Time to 5 in iron banner (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 07, 2016, 04:20 (2780 days ago)

Given that Bungie changed the way buffs and stuff have been handled, how much time should I put aside to play if I'd like to get to rank 5?

Time to 5 in iron banner

by Mad_Stylus, Friday, October 07, 2016, 04:29 (2780 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I got to 4 in one day rolling with some buddies. Finished the next.

Exceptionally do-able in comparison to my last IB runs, where I had to dedicate enough time that, if I had a job or something, I wouldn't have been able to do one character.

Time to 5 in iron banner

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, October 07, 2016, 04:31 (2780 days ago) @ Mad_Stylus

I got to 4 in one day rolling with some buddies. Finished the next.

Exceptionally do-able in comparison to my last IB runs, where I had to dedicate enough time that, if I had a job or something, I wouldn't have been able to do one character.

Hit Rank 5 on the second night. You hit Rank 1 on your first game, rank 2 a couple after that. Once I completed al of the boy ríes, it only took me a few more games to hit 5. I haven't played on my other classes yet, but two evenings to hit 5 is nice.

Time to 5 in iron banner

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, October 07, 2016, 04:42 (2780 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Quest + bounties get you to rank 3.5, wins get you to 5. 6ish hours I'd guess. Bounty and quest rewards are worthwhile, or were for me for the light alone.

2 afternoons

by Durandal, Friday, October 07, 2016, 09:44 (2780 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I hit rank 5 the second day I played, probably about 5 hours total.

is there still a buff for leveling alts?

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, October 07, 2016, 11:48 (2779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 07, 2016, 12:22 (2779 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Answer is yes according to the IB players I was in a party with last night.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, October 07, 2016, 12:26 (2779 days ago) @ stabbim

How big? Can I got rank 5 by just completing the bounties on them?

by Kahzgul, Friday, October 07, 2016, 16:13 (2779 days ago) @ bluerunner

How big? Can I got rank 5 by just completing the bounties on them?

Apparently yes.

Poop.

by Funkmon @, Friday, October 07, 2016, 17:55 (2779 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Leveling Warlock tonight. Can maybe do Hunter if it is ezpz

by ProbablyLast, Friday, October 07, 2016, 18:17 (2779 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Why poop? This is a good thing.

by Kahzgul, Friday, October 07, 2016, 18:30 (2779 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

He's probably only been playing one character...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, October 07, 2016, 18:55 (2779 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I know I have, but that's because my Warlock has gone from 377 to 384 since Iron Banner dropped, so I'm not feeling pressured to run my Alts.

Yes and no.

by Funkmon @, Friday, October 07, 2016, 21:42 (2779 days ago) @ Korny

I do not like Iron Banner, generally. I like Supremacy. My plan was to do Iron Banner on one guy this weekend (I have played a single game so far). If the bounties can bring my other guys up to 5 in as few as seven games, then it makes sense for me to do so this weekend so I don't have to play it more than twice for the book, and it's a gametype I like.

If getting characters to rank five was more difficult, I would have a solid excuse to not do it. Unfortunately, it only makes sense to do my Hunter, Titan and the good one all at the same time, which is not a prospect to which I am looking forward.

It's like if someone gave you a cake.

"Thanks for this cake!" (Thanks for easy IB levelling!)
"Now if you eat three I'll give you $40." (Do it two more times for a bonus)
"I can't do that without being sick of cake." (I can't play Crucible for more than an hour without wishing for my own death)
"Tough shit. 3 for $40."
"All right, I guess I'll do it."

I'd take that deal

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, October 07, 2016, 22:08 (2779 days ago) @ Funkmon

And I don't even like cake.

Edit: Which now that I think about it, is kind of how I feel about Supremacy. Solid analogy.

Yes and no.

by Kahzgul, Friday, October 07, 2016, 22:55 (2779 days ago) @ Funkmon

Looks like it's time for me to pull out the old "Don't stab yourself in the dick" metaphor.

Imagine a video game where you get 9 points for banging the head cheerleader, OR 10 points for stabbing yourself in the dick.

This is the game you're playing right now. You know you can get 9 points by leveling one dude to rank 5 IB. But you're considering going for the full 10, even though you know - YOU KNOW - you're going to hate it.

Don't be a dickstabber. Enjoy yourself. Then go for a walk or make a sandwich or something.

Yes and no.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Saturday, October 08, 2016, 11:56 (2778 days ago) @ Kahzgul

He really needs to stab himself in the dick though. BadDong is his clan name. Stabbing is just one of many ways to get a bad dong

Yes and no.

by ProbablyLast, Saturday, October 08, 2016, 15:29 (2778 days ago) @ unoudid

That's a weird kink that I didn't know I had.

Poop.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 07, 2016, 20:50 (2779 days ago) @ Funkmon

This is a dumb thing to complain about.

You have to play a minimum of 10 games to complete all the bounties (and that's if you win every single one). More likely, you're looking at 15 or so.

So yeah... you can get to level 5 by completing all the bounties. If you play 15+ games. Which isn't so far from what you needed to do on your first character.

Poop.

by Kahzgul, Friday, October 07, 2016, 21:31 (2779 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Untrue. You get 5 points for every completed match, including wins. You get 10 more points if you win. So loss = 5 points, win = 15 points. It takes a minimum of 7 matches (all wins) to finish all four bounties.

Yep.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, October 07, 2016, 21:42 (2779 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Someone better at math can figure it out, but I think it takes nearly 20 consecutive wins to hit 5 without the buff. So 3x as long in perfect scenarios.

Wow, didn't know that.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 07, 2016, 21:57 (2779 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Untrue. You get 5 points for every completed match, including wins. You get 10 more points if you win. So loss = 5 points, win = 15 points. It takes a minimum of 7 matches (all wins) to finish all four bounties.

I thought it was 5/10, not 5/15. (Even so, winning 7 in a row is non-trivial.) Took me 11 on a second character yesterday.

Yeah, the 10 from wins are extra points over the 5

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, October 08, 2016, 00:44 (2779 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

It makes me want to play more. I am time limited.

by Funkmon @, Friday, October 07, 2016, 21:31 (2779 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Imagine someone said "Claude, you can go on an all expense paid trip to Disney World, just read this 40 page manifesto by Hillary Clinton."

You'd say "poop." Then you'd read it and subsequently ride Space Mountain, surely.

lol

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 07, 2016, 23:06 (2779 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Time to 5 in iron banner - 4 1/2 hours.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, October 07, 2016, 12:42 (2779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Given that Bungie changed the way buffs and stuff have been handled, how much time should I put aside to play if I'd like to get to rank 5?

I have played 4 hours, 22 minutes of Supremacy this week and I just hit rank 5 last night. You may or may not have better luck than I.

I feel pretty good about IB this week. The progression felt much better than previous weeks. Taking 4-5 hours to reach max rank seems decent, and it's enjoyable (if you like supremacy, which I do).

Clarification: that's 4 hours, 22 minutes of total match time, probably closer to 5 hours if you include matchmaking & a tower run.

4-5 hours, including the bounties

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, October 07, 2016, 13:22 (2779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Tough to say for sure though. Now that there are only 4 bounties for the entire week (they're enough to get you from rank 0 to 3.5 or so), winning games is more important than ever. You used to be able to rely on bounties to get you all the way to 5, but that's not the case anymore. So if you go on a good winning streak you'll progress far faster than someone who is struggling to win games.

Time to 5 in iron banner

by Kahzgul, Friday, October 07, 2016, 14:48 (2779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I did it in 3 nights of play, roughly 16 total wins.

Two+ full crucible rep boosters.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, October 07, 2016, 15:05 (2779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Probably about 5 hours total. Light level went from 373 to 380. Going to run it on an alt this weekend.

Note that I'm awful at the game so I probably didn't win as much as most people.

Nice change...

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 07, 2016, 15:58 (2779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You no longer need to head to the tower (well, Temple) between Ranks 3 and 5. In older Iron Banners, if you skipped the Tower run, you lost the Rank 3 package. Now, you can pick them all up together.

Yay for common sense changes, Bungie!

+1

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, October 07, 2016, 16:04 (2779 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I still do this out of habit/paranoia, but it's nice to know I'm not going to get hosed if I forget.

-Disciple

+1

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, October 07, 2016, 16:06 (2779 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I still do this out of habit/paranoia, but it's nice to know I'm not going to get hosed if I forget.

-Disciple

I do it too because it can actually help your future drops light level if you do it sooner, but at least it's not required!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread