Wolfenstein: The New Order (Gaming)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, July 25, 2016, 17:13 (2823 days ago)

So I had bought this game a while back and played it but I set it down and only just now got back to it. And I don't know why I set it down. Turns out I was almost done with the game!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that this is a solid game IMHO. It doesn't have an elaborate plot or anything, I mean it's about Nazi's winning WW2 led by a crazy scientist who likes to experiment on people and you want to stop him. However, they still managed to make a good driven story that I think does some great character development.

The graphics are good and the game mechanics are solid, I mean it's no Destiny but considering it's not Bungie, but pretty darned good. It really mixes elements of stealth with double machine gun toting chaos, which I thought was quite impressive. And it's not a "let's add a section where the player gets to blow shit up", you really have to think about what you are doing. But when you gun someone down it feels good (that sounds terrible but whatever) because you played correctly.

Also, the best part that took me off guard the first time it happened to me, cement and metal barriers are destructible. It such a simple thing, but there nothing like knowing that the thing your hiding behind is temporary or that the metal wall is going to melt to pieces to that giant mech with a laser cannon. This mechanic also allows you to use one of your basic guns to cut holes in walls to come at guys from different directions or find secret stashes in walls which I found really cool. It's the little things like this I love in games.

The only thing I can think of that I didn't like about it was that you had to manually pick up ammo and guns. I hated it with a passion at first but I soon got over it.

TL;DR
Wolfenstein is a solid game and I would recommend it to anyone.

Here are two gameplay clips of me, one of me dying and the second attempt killing the guy.

Wolfenstein: The New Order

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, July 25, 2016, 18:13 (2823 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Anyway, I just wanted to say that this is a solid game IMHO. It doesn't have an elaborate plot or anything, I mean it's about Nazi's winning WW2 led by a crazy scientist who likes to experiment on people and you want to stop him. However, they still managed to make a good driven story that I think does some great character development.

Definitely an underrated experience. I played through both storylines (it's a subtle change, but the way it affects your upgrades is neat), once stealthy, the second shooty, and I loved it both times. Weapons are good (the shotgun's Alt-fire is masterfully done), and the stealth is satisfying. Also, lots of character depth, and not everything gets spoon-fed to you, which is a plus.

Also, the best part that took me off guard the first time it happened to me, cement and metal barriers are destructible. It such a simple thing, but there nothing like knowing that the thing your hiding behind is temporary or that the metal wall is going to melt to pieces to that giant mech with a laser cannon. This mechanic also allows you to use one of your basic guns to cut holes in walls to come at guys from different directions or find secret stashes in walls which I found really cool. It's the little things like this I love in games.

Yeah. I love when you can't just hunker down and pick enemies off. Uncharted 4 does a fantastic job of this as well (my sister stood out in the open for five seconds once, because she didn't realize that the cement wall that she was hiding behind had been blown to bits already). In Wolfenstein, depending on your weapons, you can often just cut/blast your way through your own cover to get to the baddies.

The only thing I can think of that I didn't like about it was that you had to manually pick up ammo and guns. I hated it with a passion at first but I soon got over it.

It's a minor thing, yeah, but if you're playing pure stealth, not a problem that you run into often. :P

TL;DR
Wolfenstein is a solid game and I would recommend it to anyone.

Yup. You can often find it on sale for under $10. Worth every penny.

Wolfenstein: The New Order

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, July 25, 2016, 18:19 (2823 days ago) @ Korny

It was funny cause I was totally expecting this game to be the equivalent of a summer flick. So I picked it up used. And I went into it expecting this, then I slowly found out that it was nothing of the sort.

Major thumbs-up

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 04:15 (2823 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Definitely one of my favorite gaming experiences of the past few years. I don't think it necessarily does anything that hasn't been done before, but the way it's all put together is masterful. In nearly any location (except maybe the odd boss fight) the stealth and guns-blazing approaches are both valid. The controls feel good, there's plenty of weapon options... I could go on all night. Somehow the characters are actually interesting, which surprised me. The story's just fantastic. I'd love to spell out how ridiculous it gets while somehow staying believable, but I'd ruin it for someone. Oh, and the Nightmare is great. :)

Major thumbs-up

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 04:18 (2823 days ago) @ stabbim

Seriously, I need to reiterate: If you're reading this thread and thinking Wolfenstein games are stupid and have no depth... you're right. Or rather, you were.

FYI there is also a prequel thingy called The Old Blood. It's a bit shorter but is priced appropriately IIRC, and it continues The New Order's formula for excellence with some neat twists/additions.

Major thumbs-up

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 18:42 (2822 days ago) @ stabbim

Seriously, I need to reiterate: If you're reading this thread and thinking Wolfenstein games are stupid and have no depth... you're right. Or rather, you were.

Gonna make like Bit from Tron: yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

A gloriously anti-fascist tome. Must play.

Currently $15 with this week's Deals with Gold.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, August 02, 2016, 14:44 (2815 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

If this discussion sparked anyone's interest in the game, now's a good time to grab it for cheap.

-Disciple

The Prequel went from $20 to $5 as well...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, August 02, 2016, 14:57 (2815 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I already snagged that sucker. I don't care if there is nothing but new story line. Totally worth it.

The Prequel went from $20 to $5 as well...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, August 02, 2016, 16:40 (2815 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

There's some interesting additions. They changed a lot of the weapons to fit the earlier timeline. The new melee weapon is especially great.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread