Exclusive incentives available now?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:18 (4076 days ago)

From the pre-order post on Bungie.net:

There are even some exclusive incentives available now to reward the first players who reserve their copy of the game.

Are they only available at Gamestop? Amazon didn't mention any exclusive incentives.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:20 (4076 days ago) @ Xenos

There are even some exclusive incentives available now to reward the first players who reserve their copy of the game.

Are they only available at Gamestop? Amazon didn't mention any exclusive incentives.

Amazon mentions a special star map wallpaper:

---
Destiny Star Map Wallpaper
Pre-order and get the Amazon exclusive Destiny Star Map digital wallpaper, created by Bungie for Amazon's customers, for your phone or personal computer. We will email you the wallpaper with in 4 business days of your pre-order.
---

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:21 (4076 days ago) @ Beorn

Wow, that's funny, it appeared AFTER I pre-ordered. I even went back to the original page and it wasn't there.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:33 (4076 days ago) @ Beorn

Pre-order and get the Amazon exclusive Destiny Star Map digital wallpaper, created by Bungie for Amazon's customers, for your phone or personal computer. We will email you the wallpaper with in 4 business days of your pre-order.

Hate to be the first bitcher post-Destiny reveal on here, but that is the worst kind of "pre-order bonus" out there. Kinda obvious why, so I won't even bother explaining. :P

by Phoenix_9286 @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:37 (4076 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I'm looking forward to it being available to the internet at large in 4 days.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:41 (4076 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Hate to be the first bitcher post-Destiny reveal on here, but that is the worst kind of "pre-order bonus" out there. Kinda obvious why, so I won't even bother explaining. :P

Oh, I wasn't saying it was a great preorder bonus, but I was just saying that the Amazon page did mention something. I bet the actual early-order incentives may still be ironing themselves out.

Could have been nothing.

by PsychoRaven, Oklahoma, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:48 (4076 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Well to be honest they could have given you no incentives for preordering. Hell for me the game alone is enough and why I did the second it appeared on Amazon.

Who needs any other incentive than the game itself? *NM*

by scarab @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 11:33 (4076 days ago) @ PsychoRaven

I was pre-ordering regardless :) *NM*

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 11:34 (4076 days ago) @ scarab

I want a tiger plushie *NM*

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 11:39 (4076 days ago) @ scarab

Rawr bitches.

Raspy! *NM*

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 11:53 (4076 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Raspy, stop! Bad kitty!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 11:05 (4076 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Actually that's the best kind of pre-order bonus in my opinion...

...But I also hate pre-order and store-exclusive bonuses. :)

by heckfu, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 11:50 (4076 days ago) @ Leviathan

Actually that's the best kind of pre-order bonus in my opinion...

...But I also hate pre-order and store-exclusive bonuses. :)

Pre-order bonuses are the worst things to happen in the game industry as far as in-game content and advantages are concerned. A wallpaper? That I can handle.

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:37 (4076 days ago) @ Beorn

Pre-order and get the Amazon exclusive Destiny Star Map digital wallpaper,

LOL!

Well, at least it isn't super-annoying, stupid, mutually exclusive stuff... yet.

by Daedalos42, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 12:57 (4076 days ago) @ RC

Preorder and get some store-exclusive armour and weapons that people won't notice anyways!

by kapowaz, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 13:15 (4076 days ago) @ Beorn

Amazon mentions a special star map wallpaper:

---
---

Am I the only person who finds the idea of a wallpaper for a videogame to be a pretty lousy pre-order perk?

All pre-order perks are lousy

by scarab @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 13:20 (4076 days ago) @ kapowaz

The very idea of them sucks.

To me preordering means:

• not forgetting to order it
  • will arrive on time
  • possibly cheaper if price rises b4 release

Those are sufficient reasons to preorder.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, February 17, 2013, 14:28 (4076 days ago) @ scarab

To me preordering means:

• will arrive on time

Except when they take almost a whole month longer to arrive...
Hope pre-orders down here in banana country work out just fine.

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Monday, February 18, 2013, 03:12 (4075 days ago) @ scarab

To me preordering means:

• will arrive on time

Only problem is, should stores be restricted from offering exclusive bonuses to encourage people from pre-ordering from *their* store and not from others? If every store offers POs, they'll want to find a way to get people to order (to buy) from them. Otherwise it's a huge lost opportunity. Pre-ordering in a sense is part of store marketing.
Not that I'm defending this PO bonus. but I don't think perks themselves are a Bad Thing. I do think it's incredibly frustrating tho, the more valuable and exclusive they are :P

What stores should do is offer their pre-order perk independently at a higher price after the game is released. That way if someone wants two stores' bonuses but not pre-order twice, they can get the one they want more, get the bonus (free with game) then buy the other bonus from the other store, and not feel they're missing out. Everyone wins then.

Of course, that presumes the bonuses are worth paying for in the first place :P

by pOpCoRnInTulsa @, OK, Monday, February 18, 2013, 09:08 (4075 days ago) @ Xenos

You guys think this game is being release this year based on the following mentioned in the polygon article:

When it's coming out. Activision and Bungie have not announced when Destiny will come to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, or when it will come to next-generation platforms. Activision says it's not factoring Destiny into its financial guidance for 2013. "We'll have announcements about release timing when we're ready," Activision says. <<

Hopefully it's a 2013 release, but the Activision comment makes we wonder.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, February 18, 2013, 09:21 (4075 days ago) @ pOpCoRnInTulsa

Hopefully it's a 2013 release, but the Activision comment makes we wonder.

The Activision press release that I posted this morning has this to say:

Activision has not included the launch in its 2013 outlook and there should be no speculation or expectation of a different result.

Sad story, I know...

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread