Titan, Warlock, or Hunter? (Destiny)

by Avateur @, Tuesday, October 11, 2016, 21:58 (2761 days ago)

Many of you have multiple characters and have had an opportunity to play them each extensively. Which one is your go-to? Do you have a favorite, or do you just play whatever you feel will help in a particular situation or playlist? I prefer my Titan for any and all playlists and situations, and I primarily run it as a Striker.

Titan, Warlock, or Hunter?

by j41m3z @, Tuesday, October 11, 2016, 22:03 (2761 days ago) @ Avateur

Hunter Gunslinger. Nighstalker on certain occasions usually raids. And I rarely use Bladedancer.

Haven't touched my other characters in a while so they aren't anywhere near current light levels.

Warlock and... um.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, October 11, 2016, 22:09 (2761 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

Warlock

by petetheduck, Tuesday, October 11, 2016, 22:13 (2761 days ago) @ Avateur

Many of you have multiple characters and have had an opportunity to play them each extensively. Which one is your go-to? Do you have a favorite, or do you just play whatever you feel will help in a particular situation or playlist? I prefer my Titan for any and all playlists and situations, and I primarily run it as a Striker.

Warlock for ever

- best supers
- best jump
- best melee
- best exotics

If you need me I'll be over here, jumping off a cliff and then instantly stopping in the air just before impact before wiping out all the adds with my super all while wearing fabulous boots.

Yea... YEA! That!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, October 11, 2016, 22:14 (2761 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

Best jump?

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 01:09 (2760 days ago) @ petetheduck

Ha! Haha! Hahahahahahahaha

My thoughts exactly

by Avateur @, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 03:05 (2760 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

Different strokes...

by ObsidianKitteh @, san antonio, tx, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 11:51 (2760 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I can't stand Titan boosters or the damn hunter mid air hop. The warlocks glide is the most graceful and intuitive of the 3, unfortunately it's also the slowest. I think that's why others hate it. Funny though that people either think it is the best, or the worst, not somewhere in between.

Different strokes...

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 16:49 (2760 days ago) @ ObsidianKitteh

The double jump I would consider most standardly intuitive, and has the easiest recovery for most people. And the Titan has the most flexible w/ skating, height, and level of calculated control. Warlocks jump like Princess Peach. It's great for covering distance, if you don't need to do ot quickly.

Different strokes...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 17:34 (2760 days ago) @ ObsidianKitteh

I can't stand Titan boosters or the damn hunter mid air hop. The warlocks glide is the most graceful and intuitive of the 3, unfortunately it's also the slowest. I think that's why others hate it. Funny though that people either think it is the best, or the worst, not somewhere in between.

I find that non-Warlock folks who play only one class extensively tend to dislike the Warlock jump because of how it differs from their playstyle.
Most that I know who play all three classes seem to understand the finesse and freedom afforded by the glide (such as in this moment 55 seconds into the vid, where I use the glide to scope the enemy base before locating and dropping on an enemy).
Of all three, Warlock definitely has the best overall jump (and doesn't need manipulation tricks or special exotic boots to help it), but it's also the toughest to learn and take advantage of, so there's a definite learning curve compared to the other classes.
One thing that doesn't quite make sense is the idea that it's the "slowest" jump. If you used Focused Burst (as you should be), you cover ground faster than anything besides the Controlled jump Titans.

That said, I think the increased height for Hunters is vastly superior to Triple Jump, and I used to run Increased Height for Titans almost exclusively until I started having fun as a Controlled Jug Shotgun douche.

Different strokes...

by TheeChaos @, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 20:24 (2760 days ago) @ Korny

Of all three, Warlock definitely has the best overall jump (and doesn't need manipulation tricks or special exotic boots to help it), but it's also the toughest to learn and take advantage of, so there's a definite learning curve compared to the other classes.
One thing that doesn't quite make sense is the idea that it's the "slowest" jump. If you used Focused Burst (as you should be), you cover ground faster than anything besides the Controlled jump Titans.

Obviously the best jump is a matter of opinion. but its not warlocks..

+1

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 20:36 (2760 days ago) @ TheeChaos

- No text -

Different strokes...

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 20:31 (2760 days ago) @ Korny

I think the distaste for Warlock-jump for it being "slowest" is less about movement speed and more about the floaty nature of controlling it. To get the most out of focused burst you have to cancel your jump to maintain momentum. And when you are in the air the shallow arc you tend to get when activating it, and the drifting if you activate on a fall, make it feel lighter and less tactile than the other jumps.

Ahahahahahaha

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 20:35 (2760 days ago) @ Korny

No.

Also what? Increased Height Titan? Literally a crazy person.

Ahahahahahaha

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 21:29 (2760 days ago) @ someotherguy

Best jump for climbing. But not as flexible in combat.

Ahahahahahaha

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 21:34 (2760 days ago) @ Harmanimus

True, but most jumps are balanced for Warlocks and Hunters, so even a one-legged Titan can do them with his eyes closed.

Ahahahahahaha

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 22:16 (2760 days ago) @ someotherguy

This is totally true. It's why I rarely use the extra height anymore. Was what i used in Y1, but when I learned I could skate faster I basically only brought it out for a particular Tomb Ship.

Um, I have 3 warlocks

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, October 11, 2016, 22:56 (2761 days ago) @ Avateur

So....warlock I guess

Why?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, October 11, 2016, 23:28 (2760 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Genuine question. Why have three of the same? Unless ine is your Voidwalker, one is Sunsinger and one Stormcaller?

Why?

by Mariachi @, Kentucky, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 10:08 (2760 days ago) @ someotherguy

To get rewards multiple times while still only really having to keep up with one set of gear. Get three chances at Raid drops or nightfalls, etc. During year one, I only ran three hunters for this reason.

Ah, I get you

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 17:22 (2760 days ago) @ Mariachi

Man, my Inventory Bloat would be so much more manageable if I only had to hang onto armour for one class too.

this

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, October 14, 2016, 23:50 (2757 days ago) @ Mariachi

I originally had a warlock and a hunter. When crotas end dropped, i could never ever get the damn helmet. so i deleted my hunter and created 2 additional warlocks.

Now with the tower ghost app, i just create a loadout that i automatically load onto whatever warlock I'm playing. I keep telling myself that i'll go back and do a hunter and titan for the grimoire, but i haven't bothered yet.

Nightstalker

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, October 11, 2016, 23:32 (2760 days ago) @ Avateur

Love the mobility, the grenades, the smoke melees, tethering, being able to save myself from falling off a cliff... only downside is that absolutely abysmal recovery.

Titan because I love the jump.

by ProbablyLast, Tuesday, October 11, 2016, 23:51 (2760 days ago) @ Avateur

Voidwalker is a close second (or 4th, maybe). My Hunter only exists because I find Gunslinger fun to play around with in PvE every once in a while.

Titan

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 01:12 (2760 days ago) @ Avateur

I like to run around the map as quickly as possible, then slam my enemies into a wall. The Titan class just fits my play style the best.

Gunslinger

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 01:43 (2760 days ago) @ Avateur

With my Dream-eater Vest and Drifter's Cloak I can finally be a space cowboy. The look of the new IB weapons really adds to the look too.

I love hand cannons and they seem the most fitting with the gunslinger. Having Chain of Woe with hand cannon gloves gives all my hand cannons an outlaw reload. Plus I like throwing knives and trip mines.

Never change :)

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 01:51 (2760 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 02:01 (2760 days ago) @ Grizzlei

You know what this weekend is? It's when I go to my happy place.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 01:15 (2759 days ago) @ bluerunner

You know what this weekend is? It's when I go to my happy place.

I haven't shot as much as my hunting rifle in the past year. I'm pretty jealous right now.

Chain of Woe+Reload Gloves+Outlaw=Happy North

by Up North 65 @, Saturday, October 15, 2016, 00:32 (2757 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 02:16 (2760 days ago) @ Avateur

or do you just play whatever you feel will help in a particular situation or playlist?

This. Not only do I like all 3 classes, but I like all 9 subclasses, for different things.

All three

by Mariachi @, Kentucky, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 10:12 (2760 days ago) @ Avateur

I have different preferences for different activities, but I will change depending on what everyone I am playing with is running at the time.

Sunsinger all day every day.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 11:00 (2760 days ago) @ Avateur

1. Sunsinger
2. Gunslinger
3. Defender
4. Voidwalker
5. Solar Titan
The other ones.

Oh, good call on the ranking structure

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 13:09 (2760 days ago) @ Funkmon

Haven't played with the Hammerbro* yet, so I'm not ranking them.

1. Voidwalker
2. Nightstalker
3. Gunslinger
4. Stormcaller
5. Striker
6. Defender
7. Sunsinger
8. Bladedancer

*I refuse to call them by my favorite (since Y2) Sunsinger Exotic's name.

Oh, good call on the ranking structure

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 17:00 (2760 days ago) @ ZackDark

I just call them Breaker Titans. It fits the name scheme better, too. Though "Hammer Titan" is usually what my circle uses.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 12:37 (2760 days ago) @ Avateur

Granted, I haven't played ROI so I don't know if this is still valid, but Ruin Wing'd Defender forever.

Endless Tru7h rockets. Ward of Dawn. Punching. Orbs out the wazoo. *mic drop*

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 13:26 (2760 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

That setup will never not be valid. Replace Tru7h with Dragon's Breath and that's my Defender.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 13:30 (2760 days ago) @ stabbim

Oh jeeze! Totally forgot about Dragon's Breath. Bad Phisto.

Yes, that puppy comes out for CQB.

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 15:00 (2760 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Granted, I haven't played ROI so I don't know if this is still valid, but Ruin Wing'd Defender forever.

Endless Tru7h rockets. Ward of Dawn. Punching. Orbs out the wazoo. *mic drop*

This is the correct way to play PvE as a titan. I still use the g-horn (I just can't quit you).

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 17:08 (2760 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I never really got into that option as a PvE Titan. Even when running Ruin Wings. MG all day. Mostly Thunderlord. Feeding Frenzy + MG Loader means I barely ever stop firing.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 10:14 (2759 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Ruin Wings plus T-Lord was a great build as well; extremely fun on Omnigul.

I've heard good things of the Raid gloves

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 15:23 (2760 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Apparently, even Fallen slow-mo mines drop Heavies when you have it equipped.

I've heard good things of the Raid gloves

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 16:12 (2760 days ago) @ ZackDark

Apparently, even Fallen slow-mo mines drop Heavies when you have it equipped.

That's hilarious, and I hope it never gets patched.

by Avateur @, Friday, October 14, 2016, 04:20 (2758 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

You gonna play Rise of Iron at all? :O

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 17:16 (2760 days ago) @ Avateur

I main a Titan. Every problem can be solved by my fist.

Breaker for general play, as I am most flexible. Striker if I wanna go fast. Defender for orb generation.

And after that it's whatever suits the situation. I still haven't completed leveling Blade Dancer or Sunsinger on Xbox. But I hit rank 5 with both in Iron Banner. They don't fit as well for me, though. Even if everyone says Warlocks have best abilities and Hunters have the best Neutral game, I'll take my fist.

Hunter Jump Best Jump

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 18:50 (2760 days ago) @ Avateur

Frabjous.

+1 can confrim. Hop Hop Hop

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 18:54 (2760 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Hop Hop Hop Hop

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 19:26 (2760 days ago) @ unoudid

Someone isn't wearing Bones of Eao.

Someone's doing it wrong

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 19:31 (2760 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you're wearing Eao Jordans you really ought to be using Increased Control or Height. Either ridiculous mobility or maximum confusion.

Edit: Im actually a terrible Hunter. YMMV.

Someone's doing it wrong

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 21:25 (2760 days ago) @ someotherguy

If you're wearing Eao Jordans you really ought to be using Increased Control or Height. Either ridiculous mobility or maximum confusion.

Edit: Im actually a terrible Hunter. YMMV.

Increased control is the way to go, for sure. You move soooo much more quickly.

That being said, I've been wearing the Fr0st-EE5 lately. Pretty fun!

Frostee/Dunmarcher Protip *Raid Sp*

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 21:31 (2760 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Stick them on before you get to the Siege Engine. I'm not entirely sure why (they dont increase base speed afaik) but you move at a blistering pace while carrying the engine parts.

Well. Comparatively blistering

Frostee/Dunmarcher Protip *Raid Sp*

by Kahzgul, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 17:57 (2759 days ago) @ someotherguy

Stick them on before you get to the Siege Engine. I'm not entirely sure why (they dont increase base speed afaik) but you move at a blistering pace while carrying the engine parts.

Well. Comparatively blistering

Yeah, I noticed that. Maybe an interaction with the "faster turning while sprinting" feature?

Best except Titan, you mean

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 19:07 (2760 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

I wish you all weren't liars.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 22:52 (2760 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Hunter is distant fourth behind Warlock, Titan, and run forward while shooting a grenade.

Best jump is Gyllenhaal backflip.

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 23:20 (2759 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Hunter Jump Best Jump

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 00:06 (2759 days ago) @ Kahzgul

No. That thing always happens where you're walking toward a ledge, and when you go to jump your character happens to be JUST a little bit off the ground for a moment, due to having walked over a tiny crack or bump. So you end up jumping while you're in the air, causing you to immediately use up your double jump rather than just doing an initial jump from solid ground. This launches you, possibly off of the ledge. And if that happens to send you falling into a gap that you had planned to double-jump over, well that's just too bad, Guardian!

Every time this happens I curse the Hunter jump, and consequently it can never be my favorite.

Hunter Jump Best Jump

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 00:33 (2759 days ago) @ stabbim

No. That thing always happens where you're walking toward a ledge, and when you go to jump your character happens to be JUST a little bit off the ground for a moment, due to having walked over a tiny crack or bump. So you end up jumping while you're in the air, causing you to immediately use up your double jump rather than just doing an initial jump from solid ground. This launches you, possibly off of the ledge. And if that happens to send you falling into a gap that you had planned to double-jump over, well that's just too bad, Guardian!

Every time this happens I curse the Hunter jump, and consequently it can never be my favorite.

I know what you're talking about and have accidentally double jumped because of it, but it's never caused me to jump off a ledge to my death haha. I suppose it's something you get used to though, you can hear the sound when the double jump activates, so if you don't think you're already in the air you stop and wait to hit the ground first.

Downwards ramps are OP. Plz nerf, Bungle

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, October 13, 2016, 00:52 (2759 days ago) @ stabbim

Seriously, though, I hate that dome-like building in Firebase Delphi more than a Trials sniper elite team.

This is why you use Bones or Triple Jump

by Kahzgul, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 17:58 (2759 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 19:21 (2759 days ago) @ Kahzgul

No it's not, because I'm not interested in either of those. And the fact that an exotic or skill exists which can provide a workaround does NOT invalidate the fact that an annoying situation can occur because of the basic nature of the Hunter's jump.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 22:00 (2759 days ago) @ stabbim

No it's not, because I'm not interested in either of those. And the fact that an exotic or skill exists which can provide a workaround does NOT invalidate the fact that an annoying situation can occur because of the basic nature of the Hunter's jump.

You're saying you have a problem with the jump for which there is a solution but that you refuse to accept the solution?

Keep in mind, if you walk off an edge as a titan or warlock and activate your jump, you're just going to float slowly to your death instead of falling quickly to it. At least the hunter has a chance to get back on that ledge.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 22:08 (2759 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Most of the time a Titan can recover if they react quickly and don't have too much momentum, as Lift does just that.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 22:30 (2759 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Most of the time a Titan can recover if they react quickly and don't have too much momentum, as Lift does just that.

Titans > Warlocks, it seems. If only they didn't have such tiny T-Rex arms.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 23:55 (2758 days ago) @ Harmanimus

This is true, although you'd have to be REALLY quick.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 23:54 (2758 days ago) @ Kahzgul

You're saying you have a problem with the jump for which there is a solution but that you refuse to accept the solution?

No, I'm saying I don't prefer to use those items over the exotics and skills I DID choose. Sorry if my choice of playstyle offends you.

Keep in mind, if you walk off an edge as a titan or warlock and activate your jump, you're just going to float slowly to your death instead of falling quickly to it. At least the hunter has a chance to get back on that ledge.

Yes, that is also true, and I DO appreciate that ability. But if I walk off a ledge on my own, I just blame myself and move on. When I launch off a ledge because of a tiny imperfection in the ground surface which was unknown to me until it was too late, I don't as much.

+1

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 00:34 (2759 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Hunter Jump Best Jump

by Up North 65 @, Saturday, October 15, 2016, 00:39 (2757 days ago) @ Kahzgul

[image]

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 23:18 (2759 days ago) @ Avateur

You all are so superficial. I love my awoken warlock for his fierce silence. I love his wife, a human hunter, for her efffortless grace. I love their adopted daughter, a exo titan, for her eager teenage awkwardness.

Defender, Voidwalker, Gunslinger

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 08:09 (2759 days ago) @ Avateur

Defender because you can solo literally anything PvE, and upset Bladedancers/Stormcallers/Sunbreakers with your "NO!" grenades.

Voidwalker because holy crap Lifesteal Hunger Embrace builds are OP as hell. If I hit you with my grenade I can throw another one straight away?!

Gunslinger because fuck Bladedancers in their stupid electric face. Also as a Defender I know they're the best ranged anti-Defender measure (alongside Voidwalker), and throwing knives make me feel 1337.

TLDR: F*** Bladedancers

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 13:26 (2759 days ago) @ someotherguy

A sentiment I mostly agree with :)

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 14:10 (2759 days ago) @ Xenos

It's funny. I always hated bladedancer for PvP. I basically ran gunslinger only in PvP for 2 years. When I did play bladedancer it was because of the fun gimmick of being able to go invis.

Now that I'm playing supremacy more, I've switched to bladedancer with zero invis perks (quickdraw, encore, razor's edge) and I'm having a complete blast with it.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 14:29 (2759 days ago) @ unoudid

It's funny. I always hated bladedancer for PvP. I basically ran gunslinger only in PvP for 2 years. When I did play bladedancer it was because of the fun gimmick of being able to go invis.

Now that I'm playing supremacy more, I've switched to bladedancer with zero invis perks (quickdraw, encore, razor's edge) and I'm having a complete blast with it.

There are a lot of little reasons why I don't play bladedancer, but there is one big one: I miss my triple jump when I play bladedancer.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 14:37 (2759 days ago) @ Xenos

There are a lot of little reasons why I don't play bladedancer, but there is one big one: I miss my triple jump when I play

I like running blink for blade dancer and voidwalker in PvP unless I'm playing on vertigo... eff that jump from A/C to the B platform.

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Tuesday, October 18, 2016, 18:47 (2754 days ago) @ unoudid

I too have seen Bladedancers suddenly come out of the woodwork on Supremacy now.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread