Bite-sized Backstory 14: Oryx - The Taken King (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 11:50 (2682 days ago)

[image]

The Hive were all but beaten. Thanks to Taox’s information, the Ecumene knew exactly where to strike and exactly who to target. Before long, Auryx, Savathûn, and Xivu Arath could not even emerge from their throne-worlds for fear of being killed again and again. Worse, hiding and waiting was not an option, either. Each of the siblings felt the gnawing of their worms inside them. Without a supply of destruction, the bargain offered to the Hive by their worm gods so long ago would soon destroy them from within.

After much debate and despair between the three ascendant siblings who had gathered within Auryx’s throne-world, it was Auryx who came up with a solution. What they needed to defeat the Ecumene was the power of the Deep that their worms gods had long kept from them. And the only way to get it was to become far more powerful himself by claiming the power held by his sisters.

By truly killing them.

So, Auryx took up his sword and gained great power by beheading his sister Xivu Arath who willingly allowed it. He then turned and killed his sister Savathûn who at the last second had tried to trick him by pretending to give up her life willingly but who actually was intending to kill him with a dagger she had in her hand hidden behind her back.

By killing his two sisters, each of whom had participated in the deaths of billions spread across well over three hundred worlds, Auryx gained enormous power. So much so that he was able to seek out Akka,one of his worm gods, and demand the secrets he needed to call upon the deep directly. Akka refused to give him those secret, so Auryx killed it and took the secrets for himself. He forged these secrets into what he called the Tablets of Ruin then returned to his Hive and proclaimed himself to be Oryx, The Taken King since he now had the power to take life and make it his own.

Within the year, the Ecumene Crisis Council (and not the Dakaua Ministry of War? Was this bigger than just a war now?) met in an emergency session. Somehow the war that had been going so well had unexpectedly reversed itself. Where before the three leaders of the Hive had been forced into hiding, now the one they recognized as Aurash / Oryx had reemerged in possession of a staggeringly powerful new weapon. He somehow had the ability to abduct individual targets from the physical world then return them drastically changed. These “Taken” came back completely under Oryx’s control and possessed “physically illegal” abilities.

Oryx’s ability to “take” and alter individuals greatly concerned the Ecumene, and why wouldn’t it? He had found a way to do something that they, as “lords of matter and physical law,” could not even conceive of. With Oryx now able to turn their own forces against them, the Ecumene Crisis Council predicted that their civilizations would be extinct within 220 years unless some countermeasure to Oryx’s new power could be found.

The leaders of the Ecumene directed all of their client races to immediately dedicate all of their economic and technological resources to stopping Oryx, but in the end it would not be enough.

Sources:
XXVI: star by star by star
XXVII: Eat the Sky
XXVIII: King of Shapes

Previous: 13: The Amiable Ecumene
Next: 15: War and Trickery

Bite-sized Backstory 14: Oryx - The Taken King

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 12:23 (2682 days ago) @ Ragashingo

These “Taken” came back completely under Oryx’s control and possessed “physically illegal” abilities.

Like the ability to twitch away just before someone lands a headshot on them. Physically illegal and greatly annoying!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 12:57 (2682 days ago) @ Oholiab

Heh. Yep. That's what did in the many client species of the Ecumene. Those darn teleports just as they aimed. :P

Honestly, while it is a bit annoying it doesn't bother me as much as say the Halo 4 Promethean Knights who would teleport back to cover while almost instantly regaining their shields. I'd sometimes run out of ammo fighting those things! If I get too annoyed at the Taken I'll just switch to an AOE melee build of some type... maybe a Striker with the Feedback Fence or something.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 13:01 (2682 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Honestly, while it is a bit annoying it doesn't bother me as much as say the Halo 4 Promethean Knights who would teleport back to cover while almost instantly regaining their shields. I'd sometimes run out of ammo fighting those things!

The best way I found to defeat them was to delete Halo 4 from my Xbox.

Can confirm, disc killed itself in sympathy

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 14:58 (2681 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

The only way to win is not to play

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 17:37 (2681 days ago) @ bluerunner

On any difficulty higher than easy.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 15:35 (2681 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I don't remember the specifics of Halo 4 Prometheans, are they different from Halo 5 Prometheans? I think those are more fun than Taken. They telegraph where they're going to end up, so they're not as annoying as the Taken that teleport more randomly.

Very much so

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 15:48 (2681 days ago) @ cheapLEY

H5 Prometheans were a huge improvement. H4 Prometheans moved and attacked about the same way as H5's, but had shields much like Elites instead of exposable weak-spots. On top of that, their shields were very strong and recharged pretty fast if you let them. Considering their TELEPORT ALL THE PLACES directive, it was pretty hard to keep their shields down.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 15:54 (2681 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don't remember the specifics of Halo 4 Prometheans, are they different from Halo 5 Prometheans? I think those are more fun than Taken. They telegraph where they're going to end up, so they're not as annoying as the Taken that teleport more randomly.

The Halo 4 ones had strong shields that took a lot of normal fire to get down and then took a couple of headshots to damage the head armor then a final headshot to kill them... except it seemed like they ALWAYS transported like around behind a building or corner right as you broke their shield and their simple act of transporting kicked off their shield recharge meaning that if you didn't immediately get shots on them they would be back to full health by the time you found them again. That they showed you where they went didn't really help if you couldn't get there in time to finish them off!

The Halo 5 Knights were a lot more fun. Don't think they really had shields but they had multiple destructible points that you could damage and shoot off exposing weak points. With the right weapons and good aim you could kill them quickly but in hectic situations where you didn't have time to do careful aiming they could be much tougher and more dangerous. Even if they did teleport (which I don't really remember) it wasn't the "throw your controller across the room" type frustration that Halo 4 gave you when all your work was invalidated almost instantly.

Several units in Destiny teleport. Fallen Captains and Servitors, various Vex units, and several of the Taken, but usually they just cause you to miss a shot or two and even as annoying as that can be they rarely hide and even if they do you have so many ways to deal with enemies in Destiny that you didn't in Halo 4 that its not that big a deal.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread