*OT* Oni 2 build surfaces (Destiny)

by electricpirate @, Monday, December 05, 2016, 18:02 (2698 days ago)

Okay, this is cool. Not actually a bungie version, but it would be interesting to see where this would have gone.

http://kotaku.com/bungie-s-cult-classic-oni-almost-had-a-sequel-1789693658

Oni was really ahead of it's time in a lot of ways, though the vision of compelling third person combat has changed pretty dramatically, I'd like to see Oni's kind of TPS light approach explored more fully.

Mentioning Oni makes me think about Absolver

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, December 05, 2016, 18:09 (2698 days ago) @ electricpirate

*OT* Oni 2 build surfaces

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 05, 2016, 18:38 (2698 days ago) @ electricpirate

Very cool. Lots of interesting info.

Oni was really ahead of it's time in a lot of ways, though the vision of compelling third person combat has changed pretty dramatically, I'd like to see Oni's kind of TPS light approach explored more fully.

Isn't that basically God Hand? :-p

Oni was great, and also had lots of cut content

by Durandal, Monday, December 05, 2016, 19:36 (2698 days ago) @ electricpirate

Oni got tied up in Bungie's transition to Microsoft, and ended up getting some content cut, like the multiplayer. However, I found the levels and gameplay that did make it was fun, and inventive for the time.

This is generally one IP that I hope someone will resurrect for a sequel.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, December 05, 2016, 20:02 (2698 days ago) @ electricpirate

Okay, this is cool. Not actually a bungie version, but it would be interesting to see where this would have gone.

http://kotaku.com/bungie-s-cult-classic-oni-almost-had-a-sequel-1789693658

Thanks for posting. I loved that Lariat move SO MUCH.

by nico, Tuesday, December 06, 2016, 14:12 (2697 days ago) @ electricpirate

I've always suspected Oni was one a project that was lovingly crafted from the top down. Beautiful animation, solid sound design and music, an elegant UI, and just the right amount of humor.

Not to mention one of my all time favorite game weapons: the Mercury Bow.

Oni also proved Bob O'Donnell as a versatile and talented voice actor and not just a surly dwarf.

It's a pity the franchise wasn't further developed, and judging from that video, they were on the right track. Thanks for sharing that!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread