easier way to do it, I'll just go along with it.

On the other hand, they'll have to be a little bit patient with me since I keep running to the wrong platform or screaming "I don't know who's platform that is!"* In truth, I feel like i'm letting them down, not the opposite.

Also, this is the group I did the raid with where they were all completely blind going into the raid months after I had been doing it with the PS 4 late-night crew. In a way, I guess I conditioned myself to just stay quiet and go along with whatever they were deciding to do. That was an amazing experience, by the way. It's fascinating to watch people try to work out the raid in real-time when you know what the answers are.

*OK, those of you who play with me know I'm never screaming, but it's a funnier visual if I use that word.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 19:33 (2858 days ago) @ Vortech

I've had this happen naturally when platform assignments are static, especially with teams who were struggling through and wiping a lot. After a while, everyone starts associating platforms with names because that's where they've lived for the last hour, man! Squatter's rights!

I hope Greg was the guy's gamertag and not his real name. That would add another layer of confusion. This brings up another issue that amuses me. I mostly play with community people who know me by Kermit. A lot of you know my real name but you still call me Kermit online (and most of you do in real life, too, which is fine). This is also convenient in that it's easy to remember gamertags in-game if you have a mixture of people who know each other to varying degrees (and it just feels more comfortable when I'm playing with people I haven't met before). I've got friends outside of the commnunity who don't get this concept of being known by your gamertag. They struggle to call me Kermit, which I can understand, but I'll introduce them to someone and later they'll ask, "That guy we played with--what's his name?"

"Stabbim," I'll say.

"No, what's his name?"

"Um, Stabbim?"

"Why would I know his name?"

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 20:23 (2858 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 20:47 (2858 days ago) @ ZackDark

[image]

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 21:21 (2858 days ago) @ ZackDark

Stabbim's actually a real-life buddy, and I know his real name, but that was how a conversation went.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 22:27 (2858 days ago) @ Kermit

My wife knows real names and gamertags of several people I play with, but I always use real names so she's less likely to point out we're a bunch of nerds.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 22:42 (2858 days ago) @ bluerunner

Weeeeaaaak. :p

I know a lot of you guys' names. Problem is, I don't which one belongs to whom. Heh.
And don't even get me started on voices.

I think I can tell Raga, stabbim and Morpheus apart reliably, but everyone else? Pretty hard.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 10:27 (2857 days ago) @ ZackDark

Weeeeaaaak. :p

I know a lot of you guys' names. Problem is, I don't which one belongs to whom. Heh.
And don't even get me started on voices.

I think I can tell Raga, stabbim and Morpheus apart reliably, but everyone else? Pretty hard.

Raga sounds like a lot of other people to me, but maybe he'd become more distinctive if I played with him more (wish it would happen!).

Stabbim and Morpheus are distinctive, but I'm surprised the U.S. southerners like me and bluerunner don't stand out to you.

You do, but y'all sound alike still

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 30, 2016, 11:07 (2857 days ago) @ Kermit

If we played more often separately (as opposed to full Raid parties) like I do with with those mentioned, it'd be easier. Normally, during raids, I treat everyone as a general announcer when it comes to speaking.

You do, but y'all sound alike still

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 12:49 (2857 days ago) @ ZackDark

If we played more often separately (as opposed to full Raid parties) like I do with with those mentioned, it'd be easier. Normally, during raids, I treat everyone as a general announcer when it comes to speaking.

Surely I'm a unique snowflake, yes?

Generic American dude #3

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 30, 2016, 12:58 (2857 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 15:38 (2857 days ago) @ ZackDark

Recently, I've been playing with Raflection and his British Invasion boys. Fun accents, but I very quickly lose track of who's who. :p

Depending on the consistency of the raid, much like.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 18:41 (2858 days ago) @ Vortech

For example, Chappy likes to take saturn right, Disciple likes to take spawn left, Unoudid likes saturn left, I like spawn right. If a raid happens where all of us are there, we know which one is which. Same for on Oryx. Chappy 1, unoudid 2, where he steals my knight, me 3.

But I also like running a lot, so it throws the whole thing off, and if there's one guy who's different then you're screwed.

just so y'all know, the back left is dogcow's platform. ;)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Saturday, July 02, 2016, 17:27 (2855 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

So Back Left when you walk into the room (L2) or...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, July 02, 2016, 17:52 (2855 days ago) @ dogcow

Relative to the front of the encounter (putting it at L1)?

That's an insane question...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, July 02, 2016, 18:03 (2855 days ago) @ Korny

Who walks into a movie theatre, stands in front of the screen with their back to it, looks at someone waaaaaay up in the back row and says "hey you in the front!"???

;p

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, July 02, 2016, 18:11 (2855 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Who walks into a movie theatre, stands in front of the screen with their back to it, looks at someone waaaaaay up in the back row and says "hey you in the front!"???

;p

That was a terrible comparison.

You walk into the theater from the back.
The screen is in the front. so to your left when you walk in, that's "Back Left" no? (L1)

Or is the left side down in front "Back Left", since it's at the back of the room from where you first walked in? (L2)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, July 02, 2016, 18:19 (2855 days ago) @ Korny

;p

The screen is in the front. so to your left when you walk in, that's "Back Left" no? (L1)

Or is the left side down in front "Back Left", since it's at the back of the room from where you first walked in? (L2)

I'm saying the front of the room is always the front of the room regardless of where you walk in or which way you happen to be facing at any given point :)

The Oryx battle takes place in what is essentially the "bridge" of the ship. The giant viewport where Oryx pops up is the front. It is facing the front of the ship. Doesn't matter where the door happens to be :)

ps, my "that's an insane question" line was supposed to come off as sarcastic, just in case that wasn't clear :)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, July 02, 2016, 18:25 (2855 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Korny, Saturday, July 02, 2016, 18:34

;p

I'm saying the front of the room is always the front of the room regardless of where you walk in or which way you happen to be facing at any given point :)

The Oryx battle takes place in what is essentially the "bridge" of the ship. The giant viewport where Oryx pops up is the front. It is facing the front of the ship. Doesn't matter where the door happens to be :)

That's my assessment as well, but people don't seem to think of it that way. Let's look at the charts!

Movie Theater and Oryx Room

[image][image]

In that sense, L1 is "Back Left".

Many groups say that L2 is "Back Left" because relative to the room's entrance (and spawn point), it's far back and to the left.

What if the entrance is on the same wall as the screen?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, July 02, 2016, 20:43 (2855 days ago) @ Korny

I NEED ANSWERS

Wait, people still raid? :)

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 17:37 (2857 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

How else do you get moldering shards?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 18:30 (2857 days ago) @ red robber

- No text -

I buy mine from Eris.

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 18:34 (2857 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Me too - I still need 12 more before next week

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Thursday, June 30, 2016, 18:46 (2857 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

*PTSD flashbacks*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 30, 2016, 18:56 (2857 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread