So about microtransactions... (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 02, 2016, 13:40 (2815 days ago)

My confession is I'm one of those people--you know, part of the problem. I've bought multiple physical copies of Destiny because I wanted the physical ghost, the strange coin, etc. (Yet I've never used one of my Destiny discs, and I've played on all four consoles.) I own all the emotes on two platforms. I never bought multiple copies of anything to increase my chances of getting something (like certain Festival masks), but I have bought one of everything, methinks. (I also own enough Destiny shirts to last several weeks, but that's not really relevant.) I've preordered RoI on both platforms.

The bottom line is that when I consider all the money I've spent on the game, and when I weigh that against the fun I've already had, it's still a good deal.

Disclaimer: this is not meant to criticize anyone who hates microtransactions, nor is it meant to encourage anyone to spend more than they think is reasonable or more than they can afford.

So about microtransactions...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, September 02, 2016, 13:54 (2815 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by MacAddictXIV, Friday, September 02, 2016, 14:22

My confession is I'm one of those people--you know, part of the problem. I've bought multiple physical copies of Destiny because I wanted the physical ghost, the strange coin, etc. (Yet I've never used one of my Destiny discs, and I've played on all four consoles.) I own all the emotes on two platforms. I never bought multiple copies of anything to increase my chances of getting something (like certain Festival masks), but I have bought one of everything, methinks. (I also own enough Destiny shirts to last several weeks, but that's not really relevant.) I've preordered RoI on both platforms.

The bottom line is that when I consider all the money I've spent on the game, and when I weigh that against the fun I've already had, it's still a good deal.

Disclaimer: this is not meant to criticize anyone who hates micro transactions, nor is it meant to encourage anyone to spend more than they think is reasonable or more than they can afford.

I think of of micro transactions as a movie theater that sells concessions. I'm perfectly okay with buying a move ticket (a Game) and not buying any concessions (micro transactions) because it doesn't affect the movie. I might be a person that likes to buy concessions because I have an over all better time because of it. I'm okay with that. However, I will never go to a 3D movie if the glasses (micro transactions that alter game play) cost extra. Suddenly I'm paying money to have an equal experience.

I would also hate if I had a movie theater that I loved and was comfortable in and I could kick back my feet in but then a new theater opened down the street that was allowed to show a movie a day earlier than my theater for a buck more. Sure I could see that movie with my friends for just a buck more but I LOVE my theater, but I also HATE that I'm potentially getting spoilers and what would feel like a second hand movie because I love my theater.

This analogy is brought to you by my weird brain pan.

So aboot microtransactions...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, September 02, 2016, 13:54 (2815 days ago) @ Kermit

Disclaimer: this is not meant to criticize anyone who hates microtransactions, nor is it meant to encourage anyone to spend more than they think is reasonable or more than they can afford.

Regardless of one's opinion on Microtransactions being a good or bad thing, nobody should tell you that you're wrong for getting things for yourself, nor should you feel like you have to justify it to anyone. If you've got disposable income, spend it as you see fit, especially if it only increases your enjoyment of something.

If a game gives me tons of fun, I'll happily throw more money at it after paying full price (I mean, look at how much money Sammy and I sank into Mass Effect 3). Heck, for all of my praise at Warframe being 100% free and without paywalls, the $80 Prime Access pack is a no-brainer for me, because I love what the devs have done, and I want to continue to support that.
Does that make me a part of the problem? Only if one thinks that there is a problem, and I don't. Ultimately I won't be convinced to stop supporting people that provide me with a good service.

Heck, Sammy hasn't played Destiny much since The Taken King launched, but she has always logged on and bought Silver the moment that an Emote that she liked has been made available (and in response, I bought Silver just to get the Facepalm emote for every new dance of hers).

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 02, 2016, 14:14 (2815 days ago) @ Korny

Regardless of one's opinion on Microtransactions being a good or bad thing, nobody should tell you that you're wrong for getting things for yourself, nor should you feel like you have to justify it to anyone. If you've got disposable income, spend it as you see fit, especially if it only increases your enjoyment of something.

If a game gives me tons of fun, I'll happily throw more money at it after paying full price (I mean, look at how much money Sammy and I sank into Mass Effect 3). Heck, for all of my praise at Warframe being 100% free and without paywalls, the $80 Prime Access pack is a no-brainer for me, because I love what the devs have done, and I want to continue to support that.
Does that make me a part of the problem? Only if one thinks that there is a problem, and I don't. Ultimately I won't be convinced to stop supporting people that provide me with a good service.

Heck, Sammy hasn't played Destiny much since The Taken King launched, but she has always logged on and bought Silver the moment that an Emote that she liked has been made available (and in response, I bought Silver just to get the Facepalm emote for every new dance of hers).

The guilt implied by the my first sentence was feigned--I don't feel guilty. Destiny is one of my main hobbies. I'm invested on several levels. I understand the concern about pay to play or pay to win and the potential conflict between monetizing a game and making a game fun. I think Bungie's done a good job juggling these issues.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 02, 2016, 15:00 (2815 days ago) @ Korny

Yes, because the guy who spends 25 million dollars on a house is totally in the right, when he could spend a million on a really good house that's great and comfortable, and invest the other 24 million into business or charity. In certain circumstances, spending your money on yourself becomes a moral question when you reach levels of excess.

Well, now that's an entirely different point

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, September 02, 2016, 15:14 (2815 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So much it actually puts this entire forum on the spot. It's not a bad point, though.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, September 02, 2016, 15:16 (2815 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes, because the guy who spends 25 million dollars on a house is totally in the right, when he could spend a million on a really good house that's great and comfortable, and invest the other 24 million into business or charity.

I'm sorry, but that analogy just doesn't line up for me. Like, at all. I think I get where you are going with it but...

In certain circumstances, spending your money on yourself becomes a moral question when you reach levels of excess.

That is very true! However everyone defines their own level of excess. I know my level of excess because there comes a point where my ratio of money spent to enjoyment goes down.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, September 02, 2016, 16:34 (2815 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes, because the guy who spends 25 million dollars on a house is totally in the right, when he could spend a million on a really good house that's great and comfortable, and invest the other 24 million into business or charity. In certain circumstances, spending your money on yourself becomes a moral question when you reach levels of excess.

Yes, there absolutely is a limit.

by ProbablyLast, Saturday, September 03, 2016, 06:04 (2814 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you have 25 million and want the obviously superior house, buy it.

I'm probably just a terrible person, though.

+1

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, September 02, 2016, 15:18 (2815 days ago) @ Korny

Everyone knows how I feel about Micros, but you do you.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, September 02, 2016, 14:28 (2815 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm not sure I have anything to add right now other than I'm glad you posted. This is good to read, and I appreciate your clarification regarding "guilt."

Gonna file it away in my brain and let it marinate for a bit. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, September 02, 2016, 15:13 (2815 days ago) @ Kermit

Heh. Whatever happened to don't get him started? :p

Personally, I don't consider things like Destiny's Ghost Edition to be anything close to a micro transaction. Is buying a higher model of the same car to get more features supporting micro transactions? Of course it isn't! Besides, I really like my Ghost, despite being quite angry at Bungie about something or other the days before it was announced. The Strange Coin and Cayde-6's journal were both very nice as well.

Even if we somehow all decided to eliminate in game purchases, I'd be very much in favor of keeping cool special editions of games that ship alongside cool pack-ins.

:)

I applaud you sir

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, September 02, 2016, 16:11 (2815 days ago) @ Kermit

Seriously, You make me feel better about my purchasing decisions :) I'm only this crazy for the xbox version though.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, September 03, 2016, 00:50 (2815 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm sort of torn on the issue.

My gut reaction is to hate microtransactions. I understand why they exist and the purpose the serve, and that maybe they're keeping some studios afloat. But at the same time, if a game isn't balanced around trying to force people to buy more shit, then I don't really see an issue with it.

I bought the SRL Record Book, and a few Sparrows, and a few emotes, but nothing since then. I don't really mind the way Bungie has gone about implementing them, for the most part. I have two sticking points. I don't like not being able to buy things outright. I don't like spending money on a dice roll. It feels shitty and predatory. And also, I just don't want any of the crap they're selling. I'm not sure exactly what they could sell that I would want (shaders and emblems, maybe?), but I would probably throw done a few bucks again if I ever saw it.

At least they're not selling DLC for a game still in Early Access.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread