You all suck (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 13:30 (2761 days ago)

Stop buying the microtransactions. They are working.

Rise of Iron made more money in its first month than Destiny did in its first month back in Sept 2014. Think about that. It cost half as much but made more.

You all suck, and this is why we get shitty things!

What is Superdata and why should I trust it.

by DEEP_NNN, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 13:39 (2761 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Or for that matter, why should I trust Gamerrant's or your slant on these matters?

Well, duh.

by ProbablyLast, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 14:26 (2761 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The launch of the game didn't need a queue.

Yump.

Microtran$ for the win!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 14:55 (2761 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Stop buying the microtransactions. They are working.

Rise of Iron made more money in its first month than Destiny did in its first month back in Sept 2014. Think about that. It cost half as much but made more.

You all suck, and this is why we get shitty things!

I'm happy that supporting our favorite dev is having a clear impact, and it likely means we'll see expanded microtransactions down the road (especially with SRL on the way).

Microtransactions in Destiny 2 are all but confirmed, and I can't wait to see how that feature evolves (hopefully we get direct purchases rather than gambling).

Line in the sand

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 15:15 (2761 days ago) @ Korny

I will not buy or play Destiny 2 if it has Microtransactions at launch. I don't care how much they improve the game, I will not stand for a company so blatantly spitting in the faces of it's customers.

Microtransactions affect everyone, negatively. They entice developers to be lazy, coerce the weak-willed to spend needlessly, and the rest of us get less of a game then we deserve for our money.

/rant

100 Silver says you pull a Cody Miller eventually.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 15:39 (2761 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 17:03 (2761 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It's entirely possible that I won't be playing Destiny 2 either if the microtransactions are bad. I've stopped playing Rise of Iron since beating the hard mode raid.

With things like Uncharted 4, the campaign has none at all and I can just play it and not ever even see a prompt to pay money if I just ignore multiplayer (which I have). Destiny does not have that luxury.

But never say never right?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 17:41 (2761 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Ragashingo, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 17:48

It's entirely possible that I won't be playing Destiny 2 either if the microtransactions are bad. I've stopped playing Rise of Iron since beating the hard mode raid.

Not overplaying content hardly makes you special or even interesting.

With things like Uncharted 4, the campaign has none at all and I can just play it and not ever even see a prompt to pay money if I just ignore multiplayer (which I have). Destiny does not have that luxury.

Uh, wut? Do you even see a prompt for micro transactions if you never walk up to the Eververse counter?

Well... you did. Now you've become one of those cautionary fairy tale lessions about the perils of those who go back on their word.

And yeah. Same bet. 100 Silver (or the Destiny 2 equivalent) says you'll play Destiny 2 no matter what.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 17:46 (2761 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 18:02

Not overplaying content hardly makes you special or even interesting.

Uh, wut? Do you even see a prompt for micro transactions if you never walk up to the Eververse counter?

Well... you did. Now you've become one of those fairy tale lessions about the perils of those who go back on their word.

And yeah. Same bet. 100 Silver (or the Destiny 2 equivalent) says you'll play Destiny 2 no matter what.

I'm not saying I won't play it. I don't know. I'd probably take the same bet you are.

As for your question regarding Uncharted 4, the campaign for that doesn't show you items you need to use to upgrade shit that can only reasonably be acquired by purchasing them.

MFW Cody pulls a Cody within a single reply...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 21:54 (2761 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Well, it was nice playing with you.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 15:56 (2761 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Id like to say Im with you

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 18:11 (2761 days ago) @ CyberKN

The mind is willing. But the body is weak.

I'm sure it will...

by slycrel ⌂, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 19:32 (2761 days ago) @ CyberKN

...I just hope they aren't too far down the slippery slope. Seems like they inch closer every new release.

We'll miss you if you don't play. I totally get it. :/

+1

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 21:54 (2761 days ago) @ CyberKN

I still don't have Rise of Iron, and I don't plan on getting it.

I'll hold off on going so far as to say I'll never play Destiny 2--I'll wait for more info to see what it's like and how it works first. But it amounts to just more Destiny with more sleazy microtransactions, I'll be happy enough to just skip it. There are too many other good games out there that don't require me to spend hours and hours and hours grinding to get to the good stuff.

That's ironic coming from the guy that made a post about how Destiny should be more like Diablo III, but Destiny's grinding doesn't even come close to being as fun as Diablo's, and Diablo doesn't ask me for money for light up armor.

+1

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 23:12 (2760 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Diablo 2. And I was saying hay only in regards to quests.

+1

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 31, 2016, 11:41 (2760 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Diablo 2. And I was saying hay only in regards to quests.

No, sorry. I was referring to the post I made a month or two ago about how Destiny could be more like Diablo III. I almost linked it, but I was too lazy to search for it.

To each their own?

by Earendil, Monday, October 31, 2016, 16:27 (2760 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That's ironic coming from the guy that made a post about how Destiny should be more like Diablo III, but Destiny's grinding doesn't even come close to being as fun as Diablo's, and Diablo doesn't ask me for money for light up armor.

I like Destiny "Grinding" way more than Diablo2's. But that's in part because I find Diablo to be considerably more rote and simple compared to the activities I enjoy in Destiny.

To each their own?

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 31, 2016, 17:01 (2760 days ago) @ Earendil
edited by cheapLEY, Monday, October 31, 2016, 17:22

But that's in part because I find Diablo to be considerably more rote and simple compared to the activities I enjoy in Destiny.

I do too. I think that's why it works. Diablo allows me to grind while watching Parks and Rec or something, or listen to a podcast. Destiny requires just enough engagement for me to not do that but not enough engagement do fully hold my attention or make it fun to grind. Like just about everything in Destiny, it's this weird middle ground that just doesn't quite work.

To each their own?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, October 31, 2016, 19:10 (2760 days ago) @ cheapLEY

But that's in part because I find Diablo to be considerably more rote and simple compared to the activities I enjoy in Destiny.

I do too. I think that's why it works. Diablo allows me to grind while watching Parks and Rec or something, or listen to a podcast. Destiny requires just enough engagement for me to not do that but not enough engagement do fully hold my attention or make it fun to grind. Like just about everything in Destiny, it's this weird middle ground that just doesn't quite work.

Elite: Dangerous and Pandora have allowed me to appreciate this kind of leisure activity. Gotta be jumping all over human space for a couple hours? Toss on some jazz.

And it, like you said, just kinda works in a way Destiny doesn't.

Yep. Cheapley can be objectively wrong on games if he wants.

by Funkmon @, Monday, October 31, 2016, 17:07 (2760 days ago) @ Earendil

- No text -

I just bought 5 Treasures of the Lost in your name

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 15:07 (2761 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

What are we getting for our money?

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 17:12 (2761 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm not saying I agree with cody and i'm not one to speak up much but if bungie/activision is reaping in all this cash, When are we going to see some benefits from it? In addition to the support personal adding micro-transactions was billed as funding all sorts of content and tons of events for everybody. So far we've received a couple events and one or two addons that we had to pay for anyway. Where is all the free stuff this sorta thing is supposedly paying for?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 17:24 (2761 days ago) @ CougRon

In addition to the support personal adding micro-transactions was billed as funding all sorts of content and tons of events for everybody. So far we've received a couple events and one or two addons that we had to pay for anyway. Where is all the free stuff this sorta thing is supposedly paying for?

I would point out since it's important to note, we have no idea what percentage of that is from micro transactions (technically we don't even know from the original source if it includes micro transactions, it just stands to reason it does), so it's hard to say how much "content" we should be expecting.

Given the enormous piles of micro cash they've made

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 18:14 (2761 days ago) @ Xenos

Something a bit more than the two and a half events we've received so far, hopefully.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 18:17 (2761 days ago) @ someotherguy

Something a bit more than the two and a half events we've received so far, hopefully.

I'm not trying to get in the debate whether or not they "owe" us something. I'm purely stating with the numbers provided one can't make any conclusions on how much of that is microtransaction revenue.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 18:29 (2761 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm not trying to get in the debate whether or not they "owe" us something. I'm purely stating with the numbers provided one can't make any conclusions on how much of that is microtransaction revenue.

Given that Rise of Iron was half the price of Destiny, one can conclude that quite a bit was microtransactions money.

Apologies, nor was I

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 19:18 (2761 days ago) @ Xenos

In terms of debate at least. I'd like some more, but I myself have spent 0 silver, so I dont really get to have an opinion on what's "owed" or not.

Just, you know, hoping for more. SRL was very cool, so if we get anything of that caliber I'll be very happy. No clue what that would be, mind you.

No worries

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 19:19 (2761 days ago) @ someotherguy

Just, you know, hoping for more. SRL was very cool, so if we get anything of that caliber I'll be very happy. No clue what that would be, mind you.

Yeah, I have been very excited for SRL to return, hoping we get at least one more event like that next year as well.

No worries

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, October 31, 2016, 00:01 (2760 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah, I have been very excited for SRL to return, hoping we get at least one more event like that next year as well.

I'd like to play SRL again. My fear is that when it comes back, it'll be filled to the brim with even more Microtransaction "content". This Festival of the Lost was too much for me.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, October 30, 2016, 23:59 (2760 days ago) @ CougRon

I'm not saying I agree with cody and i'm not one to speak up much but if bungie/activision is reaping in all this cash, When are we going to see some benefits from it? In addition to the support personal adding micro-transactions was billed as funding all sorts of content and tons of events for everybody. So far we've received a couple events and one or two addons that we had to pay for anyway. Where is all the free stuff this sorta thing is supposedly paying for?

I'm not hard-line *against* Microtransactions, but the way Bungie continues to add them into the game feels increasingly gross to me. This latest Festival of the Lost is ripe with Microtransactions... The voice in my head can't help but say "isn't this the content that was supposed to be funded by previous Microtransactions?". It doesn't even feel like game content to me. It feels like an in-universe shopping spree. It's just so crass.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Monday, October 31, 2016, 00:14 (2760 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm not hard-line *against* Microtransactions, but the way Bungie continues to add them into the game feels increasingly gross to me. This latest Festival of the Lost is ripe with Microtransactions... The voice in my head can't help but say "isn't this the content that was supposed to be funded by previous Microtransactions?". It doesn't even feel like game content to me. It feels like an in-universe shopping spree. It's just so crass.

This.

Last year I had a ball with FotL collecting candy and chasing down masks, it was exactly the type of thing that'd bring me back to the game this year now that I'm largely beginning to feel apathetic about it. Unfortunately, there's literally no incentive for me to do anything in the event at all. Why should I bother to wear masks and collect candy when my reward is a mask I already have in my vault, or an RNG draw for consumables, which again, I have in my vault. The new stuff, the GOOD stuff, the stuff that I would've been able to get last year just for turning in a bag of candy, is all locked behind a paywall. That's straight up awful, and as a result I've sat most of the event out.

But I guess props for giving us a kiosk to pull masks out of or whatever.

I got a really cool flaming wolf head!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 31, 2016, 00:21 (2760 days ago) @ CougRon

Full disclosure: it cost nothing.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, October 31, 2016, 12:42 (2760 days ago) @ Kermit

Uhh.... How?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, October 31, 2016, 12:45 (2760 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Uhh.... How?

you can get 3 packages by just playing the quests on all 3 characters

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 31, 2016, 13:17 (2760 days ago) @ unoudid

Uhh.... How?

you can get 3 packages by just playing the quests on all 3 characters

It only took one try, and fortunately it was on the PS4, where only one character has leveled up enough to do it.

I generally treat this stuff like gravy--nice but not necessary. Didn't get the much coveted Ghost Ghost on either platform. Oh well.

I did buy the emotes, though, because emotes are cool and worth it to me.

I got the stupid siva mask. So ugly. So disappointing.

by Kahzgul, Monday, October 31, 2016, 22:30 (2760 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

I've been described the same way many times.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 04:39 (2759 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Extra bonus!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 20:58 (2759 days ago) @ Kermit

The wolf head changes to blue flame for a time if you use the wolf howl emote.

Numbers off by a factor of 10

by electricpirate @, Monday, October 31, 2016, 14:20 (2760 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Destiny launch month was more like 550 million. This article is only counting sales after release, which is a weird metric.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/08/destiny-sales-hit-63-million-units-within-a-month-of-release/

that being said, a hybrid microtransaction model is more sustainable in the long term than an expansion model.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 31, 2016, 14:41 (2760 days ago) @ electricpirate

Destiny launch month was more like 550 million. This article is only counting sales after release, which is a weird metric.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/08/destiny-sales-hit-63-million-units-within-a-month-of-release/

that being said, a hybrid microtransaction model is more sustainable in the long term than an expansion model.

That makes a lot more sense.

Also you know what's more sustainable than either? Making a full new game and releasing it every 3-4 years.

Debatable

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, October 31, 2016, 15:15 (2760 days ago) @ Cody Miller

We do have CoD, though, so really no fucking clue about what works and what doesn't.

Debatable

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 15:08 (2759 days ago) @ ZackDark

Even COD has a 3 year development Cycle between the three developers. Not trying to invalidate your arguement, we still need data to make better decisions.

Debatable

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 16:29 (2759 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Yeah, I was using CoD as an example that supports Cody's view. No harm done. :)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, October 31, 2016, 16:22 (2760 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You should cut back on the member berries.

Competition for attention is harder than its ever been, and as a consumer I have more options than ever before. This is good and bad.

Either way, you look at the past with Rose colored glasses too much. You don't want experimentation or trial and error, you want the same thing over and over again, which is why you can't put Destiny down.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 31, 2016, 17:06 (2760 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Competition for attention is harder than its ever been, and as a consumer I have more options than ever before. This is good and bad.

Either way, you look at the past with Rose colored glasses too much. You don't want experimentation or trial and error, you want the same thing over and over again, which is why you can't put Destiny down.

If I wanted the same thing over and over, I'd be playing Halo still. Do you see me playing Halo 5?

I love experimentation. However, this experiment has failed on a creative level.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, October 31, 2016, 17:27 (2760 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If I wanted the same thing over and over, I'd be playing Halo still. Do you see me playing Halo 5?

I love experimentation. However, this experiment has failed on a creative level.

Ok, you can sidestep all you want by mentioning Halo 5 but what about Destiny, cody?

You complain that it's a grind and the same content recycled, but STILL you play.

You don't take breaks. I never, EVER see you on anything else online in PS4.

We come back to this all the time with you: you are addicted to this game and you know it and yet you still can't put it down.

Because you don't really want to.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 31, 2016, 17:45 (2760 days ago) @ Revenant1988
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, October 31, 2016, 17:49

Ok, you can sidestep all you want by mentioning Halo 5 but what about Destiny, cody?

You complain that it's a grind and the same content recycled, but STILL you play.

The raid was awesome. Not much else was. I beat hard mode. Now I take a break.

I'm taking a break now actually. I also took one for six months this year.

We come back to this all the time with you: you are addicted to this game and you know it and yet you still can't put it down.

I will play as long as there is cool stuff to do and the bullshit isn't too much to outweigh that.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, October 31, 2016, 20:29 (2760 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The raid was awesome. Not much else was. I beat hard mode. Now I take a break.

I'm taking a break now actually. I also took one for six months this year.

I will play as long as there is cool stuff to do and the bullshit isn't too much to outweigh that.

[image]

Tell that to Rockstar. Or Blizzard. Or Valve.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 31, 2016, 17:06 (2760 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I mean seriously, do you think people would be trying to shove microtransactions into everything and sell games as a service if it wasn't working? Of course, most companies aren't Rockstar or Blizzard and aren't going to have that sustainability from a single release. But microtransactions are a thing because they work. I hate them as much as anyone, but it's a war we've already lost. We're clearly in the vocal minority on that front.

Tell that to Rockstar. Or Blizzard. Or Valve.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 31, 2016, 17:09 (2760 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I mean seriously, do you think people would be trying to shove microtransactions into everything and sell games as a service if it wasn't working? Of course, most companies aren't Rockstar or Blizzard and aren't going to have that sustainability from a single release. But microtransactions are a thing because they work. I hate them as much as anyone, but it's a war we've already lost. We're clearly in the vocal minority on that front.

Yes, they work (for now), but they simply hurt the games they are in creatively. There will probably come a time down the road when people change their minds, and we go back to the way it was before. As a result, we'll get games that are even better.

I don't play rockstar games nor blizzard games. Guess why? I don't play Valve games because they haven't released the next part to Half Life yet, but see nothing wrong with their console releases that lack microtransactions.

I'll guess!

by Funkmon @, Monday, October 31, 2016, 17:19 (2760 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You don't like MMOs or RTS games. As for Rockstar's games, you just never bothered picking up Table tennis or GTA.

I'll guess!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 31, 2016, 17:22 (2760 days ago) @ Funkmon

You don't like MMOs or RTS games. As for Rockstar's games, you just never bothered picking up Table tennis or GTA.

I love RTS.

GTA never did it for me. I only ever played 3, but it controlled horribly. Plus, the modern GTA games are the epitome of busy work disguised as content.

So then why don't you play Warcraft and Starcraft?

by Funkmon @, Monday, October 31, 2016, 19:09 (2760 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They're like the only games with Macintosh support.

So then why don't you play Warcraft and Starcraft?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 31, 2016, 20:03 (2760 days ago) @ Funkmon

They're like the only games with Macintosh support.

I used to play Starcraft a bunch. Not so much anymore. Starcraft 2 isn't very good.

TFW microtransactions don't bother you at all.

by Coaxkez, Sunday, November 06, 2016, 03:31 (2754 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As long as it's all cosmetic shit, I don't care. Bring 'em on, keep 'em coming.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread