Return and Speak to Shaxx (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 14:11 (2802 days ago)

I am constantly bothered by the quest steps which have you return to the social space and speak with someone to get your next step. If I'm in the Plaguelands, and my next step is in the Plaguelands, why make me go back to Felwinter Peak? Why not let me stay in the world, and get updates via radio? I mentioned Diablo 2 in a thread below, and would like to illustrate why its quest system is so much better.

First of all, Diablo 2 has a town portal spell, which you can step through to return to town instantly. Further, the portal stays open and doesn't close until you go back through. So, if you have to return to town to speak with someone for a new quest step, you can take the portal, speak with them, then return right where you left off in your adventure with no loading screen at all. In Destiny, you have to stop what you are doing, end the mission, and face many loading screens.

Second, Diablo 2 actually has you speak with people to get new quest steps very infrequently. Things that your character can figure out are updated automatically, and you're generally only going back to end the quest, or to show them an item or something you found like that. As a result, you can largely quest without ever returning to town and just let one step flow into the next.

When you constantly are returning to the social space, it kills the flow, sense of discovery, and continuity of the quest. There is no reason, given that the patrol area is already loaded, why one step of the quest can't flow into the next right there without loading. Everything that takes place on the Plague Lands for example, could just be connected. We'd only have to leave to get to mars for that one step.

I am hoping in the future with Dest2ny, that there can be fewer interruptions to our story missions.

Return and Speak to Shaxx

by Kahzgul, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 15:04 (2802 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I agree. This is the sort of shenanigans that smaller MMOs tend to pull in order to make their world feel "bigger" because it takes you more time to just run back and forth talking to people. In this game it makes even less sense because (a) they already recorded dialogue for all of the quest text (which is awesome and I'm glad they did it) and (b) the Plaguelands is a pretty damn big space.

At the very least

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 17:17 (2802 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They could add those social spaces to the director. I mean, the Tower is on earth, yet we select the traveler (smaller than earth) to go there, which is on the main Director screen.

First world Problems.

To be fair, only the Tower isn't

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 22, 2016, 17:33 (2802 days ago) @ TheeChaos

- No text -

To be fair, only the Tower isn't

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 18:06 (2802 days ago) @ ZackDark

I'm not sure I follow.

Perhaps I'm bad at explaining.

From the Main director screen, you can only select the Traveler(tower). The rest you have to go into the respective planet's director (Earth-Felwinter's, Reef-uhh Reef?) to access.

Does that make more sense or am I completely lost as to what you are saying?

I got it the other way around

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 22, 2016, 18:29 (2802 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I thought you were complaining about the Tower being there, as opposed to the other not being there.

by Kuga, Friday, September 23, 2016, 00:08 (2801 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And the part about climbing mount arrest to defeat Baal who is straight up tentacles with the help of Tyreal before Baal corrupts the world stone. Lots of similarities.

Oh wait, when I went through the RoI story with Crow I kept mentioning Diablo 2 expansion parallels.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, September 23, 2016, 03:15 (2801 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think it's worth noting that Diablo 1 also had Town Portal. :)

Yeah, I this whole thing is a legit complaint IMO, and you're hardly the first one to bring it up. I only say that to mean that I'm sure Bungie is keenly aware of the desire from the community to spend less time hopping back to the tower, and I'd be surprised if they don't start doing things somewhat differently in the sequel. Although I think they're trying really hard to get people together in the social spaces as much as possible, so they'd have to come up with some other way to do that. And I'm not sure what it would be.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread