Obligatory Vent Thread (Destiny)

by Mad_Stylus, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 04:29 (2802 days ago)

Where we get things off our chest so we dont explode.

I hate the climb up Felwinter with a passion I cannot describe. It wouldn't be even half as bad if the physics engine didn't lose its shit if I jump anywhere near a wall/incline. I don't see how any of these surfaces mean I leap away from my destination like a fucking eagle and I wish I had my double jump if only so I could try and salvage some of those. It makes no sense, and being in third person really doesnt do any favors for advanced platforming.

If their wasnt a SIVA fragment up their, I'd be doing literally anything else.

Obligatory Vent Thread

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 04:49 (2802 days ago) @ Mad_Stylus

[image]

Obligatory Vent Thread

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 18:04 (2802 days ago) @ Mad_Stylus

being in third person really doesnt do any favors for advanced platforming.

Bungie should have the game pull the camera back and/or widen the FoV when you're in the climbing area.

They should widen the FoV to at least 78 in general for everything.

It doesn't turn all the way down/up

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 22, 2016, 18:28 (2802 days ago) @ uberfoop

That alone was enough to put me in a pickle several times.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 20:11 (2801 days ago) @ ZackDark

Yep, although it's sort of understandable. Prior to RoI there would have been no real need to look straight up or down in one of their "social" spaces.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, September 22, 2016, 20:19 (2801 days ago) @ stabbim

Yep, although it's sort of understandable. Prior to RoI there would have been no real need to look straight up or down in one of their "social" spaces.

The inability to look up or down as much as I expect to be able to has always bothered me. I mean, I don't need the center of my screen to be straight up/down, but at least let me put the edge of my screen straight up/down!

It's probably due to the Guardian's animation skeleton

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 22, 2016, 20:27 (2801 days ago) @ dogcow

Their heads follow the camera, up to a point. Bungie simply turned off head-tracking when looking behind you, but for some reason locked camera when the chin hits the chest/back of helmet hits back.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, September 23, 2016, 12:31 (2801 days ago) @ dogcow

Right, but I mean it wasn't functionally necessary at the time. It wouldn't have enhanced your ability to get around. Now, with this mountain climbing business, it could.

It's probably due to the Guardian's animation skeleton

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, September 23, 2016, 12:46 (2801 days ago) @ ZackDark

Their heads follow the camera, up to a point. Bungie simply turned off head-tracking when looking behind you, but for some reason locked camera when the chin hits the chest/back of helmet hits back.

I wish they would have let the camera move past that point by a certain # or degrees. Sure my head stops going back at a certain point, but my eyes 'keep going' a bit more to allow me see right above me. I can see how the current state was arrived at with a 'proper implementation' (my ideal) as lower priority issue which just never rose to the top of someone's queue.

Anyway... Yes! Thank you for sharing the why in regards to the animation skeleton & camera, I hadn't thought of that as being the reason why the camera stops at that point.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread