Civ 6 Launch Trailer (Gaming)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 20:15 (2744 days ago)

Pish! I'll still visit Xur on launch day...

by Earendil, Thursday, October 20, 2016, 03:20 (2744 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

...right after this last turn...

Just. One. More. Turn.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, October 20, 2016, 10:09 (2744 days ago) @ Earendil

- No text -

Just. One. More. Turn.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, October 20, 2016, 10:54 (2744 days ago) @ ZackDark

Which, hilariously, is basically the message of the trailer.

Humanity's greatest strength: taking just one more turn.

All aboard!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 20, 2016, 14:02 (2744 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'm so hyped.

I've been playing basically nothing but Civ V for the last month or so. Civ VI looks so good. I think the district system will be a really great addition and might actually mix up the way I build cities.

All aboard!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, October 20, 2016, 18:52 (2743 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm so hyped.

I've been playing basically nothing but Civ V for the last month or so. Civ VI looks so good. I think the district system will be a really great addition and might actually mix up the way I build cities.

Oh, no doubt. All the special districts seem super cool as well.

Speaking of hype . . . (Red Dead 2!)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 20, 2016, 14:56 (2744 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'll just throw this up here, to avoid starting another OT thread:

Speaking of hype . . . (Red Dead 2!)

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, October 20, 2016, 15:02 (2744 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'll just throw this up here, to avoid starting another OT thread:

I appreciate the absence of conflict. Rockstar knew what their fans love most from these worlds—atmosphere, scale, variety, and freedom. Red Dead Redemption 2 (I really wish they kept up with the original names; e.g. Revolver, Redemption, and so on) should be splendid even more so on an engine evolved from the already breathtaking GTA V.

Civ 6: First Impressions

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, October 24, 2016, 13:46 (2740 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Wow what a game. Graphics, sound, everything comes together so very very well. The new visual presentation of the Wonders is honestly breathtaking. Gosh there's a lot to learn and/or do. Germany is fun to play (Hansa ftw) and the rest seem super interesting one way or another.

Anyone else pick this up? Literally played it all weekend and it was a total joy. :)

EDIT: Also, some real talk. All the Beyond Earth haters get bent - Civ 6 doesn't exist without it, and I mean that in the best way possible.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, October 24, 2016, 14:52 (2740 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Wow what a game. Graphics, sound, everything comes together so very very well. The new visual presentation of the Wonders is honestly breathtaking. Gosh there's a lot to learn and/or do. Germany is fun to play (Hansa ftw) and the rest seem super interesting one way or another.

Anyone else pick this up? Literally played it all weekend and it was a total joy. :)

EDIT: Also, some real talk. All the Beyond Earth haters get bent - Civ 6 doesn't exist without it, and I mean that in the best way possible.

I've only put 4-5 hours into it so far and I like it. It's weird because it changes so much about every aspect of the game yet it still feels familiar. That, I have to say, is the most impressive thing about it.

I totally picked Germany as well. I was somewhat disappoint by two things so far, first off, I feel like the units feel too cartoonish to me. I know they were going with the game board/map feel with the units and the fog of war and stuff like that. But I don't want units be feel like plastic pieces that came to life so that they can do an attack animation. I'm sure this might improve in later parts of the game but it feels almost too artsy and not cool feeling.

Secondly, I was expecting the barbarians to feel more threatening. They are more threatening than they were in Civ 5, but I don't get the feeling that I'm going to be overwhelmed by them if I don't deal with them like the dev's made it seem.

Don't want you all to take this negatively, because there are way pros to this game. And most of them are things they changed and not because it was bad in Civ5.

A few to point out, the city management is amazing, the mini-civs (can't think of their names) are bad-ass now. Even how you siege a city is different and fun! I feel like this is a completely different game, but it's still just damn good. To me, that is a 7 stars for the developers.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, October 24, 2016, 15:04 (2740 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Regarding the unit graphics, embrace the whimsy! Though I loathe to say it like this, they get much better as time goes on. The Bombards and Artillery are especially fun, and the modern units are the best they've ever looked.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, October 24, 2016, 15:11 (2740 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Regarding the unit graphics, embrace the whimsy! Though I loathe to say it like this, they get much better as time goes on. The Bombards and Artillery are especially fun, and the modern units are the best they've ever looked.

Okay, that gives me hope. Oh and I lied about who I was. I chose the romans. And I don't know if this is true of all swordsmen, but I love how some units have unique kill sequences. Like, how the roman legionaries will do a stab flip over the last guy they kill. It's simple, but awesome :D

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, October 24, 2016, 15:46 (2740 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I've always been a bit sad that I've never really tired any of the Civ games. Mostly because I haven't really had a modern computer... like ever? It's always nice to hear that a new game in a series hold up to experience players' expectations. I don't suppose any of these run on my iPad Pro?

Given that I don't know much of anything about the series, could you expand a little there? Beyond Earth was CIV IN SPACE or something, yes? What did Beyond Earth do for Civ 6? Did it give it a new game engine? Did it provide the funding needed to complete Civ 6? I guess as a gamer I'm just curious by what you meant here... even though there's a chance its specific gameplay features that might go over my head.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, October 24, 2016, 15:57 (2740 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I've always been a bit sad that I've never really tired any of the Civ games. Mostly because I haven't really had a modern computer... like ever? It's always nice to hear that a new game in a series hold up to experience players' expectations. I don't suppose any of these run on my iPad Pro?

You can try the simplified version. But it's not going to be anything like the original
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/civilization-revolution-2/id864880531?mt=8

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, October 24, 2016, 16:26 (2740 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Or get civ revolution for the 360. It's not backwards compatible unfortunately.

On a related note, if you have an iPad, download "battle for polytopia". It's basically a simplified version of civ that takes only 30 turns to complete. You are either trying to maximize your score, or trying to destroy all other civs on the board. And it's free!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, October 24, 2016, 18:40 (2739 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

You can try the simplified version. But it's not going to be anything like the original
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/civilization-revolution-2/id864880531?mt=8

For someone new to Civ, Civ Revolution is an excellent suggestion.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, October 24, 2016, 18:57 (2739 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by SonofMacPhisto, Monday, October 24, 2016, 19:04

As far as PCs go, Civilization tends to be pretty gentle, especially if you play 4 and 6 player maps. Dunno your personal situation, but a powerful PC is not a requirement whatsoever.

Given that I don't know much of anything about the series, could you expand a little there? Beyond Earth was CIV IN SPACE or something, yes? What did Beyond Earth do for Civ 6? Did it give it a new game engine? Did it provide the funding needed to complete Civ 6? I guess as a gamer I'm just curious by what you meant here... even though there's a chance its specific gameplay features that might go over my head.

I'll try to explain best I can because the thoughts are still forming in my head.

Between Civ 5 and Civ 6 there was Civ: Beyond Earth. Yes, very much Civ in Space and billed somewhat as a "spiritual successor" to Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri which was Civ 1 in Space but really really really awesome. Like, Landmark Awesome.

Follow me so far?

To many, Civ Beyond Earth was a massive let down (even Firaxis admits they didn't really accomplish all they could have). Many felt it didn't change the Civ formula enough to really be something special, and with it not borrowing from history to set the scene like Civ does it was hard to really love it like other Civ games. There's fighting freaking Napoleon and then there's fighting some vaguely Russian dude in space. Get my drift?

BUT here's what I see in Civ 6 that had it's genesis in Civ Beyond Earth.

In Civ Beyond Earth you could very much craft a civilization. High minded metaphors aside, think of the start of the game like a sculptor, the map, mechanics, theme, all a giant rock with which you will chisel a work of art. I made some *cool* space-civs; technocratic post scarcity wonders that I'd hope would earn even a head nod from Iain Banks.

There was also really cool archaeology and mini-quest mechanics that gave real flavor to your growth. Made each game unique.

Now fast forward to Civ 6, these developments in Civ Beyond Earth are now more advanced and integrated than what I saw in Beyond Earth. Firaxis were lambasted for not taking chances on Civ Beyond Earth, so now Civ has grown into something really special (well, again haha). How special? Dunno, it's early yet, but check it out:

My friend and I played games as Germany this weekend. I made a technocratic powerhouse of industry and commerce, dominating its home content with the fruits of the industrial and scientific revolutions. He took Germany into a cultural renaissance, eventually colonizing a group of islands and turning them into a tourist paradise unlike anything the world had seen.

Two different experiences from the same raw materials. Two different stories that honestly, weren't available in the same way they were in the previous Civs.

And they have Civ Beyond Earth to thank. :)

(BTW I loved Civ Beyond Earth, but, I like seeing how the sausage is made.)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 02:06 (2739 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

As far as PCs go, Civilization tends to be pretty gentle, especially if you play 4 and 6 player maps. Dunno your personal situation, but a powerful PC is not a requirement whatsoever.

I'm playing Civ 6 on a Surface Pro 4 with the integrated Intel HD 520. I run it at 1080 on mostly low and maintain at least 30fps (not that framerate is all that vital in a Civ game). That's part of the reason I love the new graphics settings. I think Civ 5 looks sort of generic and muddy on a high-end PC, much less on the Surface I've been using. Civ 6 looks pretty good, even on low, and the readability of everything is much better all around.

I'm loving it.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 02:22 (2739 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I've only ever played Civilization 5 before, so I don't have a lot of experience with the series.

A few random thoughts (I've yet to even make it much past Medieval Era, even though I've started several games).

-I like the new look. As my other post said, I just think it's a much more clear presentation. And I love the hand-drawn map look. It's lovely. I really like the look of the leaders, too. I know they're cartoonish, but they look fantastic.

-I like the new Wonder animations, but I also sort of miss the paintings from Civ 5.

-Sean Bean is obviously great (even though he sounds bored half the time), but the quotes are . . . weird, at the very least. I'm okay with trying to add some humor, but I'd have liked to see more serious quotes.

-Still getting used to it, but game speed seems weird. I feel like I can't build things at anywhere near the same rate I could in Civ 5. I suspect a lot of that will come with really learning the districts and optimizing for whatever you need/want to produce. In Civ 5, it seems like you could basically just build whatever you wanted whenever you wanted, for the most part. In Civ 6, you really need to figure out your goals and prioritize and build the correct districts.

-Speaking of districts: What's the cost scaling? I haven't figured it out completely, but it seems like for every district you build, the cost for the next one gets higher. I haven't paid enough attention to figure out if it's just per district or per district type.

-Cleopatra is a bitch. Seriously, every single game, she gives me about twelve turns and then denounces me for being weak. Like damn, I've literally had enough time to build a single unit.

-I like the envoy system. Adds some more depth to City-States, which is nice. I also like the card system for governments, even though I feel like I won't use a lot of them.

-FOR GOD'S SAKE, HOW DO I TURN OFF AUTO UNIT CYCLING? It's so goddamn annoying, and it's screwed me over so many times, but I can't find an option anywhere.

Overall, I'm really digging it. There's some small issues here and there, but there's so much to like about it.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread