THAB 06/30/16 (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 20:29 (2846 days ago)

At first I was mad you didn't include a summary but then...

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 20:47 (2846 days ago) @ CyberKN

...I read the THAB. Your summary was excellent.

+1

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 20:49 (2846 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

If your BWU fix isn't sated:

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 20:57 (2846 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Here's the Weekly Update from ten years ago today:

http://halo.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=8517

I miss Frankie.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 22:32 (2846 days ago) @ CyberKN

And Mister Chief.

I liked how he showcased different fansites.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 22:49 (2846 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

I miss Frankie.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 23:55 (2846 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And Mister Chief.

I miss the more conversational nature of the old Frankie/Lukems updates... Could just be my failing memory, but I don't remember the old updates feeling so much like "filler". These days, most of the BWUs come across to me as trying to use any many words as possible to say "we have nothing to say this week, new stuff is coming soon". Not that I fault DeeJ for that... I enjoy his writing. I get the feeling that Bungie is intentionally more tight-lipped with a stronger focus of staying "on message" these days. I do miss the way the old weekly updates (and the podcast) offered a window into the culture and personality of the studio. Hearing Bungie Devs tell stories about the making of previous Halo games is a huge part of what got me so interested in game design.

I think it's internet culture.

by Funkmon @, Friday, July 01, 2016, 00:39 (2846 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

If you look at Matt's Halo updates, it's pretty much a list of crap in the game. Halo 2 updates included pretty specific things and discussion of tech.

Now, I think developers and the community at large are far too interested in building hyped expectations and avoiding revealing any actual information because of spoilers or some shit. I'm not sure when this changed.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, July 01, 2016, 01:04 (2846 days ago) @ Funkmon

Now, I think developers and the community at large are far too interested in building hyped expectations and avoiding revealing any actual information because of spoilers or some shit. I'm not sure when this changed.

I remember feeling the change almost immediately after the announcement that Halo 3: ODST was going to retail for $60, after Bungie had stated months before that they didn't view it as a full $60 product.

I suspect someone at the top decided to make some sweeping changes to how cavalier Bungie was regarding PR and talking about future products, because after that the ramp up to ODST's launch seemed unusually quiet... and it's sorta stayed that way ever since.

Let the record show that I think ODST is absolutely worth $60, if not more.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, July 01, 2016, 02:43 (2846 days ago) @ CyberKN

I remember feeling the change almost immediately after the announcement that Halo 3: ODST was going to retail for $60, after Bungie had stated months before that they didn't view it as a full $60 product.

I hadn't really thought about it before, but I think you're right. That was probably the turning point. I don't remember the updates during Reach's development being anywhere near as compelling as the ones for Halo 2 and Halo 3.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, July 01, 2016, 03:49 (2846 days ago) @ CyberKN

I suspect someone at the top decided to make some sweeping changes to how cavalier Bungie was regarding PR and talking about future products, because after that the ramp up to ODST's launch seemed unusually quiet... and it's sorta stayed that way ever since.

Let the record show that I think ODST is absolutely worth $60, if not more.

Precisely.

Bungie used to communicate far more open and honestly, until it burned them. Personally, I would argue that any reasonable person who was paying attention could piece together what happened along the road to launching ODST (Bungie themselves covered things very well on their podcast). Not once did I blame Bungie in the slightest for trying to "mislead" the fans, or any other such nonsense that I'm sure they were accused of at the time. But that's the point: a lot of fans accused Bungie of "lying" to them, and I totally see why people at Bungie would walk away from that saying "we cannot let anything like that happen ever again".

The irony is that because all of their public communication is now so thoroughly calculated, I'm less inclined to believe any of it. Not because I think they'd overtly lie to us, but because their messaging is now driven by marketing. It is lead by where they are aiming with Destiny, rather than where Destiny actually is. I think that is an important part of the equation when it comes to communicating with a fan base, but it feels incomplete without the open, honest reflection we used to get about how things actually turned out. Something as simple as hearing Luke say "There is a story this time... It's something new we're trying" felt like a breath of fresh air after months and months of PR-sanctioned post-release messaging. That one sentence did more to reassure me that Bungie actually "gets it" and genuinely hears our concerns than anything in the updates.

I really agree with you, well said.

by Kahzgul, Friday, July 01, 2016, 20:26 (2845 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, July 05, 2016, 02:31 (2842 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Without getting into the rest of it.. yes on the Luke thing. The more Bungie lets him talk unfiltered instead of the PR garbage, the more the community will like them.

I miss Frankie.

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Friday, July 01, 2016, 12:39 (2846 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I feel the new Bungie is not the old Bungie, for better or worse. Most of the old guard that had great influence over the culture and communication of the studio seem to have moved on to other things after being jaded by the 10+ years of systemic, creeping fingers of Microsoft's control, and now the death grip of Activision.

That, and on a cheery note, Frankie was/is a one-in-a-billion, bald jewel in a sea of community managers.

- MacGyver10

I miss Frankie.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, July 01, 2016, 13:04 (2846 days ago) @ MacGyver10

I feel the new Bungie is not the old Bungie, for better or worse. Most of the old guard that had great influence over the culture and communication of the studio seem to have moved on to other things after being jaded by the 10+ years of systemic, creeping fingers of Microsoft's control, and now the death grip of Activision.

It feels like they stuck Lukems in a box to shut him up post-TTK.

That, and on a cheery note, Frankie was/is a one-in-a-billion, bald jewel in a sea of community managers.

He was indeed great. Now he too has just become "The Man" over at 343i, parroting whatever crap his bosses ask him to. He's lost all the fun (and the respect) that he had, but his BWUs and behind the scenes stuff were great, and something I really looked forward to every week.

The Bungie of yesteryear was really a dream team of great folks.

I miss Frankie.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, July 01, 2016, 17:46 (2846 days ago) @ Korny

It feels like they stuck Lukems in a box to shut him up post-TTK.

I doubt it, if he isn't the director on the Rise Of Iron, and the rumors are true that he's Lead on Destiny 2, then there's no reason to have him chatting anyone up at the moment.

Yeah. Interviews with people in charge are awful.

by Funkmon @, Friday, July 01, 2016, 18:05 (2846 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I much prefer interviews with people who know nothing and have no responsibilities.

Lend me your ear...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, July 01, 2016, 18:56 (2846 days ago) @ Funkmon

I much prefer interviews with people who know nothing and have no responsibilities.

It was decided that it was a good idea to leave me managing two separate businesses this week, and yet here I am on DBO. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Lend me your ear...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, July 01, 2016, 19:11 (2846 days ago) @ Korny

It was decided that it was a good idea to leave me managing two separate businesses this week, and yet here I am on DBO. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you.

[image]

Got a good laugh from that one. Thanks!

by Avateur @, Sunday, July 03, 2016, 00:43 (2844 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Lend me your ear...

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, July 01, 2016, 19:54 (2846 days ago) @ Korny

It was decided that it was a good idea to leave me managing two separate businesses this week, and yet here I am on DBO. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

[image]

Luke! We're gonna have company!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, July 01, 2016, 21:05 (2845 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

I kinda don't...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, July 01, 2016, 17:21 (2846 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I haven't gone back and compared the weekly updates of the old days to the current stuff, but I feel like Bubgie always went very quiet between games and then had a burst of activity/previews/press a couple times before a new game shipped. Much the same as now...

Except...

1. Theses days they interact more between releases via ride alongs and chats about art or sound or multiplayer design. I really enjoy the between release interactions, for the most part.
2. There's a fewer teasing hints about what's coming. I still think back with deep frustration when Frankie was quoting Bungie devs being so excited about <redacted> or talking about something purple with lightening... I either wanted actual info, actual developer chats and quotes, or for the (as I saw it) pretend engagement with the community to stop. After some updates, back then, I would have preferred Bungie to shut up instead of giving us more patronizing contentless updates.

Just my feelings on the matter all of which are probably influenced by time and forgetfulness...

I miss Mister Chief

by Kahzgul, Friday, July 01, 2016, 20:24 (2845 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread