Obduction: A new Myst in 2016. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, August 26, 2016, 01:20 (2790 days ago)

Obduction is the new game from Cyan Worlds, developers of Myst and Riven. I've not had too much experience with those games, but I did enjoy Myst (despite never actually finishing it).

It's getting great reviews and seems to very much be what folks wanted from what is essentially a new Myst.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts from the folks here who might end up playing it. My backlog is too deep already for me to really consider purchasing it anytime soon, but it's definitely been added to my list for later.

I've got it but haven't played much yet

by Kahzgul, Friday, August 26, 2016, 04:38 (2790 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I was an early kickstarter backer and, some two (or three?) years later I've got the game! But i haven't had time to play much. I'll post my thoughts here once I get a chance to take a solid stab at it.

Cyan's still got it! (And don’t watch that video)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, August 26, 2016, 12:11 (2789 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I was an early Kickstarter backer as well. Been too busy playing it to do a write-up, but I can say that if you like Cyan games, it's absolutely worth the $30 price tag. I'm having quite a bit of fun and (as can be expected), it's ridiculously beautiful. FWIW, Obduction isn't particularly forgiving on your graphics card, but still looks good on the lower settings (stupid mobile graphics cards over here!).

For the Mac users out there (I was hoping to do my first play through on the Mac…), our version will be out "soon." Apparently the Unreal 4 engine needs some additional work on OS X/macOS.

Go buy it now!

Edit: Also, do yourself a favor and don’t watch that video in the OP. Just play it. :)

Excited!

by electricpirate @, Friday, August 26, 2016, 14:06 (2789 days ago) @ Beorn

I never really liked Myst as a kid (I was 11 when it came out), but I dutifully used walkthroughs to play it. I replayed Myst for a class in graduate school a couple years ago, so being older and more patient I realized how damn good that game is.

Obduction: A new Myst in 2016.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, August 27, 2016, 06:09 (2789 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Very cool. I did play a bit of Myst many years ago, although I don't think my young brain could really grasp it yet - I never got all that far. But wow, it did capture the imagination!

Sadly, my backlog is in much the same state. But hopefully, one day.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread