Favorite Gamepads Poll (Gaming)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 16:27 (2876 days ago)

An older thread got into a discussion of people's favorite gamepads, and Now I'm curious, so I made a poll.

DEMOCRACY IN ACTION!

Favorite Gamepads Poll

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 16:32 (2876 days ago) @ Vortech

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks the Genesis 6 button was the greatest of all time. Never has there been a better D-Pad!

Favorite Gamepads Poll

by Kahzgul, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 16:37 (2876 days ago) @ Vortech

I listed a whole bunch as 25th because I'd never used them. Okay, it was like 6 controllers.

Favorite Gamepads Poll

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 16:54 (2876 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Well, Since I included the Boomerang, that's to be expected.

Post it to reddit.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 18:49 (2876 days ago) @ Vortech

Then we'll really get some results.

Favorite Gamepads Poll

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 19:14 (2876 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I listed a whole bunch as 25th because I'd never used them. Okay, it was like 6 controllers.

I listed the ones I never used as 24. 25th was reserved for DS3.

+7

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 19:16 (2876 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

^ This is the correct answer :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 19:52 (2876 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Post it to reddit.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 20:06 (2876 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I really made it just cause I cared about what the opinions of DBO would be. But maybe I'll post it in the last couple days that the poll is open just to see what happens.

Favorite Gamepads Poll

by Kahzgul, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 20:13 (2876 days ago) @ Xenos

I listed the ones I never used as 24. 25th was reserved for DS3.

Now I wish I'd done that, because you're absolutely right.

XB1 elite. Confirmed best pad ever

by Raflection, Friday, July 08, 2016, 05:43 (2875 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

Http://reddit.com/r/samplesize

by Funkmon @, Friday, July 08, 2016, 09:39 (2875 days ago) @ Vortech

I didn't mind the Applejack controller. I must be the only one.

At least all I remember playing with that thing was a Power Rangers game.

#FeelingLikeaBaby

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, July 08, 2016, 09:48 (2875 days ago) @ Vortech

Though I've heard of pretty much 90% of those, I haven't even touched more than half...

Guess another good hashtag would be #Feeling3rdWorld.

#FeelingLikeaBaby

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, July 08, 2016, 13:01 (2875 days ago) @ ZackDark

Though I've heard of pretty much 90% of those, I haven't even touched more than half...

Guess another good hashtag would be #Feeling3rdWorld.

I'm in the same boat, and it's because the original Xbox was my first console.

I think there's an age sweet spot from like 25-35

by Funkmon @, Friday, July 08, 2016, 14:03 (2875 days ago) @ Kermit

A lot of these were from the 90s, when I was a little kid, and I was friends with everyone with game systems. I knew which systems each friend had, and which systems their older brothers played. My friend Dan's brother was the Mac geek, Nick had a Genesis and Sega Saturn, Eddie had the Nintendo consoles, Kristy had a 3DO, and so on.

I figure as an adult, you probably wouldn't go over to your friends' houses every day for the exclusive purpose of playing video games and therefore sample the controllers.

I think there's an age sweet spot from like 25-35

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, July 08, 2016, 14:51 (2875 days ago) @ Funkmon

I figure as an adult, you probably wouldn't go over to your friends' houses every day for the exclusive purpose of playing video games and therefore sample the controllers.

And this is why online only co-op/multiplayer sucks. I would still have friends over to run through the Halo/Gears campaigns on the weekend for the fun of it.

+1

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, July 08, 2016, 15:53 (2875 days ago) @ unoudid

Constantly had friends over to play co-op and party games.

We all had N64s, though, with the odd PS1 or GameCube. Then the PS2 blew up and everyone was playing soccer games, which was around when I got the Xbox and stopped going to other homes for gaming.

Yeah, I hate playing with you people, too.

by Funkmon @, Friday, July 08, 2016, 16:29 (2875 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

God I miss Halo LAN parties

by Kahzgul, Friday, July 08, 2016, 17:52 (2875 days ago) @ ZackDark

The best of times.

+1

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, July 08, 2016, 18:06 (2875 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

+1

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, July 08, 2016, 19:19 (2875 days ago) @ Kermit

As I sort of come and go lately, I've not seen anyone trying a Destiny LAN. Has that happened?

Like getting two groups of six together would be dope as helllll for RoI.

+1

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, July 08, 2016, 19:47 (2875 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

As I sort of come and go lately, I've not seen anyone trying a Destiny LAN. Has that happened?

Like getting two groups of six together would be dope as helllll for RoI.

Speedracer had one last year. Smallish, but we all had a good time. The good time was based on camaraderie more than gaming, I think. We played Halo together, and did a little raiding, but with two platforms and no custom games, a lot of Destiny was played during downtime between other stuff we did together. (Ottermack did complete my Thorn quest for me!)

I suspect Bungie will include custom games at some point, and I bet Destiny LANS will become more common.

+1

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, July 08, 2016, 20:34 (2875 days ago) @ Kermit

(Ottermack did complete my Thorn quest for me!)

A gentleman and a scholar!

I suspect Bungie will include custom games at some point, and I bet Destiny LANS will become more common.

It'd be one of the best things they could do for the game. But enough preaching to the choir.

You better have a good connection

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, July 08, 2016, 22:00 (2875 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

And Ethernet cables

I'm shocked someone has used the Applejack.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 02:08 (2875 days ago) @ ZackDark

That's a fair criticism, but I listed every gamepad I could think of. I was fully expecting many of them to be unfamiliar to people. That's also why I chose the poll sorting setup I did. (Well, that and I have to feel like that PolSci degree has some impact on my life occasionally.)

Anyway, I didn't mean to make anyone feel uninitiated.

God I miss Halo LAN parties

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Sunday, July 10, 2016, 18:03 (2873 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I just got back from a Halo 3 LAN party with my old roommates and their families... I've lost my halo skills because of Destiny.

Results

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 17:54 (2870 days ago) @ Vortech

I kept it to just DBO because you're who I care about (and because posting a poll with my email address on it to someplace like reddit seemed like an unworthy risk)

• 1. XB1 Elite (Condorcet winner: wins contests with all other choices)
  • 2. 360 loses to XB1 Elite by 16–9
  • 3. XB1 loses to XB1 Elite by 18–6, loses to 360 by 16–7
  • 4. DS4 loses to XB1 Elite by 18–8, loses to XB1 by 16–10
  • 5. Xbox S-Type loses to XB1 Elite by 20–5, loses to DS4 by 16–9
  • 6. The Duke loses to XB1 Elite by 18–5, loses to Xbox S-Type by 16–8
  • 7. Tied:
  • Super NES loses to XB1 Elite by 21–4, loses to The Duke by 13–8
  • Gamecube loses to XB1 Elite by 20–5, loses to The Duke by 13–10
  • 9. N64 loses to XB1 Elite by 21–4, loses to Super NES by 14–7
  • 10. Wii (inc. nunchuck) loses to XB1 Elite by 21–2, loses to N64 by 11–10
  • 11. Dreamcast loses to XB1 Elite by 19–4, loses to Wii (inc. nunchuck) by 9–7
  • 12. Genesis 6 button loses to XB1 Elite by 21–2, loses to Dreamcast by 10–6
  • 13. Genesis 3 button loses to XB1 Elite by 21–2, loses to Genesis 6 button by 10–4
  • 14. Dualshock loses to XB1 Elite by 21–2, loses to Genesis 3 button by 10–7
  • 15. Saturn loses to XB1 Elite by 21–0, loses to Genesis 3 button by 11–2
  • 16. 3DO loses to XB1 Elite by 21–0, loses to Saturn by 5–3
  • 17. DS3 loses to XB1 Elite by 21–2, loses to 3DO by 7–6
  • 18. DS 2 loses to XB1 Elite by 21–2, loses to DS3 by 7–6
  • 19. NEO GEO loses to XB1 Elite by 21–1, loses to DS 2 by 7–5
  • 20. Saturn Discus loses to XB1 Elite by 21–0, loses to DS 2 by 6–5
  • 21. Wii U Skateboard loses to XB1 Elite by 21–1, loses to Saturn Discus by 6–4
  • 22. PSX loses to XB1 Elite by 21–0, loses to Saturn Discus by 5–4
  • 23. PS 3 Boomerang loses to XB1 Elite by 21–1, loses to PSX by 6–4
  • 24. Applejack loses to XB1 Elite by 21–0, loses to PS 3 Boomerang by 6–2
  • 25. Jaguar loses to XB1 Elite by 21–0, loses to Applejack by 4–3

I'm surprised by how high up the SNES is, and that the DS4 loses to a full two generations of Xbox controllers, given all the DS4 love that has been posted here.

What are those number?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 18:59 (2870 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

Results - Crucial Flaw!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 19:17 (2870 days ago) @ Vortech

I just found a crucial flaw in your survey, it didn't include the Atari 2600 joystick & paddles! ;-)

Results - Crucial Flaw!

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 19:18 (2870 days ago) @ dogcow

I just found a crucial flaw in your survey, it didn't include the Atari 2600 joystick & paddles! ;-)

Or the NES controller!

Results - Crucial Flaw!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 19:19 (2870 days ago) @ CyberKN

Or the NES controller!

Lol, how could I forget that one too. NES Advantage FTW!

Results

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 19:55 (2870 days ago) @ Vortech

• 1. XB1 Elite (Condorcet winner: wins contests with all other choices)
  • 2. 360 loses to XB1 Elite by 16–9
  • 3. XB1 loses to XB1 Elite by 18–6, loses to 360 by 16–7
  • 4. DS4 loses to XB1 Elite by 18–8, loses to XB1 by 16–10

I'm surprised by how high up the SNES is, and that the DS4 loses to a full two generations of Xbox controllers, given all the DS4 love that has been posted here.

I'm surprised at that too. Perhaps it's because we have so many more xbox players than ps4 players here on DBO?

I was a dedicated xbox user until the ps4 (and I decided to switch because family & exclusives, yeah, I'm a jerk ;) ). Initially I disliked the placement of the left thumb stick on the DS4. The thumbstick placement on the xbox controllers just seems to make more sense with todays games. After spending a little bit with it I've gotten used it it it doesn't bother me a bit, even when switching between my xbox(360/one) and my ps4.

What really shocked me is that the DS4 lost out to the XB1 controller. XB1 just feels so flimsy compared to the 360 & DS4. I'd love to use an Elite if anyone wants to donate one to me. :)

Results

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 20:08 (2870 days ago) @ dogcow

Initially I disliked the placement of the left thumb stick on the DS4. The thumbstick placement on the xbox controllers just seems to make more sense with todays games.

Why? For shooters, your thumbs both spend the majority of the time on the sticks. Why should their placement not be mirrored?

Results

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 20:28 (2870 days ago) @ CyberKN

Initially I disliked the placement of the left thumb stick on the DS4. The thumbstick placement on the xbox controllers just seems to make more sense with todays games.

Why? For shooters, your thumbs both spend the majority of the time on the sticks. Why should their placement not be mirrored?

My thumb more comfortably lines up with the placement of the left stick on the xbox than the right one. I'd rather have both sticks in that placement, but swapping the buttons & the right stick makes hitting the buttons with any accuracy difficult (if accurately hitting the d-pad is any indication).

Results

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 20:36 (2870 days ago) @ dogcow

My thumb more comfortably lines up with the placement of the left stick on the xbox than the right one. I'd rather have both sticks in that placement, but swapping the buttons & the right stick makes hitting the buttons with any accuracy difficult (if accurately hitting the d-pad is any indication).

So...

[image]

Results

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 20:37 (2870 days ago) @ CyberKN

So...

[image]

Yes, but I'd be concerned with my ability to accurately hit those buttons on the right. :)

Edit: and that being a nintendo controller I can almost guarantee it's too small for my non-trumpish hands.

Results

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 22:01 (2870 days ago) @ dogcow

Yes, but I'd be concerned with my ability to accurately hit those buttons on the right. :)

Edit: and that being a nintendo controller I can almost guarantee it's too small for my non-trumpish hands.

Also, if you think the XB1 controller feels cheap, that Nintendo one feels like a 3rd party cheap controller compared to the XB1 controller.

Results

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 14, 2016, 13:41 (2869 days ago) @ Xenos

Also, if you think the XB1 controller feels cheap, that Nintendo one feels like a 3rd party cheap controller compared to the XB1 controller.

The XB1 controller doesn't feel cheap to me, at least compared to the DS4 (which I do like, BTW). Everything feels cheap compared to the Elite (and should, if you consider the price difference).

Results

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, July 14, 2016, 13:42 (2869 days ago) @ Kermit

The XB1 controller doesn't feel cheap to me, at least compared to the DS4 (which I do like, BTW). Everything feels cheap compared to the Elite (and should, if you consider the price difference).

Yeah I agree, I honestly think the 360 controller feels cheaper than the XB1, but I am apparently in the minority.

My XBO controller had slightly a misaligned casing

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, July 14, 2016, 14:09 (2869 days ago) @ Xenos

So it felt super cheap, especially when the face buttons would stick. After a quick disassemble, dust off and reassemble, it got closer to the quality feel of the 360.

Today, I can definitely feel the left-bumper looser than the right-bumper, the left thumbstick has a bit of leeway in its springs, sometimes resting on enough offset to input a minor left movement and the Back/Start buttons look like they were supposed to be higher up when not pressed.

Overall, yes, I truly believe the regular XBO controller is cheaply made. The only problem I've had with my 360 controller is that the rubber on the thumbsticks "melted" off with constant use, but the "new" one is made of hard plastic instead, so it's pretty much perfect.

I agree, and it's not close.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, July 14, 2016, 14:39 (2869 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Results - Crucial Flaw!

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, July 14, 2016, 16:02 (2869 days ago) @ dogcow

I addressed that in the survey description. I'm starting with curved plastic.

Results

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, July 14, 2016, 16:05 (2869 days ago) @ Xenos

Cheap is maybe the wrong word. Not...solid or stable.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread