Might Not Complete Y2 Moment of Triumph (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 03:07 (2856 days ago)
edited by Ragashingo, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 03:49

Because of the totally unfair, bizarrely ruled, just plain unfun game type that is Salvage for me.

I just played two of the best games of my life. Completely shutdown an enemy team three times while capturing my Relic. I survived Supers. I made fantastic tactical plays. I kicked freaking ass. Yet, because the rules are so bassackwards, capturing more Relics than the other team, defending the everliving heck out of those Relics, and beating the enemy team quite well in kills earned me a loss...

I give up.

Keep your awesome shirt, Bungie. I am not playing another game of Salvage as long as I live.

Might Not Complete Y2 Moment of Triumph

by petetheduck, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 03:24 (2856 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Keep your awesome shirt, Bungie. I am not playing another game of Salvage as long as I live.

Then your subject line should say "will not" instead of "might not".

ಠ_ಠ

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 04:27 (2856 days ago) @ petetheduck

Then your subject line should say "will not" instead of "might not".

That said... you are technically correct.

The best kind of correct.

Preach!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 04:25 (2856 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 04:46 (2856 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I hope you understand I mean this as a friend, but...

Your posts here (and Twitter) would seem to indicate that Crucible is pretty much the most loathsome thing you've ever come across. Have you ever considered just not playing it? Because I have to tell you, Crucible affects me the same way. It makes me rage. I am not a person who's able to cheerfully accept unfair things happening (in a game). So I just decided not to bother with it anymore (in fact, I don't do PvP multiplayer at all, other than Forza), and I am much happier for it.

If you enjoy it more than your posts would suggest, that's cool. I would never tell you what to do with your own time. I'm only saying this because it's possible you might not have considered that it's not strictly necessary to do ALL the things Destiny offers. And if that were the case, I'd be remiss in not floating the possibility.

That all being said, from what I understand of Salvage, it does seem dumb, and it seems a little weird to me that Bungie's left it in that state this whole time. Wouldn't it be fairly trivial to just make capturing the doohickeys worth more points? Seems to me the only negative there would be the games being shorter. But... making the kills worth less could balance that out, no? What's the deal?

Stop telling !y friends to stop playing !

by Raflection, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 05:13 (2856 days ago) @ stabbim

I play with Raga on crucible and we've had some great games with plenty of fun.

Perhaps the issue is more who or therefore lack of, you play the activity with.

Raga's post suggests he was playing with randos and let's be honest here. Salvage is a backwards ass game mode anyway.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 06:00 (2856 days ago) @ Raflection

I play with Raga on crucible and we've had some great games with plenty of fun.

Perhaps the issue is more who or therefore lack of, you play the activity with.

Raga's post suggests he was playing with randos and let's be honest here. Salvage is a backwards ass game mode anyway.

The three inactive teammates in the first two games probably didn't help things... :p

MoT is making it worse

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, July 09, 2016, 09:40 (2855 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Since you're not obliged supposed to win in the later quest, people on that step have little to no incentive to actually play, especially if they're almost sure they'll lose anyway.

FWIW, if you get a fireteam, it should be a breeze for the exact same reasons. Unless your fireteam is in that mindset too, in which case you're screwed.

by Raflection, Sunday, July 10, 2016, 05:13 (2855 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Damn bruh. 3 inactives?

What do these people do? Just go into match making then on their 'sneakers' and go for a nice walk outside?

Jeez people.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Sunday, July 10, 2016, 11:50 (2854 days ago) @ Raflection

Damn bruh. 3 inactives?

What do these people do? Just go into match making then on their 'sneakers' and go for a nice walk outside?

Jeez people.

I believe they are hunting for pokemon these days.

Heh.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, July 10, 2016, 14:03 (2854 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

LOOL

by Raflection, Sunday, July 10, 2016, 17:39 (2854 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 10, 2016, 21:37 (2854 days ago) @ unoudid

Damn bruh. 3 inactives?

Jeez people.

I believe they are hunting for pokemon these days.

Spoof your GPS coordinates and save yourself the grind.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 05:59 (2856 days ago) @ stabbim

You post makes a lot of sense. Basically, don't do what you don't find fun. I'm pretty good at staying away from things I dislike. I only did Salvage today for the Moment of Triumph. And that's one of the few times I've played Salvage this year. I really like the idea of Salvage and with a few tweaks it would be an awesome and fair mode. But right now it's not.

I similarly avoid Trials of Osiris. I'm actually pretty good at Skirmish. The 3 on 3 suits me for some reason. But Trials... the way one mistake is so completely punishing and the way the gameplay jerks to a halt over and over,usually before a minute has gone past, infuriates me to no end. I can't ever seem to pickup on tactics or get a feel for an enemy. Not having been at max light since House of Wolves just compounds the difficulty and frustration, so I stay completely away from the mode.

But I don't hate pvp or Destiny's Crucible. I love the feel in general and am of the opinion that Control is one of the best pvp modes developed in something like a decade. Sure, I grumble about Join in Progress being braindead sometimes, but for the vast majority of the time I really enjoy the Crucible.

So, yes, I hear you. And I do avoid the things I dislike and take breaks from Destiny after having a frustrating session. But, I guess I do want to make clear that overall I do enjoy myself and my complaints about modes or features I dislike don't mean there aren't plenty of things I do like.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Salvage Tips

by Kahzgul, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 13:25 (2855 days ago) @ Ragashingo

First off, I feel your pain. Salvage is horribly designed (sorry bungo).

- Never attempt to capture the relic unless all three of your teammates are present and actively capturing. You only get points for the people in the circle when it captures.

- If the enemy team has captured the relic, disarming it nets your team 150 points per player on your team, regardless of where they are on the map. The best strategy in the game is to let the enemy capture with only 1 player (+100 points to the enemy), kill that one guy (+100 points for the kill to your team) and disarm (+450 points to your team) for a net gain for 450 points.

- If your team is able to successfully defend a captured relic, you get 200 points per player on your team (so +600 points).

- You get 50 points per revive. Always revive. Always prevent your opponents from reviving if you can.

Now let's break down the risk/reward of capturing:

- Capture with 1 player = 100 points
- Capture with 2 players = 200 points
- Capture with 3 players = 300 points
- Disarm = 450 points
- Successful defend = 600 points

Min points: Capture w/1 minus disarm = -350 points
Max points: Capture w/3 plus defend = 900 points

Other scores to keep in mind:
- Capture w/2 minus disarm = -250 points
- Capture w/3 minus disarm = -150 points
- Capture w/1 plus defend = 700 points
- Capture w/2 plus defend = 800 points

Capturing with all three players present and immediately being disarmed is roughly equivalent to one guy on your team being killed by two people at once (100 points kill, 50 points assist), so it's not a huge loss. But missing people during that initial capture is giving your enemy free double or triple kill points, which really adds up.

More specific strategy stuff: Defender titans are boss in this game mode. Bubble over the relic after you capture it to make defending easy. Save your offensive supers for clearing defenders if the other team seems to be trying to capture. See a lone enemy capturing? Let him. Two or more enemies? Kill them until only one is left. On some larger maps, the spawns are so far away from the action that capturing with 1 is okay if you know the enemy is spawning across the map. Thieve's den comes to mind.

Good luck, guardian!

Salvage Tips

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 14:23 (2855 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Thanks for the point breakdown. It really shows how bad a policy it is to... play the game right. I did have fantastic success with my Defender but somewhat less success with capturing with three people as one or both of my "teammates" were usually idle on the other side of the map. :/

Salvage Tips

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 14:34 (2855 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I think he defender Titan is the reason that these objective games aren't scored solely on objectives. In Halo you didn't get points for kills in CTF for example. If that were the case here I think a group of defender Titans would just own. This might also provide some insight into why we don't have CTF. A fast sprinting blinking hunter flag carrier might just be too much.

Salvage Tips

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 14:59 (2855 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah, CTF would certainly be more difficult to balance. Maybe it could work with big maps where everyone but a flag carrier could use their Sparrow?

Salvage Tips

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, July 11, 2016, 13:48 (2853 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This might also provide some insight into why we don't have CTF. A fast sprinting blinking hunter flag carrier might just be too much.

Why not just make it so the flag carrier can't double jump? ... Admittedly I think there are more balance issues to be resolved. Also, I wonder if Bungie has just decided these other game modes are more fun than CTF, or that the effort vs reward isn't worth it for CTF. <shrugs>

Salvage Tips

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 23:45 (2851 days ago) @ dogcow

This might also provide some insight into why we don't have CTF. A fast sprinting blinking hunter flag carrier might just be too much.

Why not just make it so the flag carrier can't double jump? ... Admittedly I think there are more balance issues to be resolved. Also, I wonder if Bungie has just decided these other game modes are more fun than CTF, or that the effort vs reward isn't worth it for CTF. <shrugs>

All I know is that there are no pure objective gametypes in Destiny. I blame defender Titans.

Does zone control still exist?

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, July 14, 2016, 00:15 (2851 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I haven't seen it in a while, but it should qualify.

Ugh.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, July 14, 2016, 10:50 (2850 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Zone Control was dismal. All the lopsided spawns and camping of Control, but wiyhout the option to out-K/D opponents by being better despite the disadvantage.

Yeah, it was awful and unfun.

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, July 14, 2016, 11:36 (2850 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

Still around, as a weekly

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, July 14, 2016, 12:06 (2850 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

It shows up occasionally as a featured weekly list.

I disagree that it's unfun or lopsided; I usually enjoy it, win or lose.

That's because Destiny itself is fun enough

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, July 14, 2016, 12:13 (2850 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I feel that people who expect any actual level of competitiveness have very really valid reasons to dislike the majority of gametypes PvP offers, but Destiny is still fun enough by itself that ruining that for people who don't care that much takes a LOT of effort.

Its a team game

by Durandal, Sunday, July 10, 2016, 17:59 (2854 days ago) @ Ragashingo

On the contrary,

The scoring says you should only capture with all your team present, which also makes it easier to defend since you are all together watching the point. Otherwise, if one of the other team is capturing it, don't rush, group up and take him out plus decap.

This gets around the big problem in other location capture game types (like COD headquarters mode), where one team gets wiped, the capture point moves, and the winning team is closer due to the nature of the spawn points to the new hq and can get to it first.

it is less important to get to the capture point first, then it is to move with your group and take control of the area AS A GROUP.

Because of this you really can't play it with rando calrisan and his buddy the lone ranger.

Salvage Tips

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 15:07 (2855 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Great stuff!

Armed with this info, I might even subject my friends to playing Crucible with me.

Salvage Tips

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 15:20 (2855 days ago) @ Kahzgul

First off, I feel your pain. Salvage is horribly designed (sorry bungo).

- Never attempt to capture the relic unless all three of your teammates are present and actively capturing. You only get points for the people in the circle when it captures.

- If the enemy team has captured the relic, disarming it nets your team 150 points per player on your team, regardless of where they are on the map. The best strategy in the game is to let the enemy capture with only 1 player (+100 points to the enemy), kill that one guy (+100 points for the kill to your team) and disarm (+450 points to your team) for a net gain for 450 points.

- If your team is able to successfully defend a captured relic, you get 200 points per player on your team (so +600 points).

- You get 50 points per revive. Always revive. Always prevent your opponents from reviving if you can.

Now let's break down the risk/reward of capturing:

- Capture with 1 player = 100 points
- Capture with 2 players = 200 points
- Capture with 3 players = 300 points
- Disarm = 450 points
- Successful defend = 600 points

Min points: Capture w/1 minus disarm = -350 points
Max points: Capture w/3 plus defend = 900 points

Other scores to keep in mind:
- Capture w/2 minus disarm = -250 points
- Capture w/3 minus disarm = -150 points
- Capture w/1 plus defend = 700 points
- Capture w/2 plus defend = 800 points

Capturing with all three players present and immediately being disarmed is roughly equivalent to one guy on your team being killed by two people at once (100 points kill, 50 points assist), so it's not a huge loss. But missing people during that initial capture is giving your enemy free double or triple kill points, which really adds up.

More specific strategy stuff: Defender titans are boss in this game mode. Bubble over the relic after you capture it to make defending easy. Save your offensive supers for clearing defenders if the other team seems to be trying to capture. See a lone enemy capturing? Let him. Two or more enemies? Kill them until only one is left. On some larger maps, the spawns are so far away from the action that capturing with 1 is okay if you know the enemy is spawning across the map. Thieve's den comes to mind.

Good luck, guardian!

The only thing I'd add to this is that your disarm numbers, all the way through, assume that all 3 players on the disarming team are alive at the time of disarm. Since this happens so infrequently, your numbers are a little misleading. (Far more common: you go for the disarm, two teammates are killed in the attempt, one player manages it and the disarm is worth 150, instead of 450. Likewise, a successful defense is rarely worth 600, because doing so can require sacrifice.)

The key to salvage, as you point out, is that critical actions (arm/disarm/capture) are worth more when players are in specific states (in the arming circle/alive). My win percentage when playing with folks who pay attention to this (mostly friends, because communication is key in Salvage) is well above 60%, while my overall win percentage (because I've played a lot of Salvage solo) is under 40%.

Salvage Tips

by Kahzgul, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 16:07 (2855 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I did not know that dead men garnered no points. Interesting!

Poor, poor Salvage.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Sunday, July 10, 2016, 07:27 (2854 days ago) @ Ragashingo

everyone likes to shit on Salvage for having broken rules, but the solution is pretty simple.

Either play by the "broken" rules (at which point it basically turns into Clash), or get a team together who understand how to play salvage AS A TEAM.

The vast majority of Salvage complaints I see come from people who've been unlucky enough to have bad teammates. And that's unfortunate, but the same thing happens in Clash, or control, or any other gametype.

The problem with Salvage is that Joe Random doesn't seem to understand it's a team game. You get more points by capturing together. So either play with a friend (just one should be enough. Always has been for me) or stick with your random.

I know, why would you do that? He's dumb. He's running around on his own instead of sticking with you. He probably thinks the same thing about you.

Even if he's terrible, the worst that can happen is you've got an extra gun in the fight, or an extra distraction for them to be aiming at. Plus those bonus cpature points.

I'm trying really hard not to be all "get gud", but I literally don't understand the near-universal Salvage hate. I've never played a game of Salvage where I didn't try to capture every single relic. Even with randoms.

+1 I actually kinda like Salvage, it's fun.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, July 11, 2016, 13:50 (2853 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

Same

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, July 11, 2016, 14:53 (2853 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

It's actually my favourite gametype

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, July 11, 2016, 15:05 (2853 days ago) @ Vortech

When played properly. It's a great combination of Zone Defense and Crazy King, and one of the few gametypes where you can make real tactical decisions with your Supers.

If anyone needs help with the Crucible quest...

by squidnh3, Sunday, July 10, 2016, 19:14 (2854 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'm perfectly willing to help, given availability.

On salvage

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, July 11, 2016, 01:19 (2854 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It would be a lot easier if your rando teammates didn't keep leaving because the gametype is so terrible.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread