They are not taking this seriously anymore (Destiny)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 16:55 (2837 days ago)

That piece of music is forever ruined for me. (Fixed link)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 17:11 (2837 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 17:34

Ever since this:

Your linked video is broken. But for me...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 17:26 (2837 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It was ruined by this video that showcases a typical Sammy & Nando moment (sans Ellie jumping between us to stop the violence)...

That was adorable

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 19:03 (2837 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Both ruined, and made me love it:

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 21:07 (2837 days ago) @ Korny

Re-ruined:

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 21:10 (2837 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Re-deemed:

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 21:12 (2837 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Re-peated

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 07:08 (2836 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

I liked our version.

Hey, You Knockin' Jackass?!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 18:38 (2837 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'll throw down, bro!

But anyway, I've got a better one--my favorite. ;-)

Hey, You Knockin' Jackass?!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 19:18 (2837 days ago) @ Morpheus

I'll throw down, bro!

Not at all... I actually have a huge soft spot for that show/movie. Wee-Man under the giant traffic cone still makes me laugh my face off every time I see it :)

But anyway, I've got a better one--my favorite. ;-)

So good :)

They are not taking this seriously anymore

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 01:10 (2837 days ago) @ kidtsunami

It's literally called the Gjallarwing.

Wow.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 01:39 (2837 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's literally called the Gjallarwing.

Wow.

They're missing a great promotional deal with KFC.

"Get two gjallarwings and a biscuit for $3.99."

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 04:12 (2837 days ago) @ bluerunner

Of course if Bungie says it'll be $3.99, it'll actually be $5.99.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 10:56 (2836 days ago) @ stabbim

Depending on the type of car you have in the drive-thru, you either get your biscuit then or have to wait a year.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 16:53 (2836 days ago) @ bluerunner

Depending on the type of car you have in the drive-thru, you either get your biscuit then or have to wait a year.

Better drive an import then if you like your biscuits fresh.

by electricpirate @, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 14:48 (2836 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Love it. Destiny takes itself super cereal (except for when Cade speaks) so some acknowldement of how fundamentally silly this shit is sounds good to me.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 15:06 (2836 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I love this game when fun is front and center :-p

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 15:39 (2836 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

I totally agree... most of the time :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 17:16 (2836 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I get much more excited about the new toys we'll get to play with than I do about the events of the Destiny universe, new story & lore, etc. So I couldn't help but smile when I saw the Gjallarwing :)

But there is still a part of me that wishes I cared more about the universe of Destiny. I just can't buy into any of it, which leads to me feeling strangely detached about the whole thing. I literally could not care less about the "new Fallen threat" we will be facing, or "becoming an Iron Lord", or any of that. I guess I've just come to accept that none of that will have any meaningful impact on my gameplay experience, so I've turned my focus towards other parts of the game.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 17:59 (2836 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That is largely my feeling as well. The only thing I really anticipate is that first raid experience.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 18:52 (2836 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I get much more excited about the new toys we'll get to play with than I do about the events of the Destiny universe, new story & lore, etc. So I couldn't help but smile when I saw the Gjallarwing :)

But there is still a part of me that wishes I cared more about the universe of Destiny. I just can't buy into any of it, which leads to me feeling strangely detached about the whole thing. I literally could not care less about the "new Fallen threat" we will be facing, or "becoming an Iron Lord", or any of that. I guess I've just come to accept that none of that will have any meaningful impact on my gameplay experience, so I've turned my focus towards other parts of the game.

Yeah, the lore just seems like they gathered a few sci-fi and fantasy writers and told them to go to town. So while it all sounds grandiose and interesting, there doesn't appear to be any general point in the game aside from " get more loot...".

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 19:00 (2836 days ago) @ kidtsunami

That was sort of why Borderlands was so good. It knew what it was, and just went with it. No bollocks.

I totally agree... most of the time :) *now with edit*

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 19:21 (2836 days ago) @ stabbim
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 19:26

That was sort of why Borderlands was so good. It knew what it was, and just went with it. No bollocks.

When I'm sitting down with the game and having fun, I'm having a very similar experience to what you described. I know what to expect, I know what the game is capable of giving, and I have fun with it for what it is. Where things start to clash for me is every time Bungie starts hyping up a new release or talking about the things that "make Destiny so great", etc. They inevitably talk about the story or characters or lore as if they really matter to the game, and maybe for some people those elements are significant to their experience. But for me, it's all just lip service. They'll talk about our quest to "become legend" and I'll think to myself "that's not the Destiny I know".

It's not that I'm not interested in what's coming next, just that Bungie seems to be speaking to a portion of the fan base that sees the game totally differently than I do. I don't care one bit about the history of the Iron Lords, or of this new branch of the Fallen, or the new locations we'll travel to, outside of the "gamey" elements they bring to the table. Does the new location look cool and is it fun to explore? Are the new enemies fun and dynamic to fight? I don't get lost into the world of Destiny AT ALL, I engage in it as a sort of virtual poker game with friends. I'm never not aware that it is a virtual simulation... a beautiful one, but a simulation all the same. There's nothing about the story or plot or characters that engages me at all.

*Edit* I should point out that I want to care about the world and the characters and the plot, but so far Destiny has failed to give me anything worth caring about in those areas, so I've learned to adjust my expectations. *end edit*

Wouldn't it be amazing if Des2ny reveals that all of Destiny 1, everything we've played up until this point, was just part of a Vex simulation? And Destiny 2's plot and characters are engaging the way we've always hoped they'd be and the fact that D1 was all just a simulation is used to explain why it feels so shallow and disjointed in certain ways? :D

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, July 21, 2016, 19:42 (2836 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

[snip] Bungie starts hyping up a new release or talking about the things that "make Destiny so great", etc. They inevitably talk about the story or characters or lore as if they really matter to the game, and maybe for some people those elements are significant to their experience. But for me, it's all just lip service. They'll talk about our quest to "become legend" and I'll think to myself "that's not the Destiny I know".

It's not that I'm not interested in what's coming next, just that Bungie seems to be speaking to a portion of the fan base that sees the game totally differently than I do. I don't care one bit about the history of the Iron Lords, or of this new branch of the Fallen, or the new locations we'll travel to, outside of the "gamey" elements they bring to the table. Does the new location look cool and is it fun to explore? Are the new enemies fun and dynamic to fight? I don't get lost into the world of Destiny AT ALL, I engage in it as a sort of virtual poker game with friends. I'm never not aware that it is a virtual simulation... a beautiful one, but a simulation all the same. There's nothing about the story or plot or characters that engages me at all.

I want to get caught up in the story like I did with Marathon and Halo, so far I haven't, I've just been intrigued. TTK did a better job, but I'm tired of the Hive storyline & theme. If Vanilla & HoW were up to TTK storytelling maybe I would be caught up in the story by now.

Wouldn't it be amazing if Des2ny reveals that all of Destiny 1, everything we've played up until this point, was just part of a Vex simulation? And Destiny 2's plot and characters are engaging the way we've always hoped they'd be and the fact that D1 was all just a simulation is used to explain why it feels so shallow and disjointed in certain ways? :D

Lol, that would certainly work for Vanilla. :)

I think Bungie isn't sure how to do/make sense of us rerunning old content with our characters that are progressing & already done that. Storytelling wise it makes absolutely no sense there's a total disconnect with this, it completely yanks you 'out of the story'. I think with RoFE & the plaguelands they're trying their hand at changing and evolving the world we play in, yet still allowing us to go back and play old content (original cosmodrome patrol). I'm not sure they have a great solution to the problem, but I'm withholding judgement until I've experienced it. I hate to mention it, but the lack of having that communication array open during patrol after you've completed the mission is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Rambling mode off.

This sub-thread saddens me.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, July 21, 2016, 19:21 (2836 days ago) @ stabbim

I'm fine w/ Bungie being silly in Destiny, even in the lore with the Cabal being puzzled/terrified of our sweet sweet dance moves, but I really really love a good sci-fi story. Fun, good, not-dark sci-fi stories are largely what have attracted me to Bungie (tho' I guess Marathon had some pretty dark elements, but in comparison to other shooters on the market at the time it was a bright & hopeful shooter).

I'd be very sad if Bungie doesn't develop this story/world of theirs. It's got the foundation of a compelling story, when I finished the Black Garden I thought to myself, "There wasn't much resolution here, but I feel like they've set the stage for the next decade of storytelling." So far I feel like they've introduced us to some of the characters and got sidetracked writing short stories set in the universe that don't advance the plot much (TTK being a bit of an exception, but it felt more like a novella).

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 19:37 (2836 days ago) @ dogcow

I'm fine w/ Bungie being silly in Destiny, even in the lore with the Cabal being puzzled/terrified of our sweet sweet dance moves, but I really really love a good sci-fi story. Fun, good, not-dark sci-fi stories are largely what have attracted me to Bungie (tho' I guess Marathon had some pretty dark elements, but in comparison to other shooters on the market at the time it was a bright & hopeful shooter).

I'd be very sad if Bungie doesn't develop this story/world of theirs. It's got the foundation of a compelling story, when I finished the Black Garden I thought to myself, "There wasn't much resolution here, but I feel like they've set the stage for the next decade of storytelling." So far I feel like they've introduced us to some of the characters and got sidetracked writing short stories set in the universe that don't advance the plot much (TTK being a bit of an exception, but it felt more like a novella).

I'm totally with you there. The part that concerns me is that I'm not sure if it is possible for Bungie to ever fully turn things around. TTK was a big improvement on Vanilla in terms of the narrative flow of the campaign, but it was all rooted in a foundation that I didn't care about. I'm already not interested in the Hive or the Guardians or the Traveler or how any of them relate to each other. So while TTK told a decent little story, it didn't do anything to make me invested in the universe. And I just don't know if it is possible without doing a bit of a clean break. If Destiny 2 has us taking our same Guardians to the same tower (with some modifications, I'm sure) and following the same pattern of talking to these side-characters that I already don't care about to get quests that involve fighting the same enemy factions I've already lost interest in (from a narrative point of view), then not even the best plot or script in the world will be enough to turn things around for me. I feel like I would need Destiny to start over with me. Reintroduce me to this world, to the city, the guardians, the people we're fighting for, and the threats that we're so afraid of. I don't mean a hard reboot, just a new story with new characters, at a point in time not directly connected to where we are now.

I just don't think there is the slightest chance of Bungie taking that approach. Too many people would be angry about everything they did (collected) in Year 1, 2, and 3 being a "waste".

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 21:51 (2836 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm totally with you there. The part that concerns me is that I'm not sure if it is possible for Bungie to ever fully turn things around.

This I can guarantee. I know this for certain.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 19:38 (2836 days ago) @ dogcow

Me, too, but I've said it before: I've love to see all of it gel in way that leaves everyone gobsmacked in year 10.

Yeah, look, I WANT a good fun sci-fi story

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 19:43 (2836 days ago) @ dogcow

They just haven't delivered one. They've delivered amazing environments and a metric ton of obscure lore. "People want to hear about these Iron Lords..." what? I guess I do, because I haven't heard ANYTHING about them. Some dude shows up and higher level people do more damage to lower level people for a week. Oh and there's a flaming shield and some loot that is named _provactively_ but ultimately means nothing.

And I'm not encouraged that the Rise Of Iron is going to involve hearing about / discovering these "iron lords". Right now, as I see it, we haven't been interacting with these characters IN game. They are overwrought item/quest menus that we don't really get to interact with. We don't see them out in the field, doing anything, saying anything. The closest we've had is the stranger and Cayde in our ear, but even then, it's events they have no time to explain or that they're purposely hiding.

I want to play Dark Souls and see if it also doesn't have a story and is just obscure lore that people have been squinting at long enough to find satisfaction in sharing with other people who have been squinting long enough.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 20:03 (2836 days ago) @ kidtsunami

They just haven't delivered one. They've delivered amazing environments and a metric ton of obscure lore. "People want to hear about these Iron Lords..." what? I guess I do, because I haven't heard ANYTHING about them. Some dude shows up and higher level people do more damage to lower level people for a week. Oh and there's a flaming shield and some loot that is named _provactively_ but ultimately means nothing.

I think one of the problems Bungie continues to slip into as things move forward is they try to tell new stories that are better than what we got in Vanilla, but these new stories are crucially rooted in obscure lore that was never presented in a compelling in-game manner. So while TTK was a big step up in terms of mission design and the basic moment-to-moment script, it was also based deeply in knowing about the history of the reef and the queen and Hive sword logic and ascendant realms and all this stuff that meant nothing to me as a player. It's all good fun, but it didn't do anything to change the detachment I feel from it all. For all D1's problems, the Vault of Glass itself was in incredible culmination to the game. No, it wasn't worked into the plot in any satisfying way, but the actual journey of going down into those caves and fighting these Vex monstrosities that have impossible powers... I LOVED it. The fact that we (the guardians) didn't fully understand what was going on made perfect sense within the context of that little adventure. King's Fall, by comparison, feels like a contrived gauntlet. Like the final event during an episode of American Gladiators. It is fun, but makes absolutely no sense in terms of being an actual place that really exists within the Hive ship. It's like Bungie themselves stopped worrying about creating an experience that absorbs you into the world, and instead made the Destiny equivalent of a Super Mario level.

More integrated into the world.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, July 22, 2016, 02:09 (2836 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I want to play Dark Souls and see if it also doesn't have a story and is just obscure lore that people have been squinting at long enough to find satisfaction in sharing with other people who have been squinting long enough.

I'm no expert, but I have played a bit of DS1.

The primary difference between the way Destiny and Dark Souls integrate their stories, is that in Dark Souls, the NPCs you interact with start out in the world, and then depending on your actions, they can end up returning to the safe hub area which functions like Destiny's Tower.

In the first game and the latest, that's Firelink Shrine.

Destiny puts all its NPCs and merchants in the safe areas-- there's nobody to interact with out in the world except enemies.

NPCs in Dark Souls give you lore-- think Grimoire cards edited down to their bare minimum, delivered one line at a time by player prompts. You can hear them all (until the last start looping) or stop anytime. Many of them you can choose to kill, save, or ignore. Some will become friendlies you can summon in boss battles.

Those might seem like minor changes, but they have a huge impact.

I'd have bought into the idea that the player truly is responsible for the resurgence of the Vanguard if, at the end of the first level, you had shown up to an empty Tower? What if isolated pockets of Guardians out in the wild had to be rescued or rejuvenated to be brought back? What if the Guardian in the cryo pod high above the cosmodrome had been the Speaker instead of just some random guy we might never meet?

What if the reason you don't get any explanation isn't because people don't want to tell you, or don't have time, but because the one who has to do the explaining... is you? What if no one really knows more about the current state of the world than you do?

Of all Destiny's current NPCs, the one I find most believable and relatable is Eris. She's the only one with a real arc, and she acts crazy enough to be given latitude for cryptic or partial explanations.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, July 22, 2016, 17:31 (2835 days ago) @ narcogen

The primary difference between the way Destiny and Dark Souls integrate their stories, is that in Dark Souls, the NPCs you interact with start out in the world, and then depending on your actions, they can end up returning to the safe hub area which functions like Destiny's Tower.

Destiny puts all its NPCs and merchants in the safe areas-- there's nobody to interact with out in the world except enemies.

NPCs in Dark Souls give you lore-- think Grimoire cards edited down to their bare minimum, delivered one line at a time by player prompts. You can hear them all (until the last start looping) or stop anytime. Many of them you can choose to kill, save, or ignore. Some will become friendlies you can summon in boss battles.

Those might seem like minor changes, but they have a huge impact.

I'd have bought into the idea that the player truly is responsible for the resurgence of the Vanguard if, at the end of the first level, you had shown up to an empty Tower? What if isolated pockets of Guardians out in the wild had to be rescued or rejuvenated to be brought back? What if the Guardian in the cryo pod high above the cosmodrome had been the Speaker instead of just some random guy we might never meet?

What if the reason you don't get any explanation isn't because people don't want to tell you, or don't have time, but because the one who has to do the explaining... is you? What if no one really knows more about the current state of the world than you do?

Of all Destiny's current NPCs, the one I find most believable and relatable is Eris. She's the only one with a real arc, and she acts crazy enough to be given latitude for cryptic or partial explanations.

Think about how Mass Effect 2 did its story. It was basically what you want here. More of that, indeed.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, July 22, 2016, 23:09 (2835 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

[snip]

>

Think about how Mass Effect 2 did its story. It was basically what you want here. More of that, indeed.

Sort of. ME2 has a bunch of its own issues that I'd rather Destiny didn't import, but I think an approach like this would have made the player feel like the world was more real while at the same time having more of an impact on it, without having to be credited with every single heroic act the Vanguard ever performs.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, July 22, 2016, 18:10 (2835 days ago) @ narcogen

From what little I've heard, it sounds like we will be doing some of that to first capture and then build up the new social space.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, July 23, 2016, 22:45 (2834 days ago) @ kidtsunami

For whatever it's worth, I think Dark Souls does a much better job of integrating it's lore into a story. Sure, lots of it has to be gleaned from item descriptions and obscure lines of dialogue. But Dark Souls has two big things going for it over Destiny (for me):

1. As narcogen pointed out, the NPCs are encountered out in the world. You run into them on your quest. Some of them are actively pursuing the same things you are. Others are just characters living their lives in a dark and dreary world. But, by the end, they all have clear motivations and an actual story to tell. That's more than I can say for anything that's ever happened in Destiny.

2. The environments tell a story. Every area is unique and helps build the lore for that particular section of the world. Again, it's a story only told in hints. Very little is said outright. But you can get a lot of information about what enemies are in that area, where they're position, what they're doing, where the items in that area are placed (and what the descriptions on those items say), etc. Again, Destiny has basically none of this.

Dark Souls is absolutely brilliant at story telling in its own way; you just have to care enough to look. I'd never though about it before, but I do think it's an apt comparison to make with Destiny. I feel like Destiny very much tries to tell a story in a very similar manner. It's just really bad at doing so.

A Good SF Story

by squidnh3, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 20:34 (2836 days ago) @ dogcow

At some point, I think you have to recognize the limitations of a story that requires you to shoot your way from here to there, X times over. Destiny is an FPS, and it's pretty darn good at that, so it's hard to justify moving away from those elements that make it a fun game to play.

Personally, I enjoy the balance Destiny now has between story and gameplay. Most of the real interesting stuff happens behind the scenes in the past or the future, as described by the Grimoire, and it's not limited by the few actions my character can take in the game. My Guardian just happens to be a bit player in an extraordinary SF drama, and I don't mind that information being conveyed to me by way of text story (and in many ways actually prefer it that way, as it's certainly my most common way of interfacing with an SF story). I still maintain the Books of Sorrow story is an extremely impressive work of science fiction, even outside of its connection to Destiny.

As far as the stream goes, I'm also happy that Bungie seems to be developing a more reasonable message: "We had fun making this game, we think it's fun, we think you'll have fun playing it." I think this approach works a lot better than their pre-Destiny marketing of, "This is a transformative experience, it will change the way you play video games and think about space and time," which I think ended up upsetting a lot of people when it didn't live up to those insane expectations.

A Good SF Story

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, July 21, 2016, 21:16 (2836 days ago) @ squidnh3

I largely agree with most of what you just said. :)

At some point, I think you have to recognize the limitations of a story that requires you to shoot your way from here to there, X times over. Destiny is an FPS, and it's pretty darn good at that, so it's hard to justify moving away from those elements that make it a fun game to play.

Yes, definitely. I struggle with events/tasks/reasons/whatnots in shooters feeling very very contrived. I felt that Marathon and Halo told a good story with the player experiencing what was happening and being a driving character. If you boil those games down they just end up being the Stanly Parable. Push this button because, well, that's what you're told to do. I'm not sure what the secret sauce is that allows a game to transcend Doom's go get the red key to open the red door and become an engaging interactive (involved?) story, but Marathon & Halo had it, despite their tasks basically being kill stuff, get the key, & push the button.

I'm of the opinion that Vanilla Destiny had (most of?) the ingredients for that transcendent secret sauce, but forgot to mix them together. I felt I was doing stuff and experiencing action in a universe that has a deep lore, but I missed the flavor. I blame this on the rewrite (I think even a cheesy story would have been better than what we ended up with). It seems Destiny has improved with age, Bungie has been recovering (with TTK), and I'm glad to see they're having fun with Destiny, I just don't want them to give up on giving us a good story and reason for the action. Please keep trying to pull us into the story.

Personally, I enjoy the balance Destiny now has between story and gameplay. Most of the real interesting stuff happens behind the scenes in the past or the future, as described by the Grimoire, and it's not limited by the few actions my character can take in the game. My Guardian just happens to be a bit player in an extraordinary SF drama, and I don't mind that information being conveyed to me by way of text story (and in many ways actually prefer it that way, as it's certainly my most common way of interfacing with an SF story). I still maintain the Books of Sorrow story is an extremely impressive work of science fiction, even outside of its connection to Destiny.

Books of Sorrow was excellent. Now, I don't think all the grimoire needs to be "in game", but that type of story needs to be mixed into the game. They're doing better, I think they still have room to improve, but they're in a "good enough" spot now.

A Good SF Story

by General Battuta, Friday, July 22, 2016, 00:40 (2836 days ago) @ dogcow

Books of Sorrow was excellent. Now, I don't think all the grimoire needs to be "in game", but that type of story needs to be mixed into the game. They're doing better, I think they still have room to improve, but they're in a "good enough" spot now.

Bungie if you're reading this plz hire me to do more Grimoire, I gotta find some way to make rent!

I approve this message

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, July 22, 2016, 01:27 (2836 days ago) @ General Battuta

The Book of Sorrow -hell, pretty much the entirety of the Grimoire- is pretty damn great

Great job, Battuta and team!

A Good SF Story

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 23:55 (2836 days ago) @ squidnh3

I don't know, maybe if you made it an RPG with FPS elements then you could do other things and have other sorts of interactions besides just shooting. Kind of like, oh you know, one of the best games ever made DEUS EX.

A Good SF Story

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, July 22, 2016, 00:34 (2836 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't know, maybe if you made it an RPG with FPS elements then you could do other things and have other sorts of interactions besides just shooting. Kind of like, oh you know, one of the best games ever made DEUS EX.

Not that something more like Deus Ex wouldn't be cool, but I don't think that's the only way to go. I played the Halo campaign missions from CE-Reach over and over and over, for YEARS, because the worlds felt alive and the combat was spectacular and dynamic and the missions were so varied. Jason Jones himself has talked about how one of the main motivations behind Destiny was to reward players who do exactly that by giving them rewards or extra activities on top of replaying the same missions. A shooter can totally pull that off without adding complex RPG mechanics... The missions themselves just need to be a lot better.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread