I'm a little disappointed in the new RoI armor (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 18:00 (2802 days ago)

Not because it's bad, but more because it isn't distinctly better (or really all that different) from the old armor I've been wearing since TTK. I've found I'm better off just infusing my old gear rather than using anything new that drops simply because the odds of any new gear having an equivalent or superior stat roll is so low.

HoW was the last time I found it exciting . . .

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 18:10 (2802 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Other than maybe doing the Black Spindle and Sleeper Simulant quests, House of Wolves was the last time I was really excited about getting new gear. That was also not long after I first started playing the game at all, so everything was still exciting, for whatever that's worth.

I miss the old leveling system, and I definitely miss the old gear.

I'm a little disappointed in the new RoI armor

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 18:19 (2802 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Not because it's bad, but more because it isn't distinctly better (or really all that different) from the old armor I've been wearing since TTK. I've found I'm better off just infusing my old gear rather than using anything new that drops simply because the odds of any new gear having an equivalent or superior stat roll is so low.

I think this is a side effect of having so much time between content updates. For us (the hardcore player base), one of the few ways to continue a feeling of personal progression has been to spend the past year collecting the best armor we can. I'm not as hardcore about it as some others, but I've put together combinations of armor on each of my characters that are geared towards certain activities or weapon combos, and I've spent months doing it. It's tough for me to ditch many of my individual pieces of armor because I wear them in conjunction with other pieces for specific loadouts.

Despite this, I've decided to just throw caution into the wind and equip new armor when I like the look of it. I'll get like a thousand of each new armor piece over the next year, so I'll worry about ideal stat rolls later. For now, I'm excited wearing new stuff :)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 18:24 (2802 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Despite this, I've decided to just throw caution into the wind and equip new armor when I like the look of it. I'll get like a thousand of each new armor piece over the next year, so I'll worry about ideal stat rolls later. For now, I'm excited wearing new stuff :)

I should probably just do this. Being tactical all the time isn't that fun.

I've been enjoying the Warlock gear

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 18:25 (2802 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I can't speak for Titans or Hunters, but I've got to disagree about the Warlock gear. I was never a fan of the TTK Warlock getup, but the new Vanguard/Crucible stuff for Warlocks looks great to me. I love the clean lines and color themes. Very excited to see what they've got in store for Trials, the raid, and Iron Banner.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 18:27 (2802 days ago) @ Beorn

I can't speak for Titans or Hunters, but I've got to disagree about the Warlock gear. I was never a fan of the TTK Warlock getup, but the new Vanguard/Crucible stuff for Warlocks looks great to me. I love the clean lines and color themes. Very excited to see what they've got in store for Trials, the raid, and Iron Banner.

I can speak for Titans when I say that I've yet to see good stuff for titans. Almost all of it is just "meh" and so far I haven't seen anything that is terrible with RoI. So here is for hoping there is some good stuff.

Don't get me wrong - the art is great

by Kahzgul, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 18:27 (2802 days ago) @ Beorn

I'm disappointed in the *stats* not the art. The art is cool, which is why the fact that equipping the new, cooler looking gear also gimps my stats is so disappointing.

I must be missing something, looks all the same to me.

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 18:35 (2802 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Woah, the warlock gear looks like some lost boys nonsense...

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 18:59 (2802 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 19:23 (2802 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think this is a side effect of having so much time between content updates. For us (the hardcore player base), one of the few ways to continue a feeling of personal progression has been to spend the past year collecting the best armor we can. I'm not as hardcore about it as some others, but I've put together combinations of armor on each of my characters that are geared towards certain activities or weapon combos, and I've spent months doing it. It's tough for me to ditch many of my individual pieces of armor because I wear them in conjunction with other pieces for specific loadouts.

Yeah, comparing a year worth of armor drops to barely two days worth is... kinda not exactly as fair as possible... Personally, I'm mixing and matching. I'm keeping my Int/Str/Dis where I want it and swapping out for equal or better perks... I'll get around to making some art matched sets a little later. :)

by Oholiab @, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 19:33 (2802 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I've found I'm better off just infusing my old gear rather than using anything new that drops simply because the odds of any new gear having an equivalent or superior stat roll is so low.

Been doing the same thing.

Pics?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 19:36 (2802 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Not the stuff I'm looking at...

Hmmm vendors aren't available on Bungie.net at the moment

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 21:31 (2802 days ago) @ Beorn

Not the stuff I'm looking at...

And I've packed up my XB1 cause I'm heading to my brother-in-law's tomorrow to rock the raid.

Mind sharing a pic? I'd love to be proven wrong here. There was something around the collar area for warlocks that looked like they were wearing a tarp and someone tore it off of them...

Here is how I look/WANT to look

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 21:33 (2802 days ago) @ kidtsunami

[image]

Don't get me wrong - the art is great

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 21:34 (2802 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Isn't this also a factor of your current light level compared to the max? The level of Int/Dis/Str your armor has is multiplied by a factor of your light level in relation to max light level.

Max light is what, 385? So right now if you're like me 340/385 * your stats, that's what's dropping you below tier 10, 11 or 12, not that the rolls are just really bad. That same gear a month or two from now when your closer to 380 will be back to being tier 11 gear.

Pic soon

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 21:57 (2802 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Mind sharing a pic? I'd love to be proven wrong here. There was something around the collar area for warlocks that looked like they were wearing a tarp and someone tore it off of them...

Currently at work, but I'll post something as soon as I can do a screen grab...

Pics/Video

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 23:14 (2802 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I really dig the "Raku Izumi IV" and "Temporis Floe IV" (no shader!):
[image] [image]

Spin me right round baby…

And here it is with the Caelestis shader:

However, I cannot vouch for the Dead Orbit gear this time... This is terrifying.
[image]

Tempori Floes look great

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 22, 2016, 23:17 (2802 days ago) @ Beorn

I do not like the helmets, though... Samsara was such a great step in the right direction...

Here is how I look/WANT to look

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, September 23, 2016, 04:19 (2801 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I was checking out the clan roster earlier and everyone looks so decked out. Nearly max-light level with exotics and legendaries up the butt. I'd imagine I'd look like that too bad I kept with it.

Ok yeah, I was hating on the Faction gear...

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, September 23, 2016, 10:16 (2801 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

I really only got back into regular playing for ROI

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, September 23, 2016, 11:15 (2801 days ago) @ Grizzlei

You'll get there! The strikes are a solid source of loot at the moment!

Pics/Video

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, September 23, 2016, 12:10 (2801 days ago) @ Beorn

However, I cannot vouch for the Dead Orbit gear this time... This is terrifying.
[image]

Yeah, I'm not really digging all of the camo stuff thrown into Dead Orbit this time around. I may have to switch to FWC.

-Disciple

"And yeah, give them a tattered bib with the faction logo.."

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, September 23, 2016, 12:16 (2801 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Pics/Video

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, September 23, 2016, 12:29 (2801 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

[image]

Yeah, I'm not really digging all of the camo stuff thrown into Dead Orbit this time around. I may have to switch to FWC.

-Disciple

This is the only acceptable pattern for Dead Orbit.
[image]

+1

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, September 23, 2016, 12:53 (2801 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Would buy silver for suit armor.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, September 23, 2016, 13:15 (2801 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

I had the same thought

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, September 23, 2016, 14:44 (2801 days ago) @ bluerunner

This is the only acceptable pattern for Dead Orbit.
[image]

I actually thought that the weird Dead Orbit pattern might have come from a DeeJ jacket, but I couldn't be sure. I searched online, but all I found was that one you posted.

FWC needs you!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, September 23, 2016, 14:46 (2801 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

-Disciple

That would be the right decision. FWC needs members to prepare for the coming war.

+1

by Robot Chickens, Friday, September 23, 2016, 16:09 (2801 days ago) @ BeardFade

I hadn't considered that. I've embraced some of the new gear just because I like the art better, but you are right, my old gear probably has better stats because it was closer to max light when I acquired it.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, September 23, 2016, 19:26 (2801 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Are you talking about the stuff from the book? Or just any old random Vanguard/Crucible/faction roll?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, September 23, 2016, 19:50 (2801 days ago) @ Beorn

I agree. I find myself holding on to a Temporis Floe IV chestpiece. Something about the symmetry is just a breath of fresh air for me. Same for the Days of Iron chestpiece and gauntlets, which I wasn't a fan of until I checked them out on my own Guardian.

I've never really found a helmet that I loved besides the Facade of the Hezen Lords, but the Hadron Gale IV is really awesome. Reminds me of a cyber-ninja helmet, like something that the Warlocks stole from Titans. Plus, it matches the style of the Voidfang Vestments, which is great.

Also, we have a few more boot options than different wimpy cowboy boots, which makes me happy.

My current look:

[image]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread