Keen Koala explains/debunks "Ghost Bullets" (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 15:16 (2791 days ago)

Thought this video was worth sharing.

Keen Koala does an excellent job of explaining the "Ghost Bullet" situation, as well as pointing out why Tripple Wreck's little experiment was inherently flawed.

There's certainly plenty of room to debate whether or not these mechanics are what's best for the game, but the first step is to understand what is actually happening, and I think Koala does a great job of explaining that.

"It doesn't matter if it's working as intended...

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 15:34 (2791 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by someotherguy, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 15:44

... If it feels like a glitch."

Pwadigy wrote a really good post highlighting this and how Bungie's unrealistic (in terms of expectations, not real-world realism) idea of optimal weapon ranges is hurting PvP.

https://m.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/52cmwt/massive_breakdown_on_bloom_and_handcannons/

You can probably skip the history lesson, but the rest is well worth a read, particularly the section on ganking range and the "no mid-range" meta.

Edit: Also are there many people who don't realise the phenomenon is a result of bloom and accuracy interaction? There's not much debate about what is happening so much as why it is or isn't a good implementation, surely?

Hey Squid, this is the guy we keep playing against

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 16:28 (2791 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

Hey Squid, this is the guy we keep playing against

by squidnh3, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 22:48 (2791 days ago) @ unoudid

Haha, I had read this post before we even played with him the second time, but didn't even look at the name. How do people even have time to write these theses about this stuff?

I agree with him on some stuff, but for me primarily I think they need to ditch the idea of hard engagement ranges for each weapon type, and just make everything versatile to compete with specials. That's how it worked Y1, and it was fine.

This post is a great read. He nails the problems exactly...

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 17:18 (2791 days ago) @ someotherguy

...his proposed solutions have multiple avenues of fixing them.

I enjoy and thrive in mid-range encounters and those have been disappearing from Destiny the past while. It's why I like HC's and why I always run a fusion rifle. It's not "fun" for me to shotgun people. I like the challenge, the competition, not the insta-kill that so often goes with shotguns. It's fun a bit for tactics, but not so much for gunfight gameplay. Probably why I also do well at inferno -- I don't love having to anticipate people around corners and such all the time, it's fun to just shoot people and kill with skill as opposed to superior tactics. And yes, I know how that sounds. ;)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 17:29 (2791 days ago) @ someotherguy

https://m.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/52cmwt/massive_breakdown_on_bloom_and_handcannons/

You can probably skip the history lesson, but the rest is well worth a read, particularly the section on ganking range and the "no mid-range" meta.

This brings up the very good and very correct point regarding the ability to close distances quickly. I think it's spot on.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 18:19 (2791 days ago) @ someotherguy

You can probably skip the history lesson,

Especially since he's just plain wrong regarding the history of bloom with Bungie.

Keen Koala explains/debunks "Ghost Bullets"

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 15:44 (2791 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Thought this video was worth sharing.

Keen Koala does an excellent job of explaining the "Ghost Bullet" situation, as well as pointing out why Tripple Wreck's little experiment was inherently flawed.

There's certainly plenty of room to debate whether or not these mechanics are what's best for the game, but the first step is to understand what is actually happening, and I think Koala does a great job of explaining that.

Yea, I have a copule of thoughts about this.

This isn't something totally weird or new. This has been a standard mechanic for aiming weapons in basically every Bungie FPS (the CE Pistol had this same effect, but it was much smaller, the Halo 2 BR v1 had it, the Halo 3 BR had it, all auto weapons had it). It's pretty obviously a concious design decision to reduce the range. I don't think having some spread like this when a weapon leaves it's range is harmful, and understanding the gun can be part of what makes it fun to use.

What we are seeing is kind of like a classic design flaw. The fact that it's taken like 6 months for people to figure this out speaks to a break between the aesthetics and usage of handcannons.

I mentioned Halo earlier, and Halo actually could have this because it had a lot of ways to communicate this better.

1. Reticule size gave a rough idea of accuracy cone
2. Reticule turned red when a target was in optimal range
3. red dot appeared in the reticule when it was in optimal range with a headshot.

In Destiny though, going ADS reads as one thing

1. The bullet will go to the point where it's fired.

That's kind of the fundamental disconnect here. From a raw numbers standpoint, and usage standpoint, handcannons are still very strong (I believe Eyeasluna/thorn are considered top of the meta in the sweats community still). But having a frustrating element to the most popular weapon among your best players is going to generate a ton of anger at you.

One other random thought, why did so many playes assume that design decisions they don't agree with are bugs? TripleWreck originally cast this as a hit registration bug, and there was a reddit post that amounted to "When bungie says this is a design decision, don't believe their lies!" I think a little design literacy goes a long way in these discussions.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 15:49 (2791 days ago) @ electricpirate

One other random thought, why did so many playes assume that design decisions they don't agree with are bugs? TripleWreck originally cast this as a hit registration bug, and there was a reddit post that amounted to "When bungie says this is a design decision, don't believe their lies!" I think a little design literacy goes a long way in these discussions.

Maybe it was a different post, but if you're referencing the one Im thinking of, it was more "Bungie will say this is working as intended. It probably is, but here's why it's still bad design".

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 16:53 (2791 days ago) @ someotherguy

Maybe it was a different post, but if you're referencing the one Im thinking of, it was more "Bungie will say this is working as intended. It probably is, but here's why it's still bad design".

Same post.

I think if you are going to critique something, running with the "Whatever they tell you, you shouldn't listen to them." and the "Treat this design issue as a technical one because it's so self evidently bad" are just like inherently shitty ways to understand design better.

I mean, I don't like this solution either, but their feels like it exists less to educate, and more to score points by generating anger.

FWIW, I thought Bungie's response was spot on

"Hello Destiny community!
Due to a recent resurgence in feedback about “Ghost Bullets” we wanted to take a minute to explain how and why the weapons in Destiny behave the way that they do…
“Ghost Bullets” is a community-coined term that is being used to describe the frustration of missing the intended target due to weapon stats. The bullets aren’t disappearing, they just aren’t hitting the bullseye. Internally, we would call this specific aspect of a weapon “Accuracy,” which is one of the values embedded in the Range Stat of every Destiny weapon.
When looking at Destiny weapon archetypes, we wanted players to be able to assume a weapon’s traits through visuals and an intuitive understanding of how weapons work. Players can make the assumption that barrel length, and stability (stock) will affect the accuracy of a weapon class. These types of distinctive behaviors make for fun and interesting choices within the action simulation.
In short, Hand Cannons, with a relatively short barrel and no stock, are not intended to be long range precision weapons like a Scout Rifle or a Sniper Rifle. Instead they are big, heavy, pistols that pack a large punch. If you can control the kick, and close on your targets during combat, you will likely (as our friend Variks says) “Kill them dead.”
We want to very sincerely say that this communique is not meant to be argumentative or belittle any of the consistent feedback we’ve received on the subject. Regardless of how “correctly” the game systems are working, the core message is that shooting a Hand Cannon during high skill gameplay can feel inconsistent and/or frustrating for people. We hear you, and we are always looking to improve on that experience.
While it’s unlikely that we would completely remove Accuracy as a concept from Destiny weapons, we will investigate alternative options to balance Hand Cannons vs. other weapon archetypes. Destiny is a game that will evolve as players push, pull, and build the world.
You are wonderful people, the best community, and passionate about this game in a way that pushes us to always be our best. Thank you for playing, and thank you for reading."

^ so much this. Well stated.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 18:21 (2791 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

Bungie shouldn't have to listen to those folks...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 18:41 (2791 days ago) @ electricpirate

One other random thought, why did so many players assume that design decisions they don't agree with are bugs? TripleWreck originally cast this as a hit registration bug, and there was a reddit post that amounted to "When bungie says this is a design decision, don't believe their lies!" I think a little design literacy goes a long way in these discussions.

Those folks that whine and moan about design decisions are the kind of minority that should really be ignored, IMO. Listening to the most popular streamers and MLG players is what has all but killed the Halo sandbox in 343's hands.

These are the same people that say "Don't nerf my overpowered weapon! Make other weapons better! Also, my weapon needs these buffs...". I think the whole "ghost bullets" debacle is a load of crap. The game is meant to behave a certain way. It's how it's balanced. Does it bend the rules in order to play that way? Yeah. Is it a good solution while better solutions are found? Totally.

People saying "My bullets should always go where I point!" Should play Call of Duty with aim assist turned off (a great feature in Treyarch CoDs). They would get wrecked, because bullets always go where you're pointing, and these same people are the ones who use MIDA and 1KYS, where the aim assist is basically playing the game for them.

I think if these people want all of their shots to fly to the exact spot they are pointing at every single time, they should have all Aim Assist removed, because those two things go hand in hand.

But... right now

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 20:07 (2791 days ago) @ Korny

One other random thought, why did so many players assume that design decisions they don't agree with are bugs? TripleWreck originally cast this as a hit registration bug, and there was a reddit post that amounted to "When bungie says this is a design decision, don't believe their lies!" I think a little design literacy goes a long way in these discussions.

Those folks that whine and moan about design decisions are the kind of minority that should really be ignored, IMO. Listening to the most popular streamers and MLG players is what has all but killed the Halo sandbox in 343's hands.

These are the same people that say "Don't nerf my overpowered weapon! Make other weapons better! Also, my weapon needs these buffs...". I think the whole "ghost bullets" debacle is a load of crap. The game is meant to behave a certain way. It's how it's balanced. Does it bend the rules in order to play that way? Yeah. Is it a good solution while better solutions are found? Totally.

People saying "My bullets should always go where I point!" Should play Call of Duty with aim assist turned off (a great feature in Treyarch CoDs). They would get wrecked, because bullets always go where you're pointing, and these same people are the ones who use MIDA and 1KYS, where the aim assist is basically playing the game for them.

I think if these people want all of their shots to fly to the exact spot they are pointing at every single time, they should have all Aim Assist removed, because those two things go hand in hand.

I feel great when I'm playing Halo 5, I'm making shots when I should and missing when I'm out of range. It's all clearly communicated through the UI. Frankly, 343 has nailed a sandbox that feels great at every range depending on which gun you have at the moment. The same can't be said for Destiny ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think the biggest issue to solve here is the communication of what is happening when you ADS. At the moment, it LOOKS like you're going to be super accurate when really you've got a chance to miss a shot at that range.

But... right now

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 00:20 (2791 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Halo 5 just might be the best-feeling online FPS I've ever played. I won't pretend to be smart enough to understand why that is, but they are certainly doing something right. That game controls better than anything else by quite a wide margin.

But... right now

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 01:40 (2791 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Heh. I just deleted Halo 5 yesterday because I played a round of Firefight and found it 100% completely uninspiring in every way. To me it felt like enemies got dropped off and barely moved from their positions. All the weapons felt unimpactful. And it's not like I've got anything against Halo (other than Halo 4's story) so I just couldn't understand why it felt so bad. :(

I really, really like Firefight

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 01:59 (2791 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I agree the AI isn't superb, but I didn't find it too detrimental to the enjoyment of escalating sandbox and enemy forces. Back when the original Warzone launched, getting those REQ cards were a huge drag, but it seems Firefight just makes it rain.

The movement took a while for me to get used to, but the dodging and clambering mechanisms are a huge plus. Shields not recharging during sprint is something I'm still not used to, though. Always gets me killed...

IMHO, Cheapley is absolutely right. Destiny isn't far behind, mind you, but it does feel less shooty.

Me too

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 13:56 (2790 days ago) @ ZackDark

Having just recently got Halo 5, I played the campaign (which I actually really liked, much better than 4 IMO), and jumped into Firefight. It's not ODST or Reach firefight, it's something else. But I found it to be really fun.

Now, I'm told there have been some "changes" since launch, so maybe I'm not playing the same thing everyone else remembers. I have no idea really.

Me too

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 14:01 (2790 days ago) @ stabbim

Having just recently got Halo 5, I played the campaign (which I actually really liked, much better than 4 IMO), and jumped into Firefight. It's not ODST or Reach firefight, it's something else. But I found it to be really fun.

Now, I'm told there have been some "changes" since launch, so maybe I'm not playing the same thing everyone else remembers. I have no idea really.

I recently got rid of Halo 5 on my Xbox (last night) but now all this talk about Firefight (that I never played) has me wanted to redownload it. I LOVED firefight in ODST and thought the other versions were okay... makes me really want to try the Halo 5 version.

Me too

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 14:45 (2790 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

If I had to put it in terms of other games, it feels most like ODST Firefight to me, but not unlimited length, so sort of Reach-like in length, and with Mass Effect 3's semi-random rewards system.

Me too

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 14:50 (2790 days ago) @ stabbim

If I had to put it in terms of other games, it feels most like ODST Firefight to me, but not unlimited length, so sort of Reach-like in length, and with Mass Effect 3's semi-random rewards system.

Can you set it to a length that is near impossible? I like the challenge of playing for a long time... For example, a buddy and I played for about 4 hours one time in ODST... it was so taxing and nerve racking. I'm surprised that neither of us had a stroke or aneurysm.

Nope, it is 5 rounds, and 5 rounds only

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 14:55 (2790 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Can you set it to a length that is near impossible? I like the challenge of playing for a long time... For example, a buddy and I played for about 4 hours one time in ODST... it was so taxing and nerve racking. I'm surprised that neither of us had a stroke or aneurysm.

What i love about it is that i can easily get into a firefight match with 7 other spartans and go to town with all sorts of wild weapons in a variety of scenarios from hunting certain enemies to defending a base. As things escalate and you reach the point where 8 people are taking Wraiths, Scorpions, and Banshees to the enemy it's gloriously wild.

Halo doesn't have anything like a raid, but Destiny also doesn't have a matchmaking based 8 person PvE mode...

Nope, it is 5 rounds, and 5 rounds only

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 14:59 (2790 days ago) @ kidtsunami

What i love about it is that i can easily get into a firefight match with 7 other spartans and go to town with all sorts of wild weapons in a variety of scenarios from hunting certain enemies to defending a base. As things escalate and you reach the point where 8 people are taking Wraiths, Scorpions, and Banshees to the enemy it's gloriously wild.

Halo doesn't have anything like a raid, but Destiny also doesn't have a matchmaking based 8 person PvE mode...

So you are saying it feels more like PoE than it does original ODST? Set length with random encounters in each wave. So more like jump in to blow shit up? No way to increase the difficulty?

Nope. But it feels like Legendary already

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 16:11 (2790 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Also, some combinations of enemy/objective/round are REALLY hard to pull through.

You played 1 round...

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 09:34 (2790 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

I played multiple matches...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 12:00 (2790 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Halo 5 firefight was the thing that made me put the controller down and get rid of my Xbone.
Halo 5 is 343's most complete and functional game, for sure, but the cons outweighed the pros enough for me to finally stop tolerating the bad.

And I mean, I'm the ODST guy here, Firefight is in my blood, and yet Halo 5's Firefight was the last straw for the Xbone in general.

*shrug* To each their own, though.

damn, that is just plain sad

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 12:07 (2790 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

You played 1 round...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 16:01 (2790 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing: I play a complete beginning to end session of matchmade Firefight. So a good 20 - 30 minutes. And I've played through Halo 5's campaign at least twice.

But yes, I only played one round or match or whatever then deleted the game. For a few reasons:

- It really did feel like on each new wave the Covenant forces would get dropped off and would mostly stand around. I'd kill a few and die and then most of the time I had to go back to those spots that the Covenant were occupying instead of having them press in on me.

- A few waves in I started get access to vehicles (I used the new flying UNSC vehicle with the machine gun and rockets and later a Mantis) and everything got super boring. I completed maybe three rounds in the air (at least one round with a bunch of Hunters and a round defending a base against mostly Covenant ground troops) and while I took damage over time I was basically king of the entire battlefield outclassing or outmaneuvering. Everything was (literally and figuratively) beneath me! Which meant there was no challenge.

- Later with my Mantis I completed a couple of normal waves, a wave with a handful of scattered Knight bosses, and the final round against the Warden Eternal (which we didn't quite beat) but other than being temporarily EMPed by the Warden's big attack, I again had no real challenge. I think I maybe lost my shields once and don't believe my Mantis was visibly damaged even at the end of the match.

- On foot things played ok, I got flanked nicely by an Elite once and had to retreat a few times, but again this always seemed to only happen once I pushed up. I didn't once get pushed back in that way old Firefight way where you're getting overwhelmed and running low on health and ammo and are trying to get the right stick and attack with the right weapon to disrupt the enemy forces just enough to pick off a key unit and continue to survive.

Ultimately, I think it was a lack of tension and challenge that left me highly disappointed. There's also the small niggle that even as improved as Halo 5 is, it doesn't feel as... right... to me as Destiny does. Very hard to explain because its probably a multitude of little things with the movement and shooting... but all in all I didn't feel the need to play a second Firefight match. :(

About feel

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 16:33 (2790 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Ultimately, I think it was a lack of tension and challenge that left me highly disappointed. There's also the small niggle that even as improved as Halo 5 is, it doesn't feel as... right... to me as Destiny does. Very hard to explain because its probably a multitude of little things with the movement and shooting... but all in all I didn't feel the need to play a second Firefight match. :(

We're literally in a thread about how wrong Destiny is feeling at the moment. At 30fps without dedicated servers and a wonky networking model, Destiny holds up fine, but doesn't feel nearly as crisp or smooth as Halo 5 at 60fps and dedicated servers.

To the point of this thread, the UI in Halo 5 makes your bloom perfectly clear no matter if you're ADSing or not. Additionally the audio helps support the variety of actions I do (i.e. sliding actually sounds like I'm sliding). I also really appreciate clamber as the helpless feeling when I get stuck on a ledge in Destiny is super frustrating and robs the game of momentum. You can still nail jumps in Halo without clambering, but when you don't, you can still get where you intended to go. In Destiny if I don't, I just slowly float to the ground and get picked off along the way.

This is all from someone who plays a lot of both games and loves both of them. There are so many things that Destiny has that Halo 5 doesn't, but a good "feel" it does not. I've recently done a frame by frame analysis comparing the two and where actions, like shooting in Halo can take 2-3 frames to "register", Destiny shows 6-12 frames of delay between trigger pull and damage registering on the enemy. Even in one hilarious case I saw a shot register hitting the edge of the geometry (and not armor piercing) and then 3 frames later the damage registering, killing the enemy and their body ragdolling in funky delayed fashion.

If Destiny "feels" better, it's entirely possible it's because you play it a bunch more than you play Halo.

You played 1 round...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, September 18, 2016, 07:38 (2786 days ago) @ Ragashingo

As someone who only recently picked up Halo 5, its version of Firefight is still fresh in my mind. I doubt I'll convince you of anything, but I feel compelled to respond on a few points, because a lot of it is things you probably never had a chance to realize after only 1 game.

- It really did feel like on each new wave the Covenant forces would get dropped off and would mostly stand around. I'd kill a few and die and then most of the time I had to go back to those spots that the Covenant were occupying instead of having them press in on me.

This is true, at times. What you might not be aware of is that the exact structure of each wave varies. Some waves have objectives where you have to defend a certain spot. The enemies do, in fact, rush those areas, and if you'd given it enough time for that to happen, I bet you would have gotten smoked a few times. There are also objectives where you have to seek out and kill X amount of a certain enemy type, or even specific units - in which case it actually makes sense for you to go to them. It's also worth noting that moving around the map in Halo 5 is a lot less slow and tedious than in previous Halo titles.

- A few waves in I started get access to vehicles (I used the new flying UNSC vehicle with the machine gun and rockets and later a Mantis) and everything got super boring. I completed maybe three rounds in the air (at least one round with a bunch of Hunters and a round defending a base against mostly Covenant ground troops) and while I took damage over time I was basically king of the entire battlefield outclassing or outmaneuvering. Everything was (literally and figuratively) beneath me! Which meant there was no challenge.

If you'd played enough to get a feel for the Req economy, I think you'd realize how hilarious it is that you're complaining about the Wasp being overpowered. I was able to use it once and have never received one again. It's an extremely rare item that takes a lot of energy (the sort-of currency that you build up over the course of a match) to use. It's supposed to be that powerful, because using it isn't an option very often. Even if you have one, it won't become available until late in the game when many enemies have become strong enough to practically one-shot your helpless human form. And you have to hold off using other stuff in order to have enough energy to activate it.

- Later with my Mantis I completed a couple of normal waves, a wave with a handful of scattered Knight bosses, and the final round against the Warden Eternal (which we didn't quite beat) but other than being temporarily EMPed by the Warden's big attack, I again had no real challenge. I think I maybe lost my shields once and don't believe my Mantis was visibly damaged even at the end of the match.

All I have on that one is *shrug.* The Mantis is strong, but it's not invincible. You either played extremely well, or got lucky on positioning. It might also have been that your teammates were all in powerful vehicles by that point, as can happen when you get late in the game and people haven't used up their energy on other junk. Get 2 or 3 people in heavy vehicles and you can sometimes steamroll. IF everyone plays well.

- On foot things played ok, I got flanked nicely by an Elite once and had to retreat a few times, but again this always seemed to only happen once I pushed up. I didn't once get pushed back in that way old Firefight way where you're getting overwhelmed and running low on health and ammo and are trying to get the right stick and attack with the right weapon to disrupt the enemy forces just enough to pick off a key unit and continue to survive.

It was probably a mistake to expect it to feel exactly like ODST. It's a different thing, and I promise it can be fun if you let it.

That all being said, I think it would be good to have selectable higher difficulties. The stuff I've been playing has proved plenty challenging, but my teammates have been total rubbish in some matches. The game would probably have seemed a bit easier to you if you were with a squad of B.Org people.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, September 18, 2016, 07:45 (2786 days ago) @ electricpirate

I think a little design literacy goes a long way in these discussions.

Good friggin' luck with that.

I...only....made.....it thru.....the.....1st 30.. ..sec...

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 16:25 (2791 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

sooo.

many.

pauses.

by Mad_Stylus, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 16:54 (2791 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Their was a problem when they gave a weapon with limited magazine and higher recoil a close-mid "ideal" range. The design already doesn't forgive missing shots, especially with a lower reload speed. Closer range, where the user is going to be more "rushed" when they pick their shots, is the worst place for a handcannon.

Its a handheld sniper rifle. Why wouldn't you use it for distance targets?

Personally, the pulse and scout archetypes feel like they ought to be more mid options. They feel too spammy, not enough kinetic kill power to be real marksman "shoot that dude in the head and move on" weapons.

I mean, heck, HCs dont even have scopes. You really want to nail something farther out, its going to take a very good eye and very precise aim. If you can pull that off, I can't really fault you.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 17:17 (2791 days ago) @ Mad_Stylus

I mean, heck, HCs dont even have scopes. You really want to nail something farther out, its going to take a very good eye and very precise aim. If you can pull that off, I can't really fault you.

As much as I love hand cannons, maybe you don't remember back at in the early days of Destiny. With the high range hand cannons, you could pull off quick headshots at absurd ranges. Scouts could not compete with Hand Cannons. You'd outshoot a scout rifle user. Let that sink in.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 17:22 (2791 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As much as I love hand cannons, maybe you don't remember back at in the early days of Destiny. With the high range hand cannons, you could pull off quick headshots at absurd ranges. Scouts could not compete with Hand Cannons. You'd outshoot a scout rifle user. Let that sink in.

I miss out shooting snipers with Thorn though

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 19:30 (2791 days ago) @ Mad_Stylus

Its a handheld sniper rifle. Why wouldn't you use it for distance targets?

Them being anything but a handheld sniper rifle is why you wouldn't. Mostly because handheld sniper rifles are just sniper rifles.

As it stands, pulling off long range shots with a hand cannon used to be broken until their effective range was substantially shortened. Their easy of mobility and potential time to kill make more sense for a closer ranged weapon. Mix in 3SKs with high impact Scouts you can use now and it is much, much more logical. Because it used to be would get 3SKs at Scout+ ranges with Word of Crota while maintaining the up close potential. It was low risk/high reward in one of the worst ways. Then mix in 2SKs with Thorn at those same ranges, and I might have nightmares tonight of The Bad Times.

On an unrelated to that note, I do wish sights in Destiny were white when you aren't within intended engagement ranges, and only flipped "on" when you were aiming at something for optimum engagement, as Bungie did with Halo. Then you have a cut and dry communication.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 18:15 (2791 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Huh, interesting. So, I thought TripleWreck was closer than the damage falloff range, apparently he was outside of it. Even more damning to his argument.

IMHO bloom is a good mechanic, I enjoyed mastering it with the Halo 1 HC. However, I think should be better communicated to the wielder when ADS.

My main complaint about handcannons

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 19:09 (2791 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've gotten into a couple of gun battles within the sweet spot of the range for handcannons and have watched people just not take damage, even when doing body shots.

The best example I can think of is on Vertigo at the back of control point B. I would consider the main platform of B to be a nice octagon of death. It's in the sweet spot of Hand cannons (unless I'm mistaken). I've been in numerous gun fights where I would aim center mass and the bullets just would not hit a single thing. It could have been lag, but it's beyond infuriating when a weapon doesn't perform at it's intended range due to RNG.

Map design and sandbox design need to go hand in hand

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 12:06 (2790 days ago) @ unoudid
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 12:34

I've gotten into a couple of gun battles within the sweet spot of the range for handcannons and have watched people just not take damage, even when doing body shots.

I've had the same experience. I play PvP with Slycrel quite frequently, and I know he often feels like his HC is missing when it should be hitting. Aside from lag, the only explaination I can come up with is that Bungie's idea of HC range is shorter than what many of us "feel" the sweet spot should be.

Maybe it's just a lingering effect of all of us getting used to HC range in year 1, and still not fully adjusting to HC's new range limits (I'd argue this is certainly part of what is going on, and that lack of clear communication through the UI is partially to blame).

But there is more to it than that.

The best example I can think of is on Vertigo at the back of control point B. I would consider the main platform of B to be a nice octagon of death. It's in the sweet spot of Hand cannons (unless I'm mistaken). I've been in numerous gun fights where I would aim center mass and the bullets just would not hit a single thing. It could have been lag, but it's beyond infuriating when a weapon doesn't perform at it's intended range due to RNG.

Again, we have a perception issue going on here. Lag aside, Destiny weapons DO perform within their intended range... The intended range just isn't always the same as you or I feel it should be. I'm not talking about calculated, watching the damage numbers, analytical thought, here. I'm talking about that gut-feeling, in the heat of battle, "this feels like HC range" feeling. THAT feeling doesn't line up with Bungie's current idea of HC range, and I think a big part of that has to do with map layouts.

Let's step back a little and think about the differences between PRs, SRs, HCs, and ARs. Aside from all the nitty gritty details, what is the basic separation between these weapons? SRs and PRs favor marksmanship; focusing in on a specific area, placing pinpoint shots at greater distances. That makes these guns perfect for covering long sight lines, aiming down hallways, overwatch roles. HCs and ARs favor mobility, CQB combat, players who are sprinting and jumping and sliding while shooting. This makes them ideal for aggressive play styles, players who push into the enemy position and engage up-close, brawlers.

So how does map design fit in to this?

Let's use Burning Shrine as an example. Lots of long, narrow sight lines, as well as large open rooms where more chaotic combat takes place. If I'm standing in one of the large rooms, shooting across the map at targets in another large room, that is SR/PR range. But if I move into the same room as the enemy targets, I've now switched gears. I'm no longer playing the role of a marksman. I'm in CQB mode, running, jumping, trying to confuse and disorient the enemy. The layout of the map encourages this shift in play styles as you engage from different positions. When I'm facing a group of enemies who are camping out in one of those side rooms and I push in to meet them up close, that FEELS like I should be using a HC... but my HC's range doesn't match the size of the room. If I'm in one corner of the room, firing at someone in the far corner, I'm still outside of my HC's intended range. The shape of the room and its relation to the rest of the map is encouraging a certain playstyle (which would logically favor certain weapons), but the SIZE of the room doesn't line up with that shift.

This is what happens when weapon tweaks and map design are treated separately. The same thing happened in Halo Reach when they reduced/removed bloom. Most people agreed that the DMR "felt" better to use, but the problem was that none of the maps had been designed to accommodate a primary weapon as deadly at long range as the bloomless-DMR now was. Players were getting shredded right in their spawns by enemies camping out half a mile away. The original bloom mechanics prevented this, by forcing long-range shooters to fire more slowly. The updated weapon mechanics no longer suited the map layouts. I think something similar has happened to Destiny.

Good point.

by slycrel ⌂, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 13:09 (2790 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

True Sniper Range

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 12:14 (2790 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Having a little fun last night and I think I have found the true intended range of the sniper rifle.

Holy crap x2

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 12:31 (2790 days ago) @ unoudid

Not only that was an amazing shot, he took half your health with a single burst.

You slacked off all night for that one little clip?

by Up North 65 @, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 16:06 (2790 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 16:28 (2790 days ago) @ Up North 65

Trading Kills

Pull!!!

No time for that invis stuff

Floating Warlock

Nice work Guardians

That's disgusting and you shouldn't be proud of it

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 17:27 (2790 days ago) @ unoudid
edited by MacAddictXIV, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 17:36

Cause you know... reasons.

Also, I want a No Land Beyond so I can try this.

That's disgusting and you shouldn't be proud of it

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 18:48 (2790 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

NLB is both awesome and extremely frustrating at the same time. I'm horrible with the gun, but it gives you a good reason to run a sidearm as a backup.

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 17:45 (2790 days ago) @ unoudid

Have you not learned how to cancel the reload animation on NLB yet?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 17:50 (2790 days ago) @ BeardFade

I was typically double tapping the xbox button to record after those kills. I really need a better way of doing that besides using Cortana/Controller.

Anyway, I was having a really hard time pacing my shots doing the reload animation cancel. I was ready to fire before the gun would allow me to fire most of the time.

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 14:29 (2790 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That was really great, honestly. It inspired a few thoughts:

1) I tend to retreat in gun fight so I am further from my enemy, but depending on my weapon, I may be hurting myself more than helping. Something to keep in mind in the future.

2) Now I'd like to field test all my favorite weapons to kind of figure out why they are my favorite, and what their effective ranges are.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread