And now, for something completely different... (Off-Topic)

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 04:36 (2760 days ago)

Well, sorta. If you know me you know I've posted about my RC obsessi...er, passion before, and this is no exception. The "difference" is due to the fact that THIS RC plane has a MOTOR! (I'm mostly a glider-man). Not just ANY motor, a 70mm electric-ducted-fan (EDF), powering a scale model of an A-4 Skyhawk! It's like, my favorite little jet of all time. :D

This video is from today, it was the maiden flight, and I got to take my son along. It was an awesome afternoon. :)

Wait. None of your planes have had motors?

by Funkmon @, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 04:47 (2760 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

Wait. None of your planes have had motors?

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 04:58 (2760 days ago) @ Funkmon

Not sure how much sarcasm I should be detecting, given the crowd, but no; most of the planes I've posted about have been slope-gliders, which do not have motors. I DID post once about flying in a World Record attempt at Flite Fest 2016 (which we DID succeed at), and that one was powered, but all the rest were gliders.

I've flown other powered stuff in the past, but the bulk of my RC hobby investment is in slope gliders.

THAT'S AWESOME.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 19:16 (2760 days ago) @ Mid7night

I watch all your videos and I never even thought about it. They fly so well and so long, I assumed they had motors. What is the reason for putting it off so long?

THAT'S AWESOME.

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Monday, October 03, 2016, 00:40 (2759 days ago) @ Funkmon

I watch all your videos and I never even thought about it. They fly so well and so long, I assumed they had motors. What is the reason for putting it off so long?

I've actually flown quite a bit of powered in the past, but at the same time I was getting into slope soaring and sloping is just SO much more relaxing and enjoyable....and less expensive. Since gliders don't need motors, they don't need speed-controllers or big motor-sized batteries, all of which cost a lot more than a small battery for the receiver and servos. Crashing/repairing/reusing is a lot cheaper without motors. :)

The flight-time ROI is a lot better too, because you can fly a sloper as long as the wind blows at the hill, the battery will last for DAYS. Versus a powered plane that barely flies for 5 minutes, if you're lucky.

P.S. Here's two more flights from today...I got a little more daring with a few barrel rolls and close passes. :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread