I get why Destiny can't have a dedicated Theater mode, but.. (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, December 05, 2016, 19:13 (2669 days ago)
edited by Korny, Monday, December 05, 2016, 19:17

Gravity Rush 2 has an in-game photo mode that lets you set up your scene (with your own objects), pick your pose, and take a pic without pausing the game; something that could be totally doable in Destiny (Imagine being able to take a pic with your favorite weapons laid out at your feet).

(clip starts at 6:42)

(Ah wait, I'm supposed to demand that Bungie add something like this to the game...)

I don't get why there can't be a theater mode, actually.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, December 07, 2016, 09:25 (2668 days ago) @ Korny

I mean, I get that the game wasn't designed with replays in mind, and therefore doesn't have the underlying structure to support it, but I don't get why that decision was made in the first place.

Destiny doesn't seem to be sending any more data than Halo did. Bungie has had a brilliant theater plan ever since Marathon, and I miss it terribly. I think my friends and I spent more time in Halo 3 watching replays in slow motion than we did actually playing the game. Also, with Destiny's graphics, a theater mode would look absolutely fantastic. And then they could do little slow-mo montages at the end of each match showing the best kills. And, you know, kill cam could be a thing, which should totally be a thing, because kill cam is a good thing for showing people that they didn't actually get shot through a wall and around a corner.

For those who are curious: Marathon (and halo, later) just kept a log file of every action, and then in theater mode it played the log back. So the animations were all rendered in real-time while you watched, but the actions taken - shots fired, jumps, etc.. - all matched the game you were viewing. This is also why Halo could have slow-motion without you seeing the individual frames of gameplay stuttering by.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread