Book of Sorrows (Spoilers if you haven't read it) (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 29, 2016, 14:43 (2766 days ago)

So I've been reading up on the grimoires and while doing that I just came to a weird parallel.
Correct me if I'm wrong. First, for some backstory, It was said that on Foundation (birth world of the hive) there where two entities:
1. The Leviathan (The Deep)
2. The Traveler (The Sky)

This is mostly speculation, but it was the Honest worm Yul that gave the three sisters their worm to become hive kings/queens and live past their short 10 years of life. I'm a belief that Yul is in some way an association with The Deep. It just fits for some reason. Mainly because of the hatred for the traveler and the need to destroy. Anyway, my point is that when Yul gave the three sisters their worms they became thus:

You must obey your nature forever. In your immortality, Aurash, you may never cease to explore and inquire, for the sake of your children. In your immortality, Xi Ro, you may never cease to test your strength. In your immortality, Sathona, you may never abandon cunning.

I see a very strong parallel between these three and Guardians, who the traveler essentially created.

1. Titans who never cease to test their strength
2. Warlocks who never cease to explore and inquire
3. Hunters who never abandon cunning

It just fits so well that I can't help but notice it. Oddly it still took me a little while for it to click. Even if you forget the whole good (Traveler) vs evil (Leviathan) and light vs dark. There is huge feeling like we are the children of our parents made to fight their battles.

Very similar to Babylon 5...

Book of Sorrows (Spoilers if you haven't read it)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, September 29, 2016, 15:00 (2766 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

So I've been reading up on the grimoires and while doing that I just came to a weird parallel.
Correct me if I'm wrong. First, for some backstory, It was said that on Foundation (birth world of the hive) there where two entities:
1. The Leviathan (The Deep)
2. The Traveler (The Sky)
[snip]
It just fits so well that I can't help but notice it. Oddly it still took me a little while for it to click. Even if you forget the whole good (Traveler) vs evil (Leviathan) and light vs dark. There is huge feeling like we are the children of our parents made to fight their battles.

I thought the leviathan was a disciple of the traveller.

Edit: Very cool observation with the 3 sisters & the 3 classes. I hadn't noticed this, seems so obvious now.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, September 29, 2016, 15:18 (2766 days ago) @ dogcow

Yeah. The Leviathan tries to warn the three sisters away from their path but they don't listen to it. It is killed and (I think) eaten by the worm gods as the Hive defeat the civilization living on Fundament's 52 moons.

Mirrored philosophy

by Durandal, Thursday, September 29, 2016, 15:28 (2766 days ago) @ Ragashingo

In most of the grimoire, the Light and Darkness are mirrors of one another, physically and philosophically.

The taken are the darkness's version of guardians. The Hive rulers are a dark reflection of the Vanguard.

The key seems to be that the Darkness puts everything into service of itself. Taken have no will and must serve the appointed leader, where as Ghosts serve the will of each guardian. Those who serve the darkness are enslaved by it, forced into a path that benefits it above all else. Even the sword realms exist at the behest of the darkness. If Oryx ever tried to usurp the Darkness's power like he did with Akka, the darkness could simply refuse to empower him, or consume him anyway in defiance of the pact. For what authority would Oryx appeal to?

Mirrored philosophy

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 29, 2016, 15:38 (2766 days ago) @ Durandal

In most of the grimoire, the Light and Darkness are mirrors of one another, physically and philosophically.

If the goal of the Darkness is to escape the heat death of the universe by defying causality… then does that mean the Light / Traveler's goal is… just to die?

Probably live life to its fullest, but embrace its end

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 29, 2016, 15:57 (2766 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

#Istandwiththedarkness

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, September 29, 2016, 16:01 (2766 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Death gives shape to a life

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, September 29, 2016, 17:10 (2766 days ago) @ ZackDark

If the stars die, why not us?

Mirrored philosophy

by Durandal, Thursday, September 29, 2016, 16:03 (2766 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If the goal of the Darkness is to escape the heat death of the universe by defying causality… then does that mean the Light / Traveler's goal is… just to die?

The goal of the Darkness is to live, to dominate, to become so powerful that the universe will be forced into a shape that accommodates it (rather then the vex, who have a shape for every outcome).

I think you are confusing the Darkness for Marathon's Durandal.

Username checks out

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 29, 2016, 20:18 (2766 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

lol

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, September 29, 2016, 20:40 (2765 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Life....finds a way

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, September 29, 2016, 16:05 (2766 days ago) @ Cody Miller

well there you have it

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, September 29, 2016, 15:21 (2766 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Cool parallel. I knew each of their strengths but for whatever reason never connected it to the classes. It's neat how a different point of view can reveal new things.

Nice work. :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread