Playstation Experience just started... (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 16:12 (2694 days ago)

So far, they've revealed an Uncharted side-story starring Chloe (yay!)

I hope we get to see something from Bungie that's not 100% centered on SRL.

YEAR 3 ICEBREAKER (PS4 EXCLUSIVE)!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 16:17 (2694 days ago) @ Korny

Not really exclusive, but yes, really, Year 3 Icebreaker.

YEAAAAAAAAAAA

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 16:18 (2694 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Full trailer for Destiny's "The Dawning" update.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 17:10 (2694 days ago) @ Korny

STRIKE SCORIIIING!!!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 18:14 (2694 days ago) @ Korny

I knew those medals popped up in PoE for a reason!!

I am SO ready.

Full trailer for Destiny's "The Dawning" update.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 18:34 (2694 days ago) @ Korny

They forgot one NEW:

NEW MICROTRANSACTIONS!

SRL permanent in private matches.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 20:16 (2694 days ago) @ Korny

Firelord!

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 22:25 (2694 days ago) @ Korny

Also Voidlord, which will be more useful, but doesnt sound as good as a post title.

Firelord!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 23:31 (2694 days ago) @ someotherguy

[image]

If only an exotic could make ME Firelord!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, December 04, 2016, 00:08 (2694 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Firelord!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, December 04, 2016, 00:05 (2694 days ago) @ someotherguy

Also Voidlord, which will be more useful, but doesnt sound as good as a post title.

They should call it Edgelord.
Flavor text: You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

Is that from something?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, December 04, 2016, 00:39 (2694 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Is that from something?

by Funkmon @, Sunday, December 04, 2016, 01:10 (2694 days ago) @ Ragashingo

A poster on an Internet forum, (particularly 4chan) who expresses opinions which are either strongly nihilistic, ("life has no meaning," or Tyler Durden's special snowflake speech from the film Fight Club being probably the two main examples) or contain references to Hitler, Nazism, fascism, or other taboo topics which are deliberately intended to shock or offend readers.

The term "edgelord," is a noun, which came from the previous adjective, "edgy," which described the above behaviour.
Nietzsche was an edgelord before it was cool.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=edgelord

YEAR 3 ICEBREAKER (PS4 EXCLUSIVE)!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 20:26 (2694 days ago) @ Korny

Nexus returning?

by ProbablyLast, Sunday, December 04, 2016, 06:54 (2694 days ago) @ bluerunner

Well, I guess I'm redownloading the game for a day or so.

We could do Nexus in 4 minutes. I bet the new one takes 12.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, December 04, 2016, 14:44 (2693 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

Still going to do it.

by ProbablyLast, Sunday, December 04, 2016, 15:28 (2693 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Playstation Experience just started...

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 16:37 (2694 days ago) @ Korny

So far, they've revealed an Uncharted side-story starring Chloe (yay!)

That's great! More Claudia Black makes me happy (as does more Uncharted)!

Playstation Experience just started...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 17:54 (2694 days ago) @ Korny

I hope we get to see something from Bungie that's not 100% centered on SRL.

I don't understand the point of that at all.

The Last of Us sequel announced. :/

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 17:56 (2694 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Korny, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 18:02

While I love the idea of Naughty Dog revisiting the world of The Last of Us, I had reeeeeally hoped that the storyline from the last game would be left alone; Ellie's story ended perfectly (one of the only stories that i can think of that had a truly perfect ending).
That said, Uncharted 4 was a pretty flawless game throughout, so I'll be preordering this the second it becomes available, but still, come on, Naughty Dog...

The Last of Us sequel announced. :/

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 20:24 (2694 days ago) @ Korny

If I'd have been asked, I'd have probably agreed with you. The Last of Us was a nearly pitch perfect story that stands incredibly well on its own and it doesn't need to be expanded upon or touched in anyway.

After watching the trailer, I still logically think that's true but I don't care. I got chills and I could not be more excited to see what Ellie has been up to.

+1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 21:50 (2694 days ago) @ cheapLEY

If I'd have been asked, I'd have probably agreed with you. The Last of Us was a nearly pitch perfect story that stands incredibly well on its own and it doesn't need to be expanded upon or touched in anyway.

After watching the trailer, I still logically think that's true but I don't care. I got chills and I could not be more excited to see what Ellie has been up to.

TLoU didn't need a sequel at all. The story was complete. But on the other hand, we're getting a new game from the best storytellers in the business, featuring my all time favorite characters. I can't help but get excited about it :)

What if its like Hollywood, and they make sequels just for $

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 22:57 (2694 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 23:21 (2694 days ago) @ Pyromancy

I think that the potential to make large sums of money with TLoU2 is absolutely a deciding factor in the game getting made... The important question, I think, is can Naughty Dog justify the sequel on an artistic level? Can they come up with a story worth telling? I hope they do.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 23:23 (2694 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think that the potential to make large sums of money with TLoU2 is absolutely a deciding factor in the game getting made... The important question, I think, is can Naughty Dog justify the sequel on an artistic level? Can they come up with a story worth telling? I hope they do.

I think the entire Uncharted series (but especially Uncharted 4, which is the definition of unnecessary sequel) proves that they can.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 23:29 (2694 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think the entire Uncharted series (but especially Uncharted 4, which is the definition of unnecessary sequel) proves that they can.

None of the Uncharted games had the perfect gut punching ending Last of Us had.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, December 04, 2016, 00:17 (2694 days ago) @ Cody Miller

None of the Uncharted games had the perfect gut punching ending Last of Us had.

To be fair, find me any game that earns a "perfect gut punching ending" like TLoU did...

I've played games with good endings, but no other game has left me feeling like I want to leave the characters perfectly as they are once the credits roll.

It's funny how unhappy I feel to hear that I'm going to be able to revisit such a great world and fantastic characters. Naughty Dog has totally proven that they can tell a story worth telling after the real story is told (Left Behind showed that with TLoU, and Uncharted 4 felt like there was legitimately more to say about Nathan's nature and life)...

I just wish I never had to see anything beyond the look in Ellie's eyes at the end of TLoU, and her acceptance of the lie...

Is it still about the same characters or entirely new ones?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, December 04, 2016, 00:34 (2694 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Thanks for tagging out. I need to finish TLoU still

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, December 04, 2016, 00:46 (2694 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Hope you didn't watch the video then.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, December 04, 2016, 01:08 (2694 days ago) @ Pyromancy

- No text -

Saw the video. Didn't read your post

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, December 04, 2016, 01:35 (2694 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Video started midplay when I tried PSX stream this afternoon

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, December 04, 2016, 01:38 (2694 days ago) @ Pyromancy

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, December 04, 2016, 01:35 (2694 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Maybe I'm alone, but I fundamentally reject the idea that a sequel could tarnish that perfect ending. The game could literally open immediately after the first game with Ellie getting trampled by an escaped giraffe or something and it wouldn't do anything to the ending of TLoU. It was still perfect and emotionally effective as it was experienced. That memory will always be there.

It's like folks saying reboots of 80s movies somehow ruin the originals. That's a ridiculous line of thinking in my book.

I thought this was less ruining the original ending

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, December 04, 2016, 11:53 (2693 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And more that we want something different from them? Hell I'd be happy to with a TLOU sequel that is about different characters. I'm not writing this game off, but damn, that was a great ending.

Re: Remake concerns:
If someone ends up remaking TLOU 20 years from now, I'll think "boy they've got their work cut out for them", not "BLASPHEME"

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, December 06, 2016, 00:20 (2692 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Maybe I'm alone, but I fundamentally reject the idea that a sequel could tarnish that perfect ending. The game could literally open immediately after the first game with Ellie getting trampled by an escaped giraffe or something and it wouldn't do anything to the ending of TLoU. It was still perfect and emotionally effective as it was experienced. That memory will always be there.

It's like folks saying reboots of 80s movies somehow ruin the originals. That's a ridiculous line of thinking in my book.

I think the issue is that part of what made the ending so great was the imaginary space it put us in that insisted we try to imagine what happened next. Not knowing is part of that ending's strength.

That said, we should probably all lie back and think of The Godfather, Part II.

I mean, all video games are like that, really.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, December 06, 2016, 21:54 (2691 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Do you need Madden 27? They switched to years so you don't realize just how many god damn football games you've bought, but really they could just send out a text file with roster update info and your old Madden would be good to go. Instead they make a "whole new game" (which we all know is 1 feature added and a roster update) and sell us that at full price.

What about the next Super Mario game? Zelda? CoD? Des2ny? These are all cash grabs because it is MUCH easier to sell an existing IP than to sell people a brand new one.

At least we generally know what to expect from video game sequels, and the gameplay is generally improved.

I think the real concern here with TLoU 2 is that the STORY was so good, and writing is not, generally, as good in sequels. The question is not at all "will this be a fun game" but "will the story live up to the original."

That will be a hard bar to jump over, but we know the gameplay is fun. That means the worst case scenario of good gameplay with bad story means it will be just as good as Destiny. Chew on that!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 06, 2016, 22:10 (2691 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, December 06, 2016, 22:13

I think the real concern here with TLoU 2 is that the STORY was so good, and writing is not, generally, as good in sequels. The question is not at all "will this be a fun game" but "will the story live up to the original."

Last of Us 2 might be the gayest game ever, and I'm all for that. Naughty Dog has the storytelling ability and sensitivity to touch on things not normally dealt with in games.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, December 06, 2016, 23:09 (2691 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Last of Us 2 might be the gayest game ever, and I'm all for that. Naughty Dog has the storytelling ability and sensitivity to touch on things not normally dealt with in games.

I guess the debate between Ashley Johnson and Neil Druckmann will be settled, but I'll be happy if Ellie's orientation matters not one iota. I won't be grading the story on a curve based on that.

I'm not sure that's possible, because this thing exists.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, December 07, 2016, 09:44 (2690 days ago) @ Cody Miller

NSFW (which is why I've left this as a link and not an embedded video), and also the ending is not at all what you think it will be, because the game decides to drop some acid when you get to that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jy8OwaGjm8

Spoilers in that video

by Funkmon @, Sunday, December 04, 2016, 01:06 (2694 days ago) @ Korny

If you didn't play the game yet, the video lets you know that Ellie doesn't die, and kind of removes the stressful part in the game where you play as Ellie, thinking that maybe Joel dies.

I don't know what kind of story they're going to tell now, but, as much as I like westerns, revenge stories don't do anything for me. I hope it turns out well. I also don't know anyone with a PS4 I can borrow this time, so I'll be experiencing this game from a good let's play series, hopefully.

Also in the post, maybe?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, December 04, 2016, 01:29 (2694 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Thumbnail does half of it.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, December 04, 2016, 01:45 (2694 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Yep

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, December 04, 2016, 02:10 (2694 days ago) @ Funkmon

Not complaining or anything, just warning unaware folks. :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread