Faction Class Items? (Destiny)

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, October 18, 2016, 22:54 (2717 days ago)

Do faction class items still give a boost to the factions?

There is no text or perk saying that they do, but in a past thread about strange coins > heavy synth > faction rep, people were talking as though they did.

So do they? Did this behavior change? Was there ever text supporting this?

I've got 756 heavy ammo synths and I want to make an informed & self-serving donation to Dead Orbit.

The exotic class item explicitly say they do, so I guess not

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, October 18, 2016, 23:08 (2717 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I have a Dead Orbit exotic Warlock bond, which has a node that explicitly states "increased Dead Orbit reputation gain". The lack of such a node would, I guess, indicate a class item does not increase it.

Faction Class Items?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, October 18, 2016, 23:25 (2717 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Only exotic ones do, legendary never did as far as I can remember, just gave you crucible rep boost.

Faction Class Items?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 02:55 (2717 days ago) @ Xenos

IIRC, there was a time where wearing a faction class item was how you GOT faction rep in the first place. And IIRC again, doing so totally redirected rep from the original thing it would have gone to. So if I was wearing a Dead Orbit Bond, all the rep that would normally go to Vanguard or Crucible or whatever went to Dead Orbit instead. Consequently, back then you could only (for example) rank up Vanguard OR Dead Orbit, not both at the same time. So it wasn't so much that class items BOOSTED faction rep, it was that they enabled you to get ANY in the first place (this does not take the exotic faction ones into account, which apparently did boost gains for that faction and were special in that regard).

That changed a LONG time ago, maybe with Taken King? It's been so long it's hard to remember specifically when. But what it changed to is the current system, where you pledge to a certain faction, and then whatever Vanguard or Crucible rep you gain, you ALSO gain some toward the pledged faction (without it taking away from the Vanguard/Crucible rep gains).

So yeah, currently they don't really do anything special other than look good (in some cases).

Ah yes, that's right. I'd completely forgotten about that

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 03:41 (2717 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

Ahhh, thanks

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 03:55 (2717 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by marmot 1333, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 04:05

OK, yeah--I forgot all about the exotic class item.

I had sharded mine, but luckily the class items are available in the exotic armor kiosk. Phew!

Thanks all!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread