I'm really disappointed in 340-365 and especially 365+ (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 15:35 (2784 days ago)

Unless Iron Banner or some other special event really changes the landscape, I'm not sure I want to bother with this.

It really comes down to Bungie setting recommended Raid light to 370 but implementing a firmish level cap at 365. One activity should prepare you for the next without having to bridge the gap with rare loot like exotic engrams and skeleton keys.

Iron Banner will definitely change the landscape

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 15:41 (2784 days ago) @ petetheduck

Even running a few Trials cards this weekend bought me a couple Light, so IB should help quite a bit.

Iron Banner will definitely change the landscape

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 15:46 (2784 days ago) @ Beorn

I hope it's dropping high level ghosts and artifacts, because that is what is holding me back. I have everything in the 370s except them, and now exotics and faction packages just aren't bumping me up.

IB usually drops ghosts but not artifacts

by Kahzgul, Monday, October 03, 2016, 14:24 (2783 days ago) @ bluerunner

Trials usually drops artifacts but not ghosts.

I'm really disappointed in 340-365 and especially 365+

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 15:48 (2784 days ago) @ petetheduck

Unless Iron Banner or some other special event really changes the landscape, I'm not sure I want to bother with this.

It really comes down to Bungie setting recommended Raid light to 370 but implementing a firmish level cap at 365. One activity should prepare you for the next without having to bridge the gap with rare loot like exotic engrams and skeleton keys.

I think the RoI "end game" loop is the worst we've had since vanilla Destiny. It shows a complete lack of development and refinement. The fact that we're now into year 3 and STILL getting half-backed, rushed content is not encouraging, to say the least.

On the bright side, I think the raid is spectacular. Absolutely love it. I'm very much looking forward to playing the game a couple months from now, when all the "levelling up" garbage is out of the way and I can just focus on playing the game with friends, doing whatever activities we want with whatever gear we want, without anyone needing to worry about whether or not their gear is leveled high enough or anything like that. I adore Destiny once it gets out of its own way :)

Agreed

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 16:04 (2784 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I don't think it's quite as hard to level as people claim, but it's still an absolutely awful system.

Agreed

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 16:11 (2784 days ago) @ someotherguy

I don't think it's quite as hard to level as people claim, but it's still an absolutely awful system.

The reason some people are finding it "harder" than others is because it is completely dependant on RNG. If you have good luck with drops, great! You'll level up fairly quickly. But if you have bad luck, you're fucked and there's nothing you can do about it except grind longer.

Activities like IB and Trials will certainly help. It'd be great if there was a similar PvE activity.

Well, at least we finally got the Cody mystery solved...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 17:08 (2784 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The reason some people are finding it "harder" than others is because it is completely dependant on RNG. If you have good luck with drops, great! You'll level up fairly quickly. But if you have bad luck, you're fucked and there's nothing you can do about it except grind longer.

Turns out Cody really did level super slowly, and he really does never get Strange Coins or Motes of Light.

Why? because as he admitted last night, he discards all blue engrams, because apparently he thought that Legendary Engrams were all that mattered, despite us repeatedly telling him that Blues help you get higher-light (including Legendaries!), Strange Coins, materials, and Motes.

I nearly gave myself a concussion from facepalming so hard...
So yeah, Cody really did have to grind three times as much as everyone else to get to the same levels... But it was entirely as a result of his own actions.

Activities like IB and Trials will certainly help. It'd be great if there was a similar PvE activity.

Post-patch Archon's Forge is pretty great now in terms of a steady stream of loot (dozens of Blues, Lots of high-light Legendaries from the bosses). I ran it for a bit last night after Trials, and ended up with about two dozen blue engrams (and a handful of Legendaries).

But yeah, Trials drops loot regardless of whether you win or lose (apart from the 5 & 7 drops, and the fact that you can get three Gold packages a day (assuming you run all three characters), for a total of 12 Gold packages each weekend of Trials. It's a TON of loot.

And since we've established that the Raid can be done with 350s in your team (unless you're terrible, like Avateur), and you can get double loot on each encounter (assuming you craft SIVA keys, which are easy to collect), you shouldn't have trouble leveling in PvE. Just gotta man up and do the raid.
(This was our Blind Raid team, and keep in mind that we didn't have Cyber for the final encounter:)
[image]

by petetheduck, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 17:16 (2784 days ago) @ Korny

Turns out Cody really did level super slowly, and he really does never get Strange Coins or Motes of Light.

Why? because as he admitted last night, he discards all blue engrams, because apparently he thought that Legendary Engrams were all that mattered, despite us repeatedly telling him that Blues help you get higher-light (including Legendaries!), Strange Coins, materials, and Motes.

So yeah, Cody really did have to grind three times as much as everyone else to get to the same levels... But it was entirely as a result of his own actions.

Post-patch Archon's Forge is pretty great now in terms of a steady stream of loot (dozens of Blues, Lots of high-light Legendaries from the bosses). I ran it for a bit last night after Trials, and ended up with about two dozen blue engrams (and a handful of Legendaries).

High-light legendaries from AF still cap at 365, right?

But yeah, Trials drops loot regardless of whether you win or lose (apart from the 5 & 7 drops, and the fact that you can get three Gold packages a day (assuming you run all three characters), for a total of 12 Gold packages each weekend of Trials. It's a TON of loot.

And since we've established that the Raid can be done with 350s in your team (unless you're terrible, like Avateur), and you can get double loot on each encounter (assuming you craft SIVA keys, which are easy to collect), you shouldn't have trouble leveling in PvE. Just gotta man up and do the raid.
(This was our Blind Raid team, and keep in mind that we didn't have Cyber for the final encounter:)
[image]

I think next weekend I'll give Trials bounties a shot and see where that gets me. I'm not terrible like Avateur, I'm my own special version of terrible.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 17:18 (2784 days ago) @ petetheduck

No, I'm getting 375-377.

I think next weekend I'll give Trials bounties a shot and see where that gets me. I'm not terrible like Avateur, I'm my own special version of terrible.

Hey, at least you don't need to win matches to get the Silver and Gold.

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 19:36 (2784 days ago) @ Korny

No, I'm getting 375-377.

He's right that high-light legendary ENGRAMS cap at 365. But unencrypted stuff can be higher. (And actually almost always is, if you're higher than 365.)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 17:49 (2784 days ago) @ Korny

Yeah. Blues top out at 340, so I stopped decoding them because I thought it was pointless when 340 wouldn't help me.

Oops.

Hell, I even got an Exotic out of blue once...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, October 03, 2016, 09:22 (2783 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Avateur @, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 18:05 (2784 days ago) @ Korny

And since we've established that the Raid can be done with 350s in your team (unless you're terrible, like Avateur)

A Raid is a team thing, and our mechanics are flawless. It was a team DPS failure. I'm terrible for other reasons, Trollymunky. Btw, off topic, but that GV stuff at HBO? Hilarious!

That you find that hilarious...

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 18:11 (2784 days ago) @ Avateur

And since we've established that the Raid can be done with 350s in your team (unless you're terrible, like Avateur)

A Raid is a team thing, and our mechanics are flawless. It was a team DPS failure. I'm terrible for other reasons, Trollymunky. Btw, off topic, but that GV stuff at HBO? Hilarious!

Is disappointing. Do you just feed on awful negativity?

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 18:13 (2784 days ago) @ kidtsunami

How could you see GV's overblown hissy fit as anything but hilarious?

+1

by Avateur @, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 18:15 (2784 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Because finding it hilarious is unproductive

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 18:42 (2784 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

That's . . .

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 18:52 (2784 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I'm sorry, but that's just dumb.

Finding funny things funny doesn't have to be productive. I literally laughed out loud. And then I moved on with my life. What exactly is there to be productive about? HBO hasn't changed in years, and it's not going to. It doesn't need to. HBO is what HBO is. GV is at least as negative and destructive as Korny, as shown by that nice little outburst of his--him trying to point fingers and lay the blame on everyone else (and for what? What's there to blame anyone for? Halo is an old franchise now, people have moved on. It's natural, especially given the passing of the torch to 343i. Love it or hate, it's not the same Halo that pulled the community together in the first place. It's not anyone's fault, it's just the way things are).

So, yeah, it's hilarious, even if only in an ironic way. The politics of an internet forum is always funny, because the fact that anyone takes it so fucking seriously is funny.

All I know is that I like GV way more now and I lolled.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 19:14 (2784 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

+1, and I couldn't care less about HBO

by ProbablyLast, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 19:20 (2784 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

by Avateur @, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 18:14 (2784 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by Avateur, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 18:18

HBO isn't my thing anymore. I haven't been back there in years homie. Halo died somewhere around Halo 4. Maybe the Reach "TU", but that's for historians to figure out. I mostly just feed on being linked to it and seeing that it's still a thing over there that people get SO MAD about. Mostly the GV kaboom. Has nothing changed? And I'm not even there to contribute or be aware of it. That thread has to be the first thing I've read at HBO in a stupidly, stupidly long time. And yes, I definitely laughed. The more things change, the more they stay the same I suppose!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 20:39 (2784 days ago) @ Avateur

HBO isn't my thing anymore. I haven't been back there in years homie. Halo died somewhere around Halo 4. Maybe the Reach "TU", but that's for historians to figure out.

I am a historian covering this topic currently!

The answer is indeed the TU :-p

by petetheduck, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 19:25 (2784 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I just found that thread and I'm sorry but it's hilarious. GV just jumps right in there; first sentence is like "well that escalated quickly"

And some of the replies. Best thread I've read in a while.

9/10 would laugh about unproductively again

Looks like I just didn't get it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 20:09 (2784 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 14:04 (2782 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Well, it is telling that the thought of 'trolling' led him to thoughts on the HBO post. :)

- MacGyver10

by Avateur @, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 22:43 (2782 days ago) @ MacGyver10

Didn't you try this once before, at HBO, and it didn't work out very well Mr. Presumptive? ;)

This'll save me from storm, but you'll be consumed.*Raid SP*

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 18:22 (2784 days ago) @ Avateur

Everyone get in the shelter.

Damn subject maximum length.

HA

by Funkmon @, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 19:21 (2784 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

- No text -

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few

by petetheduck, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 19:31 (2784 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Or the one. Haha.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 20:09 (2784 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

This'll save me from storm, but you'll be consumed.*Raid SP*

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 22:55 (2784 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

The first time that happened to us, I used a Rudy joke.

I have NO idea why. XD

lol, i actually said that friday night in our group

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, October 03, 2016, 18:08 (2783 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

great minds thinks alike

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, October 03, 2016, 13:14 (2783 days ago) @ Korny

So... Maybe I'm missing something here, but how do blue engrams help you post light 340 when they only decrypt to light level 340 max? I mean, aside from weapon & armor parts you get when you shard them and cryptarch rep for decrypting them.

I've been hanging onto the blue engrams & decrypting them just for the rep & parts, but they mostly just add a bunch of housekeeping, as far as I've seen.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, October 03, 2016, 13:28 (2783 days ago) @ dogcow

So... Maybe I'm missing something here, but how do blue engrams help you post light 340 when they only decrypt to light level 340 max? I mean, aside from weapon & armor parts you get when you shard them and cryptarch rep for decrypting them.

I've been hanging onto the blue engrams & decrypting them just for the rep & parts, but they mostly just add a bunch of housekeeping, as far as I've seen.

They will occasionally decrypt into a legendary which could be up to light level 365. It's fairly rare, sure, but even if it's only 1 in 25, at the rate that rare engrams are dropping, it still seems to happen fairly often. Also, since there's the possibility of them decrypting into an artifact, if the stars align and your blue engram becomes a purple artifact, that can be a pretty good bump since the ghost shells and artifacts seem to be the hardest to come by.

Even after you reach light level 365 and the occasional blue->purple decrpytion doesn't help you anymore, I have had at least one instance where a rare engram decrypted into an exotic item that was over 365 light.

-Disciple

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, October 03, 2016, 13:36 (2783 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

They will occasionally decrypt into a legendary which could be up to light level 365. It's fairly rare, sure, but even if it's only 1 in 25, at the rate that rare engrams are dropping, it still seems to happen fairly often. Also, since there's the possibility of them decrypting into an artifact, if the stars align and your blue engram becomes a purple artifact, that can be a pretty good bump since the ghost shells and artifacts seem to be the hardest to come by.

Even after you reach light level 365 and the occasional blue->purple decrpytion doesn't help you anymore, I have had at least one instance where a rare engram decrypted into an exotic item that was over 365 light.

-Disciple

I've had possibly one, maybe two decrypt into legendaries in the past two weeks. I certainly do not recall it helping me with my light level. Maybe I'm just unlucky. The only help I've recognized from blue engrams is weapon & armor parts and cryptarch reputation.

Strange Coins and Motes too

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, October 03, 2016, 13:49 (2783 days ago) @ dogcow

It seems Cody was always short on those as well, so it would help anyway.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, October 03, 2016, 13:51 (2783 days ago) @ ZackDark

It seems Cody was always short on those as well, so it would help anyway.

I didn't think about this. I've had an overabundance of coins and motes lately and have gotten a fair amount of my 365+ gear by trading motes for faction rep.

-Disciple

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, October 03, 2016, 14:41 (2783 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Use the coins to buy heavy ammo from Xur. Turn that in for faction rep. I leveled up DO several times this weekend by just doing that.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 03, 2016, 14:53 (2783 days ago) @ bluerunner

Use the coins to buy heavy ammo from Xur. Turn that in for faction rep. I leveled up DO several times this weekend by just doing that.

I mean, playing crucible with an Exotic class item on levels up your faction stupid fast. And that's a lot more fun.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, October 03, 2016, 15:02 (2783 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I mean, playing crucible with an Exotic class item on levels up your faction stupid fast. And that's a lot more fun.

Maybe, but if you've got the coins to burn, it's not like the coins > ammo > rep exchange process is hard work. Might as well take a few minutes to score some easy faction gear before heading to the crucible.

-Disciple

You mean buy synths from Variks, right?

by Kahzgul, Monday, October 03, 2016, 17:25 (2783 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Because Variks sells them for 250 glimmer + 1 ether seed, whereas the gunsmith sells them for 950 glimmer each.

You mean buy synths from Variks, right?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, October 03, 2016, 18:22 (2783 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Because Variks sells them for 250 glimmer + 1 ether seed, whereas the gunsmith sells them for 950 glimmer each.

That works too. I burned through my ether seeds (don't need them when I have a shell that gives glimmer for fallen kills). Xur gives 3 per coin, so you get a lot. The only downside is having to hold down the button every time you buy them.

And don't forget to wear your exotic class item when turning them in. I forgot a couple of times. It's a nice boost.

This. Also, Weapon Parts is pretty good too

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, October 03, 2016, 17:26 (2783 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Apparently, best bang-for-your-buck when it comes to Glimmer, which I, for one, have no idea where to spend.

RNG :(

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, October 03, 2016, 13:49 (2783 days ago) @ dogcow

I've had possibly one, maybe two decrypt into legendaries in the past two weeks. I certainly do not recall it helping me with my light level. Maybe I'm just unlucky. The only help I've recognized from blue engrams is weapon & armor parts and cryptarch reputation.

I may just be having a pretty good run of luck, then. I'll typically put Destiny Item Manager into "Farming Mode" and run strikes/crucible/Archon's Forge/whatever for a couple of hours and when I'm ready to head to the tower to decrypt (because, for some reason, Tyra Karn doesn't give you the reward packages when you rank up), I'll almost always have at least one rare that decrypts into a legendary.

Knowing that I might be having better-than-average luck with engram RNG, I wish I could focus that luck on getting an exotic heavy to drop so I could at least have a shot at picking up a Nemesis Star. This game seems to think that what I really need is more exotic boots, though :p

-Disciple

Agreed

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, October 03, 2016, 13:24 (2783 days ago) @ someotherguy
edited by dogcow, Monday, October 03, 2016, 13:29

Really? I leveled a sum total of 1 light after running heroics strikes for 3 flipping hours last Wednesday night. Admittedly the next night I gained about 6 light in 2 1/2 hours, which still feels kinda slow, anyway... If you have a couple nights like my Wednesday night last week I think you'd be screaming & hollering about how hard it is to progress.

Edit: I'm not crying about it being hard, I'm just empathizing with those who are having difficulties. Also, if I had to cram the # of hours I've played in the past two weeks into the first week of Rise I'd have to take the week off just to be ready for the raid. Super glad I'm not doing that this time around (although the blind pool for me to raid with is shrinking very quickly).

Yapok has a blind raid in the works

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, October 03, 2016, 14:30 (2783 days ago) @ dogcow

I'm in the same boat, just hit 355 and it takes forever. I'm not deleting blue engrams lol, just bad RNG. Faction packages have been the best help to me.

I'm still blind. Holding out as best I can.

by Yapok @, Monday, October 03, 2016, 18:05 (2783 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Im not blind haha, i enjoy watching some twitch streams. But i havnt run it yet. My main thing is my availability ends before the PDT crew events even start

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, October 03, 2016, 18:17 (2783 days ago) @ Yapok

I thought you were saving yourself. :'(

Well, I'm still good for your general timeslot, but admittedly prefer to play the first one without spoilers.

by Yapok @, Monday, October 03, 2016, 18:44 (2783 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Unfortunately you were the only one to reply to that thread. I suspect that there is not enough DBOrs in that earlier EDT time slot anymore on ps4. I probably will have to look elsewhere to find a full group :(. I can keep quiet on spoilers though naturally if we get your blind raid going.

I've done tons of raiding with Warcraft in my day so ive had my fill of spending all day banging my head against a wall for 6+ hours for 4 days a week for a month trying to figure out and master a raid encounter and lead 20 people doing it. Blind raids are just not my thing anymore when i really just want to experience the content at some point casually and get some of the cool gear. That and i really enjoy watching the race to worlds first on twitch at work ;). I understand whats fun about blind raids and I definitely would not ruin that for you.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, October 03, 2016, 19:06 (2783 days ago) @ Yapok

I'm sure there are more people. When would you want to get on? I generally get back from the gym after 7 and then hop on about 8 to 830.

by Yapok @, Monday, October 03, 2016, 20:34 (2783 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Im in bed between 10-11 usually, and I finish dinner and start gaming usually around 6:30pm.

by petetheduck, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 16:33 (2784 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think the RoI "end game" loop is the worst we've had since vanilla Destiny. It shows a complete lack of development and refinement. The fact that we're now into year 3 and STILL getting half-backed, rushed content is not encouraging, to say the least.

On the bright side, I think the raid is spectacular. Absolutely love it. I'm very much looking forward to playing the game a couple months from now, when all the "levelling up" garbage is out of the way and I can just focus on playing the game with friends, doing whatever activities we want with whatever gear we want, without anyone needing to worry about whether or not their gear is leveled high enough or anything like that. I adore Destiny once it gets out of its own way :)

So, when does Titanfall come out..

That's the spirit.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 20:09 (2784 days ago) @ petetheduck

Also Elite: Dangerous is getting a cool update soon.

Pretty much.

by ProbablyLast, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 18:16 (2784 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Artifacts were only introduced as an obstacle for meaningful progression and it shows a lot right now. I'm sure they'll swoop in to be heroes and make them drop like candy with the hard raid/challenge modes. But right now, it is bad.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 20:40 (2784 days ago) @ petetheduck

You'd think that would be the case seeing as how TTK did exactly that.

Can someone explain the flaw to me?

by Earendil, Monday, October 03, 2016, 15:59 (2783 days ago) @ petetheduck

Here is my experience:

Play activities, get drops that are sometimes 1-3 light level higher than myself.
Faction rep (vanguard, crucible, cryptarc, faction) rises, and packages drop that are always one to two items 1-3 light higher than current light level.

Guaranteed light progression. No RNG required.

Bonus:
1. Blue items decrypt to 5 higher than previous max and purple decrypt to 30 light higher, making the immediate jump faster.
2. Spare anything can be turned into faction rep, which is guaranteed items higher than your current light level.

The one thing this system does have built in is time. I spent probably more time that I'd like playing strikes with 3 free days in the last week because I wanted to be as raid ready as possible for this last weekend. But every progression game I've ever played has time built in, that's what makes progression measurable. What I (and many) have a problem with is the RNG aspect where two people put in the same time and have vastly different power. But are we really at vastly different power? I'd wager (with no data) that our skill difference as individuals is significantly greater than the 5 light level difference that RNG has dealt us.

If anything, I'd have been okay with a greater delay between the RoI launch and the raid release. However, I also recognize that desire as selfish, because it would have only accommodated my life and my ability to put time into a progression system. And at the end of the day I started the raid at 365, finished at 367, and never felt like it wasn't doable, I just had to play smarter and more consistently.

So I don't know. The game can still feel grindy, but any progression game can if you find yourself google searching "how to progress the fastest". At least with the current system the race is a predictable one, which makes it a good system. The trick for me personally is to allow it to be a walk-a-thon and not make it into a sprint.

Flaw Explained

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 03, 2016, 16:09 (2783 days ago) @ Earendil
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, October 03, 2016, 16:16

The flaw is that to continue progressing after you finish the story missions, you need to do repetitive activities. It does not matter if you are leveling up quickly, or slowly. You are going to be replaying the same things over and over. Be that the strike playlist, Archon's Forge, or whatever else. Both of which Korny used, and he allegedly leveled quickly.

The game does not give you anything fun to do while you progress. So regardless the speed, you are stuck playing boring, mind numbing, repetitive shit. Contrast this with Taken King which had a mini storyline to tackle after you complete the regicide mission. New locations. The story progresses. A cool few boss fights even. So you could have fun while you progress.

Archon's forge is mind numbingly simple and repetitive. The strike playlist is comprised of mostly old strikes you'd done a bazillion times before. You have to do SOMETHING to gain engrams and rep, but what's available is rather boring.

The issue is not speed, but what's actually left to do between the story missions and the raid being of low quality.

P.S. My last 3 faction packages have given me items lower than my current light level.

What I (and many) have a problem with is the RNG aspect where two people put in the same time and have vastly different power. But are we really at vastly different power? I'd wager (with no data) that our skill difference as individuals is significantly greater than the 5 light level difference that RNG has dealt us.

An astute observation. If skill matters most, why have light level at all? Get rid of it if it doesn't actually matter. A number indicating you overall power is a terrible idea in every video game ever. Progression should be based on skills and perks only. That way it's still skill based, because you have to master the use of such skills and perks. Like that one game that did it better than any other game in history. What was it again? I mention it so much I should remember the name…

Flaw Explained

by Earendil, Monday, October 03, 2016, 16:28 (2783 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The flaw is that to continue progressing after you finish the story missions, you need to do repetitive activities.
[...]
The issue is not speed, but what's actually left to do between the story missions and the raid being of low quality.

Okay, finding the available content boring is a legitimate complaint and also a personal one. Which is not to invalidate the complaint. I just assumed from some of the talk, that there was an RNG or other design decision that could eventually be "fixed". At least from your perspective it doesn't look like there is, unless they release an update with additional content that you find fun.

For my part, I've enjoyed the content I've done done in order to level up, my only wish is that I didn't feel like I needed to do as much in a single sitting to be raid ready on the scheduled date. I've only tried the new arena once, but have enjoyed the strikes I've done... well, except for when I was dealt the same two cabal strikes 6 out of 7 runs.

P.S. My last 3 faction packages have given me items lower than my current light level.

Interesting. What light level are you at? I'm at 368 right now and received a few things at 371.

What I (and many) have a problem with is the RNG aspect where two people put in the same time and have vastly different power. But are we really at vastly different power? I'd wager (with no data) that our skill difference as individuals is significantly greater than the 5 light level difference that RNG has dealt us.

An astute observation. If skill matters most, why have light level at all? Get rid of it if it doesn't actually matter. A number indicating you overall power is a terrible idea in every video game ever. Progression should be based on skills and perks only.

I think I was unclear. The progression from start to finish is significant, and the power difference between a person that put in 5 hours vs 50 hours is significant. My point was that two people that both put in 20 hours are going to have a narrow gap of statistical power difference, because the game delivers progression rather uniformly. RPGs ALWAYS have a power level in a circumstance. The only question is how much a system decides to break down that level into sub levels. At the end of the day though you are likely to still be comparing only two numbers to determine the outcome, wether that's "Strength", "Height", or "Light".

Flaw Explained

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 03, 2016, 16:56 (2783 days ago) @ Earendil

I just assumed from some of the talk, that there was an RNG or other design decision that could eventually be "fixed". At least from your perspective it doesn't look like there is, unless they release an update with additional content that you find fun.

It could very easily be fixed. Make enough missions, strikes, quests, etc., that give guaranteed rewards that culminate to you having a sufficient light level to run the raid. I just don't understand how this isn't just common sense for the folks designing these expansions.

For my part, I've enjoyed the content I've done done in order to level up, my only wish is that I didn't feel like I needed to do as much in a single sitting to be raid ready on the scheduled date. I've only tried the new arena once, but have enjoyed the strikes I've done... well, except for when I was dealt the same two cabal strikes 6 out of 7 runs.

I can't speak for him, obviously, but I'd be willing to bet that Cody enjoyed the content, too . . . once. But not replaying it multiple times. It'd be like them making you run The Library fifteen times in a row in order to unlock Assault on the Control Room. That's exactly what they're doing now to let people play the raid. And what's the benefit? It's not like running strikes over and over is teaching you any key intricacy of the game you'll need for the raid. It's just gating progress to gate progress.

Flaw Explained

by Earendil, Monday, October 03, 2016, 17:22 (2783 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I just assumed from some of the talk, that there was an RNG or other design decision that could eventually be "fixed". At least from your perspective it doesn't look like there is, unless they release an update with additional content that you find fun.

It could very easily be fixed. Make enough missions, strikes, quests, etc., that give guaranteed rewards that culminate to you having a sufficient light level to run the raid. I just don't understand how this isn't just common sense for the folks designing these expansions.

What percentage of the Destiny population should be able to do the raid after doing those missions? Because after playing all the easy to find content (no use of the internet on my part) I was at 360. I made a point of playing strikes (which I found fun) to gain as much as I could, which got me to 365. I'm not so sure I couldn't have, personally, done the raid at 360. So for be I'd bet it was doable after only the provided content (and I haven't found/acheived all content). So the question is, what percentage of the Destiny population should be able to, without much difficulty, run the raid after the story missions. 90%? 50%? 10%?

I feel pretty confident that if the content had dropped my raid group at 380 prior to the raid that we wouldn't have felt the joy we did upon completion...we'd be better rested today...our bosses would be happier...but if it was a walk in the park would we feel good about it?

It seems to me that the optimum goal would be for people to attempt the raid and complete the raid at the edge of their ability to do so. For my fire team we finished the raid under the recommended light, but not by much. For us, that felt hard and good. In fact we talked about how in a couple months when we're all 380 that this would be easy. Instead it came down to the wire each time, everything had to be perfect each time, and there was always doubt, even at the last second before we beat it. After beating it I log into the forums here and find that teams beat it with an average light level below ours, and I'm amazed. That amazement wouldn't exist if everyone came out of the stories at 380 light. So, where do you draw the line? Do you draw the line just on the other side of your own personal preference and ability?

I can't speak for him, obviously, but I'd be willing to bet that Cody enjoyed the content, too . . . once. But not replaying it multiple times. It'd be like them making you run The Library fifteen times in a row in order to unlock Assault on the Control Room. That's exactly what they're doing now to let people play the raid. And what's the benefit? It's not like running strikes over and over is teaching you any key intricacy of the game you'll need for the raid. It's just gating progress to gate progress.

Okay, but no one is making you replay the exact same content over and over any more than is natural for Destiny. At the end of the day, if you want to play Destiny for more than 20 hours you WILL be repeating content. For most of us, that is still fun! The entire design of the game is to make that fun. If you don't find repeating a strike or a mission fun, than yeah, Destiny is going to be really hard to swallow. But I'd also argue that doing the content repeatedly isn't REQUIRED for all Destiny players, only for a majority that aren't good enough to run the raid at 360 light.

Actually, I was quite surprised that all content but raid content was easy to do after 15 hours of play. Even the Nightfall wasn't bad at 355. When I tried it day one at 345 it was demoralizing though ;-)

Flaw Explained

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 03, 2016, 17:50 (2783 days ago) @ Earendil

What percentage of the Destiny population should be able to do the raid after doing those missions?

100%. Every single activity should have an 'easy' version available. Nightfall should have a difficulty selector. So should the raid. For trials you have the elimination playlist already. That's the point of an easy mode after all.

Okay, but no one is making you replay the exact same content over and over any more than is natural for Destiny. At the end of the day, if you want to play Destiny for more than 20 hours you WILL be repeating content. For most of us, that is still fun! The entire design of the game is to make that fun.

The raids can be enjoyable to repeat because the activity is more involved and demanding in the first place and it can be a new experience if you take on a different role. It also allows for mastery, such that you and your team have the opportunity to improve and get better. I blew through the story missions with no resistance at all. There is no need to improve or go back or try different things.

Flaw Explained

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, October 03, 2016, 17:56 (2783 days ago) @ Earendil

What percentage of the Destiny population should be able to do the raid after doing those missions? Because after playing all the easy to find content (no use of the internet on my part) I was at 360. I made a point of playing strikes (which I found fun) to gain as much as I could, which got me to 365. I'm not so sure I couldn't have, personally, done the raid at 360. So for be I'd bet it was doable after only the provided content (and I haven't found/acheived all content). So the question is, what percentage of the Destiny population should be able to, without much difficulty, run the raid after the story missions. 90%? 50%? 10%?

I obviously have no idea what the typical experience is, but I'd wager a guess that finding yourself at 360 by the end of the RoI is on the high side of the curve. I was only at 345 myself... Most of the people I've talked to were between 340-350; not an ideal level to run the raid.

Of course, some people (Korny) will jump in at this point and say "you can totally play the raid at 350". Yes, the raid is technically doable, if your team is excellent, at 350. Personally, I don't enjoy trying to figure out a raid while second guessing myself the whole way through. "Are we doing something wrong, or are we not leveled high enough?" is a question that should never pop up during an raid, IMO. But that's a separate tangent.

Flaw Explained

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 03, 2016, 22:33 (2783 days ago) @ Earendil

What percentage of the Destiny population should be able to do the raid after doing those missions?

100%.

Because after playing all the easy to find content (no use of the internet on my part) I was at 360. I made a point of playing strikes (which I found fun) to gain as much as I could, which got me to 365. I'm not so sure I couldn't have, personally, done the raid at 360.

That's the entire crux of the issue. Those missions should give guaranteed rewards to get you to the proper light level. You should finish the last bit of content without repeating anything at whatever level is necessary for the raid. It's not like they can't make that happen--they're just intent on making people grind out light levels for whatever asinine reason they have in their heads.

I feel pretty confident that if the content had dropped my raid group at 380 prior to the raid that we wouldn't have felt the joy we did upon completion...we'd be better rested today...our bosses would be happier...but if it was a walk in the park would we feel good about it?

Again, that's sort of the point. The raid (and the game, in general) would be better if was just tuned at a set difficulty level and the entire stupid Light level system was gone altogether. It adds nothing to the game except whatever joy players get out of watching bars fill up. If the raid is tuned to be LL 380, you should effectively be at 380 for the entire game. Leveling up and grinding gear adds nothing but the requirement to grind and chase that number. What's the actual point?

Okay, but no one is making you replay the exact same content over and over any more than is natural for Destiny.

Okay? They're still forcing you to replay content. It's bad design. Or at least unfriendly design. So now, you can choose between The Library, Truth & Reconciliation, and The Pillar of Autumn. But it's just those three levels put in a hopper over and over and over again. And you just have to do that for some random amount of time until you can move on. Would that be acceptable? Because that's what Destiny is doing.

At the end of the day, if you want to play Destiny for more than 20 hours you WILL be repeating content.

And? Why should I have to play the game for 20 hours before Bungie deems it acceptable for me to play the Raid? Maybe I only want to play the game for 10 hours, or however long it would take to do everything in the game exactly one time. But I can't, because Bungie decided that I need to repeat things over and over and over for hours and hours and hours before I can do the final thing the game has to offer. How is that acceptable? Cody specifically has stated that the raids are pretty much the sole reason he plays Destiny. He should have to play 15 hours of shit he doesn't want to before Bungie decides it's okay for him to do the only activity he really wants to do? The idea that you have to "earn" the ability to raid is asinine, in my opinion.

For most of us, that is still fun! The entire design of the game is to make that fun. If you don't find repeating a strike or a mission fun, than yeah, Destiny is going to be really hard to swallow.

Again, that's sort of the entire issue. Halo CE was a blast, and I've played every level in that game over 20 times, easily (and that's a hugely conservative estimate--Halo was the only Xbox game I had for over six months when I first got my Xbox). But it would have sucked if I would have been forced to do that in order to unlock the ability to do the Maw Run and finish the game.

Flaw Explained

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 03, 2016, 23:10 (2783 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Cody specifically has stated that the raids are pretty much the sole reason he plays Destiny. He should have to play 15 hours of shit he doesn't want to before Bungie decides it's okay for him to do the only activity he really wants to do? The idea that you have to "earn" the ability to raid is asinine, in my opinion.

For the record, I like Trials of Osiris, and regular Crucible.

I used to do nightfalls 3x a week, but that was only to get Hawkmoon. I run them much more rarely now.

Raid, Trials, and Crucible are great. But two of those three you need to 'earn'.

"Flaw" Explained

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, October 03, 2016, 17:05 (2783 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The flaw is that to continue progressing after you finish the story missions, you need to do repetitive activities. It does not matter if you are leveling up quickly, or slowly. You are going to be replaying the same things over and over. Be that the strike playlist, Archon's Forge, or whatever else. Both of which Korny used, and he allegedly leveled quickly.

If we lived in a perfect world where a small country was developing Destiny, we'd have enough content to where you'd never have to replay anything ever to level up. But since we live in the real world, we have to meter our content out between releases.

The game does not give you anything fun to do while you progress.

That's subjective. I have fun playing Crucible, Archon's Forge, Heroic strikes (as long at it's not SABRE), Challenge of the Elders boss burns, and doing Patrol. The issue is if you grind and grind the same thing simply because you want to level up (which is made even worse when you do dumb things, like deleting the tons of Blue engrams that the game pours at you).

Doing things simply to level up has the effect of making everything feel like a chore, regardless of what it is (it just becomes an obstacle between you and the level cap) and it's even worse when you don't mix it up simply because you're optimizing things. You didn't have to grind to your light level in order to do the raid as soon as possible, you chose to, and all of your excuses proved false.

So regardless the speed, you are stuck playing boring, mind numbing, repetitive shit. Contrast this with Taken King which had a mini storyline to tackle after you complete the regicide mission. New locations. The story progresses. A cool few boss fights even. So you could have fun while you progress.

There were a handful of quests after the main storyline that sent you out to different areas and helped you level up (Bad Blood, Khvostov and Gjallarhorn missions, Sepiks perfected). If you ignored these by hopping right into the SIVA Heroic playlist, then you have only yourself to blame (and you missed out on some 350 Light gear and a Skeleton key).

That's unpossible. They may have been lower light than the piece that you had equipped, but not your overall Light Level. Don't tweak the facts to fit your narrative.

If skill matters most, why have light level at all? Get rid of it if it doesn't actually matter.

Because it's an incentive. It's a reward for time, if a few points make a difference to you. It can also be a help if you're a less-skilled player. If someone is a middle-skill player (such as you, Cody), but they put in way more time than a higher-skill player (such as me), then they've earned themselves a slight advantage (I may be a slightly unfair example, since RNG seems to favor me for whatever reason).

If someone is both higher skilled, and has put in a lot of time, then they are at the top of the mountain, and pretty much deserve to crush those around them, but that pool of people is very small.

For the most part, though, that number doesn't matter, and you shouldn't pay attention to it. It only comes into play for a small handful of activities, and acts as a soft barrier to entry (you wouldn't want most of your Raid team to consist of the level 8 people who just bought the full game, would you?), so if you see someone at or above the recommended Light, you can assume that their skill is such that they're ready to do something like the raid, or Trials, or Nightfall.

A number indicating you overall power is a terrible idea in every video game ever. Progression should be based on skills and perks only. That way it's still skill based, because you have to master the use of such skills and perks.

You should play Bloodborne. Leveling in the game mostly feels optional, but it helps you optimize your playstyle. Inversely, you can even create an extremely weak and frail character if you believe in your skill. Great game.

"Flaw" Explained

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 03, 2016, 17:39 (2783 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, October 03, 2016, 17:58

If we lived in a perfect world where a small country was developing Destiny, we'd have enough content to where you'd never have to replay anything ever to level up. But since we live in the real world, we have to meter our content out between releases.

Bungie did it in Taken King. It's not impossible. You are acting like I am asking for the moon.

That's subjective. I have fun playing Crucible, Archon's Forge, Heroic strikes (as long at it's not SABRE), Challenge of the Elders boss burns, and doing Patrol. The issue is if you grind and grind the same thing simply because you want to level up (which is made even worse when you do dumb things, like deleting the tons of Blue engrams that the game pours at you).

First of all, I do not actually enjoy most of the things on your list. I just don't. Second of all, I am not even sure how much those blue engrams would help me, given the frequency with which they give out coins and legendaries. Coins do not even help: the items you buy from Xur are 350. Too low to use to level up. You gain very little faction rep for material feeding, and converting strange coins to motes of light is a terrible way to increase faction rep, as is buying heavy ammo synth. The crucible does it faster, with much more fun.

Doing things simply to level up has the effect of making everything feel like a chore, regardless of what it is (it just becomes an obstacle between you and the level cap) and it's even worse when you don't mix it up simply because you're optimizing things. You didn't have to grind to your light level in order to do the raid as soon as possible, you chose to, and all of your excuses proved false.

It's not going to feel like anything other than a chore when it needs to be done, and doing it requires playing parts of the game I don't like. That's what you don't seem to understand. Mixing it up won't help. Every way of leveling up sucks. So yes, I'm going to optimize the shit out of it to get through it as soon as possible so I can get to the good stuff. There are no roses to stop and smell. That portion of the game is rotten.

There were a handful of quests after the main storyline that sent you out to different areas and helped you level up (Bad Blood, Khvostov and Gjallarhorn missions, Sepiks perfected). If you ignored these by hopping right into the SIVA Heroic playlist, then you have only yourself to blame (and you missed out on some 350 Light gear and a Skeleton key).

I did all of those right away, before the strike playlist. I ended up at 339. And yes at this point I was still decoding blues.

That's unpossible. They may have been lower light than the piece that you had equipped, but not your overall Light Level. Don't tweak the facts to fit your narrative.

It's not impossible. It happened. Three times.

If skill matters most, why have light level at all? Get rid of it if it doesn't actually matter.

Because it's an incentive. It's a reward for time, if a few points make a difference to you. It can also be a help if you're a less-skilled player. If someone is a middle-skill player (such as you, Cody), but they put in way more time than a higher-skill player (such as me), then they've earned themselves a slight advantage (I may be a slightly unfair example, since RNG seems to favor me for whatever reason).

I do not want an advantage just because I put in time. I want an advantage because I have improved my skill, learned, and discovered things about the game.

If someone is both higher skilled, and has put in a lot of time, then they are at the top of the mountain, and pretty much deserve to crush those around them, but that pool of people is very small.

Getting more powerful by simply putting in time is the worst most awful thing a game can do. Getting better because you push yourself and improve is great, and often takes time. But a simple time = power system is horrible.

Strange Coins are Awesome and Will Help You Cody

by Kahzgul, Monday, October 03, 2016, 17:49 (2783 days ago) @ Cody Miller

When you buy from Xur with strange coins, you buy 3 of Coins, not any of the 350 LL stuff he sells (unless you really need that item).

Then you use 3oC every time you do anything, and you get a bunch of exotic engram drops. Those decrypt up to the max light level, and are your primary source of infusion fodder once you hit 365.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 03, 2016, 17:55 (2783 days ago) @ Kahzgul

When you buy from Xur with strange coins, you buy 3 of Coins, not any of the 350 LL stuff he sells (unless you really need that item).

Then you use 3oC every time you do anything, and you get a bunch of exotic engram drops. Those decrypt up to the max light level, and are your primary source of infusion fodder once you hit 365.

I suppose that is true. I would not say a bunch though. My experience has been about one every 7 coins or so.

I do think that the system of having to buy coins in the first place is bad though. Why not just have the 3 of coins drop rate be the norm? It adds nothing but tedium to the experience by having to manage and buy them. And it clearly doesn't break the game, because dedicated players always have 3 of coins anyway so they are perpetually earning exotics at the accelerated rate.

by Kahzgul, Monday, October 03, 2016, 22:41 (2783 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I suppose that is true. I would not say a bunch though. My experience has been about one every 7 coins or so.

I do think that the system of having to buy coins in the first place is bad though. Why not just have the 3 of coins drop rate be the norm? It adds nothing but tedium to the experience by having to manage and buy them. And it clearly doesn't break the game, because dedicated players always have 3 of coins anyway so they are perpetually earning exotics at the accelerated rate.

You're 100% correct here, and I think the only reason is to artificially extend the life of the game.

MMO 101

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 07:31 (2782 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Well, yeah.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 14:33 (2782 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

The missing ingredient

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 18:01 (2782 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You enjoy so little of it, Cody, that I'm beginning to think that Destiny is not the game for you. Too often I see people who can’t decide that and move on. If someone doesn’t like, say, Destiny or Halo 5 or whatever, that thing must be dismissed or labeled as broken over and over and those who like it ridiculed and shamed.

In the case of Destiny, though, let’s think about what it is. It is primarily a social game. It is designed to be played with others, preferably friends. I’m not criticizing Destiny or the wonderful people on this forum, when I say that I think the people who have the most ideal experience of Destiny are those who have friends who play--friends who have a similar schedule and skill level, friends whose company they enjoy, in real life and while playing the game. Actual friends, in other words. Friends who would be friends with or without Destiny. (I don’t quite feel like one of those people, BTW. I feel like I have friends here, but whether it’s schedules or skill levels or what have you, I feel like I have to struggle to find five people who have the patience to wait for me in order to carry me through a raid unspoiled.)

Let’s call these people who play with their friends Destiny’s core fans. The core fans played the same activities in Halo 2 and Halo 3 almost nightly because they had fun doing it, especially with friends. Some of the core fans care about the same things you care about--improving, mastering the game, and so on, but that’s not their focus. Many of the core fans hit a plateau of mastery long ago, and don’t care that they did. They just plain enjoy playing Destiny for the fun of it. A big part of that is it’s a hobby that they can enjoy with friends. And unlike Halo games, Destiny has something new—a progression system. Love it or hate it, drops provide a metagame that some of us gearheads enjoy for what it is, which is gravy on top of the fun we already having (because we’re playing with friends, remember?).

You described the boring activities, but you know what I know? When I get bored I stop doing what I’m doing, and even with the pressure to level up, I’ve yet to be bored playing The Rise of Iron. There’s always a new weapon or strategy I’m trying out. And then there’s the missing ingredient: when I’m playing with friends, I don’t really care if we get the same strike again. It’s a chance to do it better, and push comes to shove, I enjoy the time regardless.

Don’t you and your friends have a favorite bar you like to go, not because it’s new and different, but because it’s familiar? Or are you the guy who everyone has to accommodate because you’ve already had all the beers they offer on tap, and you want to go to the new place across town. I mean, that’s fine, but you might not have the social experience in the other bar, and that may be fine with you, too. Really, though, if your friends stay at the familiar bar, is there really much to gain by trashing their choice?

The missing ingredient

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 18:14 (2782 days ago) @ Kermit

I don't trash anyone who plays Halo 5 or who likes Halo 5. Do you see me constantly complaining on HBO about it? No. The reason is that in my opinion, Halo 5 has no redeeming value as a video game. I was not impressed by ANY of it. Thus there isn't really anything positive to focus on in terms of possible improvement.

For Destiny, there's some great stuff there. Calls for improvement or criticism could one day lead to a seriously awesome overall experience. If one day Destiny's highs aren't worth grinding through the bad, then yeah. It'll be like Halo 5 and I'll just move on. But that hasn't happened yet.

The missing ingredient

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 18:43 (2782 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't trash anyone who plays Halo 5 or who likes Halo 5. Do you see me constantly complaining on HBO about it? No. The reason is that in my opinion, Halo 5 has no redeeming value as a video game. I was not impressed by ANY of it. Thus there isn't really anything positive to focus on in terms of possible improvement.

For Destiny, there's some great stuff there. Calls for improvement or criticism could one day lead to a seriously awesome overall experience. If one day Destiny's highs aren't worth grinding through the bad, then yeah. It'll be like Halo 5 and I'll just move on. But that hasn't happened yet.

Forget Halo 5. In a nutshell I said playing with friends is a crucial part of what makes Destiny fun. I don't think you treat it like what it is: a social game. It's all about your very analytical, Cody-centered view of it. Destiny wasn't designed to fit your criteria of what's fun for you and you alone, and I don't think it should be.

The missing ingredient

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 19:07 (2782 days ago) @ Kermit

Forget Halo 5. In a nutshell I said playing with friends is a crucial part of what makes Destiny fun. I don't think you treat it like what it is: a social game. It's all about your very analytical, Cody-centered view of it. Destiny wasn't designed to fit your criteria of what's fun for you and you alone, and I don't think it should be.

Destiny is absolutely a social game. I can tell you right now that I would not be still playing it if it were not for this website and the people who play with me here. It's a huge aspect of what makes Destiny 'fun'. I have a friend who tried Destiny, and not having access to a community or friends who also play it, found the game to be really lacking. He quit and never played again.

Both he and I are right. That's the weird duality to this game.

The missing ingredient

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 19:09 (2782 days ago) @ Kermit

Actually, I think most of why Cody doesn't like Destiny is that the content he doesn't like is gating him from the content he does like. If it was flipped the other way it would be fine for him. He would just play the first part without playing the second part. However, because it's not, the stuff he has to go through is bitterness in his mouth. Thus, I can see why he tries to burn through it.

[Edit] This is just speculation, correct me if I'm wrong.

The missing ingredient

by squidnh3, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 19:18 (2782 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I think you are mostly correct, but the annoying part about Cody (and quite a few others on this forum) is that he refuses to acknowledge how positive the way Destiny works is for so many players other than himself.

The missing ingredient

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 22:36 (2782 days ago) @ squidnh3

I think you are mostly correct, but the annoying part about Cody (and quite a few others on this forum) is that he refuses to acknowledge how positive the way Destiny works is for so many players other than himself.

I have yet to see a good argument for how the way Destiny works is positive. Sure, people like watching bars fill up and numbers get bigger. I do too! That doesn't make gating the raid behind hours of grinding to actually make that number get bigger and better. The game suffers for it and gains basically nothing because of it. It's a simple solution to just create a path of content that will level you straight into the raid (and ideally set the raid up from a story and gameplay perspective). That's the entire argument--repeating strikes, Nightfalls, Heroics, bounties, etc. over and over is fine if you have a good group of friends and just enjoying doing it. Forcing that repetition is bad, and I don't really see a good argument that holds up saying it's good.

That's what I don't feel like many here understand. No one is saying you shouldn't be able to jump into Destiny and have a good, relaxed time shooting aliens with your friends. But why should you be gated from other fun content if you don't want to do that?

The missing ingredient

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 19:23 (2782 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Actually, I think most of why Cody doesn't like Destiny is that the content he doesn't like is gating him from the content he does like. If it was flipped the other way it would be fine for him. He would just play the first part without playing the second part. However, because it's not, the stuff he has to go through is bitterness in his mouth. Thus, I can see why he tries to burn through it.

I guess my point is playing the same content again doesn't bother the players who treat it like a social activity. It's akin to playing a pick-up game with friends--it's still fun even though the rules of basketball don't change. I've rarely heard Cody acknowledge the social aspect of the game--it's all about whether his criteria for game design is being met. I think he has unrealistic expectations regarding variety of content, but I just haven't gotten the sense he plays with others very much (or if he does, I'd think that his blue engram blunder would've come to light earlier).

The missing ingredient

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 20:10 (2782 days ago) @ Kermit

I guess my point is playing the same content again doesn't bother the players who treat it like a social activity. It's akin to playing a pick-up game with friends--it's still fun even though the rules of basketball don't change. I've rarely heard Cody acknowledge the social aspect of the game--it's all about whether his criteria for game design is being met. I think he has unrealistic expectations regarding variety of content, but I just haven't gotten the sense he plays with others very much (or if he does, I'd think that his blue engram blunder would've come to light earlier).

I much prefer playing Dungeons and Dragons with my friends over Destiny. It is real in person interaction, and as a bonus everything we do is new. No repeated quests or stories. Destiny has a large social component that is indeed good, but it's not nearly as good as actual social games.

The missing ingredient

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 20:48 (2782 days ago) @ Kermit

My problem with the "it's a social game" side of this argument is that it sort of implies that the game itself doesn't need to be any good, because it will automatically be fun because your friends are involved. I think there is a certain amount of truth to that (friends make just about everything better), but that doesn't mean the activity itself doesn't need to be inherently great, especially when the activity is supposed to be replayed over and over again. To use your comparison to basketball; if anything in Destiny was 1/10th as replayable as the game of basketball, many of Cody's complaints wouldn't exist. Games like basketball, soccer, football, etc have been tweaked and iterated upon for decades. Very few of the activities in Destiny (or any videogame) have even a fraction of the thought and time put into their design as those sports do.

My other problem with the "Destiny is a social game" argument is that sometimes it is absolutely NOT a social game. The act of playing through the story missions and quest lines with friends is actually a total pain, unless you and your friends happen to be exactly in step with each other's progress. There's so much time spent running around the social spaces, speaking to vendors, go off and do 1 mission, back to the vendors, etc... It's really not conducive to group play until you get PASSED all that stuff. I think Destiny is a spectacular social game 3-4 months after each release, once everyone is done with their own person levelling up and you and your friends can all just group up together and do whatever activities you're in the mood for without worrying about light levels or gear checks or any of that stuff. I believe a large portion of Cody's complaints, and I happen to agree on this point, stem from the fact that Bungie puts dozens (yes Korny, dozens ;p) of hours of playtime in between the launch of an expansion and that point months later when everyone can freely play whatever they want together, and those dozens of hours are spent replaying content that simply isn't good enough to hold up under such repetition. Of course, that last point is totally subjective. But I don't think there is anything wrong with voicing one's opinion either way.

The missing ingredient

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 21:23 (2782 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Destiny does have a mode as repeatable as basketball: the crucible.

The missing ingredient

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 22:00 (2782 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Destiny does have a mode as repeatable as basketball: the crucible.

I'd say the Crucible has a long way to go before it is on par with any successful sport ;)

"Flaw" Explained

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, October 03, 2016, 18:14 (2783 days ago) @ Korny

It also has the bonus feature that korny isn't very good at it ;)

"Those dang wolves"

Skill is one thing...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, October 03, 2016, 19:30 (2783 days ago) @ Revenant1988

It also has the bonus feature that korny isn't very good at it ;)

"Those dang wolves"

But there's no way that the dang AI could follow me that far out...

"Flaw" Explained

by EffortlessFury @, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 00:27 (2783 days ago) @ Korny

While I've had great luck with this, I literally just decoded a crap ton of blues while at 328 light. Every item was either 328 or 329, and all the 329's were below the item's level (those all being 330). One of the blues become a 333 legendary in the one slot I have my highest level exotic...so it really doesn't help all that much at the moment.

"Flaw" Explained

by Avateur @, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 03:26 (2783 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Do you decode one at a time? For example, I started Rise of Iron at 334. For every blue engram I got, I would just decrypt one. Say it decrypted into a chest piece. If the light level happened to be higher than my current chest piece, I'd infuse it. Then I would go back and decrypt the next one and repeat the process.

Sure, every now and then they'll decrypt below the light level or even with the light level of your current item, but by not decrypting them in batches, you maximize your chance of higher light overall. Well, until 340 anyway.

"Flaw" Explained

by EffortlessFury @, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 04:53 (2783 days ago) @ Avateur

Do you decode one at a time? For example, I started Rise of Iron at 334. For every blue engram I got, I would just decrypt one. Say it decrypted into a chest piece. If the light level happened to be higher than my current chest piece, I'd infuse it. Then I would go back and decrypt the next one and repeat the process.

Sure, every now and then they'll decrypt below the light level or even with the light level of your current item, but by not decrypting them in batches, you maximize your chance of higher light overall. Well, until 340 anyway.

Oh yeah, after every decrypt I would swap out if the new item was better than the old. I literally had a string of like, 8 decrypts where the blue was either the same level as my character or one above, except the gear I had equipped in those slots was two above my character. Therefore it was all useless :(

But I'm ok now. Some better decrypts tonight and a new Ghost shell from the Vanguard later and I'm 340 now. Not too bad for only a few days of semi-casual play.

There is an RNG bottleneck for Ghosts and Relics

by Kahzgul, Monday, October 03, 2016, 17:42 (2783 days ago) @ Earendil

The flaw is that you can't really farm ghosts and relics.

For ghosts:

366+ LL ghosts only come from the raid and faction reward packages, and it's totally random as to whether one will drop or not. I've seen speculation that they could be more likely to drop from "Armor" packages, but not evidence to back that up. Presumably ghosts will also drop from Iron Banner as they have in the past, but with the many changes to IB this time around, we do not know that for certain.

351-365 LL ghost upgrades can also be had from heroic strikes blue drops.

350 LL ghosts can be purchased from vendors. Everyone should easily be able to get 350 LL for this slot.

For relics:

366+ LL relics only come from the raid, as a random drop after Trials matches (or from gold tier trials bounty), or Eris Mourne rep packages.

351-365 LL relics can also be had randomly when decrypting a legendary engram. There is no way to predict this and the event is rare. They may also be heroic strike drop blues that are of this light level, I'm not sure.

350 LL relics can be purchased from IB vendors upon completion of a quest, one per week per character.

Because there are no exotics in either slot that you can decrypt to use as infusion fodder, players with a specific need are stuck either farming Eris Mourne rep for relics, which is dumb, since that's SO last xpac, or just generally farming faction rep, which basically is the same as saying there isn't a way to specifically farm for a ghost so GL.

How I got past this

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 13:33 (2782 days ago) @ Kahzgul

For my Ghost I've had 3 drop at 377 from faction packages. I just had one drop last night from a trials gold tier package that was a 384 shell. RNG luck, but that's where my ghosts have come from.

For my artifact. I had a 386 artifact come from a skeleton key chest on the heroric strikes. Before that, I was stuck at 374 for my artifact which had drop from a previous skeleton key chest. Again, all RNG based

Yeah, it's not fun.

by ProbablyLast, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 13:57 (2782 days ago) @ unoudid

3 Eris rank up packages have rewarded me with zero artifacts and 30 or so heroic strikes have netted me 1 skeleton key.

Life so crazy.

Yeah, it's not fun.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 13:59 (2782 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

3 Eris rank up packages have netted me zero artifacts and 30 or so heroic strikes have netted me 1 skeleton key.

Life so crazy.

Yeah, RNG is a bitch. The first day of strikes I got no keys then I decided to do it a second day, within 5 strikes I got two keys back to back.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread