Obligatory Steam sale thread (Gaming)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 23:31 (2729 days ago)

Given the latest XBL and PSN sale threads, I think it's important to point out that the Steam Autumn sale is upon us yet again.

Notable A-list discounts (IMO):

The Witcher 3 for US$12 (GotY for US$17.50)
DOOM (the new one) for US$22
Just Cause 3 for US$9.50
HITMAN season 1 pack for US$19

Guys. Buy Doom if you have money.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, November 24, 2016, 01:00 (2729 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Doesn't someone still have to finish Doom 3?

by BlackstarBSP, Thursday, November 24, 2016, 13:18 (2729 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Yes. The DLC, anyway.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, November 24, 2016, 14:22 (2728 days ago) @ BlackstarBSP

- No text -

^this^

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, November 25, 2016, 08:23 (2728 days ago) @ Funkmon

For once, Funkmon is right. I've been having a blast playing through the new DOOM on XBone recently. It "feels" like DOOM again. Source: I beat Ultimate DOOM (including the 4th episode) and DOOM II on Ultra-Violence. I've spent a LOT of time in those games.

^this^ + 1

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, November 25, 2016, 11:51 (2728 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

Is It REALLY That Good?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, November 25, 2016, 12:33 (2728 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

IIRC the demo is still out. Try it out to get a feeling

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 25, 2016, 13:07 (2728 days ago) @ Morpheus

Then check a late-game gameplay video. You'll know if it'll be your thing or not outright.

+1

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, November 25, 2016, 16:14 (2727 days ago) @ ZackDark

I tried the demo. The game is very impressive, but not for me.

So, I Tried The Doom Demo...

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, November 28, 2016, 03:37 (2725 days ago) @ ZackDark

It looks okay--the level was a little short for evaluation. They only had the little enemies(I guess Imps or something, one hit shotgun kill) and the moderately larger enemies(two hit shotgun kill). I have to tell you, I've never seen a player character so fast. I rather enjoyed it! However...this whole no reloading ever thing is such a huge readjustment. It's outright jarring.
I haven't played a game with cheat_bottomless_clip 1 since freaking 1998. I CONSTANTLY kept hitting the X button, multiple times even. I have no idea what the X button does, but it's only a matter of time before that gets me killed.

To be honest, I'm still on the fence about it--I never played any of the previous Dooms before it, and I'll have to check the achievement ratio first, but it's.....eh?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, November 28, 2016, 04:04 (2725 days ago) @ Morpheus

Heh, none of that is really a spoiler for anyone who played the old DOOM games. Running fast all the time (as opposed to having a specific sprint function), not having to reload, that was simply how the old games WERE. Those things weren't cheats back then, it was just the normal state of things.

If you've never played the originals, DOOM 1 and 2 are downloadable 360 games. I honestly think I'd say to play those first. They're probably cheaper, and deliver much the same feeling.

That's actually the appeal, for those of us who loved the old games - this one FEELS like DOOM. Sure, there are a lot of new mechanics, but the basic flow of combat feels right. Strafing around enemies to dodge fire as opposed to taking cover, systems that reward frenetic and fast play rather than careful plodding. This version of DOOM is the first thing I've played since the originals that has successfully reproduced it.

BTW, X does have a function. It swaps to a specific weapon that isn't in the demo.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, November 28, 2016, 10:50 (2725 days ago) @ stabbim

BTW, X does have a function. It swaps to a specific weapon that isn't in the demo.

*evil cackle*

Yes

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, November 25, 2016, 13:21 (2728 days ago) @ Morpheus

It's good Doom in the way Wolf: The New Order was good Wolfenstein. However, if you thought Wolf TNO had too much talky talky, then you'll LOVE Doom.

Just a grand old time killing hellspawn. As God intended, really.

Guys. Buy Doom if you have money.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 25, 2016, 14:02 (2728 days ago) @ Funkmon

I'll pass. There's a certain gore/monster aesthetic I can't abide. Gears runs right up to that line. But no one should listen to me. I've been dissing Doom since December, 1994.

Story: you're in hell; get out.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 13:17 (2727 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Obligatory Steam sale thread

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 24, 2016, 12:43 (2729 days ago) @ ZackDark

Stardew Valley is $10.04. I can't recommend that game enough if you're into very relaxing crafting type games. More Harvest Moon than Minecraft, but there's plenty to do between fixing up a farm, doing quests for and building relationships with the people around town, delving down into the mines to combat creatures and mine ore, fishing, collecting this for a museum, finding secrets and unlocking new areas of the map, etc. Everything about the game is wonderfully charming.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread