Hand Cannons are back (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 23:42 (2829 days ago)

Well, just one… the Eyasluna!

[image]

Some call it the mini Hawkmoon. It's more like the old Devil You Know. In fact, it feels a lot like shooting that gun back in the day. Since the days when hand cannons were king, the other weapons have gotten a lot more lethal. Hand cannons WERE about pacing shots and precision back then. No longer. Try that, and you'll get ripped to shreds by a pulse. You've got to shoot as fast as possible. I've noticed that stability is hugely helpful on hand cannons in order to get quick shots, when it was never really a concern to me before. It seems now to win gunfights you have to get three shots off almost as fast as the gun will fire. So it's almost more valuable than range now.

Eyasluna has the stability, and the range. So while I can't shoot it like I did the Devil You Know, I can perform similarly.

Still, when only one hand cannon in the game feels right (with a range upgrade i'll add), then you have to ask if they don't need even more tweaking. IMO other guns have gotten too lethal. Since hand cannons do all their damage at once, you can't really adjust their damage values in a way that meaningfully changes time to kill. Is it time to bring Scouts and Pulses down just a hair? Auto rifles of course, have been shit since about week 5.

Hand Cannons are back

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 30, 2016, 00:50 (2829 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Eyasluna has the stability, and the range. So while I can't shoot it like I did the Devil You Know, I can perform similarly.

Yeah, I've ran Hawkmoon for the "Get 4 games with 6+ Hand Cannon kills" quest last week and it was indeed still pretty good. Range was a tad lacking, but I'm just too used to Pulses and Scouts. This extra range might help.

Still, when only one hand cannon in the game feels right (with a range upgrade i'll add), then you have to ask if they don't need even more tweaking.

1) "Feels right" within the context of Crucible and its current maps. I'm sure PvE still has some gems.

2) Weren't you a big proponent of fewer guns with wildly different archetypes? Wouldn't that fit?

Hand Cannons are back

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 00:52 (2829 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Cody, that gun has been infuriating players for months. Hand cannons have never left. And it is the [s]mini[/s]-Hawkmoon--reading that description, and getting two shotted by that thing whenever I vomit my way through Crucible, yeah. It absolutely is! I'm glad you got it, though. If I did, I'd instantly dismantle it out of spite.

Hand Cannons are back

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 01:01 (2829 days ago) @ Morpheus

Cody, that gun has been infuriating players for months. Hand cannons have never left. And it is the [s]mini[/s]-Hawkmoon--reading that description, and getting two shotted by that thing whenever I vomit my way through Crucible, yeah. It absolutely is! I'm glad you got it, though. If I did, I'd instantly dismantle it out of spite.

I don't think mine can two shot. It doesn't have luck in the chamber. Hawkmoon can't even two shot half the time anymore.

Hand Cannons are back

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 01:12 (2829 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You say that as if it's a bad thing. Pro tip: Unbalanced weapons are crap and should be fixed just like Hawkmoon was.

Hand Cannons are back

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 01:03 (2829 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Mine has rifled barrel, hidden hand, and truesights. I actually suprise myself with some of the headshots it lands. I pulled my Hawkmoon out the other day and put it right back in the vault. It just didn't feel as easy to land headshots.

Hand Cannons are back

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 01:08 (2829 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well, just one… the Eyasluna!

[image]

Some call it the mini Hawkmoon. It's more like the old Devil You Know.

I missed that boat. That gun was basically gone by the time I started playing. ): I still miss Fatebringer, though.

How did the Ace of Spades turn out? I only ever leveled up the Gunsmith on my Warlock, so Tlaloc is the only one of those I have. I know everyone was excited for the Ace of Caydes, but I haven't ever heard much about it, so I assume it's not all that special or good.

Hand Cannons are back

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 04:10 (2829 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Ace of spades is okay. You can get a lot of stability but then it lacks decent range. The firefly will definitely get you a spare kill every game or so.

Hand Cannons are back

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 01:46 (2829 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Auto rifles of course, have been shit since about week 5.

Wait, what?

PS4 meta must be so weird

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 30, 2016, 02:12 (2829 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Either that or Cody is way too good/lucky.

"I'd rather be lucky than good..."

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 09:23 (2828 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by Pyromancy, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 09:44

Luck Will Only Take One So Far.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, July 01, 2016, 02:17 (2828 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Back?

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 04:52 (2829 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Clearly I don't play as you do, cuz HC's were never "gone" for me. Eyasluna is decent, but since they brought back LHF and TDYK, it's not the only one that can be good (given a good roll). I've been happily using Ace on my Hunter since I got it, it's really fun.

I really prefer to hit harder with a bit more range, so when someone mentioned here last week that the Gunsmith would be selling Judith-D, I ordered 2. I just picked up one of them tonight, and it's a BLAST. Fires super slow, but hits like a freight train, and with Reinforced Barrel it has wicked range too:

[image]

Sure, Stability is in the toilet, but it fires so slow aiming really isn't a problem.

Nope. Just put it all back at 1.0 levels, IMO.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 06:03 (2828 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Judith D Says Hello

by Durandal, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 10:03 (2828 days ago) @ Cody Miller

http://guardian.gg/en/pgcr/5179826906
(I am The Miniboss)

This is the gunsmith's vendor roll 3. I would swap the reload perk for any of the others, and would trade crowd control for rangefinder, but it isn't necessary. I'm not even using reload gloves.

The changes to hand cannons don't make them top tier, but they can definitely compete. The main issue is the short range. My experience has been that you need the HCs with range 30-40 to "feel right". This is pretty much the mid ROF/Impact group and has the Imago Loop, Eyasluna, Lord High Fixer, Finnala's Peril, etc. Judith D is the exception, being high impact and high range. Uffern is similar.

These, coupled with rifled barrel, have enough range to equal ARs and the lower range PRs. As long as you don't try to cross map with HCs, and pick the short to medium range fights, you should be ok.

If you can consistently get the first shot with an HC, you should win every time. You can also clean up when team shooting very easily, since you have such high impact enemy players don't realize they can be one shot and will expose themselves for the challenge.

Nah

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 12:49 (2828 days ago) @ Durandal

One of my favourites for PvE, but no bueno for Crucible.

It's not so bad

by Durandal, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 12:59 (2828 days ago) @ someotherguy

I have an Imago Loop and Her Mercy, and really it felt very similar to those, Unlike my Stolen Pride.

I've been using it and my Suros DIS -45 in IB and haven't noticed anything too severe, unlike my Spare Change which has been outshot by Hawksaw at range numerous times.

Works for me

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 14:05 (2828 days ago) @ someotherguy

One of my favourites for PvE, but no bueno for Crucible.

I just picked it up from the Gunsmith last night, dumped some Motes and a 335 craproll-GOM into it and took it straight into Iron Banner. 5 Wins in 7 games. Had fun. :D

Clarify: I'm not attributing all 5 wins to my use of Judith-D, I'm just saying it CAN work. Lots of teamshooting, picking up assists. I'm the first to admit my 1v1 skills generally suck, but Judith is great for putting the hurt on an opponent quickly and I don't care if my teammate finishes them off. My K/D last night ranged from 0.62 to 1.6, but my KA/D was mostly over 2.

Judith requires you to aim, carefully, but it rewards you appropriately.

I love hard hitting guns.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 14:37 (2828 days ago) @ Durandal

I'll pickup my Judith today and see how it works. My biggest issue is that I hate close quarters combat and I tend to try to use hc's out of their range. Im really digging the IB scout rifle. Stupid range, hits like a truck, shoots so slow you don't need much stability. It's a great anti sniper gun and the version salad man is selling is very nice. Just keep your distance. It's very slow and unwieldy.

I love hard hitting guns.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 15:33 (2828 days ago) @ red robber

Yep. I don't have that gun in particular, but I've always loved its archetype. Badger SSL, Last Extremity etc. My current Cocytus SR4 with 3rd Eye and Rifled Barrel hits hard and fires smooth. Plus, with the Flash HS4 scope and the way it outlines enemies, I can often continue firing on them despite viewing obstructions like grass, explosions, and nearby grenade effects.

Still waiting for TDYK in Y2...

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 12:53 (2828 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Me too. :(

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 14:21 (2828 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

It's dead forever.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 23:55 (2828 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread