Well, That's A Little Condescending. (Destiny)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, October 28, 2016, 13:00 (2758 days ago)

"How's your aim, Guardian?"

I found out through experience last night, that the Archon Forge "test" that shows up halfway through an event has nothing to do with how many enemies you kill or how quickly. As it turns out, all you have to do is just shoot the SIVA spore that shows up in one of the domes. That's literally it. Shoot it and destroy it, and you've immediately "passed".

This explains why I never ever got it while I was alone, but always got it in a group--I never thought to just blow up the environment, I was too busy shooting at enemies.

It's kinda childish, but hey--those axes are extremely useful for perfect enemies, and one-hit kill for everything else.

I'll take it!!

mystery solved

by Oholiab @, Friday, October 28, 2016, 13:22 (2758 days ago) @ Morpheus

I've been wondering what triggered "impressive". Like you I rarely got it while flying solo. I too am a little disappointed now that I know the answer.

There's a little more

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, October 28, 2016, 14:41 (2758 days ago) @ Morpheus

From what I understand you have to kill the siva pod that spawns in the dome and then kill another one outside of the dome to trigger the "impressive" feature that gives you the axes.

There's a little more

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 28, 2016, 15:18 (2758 days ago) @ unoudid

From what I understand you have to kill the siva pod that spawns in the dome and then kill another one outside of the dome to trigger the "impressive" feature that gives you the axes.

That might be true - but the one that spwans in the first dome (the one that opens when the event starts) is ALWAYS killed by someone, so I don't think I've ever had a run that didn't meet the second criterion, just by default.

In any case, since we're talking about stuff folks might or might not know about Archon Forge, here's something I've told two people about in the last couple of days - since neither of them knew it, maybe it's not as well-known as I thought:

The axes start off with a flaming blade - the flame will eventually burn out. (Usually when you're somewhere between 50 and 60 power, but I'm not sure there aren't other things involved; if I melee with it enough, I can lose the flame while it's still in the high 70s, so there might be a timer, too.) While it is flaming, you can use it to kill exploding shanks; they will melt. Once it has burned out, hitting an exploding shank with it will cause the shank (and most likely you) to explode. This is SUPER-useful when it's fresh, and there are a billion shanks floating around.

(The other minor thing, which I'm pretty sure EVERYONE knows, but which we might as well write out, is that if you melee with it, you do a fraction of the damage that the full trigger-pull does... but as long as you're hitting things, you build power in it. This seems obvious, and most of us SHOULD have learned it when we were introduced to axes in the story mode... but I'll see players grab an axe when we're still at, say, 70% to the final dome, use it trigger-only on the enemies they're fighting, and have it completely run out before the final boss spawns. So either they just don't give a damn, or they don't know. I've done AF alone, and had the axes spawn at 30%, and still had 70 power on it by the time the boss spawns. Plus, the melee attack (on bosses that don't OHK you up close, like Perfected Servitors) moves the boss back instead of bouncing him way up into the air, which means you can push him underneath a ledge, and then just pound on him until he's dead. If you use the trigger-pull attack, he's really hard to control.)

Nope. Just the one in the pod.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, October 28, 2016, 15:19 (2758 days ago) @ unoudid

Or I'm accidentally the best player in history and kill both at the exact same time.

Unless it has changed very recently, as I haven't played in a week.

Edit: If the one that spawns immediately counts (despite it appearing eons before the you will be tested prompt) then maybe.

pretty sure it's just the one in the pod as well.

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, October 28, 2016, 16:54 (2758 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

Nope. Just the one in the pod.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 28, 2016, 17:09 (2758 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Edit: If the one that spawns immediately counts (despite it appearing eons before the you will be tested prompt) then maybe.

Honestly, I've never been sure what that does, since every time I've ever run AF it's been destroyed immediately, so I have nothing to compare to. Maybe I should run it solo sometime and just intentionally not destroy the pod, see what happens.

I tested this a bit...

by Mariachi @, Kentucky, Friday, October 28, 2016, 16:46 (2758 days ago) @ unoudid

And it seems pretty certain that the only two that you need to kill are the very first one that spawns in the middle orb, and then the one that spawns in one of the two side orbs. Once you kill those two, the third side orb will be where the hammers spawn.

The small clusters that spawn around the map seem to have no effect on whether or not you get the hammers.

Weird

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, October 28, 2016, 16:53 (2758 days ago) @ Mariachi

When I've been playing I'll get the "your worth will be tested message" and then I'll essentially spawn snipe the cluster. This kills it before the dome is even 50% of the way open. I won't get the "impressive" message until I kill another cluster. I wonder if this has to do with the speed at which the first one is killed?

IIRC you don't get the impressive until it closes again.

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, October 28, 2016, 16:54 (2758 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

IIRC you don't get the impressive until it closes again.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 28, 2016, 17:11 (2758 days ago) @ slycrel

Yeah, exactly. All you're seeing is the delay after killing the one in the dome. You can just sit still and do nothing for that amount of time and you'll get the same result.

I thought this was already known.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, October 28, 2016, 16:57 (2758 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

We discussed it briefly here the first week or so of RoI

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, October 29, 2016, 02:29 (2758 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

But given the disappointment, I guess we never mentioned it again. Morpheus must've missed it by chance.

Well, That's A Little Condescending.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 28, 2016, 17:06 (2758 days ago) @ Morpheus

I don't mean to be condescending (haha) but I genuinely thought everyone knew that. All the groups I've been in have shot at it as soon as it appeared.

To be fair, it DOES seem too easy to be a real test of skill. The only skill involved is actually noticing that the target is available. Once you know it's there, it's not at all difficult to destroy. I kind of feel like it should be something that's only up for a split second.

Well, That's A Little Condescending.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, October 28, 2016, 19:07 (2758 days ago) @ stabbim

The only skill involved is actually noticing that the target is available. Once you know it's there, it's not at all difficult to destroy. I kind of feel like it should be something that's only up for a split second.

It's especially easy to know if you're like me and camp around the high side dome. Plenty of cover there except when the dome opens, so I kill that pod as soon as I can. With a decent sniper you can solo all the encounters from that spot.

Does shooting SIVA spores work anywhere else?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 01:04 (2754 days ago) @ Morpheus
edited by Pyromancy, Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 01:39

On VIP kill patrols in The Plaguelands, does shooting the spores near the patrol target help turn the patrol into the larger event where enemy reinforcements are delivered and a flaming axe gets dropped for you?

Seems like sometimes the patrol can develop further and sometimes it does not, and it seems like shooting the spores maybe does something? I can't tell for sure since it is sporadic in nature

If it is not the spores, what causes the event to develop further? Random chance?

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 04:18 (2754 days ago) @ Pyromancy

The quarantine patrol icon gives a patrol that will ask you to kill a Priest. Once you kill him, the axe and the dropship show up. The ax & dropship usually (always?) spawn at the same place on each zone, but the Priest can spawn in a few different places.

I don't think you have to shoot the SIVA node at all for the rest of the event to trigger.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 14:08 (2753 days ago) @ marmot 1333

The quarantine patrol icon gives a patrol that will ask you to kill a Priest. Once you kill him, the axe and the dropship show up. The ax & dropship usually (always?) spawn at the same place on each zone, but the Priest can spawn in a few different places.

I don't think you have to shoot the SIVA node at all for the rest of the event to trigger.

He's right, though, that occasionally the axe and dropship are not part of the patrol event. Every once in a while, you get full credit when you finish killing the Priest. (And sometimes, once you kill the priest, instead of getting the Axe/Ship event, you get one of the 3-part 'unknown' events, and your rep/glimmer aren't added until that's finished.)

I don't know what triggers the variants, but I'm simply acknowledging that they exist.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 14:40 (2753 days ago) @ Claude Errera

He's right, though, that occasionally the axe and dropship are not part of the patrol event. Every once in a while, you get full credit when you finish killing the Priest. (And sometimes, once you kill the priest, instead of getting the Axe/Ship event, you get one of the 3-part 'unknown' events, and your rep/glimmer aren't added until that's finished.)

I've noticed that I seem to be getting a lot more of those, but I hadn't connected them to the times when I didn't get the 2nd part of a quarantine mission. That's definitely good to know. I've occasionally dropped the multi-part mystery patrol mission when I was just trying to knock out the Plaguelander quest, but if it's required to complete the quarantine mission, I may actually have to make sure I finish them.

-Disciple

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 19:17 (2753 days ago) @ Claude Errera

He's right, though, that occasionally the axe and dropship are not part of the patrol event. Every once in a while, you get full credit when you finish killing the Priest.

Interesting, I don't think that has ever happened to me. I always try to grab the Quarantine quests first for Plaguelander, because they seem the hardest to find.

(And sometimes, once you kill the priest, instead of getting the Axe/Ship event, you get one of the 3-part 'unknown' events, and your rep/glimmer aren't added until that's finished.)

Weird. I always thought the mystery quests only started after you completed the entire previous quest.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, November 04, 2016, 19:38 (2751 days ago) @ Claude Errera

From what I've observed, I believe this happens (or can happen) if, at the moment you kill the priest, someone else is still in the process of doing a quarantine patrol in that area.

Oh yeah, this is what I meant. Thanks for the correct

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 20:26 (2753 days ago) @ marmot 1333

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread