On another note: It's time to revisit No Man's Sky (Gaming)

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, December 07, 2016, 18:40 (2694 days ago)

If you haven't played No Man's Sky since the update, you should.

I'm having a blast in survival mode. It's hard as hell, super stressful, and really, really fun. I've died at least 16 times so far (it has a counter, so you know), of which 8-10 were before I even got off of the first planet (damn you, Zinc. Why were you so hard to find!?).

Base building is cool, and they actually thought about how to pace out goals this time around to keep you going. Survival, especially, forces you out of your ship and walking around the worlds, which is where the game really shines anyway. If you got bored with it originally, give survival a try. It's awesome.

Can't wait until I save up enough to buy a freighter!

On another note: It's time to revisit No Man's Sky

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, December 07, 2016, 22:14 (2694 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Wow, a freighter. No Man's Sky really lets your dreams soar.

by BlackstarBSP, Wednesday, December 07, 2016, 23:10 (2694 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Don't forget the bases. YOU CAN MAKE BASES!!!!

;)

Kidding aside, Narcogen and I are doing exactly that; trying the new modes, seeing who can get off the planet first without dying, that sort of thing.

Glad they are working on it adding new things. Just is unfortunate that they could not delay the launch so this would be everyone's real first impressions of the game.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 08, 2016, 01:14 (2694 days ago) @ BlackstarBSP

It really is a shame. I haven't played the update, so can't speak to its quality, but I'm not sure that matters--it's too little too late for most people I think, and I'm not sure anything they do could change that. I hope I'm wrong. I think I'd be really into the game No Man's Sky might be a year from now.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, December 08, 2016, 07:04 (2694 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It really is a shame. I haven't played the update, so can't speak to its quality, but I'm not sure that matters--it's too little too late for most people I think, and I'm not sure anything they do could change that. I hope I'm wrong. I think I'd be really into the game No Man's Sky might be a year from now.

If you already own it, it's definitely worth hopping back in. Survival mode is brutal and awesome. I played literally all day today and had a blast. It's super hard. Just moved my base to a far less lethal world (no environmental hazards! Can you imagine? Literally the first world I've found like that. The occasional giant meat eating dino dog, and of course the sentinels are all frenzied, but no environmental hazards is well worth the tradeoffs. I still grit my teeth any time I have to go to space... those pirates are no joke. I am getting better at surviving on the surface of a world, at least.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, December 08, 2016, 07:07 (2694 days ago) @ BlackstarBSP

Don't forget the bases. YOU CAN MAKE BASES!!!!

;)

Kidding aside, Narcogen and I are doing exactly that; trying the new modes, seeing who can get off the planet first without dying, that sort of thing.

Glad they are working on it adding new things. Just is unfortunate that they could not delay the launch so this would be everyone's real first impressions of the game.

Protip: When exploring on the surface and you're going to die, quickly send as much of your inventory to your spaceship as you can. You only lose what you were carrying at the time. Similarly, whenever in space put as much of your inventory on your character rather than in your ship. You only lose the stuff in your ship if your ship gets blown up.

Also, wow, if you got off your planet without dying you deserve a medal. I died around 8 or 10 times before I finally found enough zinc to repair my engines.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, December 08, 2016, 12:27 (2694 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Play Elite: Dangerous. You can be the person blowing up those soaring dreams. ;)

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, December 08, 2016, 18:03 (2693 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Play Elite: Dangerous. You can be the person blowing up those soaring dreams. ;)

I've heard too many positive things about this game lately not to have at least watched a trailer.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, December 08, 2016, 18:16 (2693 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I forget, are you a Navy or an Air Force buff? If the latter, odds are you'll love this game. Most satisfying space dogfighting I've played since Freespace 2.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, December 08, 2016, 18:39 (2693 days ago) @ ZackDark

I forget, are you a Navy or an Air Force buff? If the latter, odds are you'll love this game. Most satisfying space dogfighting I've played since Freespace 2.

The flying is, indeed, glorious. Especially now that Pandora is available. Though, sadly, you can't find Liberation of Gracemeria on it.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, December 09, 2016, 09:38 (2693 days ago) @ ZackDark

They have fighters in the fleet too. :P

Navy

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, December 09, 2016, 13:09 (2693 days ago) @ ZackDark

[image]

Beat Army

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, December 09, 2016, 18:40 (2692 days ago) @ kidtsunami

[image]

too late to edit a "GO " prefix ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, December 09, 2016, 18:45 (2692 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, December 08, 2016, 12:26 (2694 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I'm having a blast in survival mode. It's hard as hell, super stressful, and really, really fun. I've died at least 16 times so far (it has a counter, so you know), of which 8-10 were before I even got off of the first planet (damn you, Zinc. Why were you so hard to find!?).

Base building is cool, and they actually thought about how to pace out goals this time around to keep you going. Survival, especially, forces you out of your ship and walking around the worlds, which is where the game really shines anyway. If you got bored with it originally, give survival a try. It's awesome.

Not to hyjack, but I was just thinking about how Mass Effect Andromeda's latest gameplay trailer had a real No Man's Sky vibe to it. Did you see it, and if so, would you comment on that?

Mass Effect Andromeda

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 09, 2016, 17:16 (2692 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Not to hyjack, but I was just thinking about how Mass Effect Andromeda's latest gameplay trailer had a real No Man's Sky vibe to it. Did you see it, and if so, would you comment on that?

I assume you're talking about this one:

It looks AMAZING.

It's certainly similar to NMS (except with good combat! And plot! Better crafting!). Hard to say if the worlds are procedurally generated and nearly infinite a'la no man's sky, or hand crafted and finite as with ME's past, or some combination thereof (more likely - I'd guess the worlds were procedurally crafted first, and then hand-adjusted to add in plot-relevant characters, locations, etc..., just based on what we're looking at in this trailer). Given the animations for the animals and their complexity (especially for the killing anims) I'm going to say that the enemies etc. are all pre-set and not generated as NMS animals are. Again, that also makes sense as they have more robust combat - you'd want a degree of control over what your enemies can do so that they can behave in more complex ways. It's possible there will be variants like in Diablo, where each enemy picks 3 from a list of 10 different abilities they could have, or something like that. Unknown and hard to tell).

Definitely has a similar collection vibe for resources, but the crafting is more complex, it seems, and the combat is obviously miles beyond NMS's very basic shooting.

In Short, I'm really damn stoked for ME:A. If they can recapture the magic of ME3's multiplayer and put that feel into a glorious NMS-style near-infinite galaxy, I'm going to be really, really, really excited. Even without near-infinite worlds, 30 or 40 can feel that big since they're clearly so large.

Mass Effect Andromeda

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, December 09, 2016, 18:57 (2692 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I don't think they are shooting for an infinite type universe. But from some of what they've said recently, the planets will be large again, maybe even bigger and better than the Mass Effect 1 procedural planets. On those planets will be things like enemy bases you can infiltrate and eventually destroy. It's been confirmed that there will also be set areas where you can establish your own outposts. It sounds like some of the squadmate loyalty missions might involve doing things on certain planets.

I think getting your hopes up for Mass Effect: No Man's Sky is a good bit too much. Instead, I'm imagining Mass Effect 1 done well. Not that I don't love Mass Effect 1, but it was clearly a first time effort compared to 2 and 3. But something of that size and scope with better planets with a good bit more to do on each one. I'll buy that! :)

Mass Effect Andromeda

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 09, 2016, 21:56 (2692 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I don't think they are shooting for an infinite type universe. But from some of what they've said recently, the planets will be large again, maybe even bigger and better than the Mass Effect 1 procedural planets. On those planets will be things like enemy bases you can infiltrate and eventually destroy. It's been confirmed that there will also be set areas where you can establish your own outposts. It sounds like some of the squadmate loyalty missions might involve doing things on certain planets.

I think getting your hopes up for Mass Effect: No Man's Sky is a good bit too much. Instead, I'm imagining Mass Effect 1 done well. Not that I don't love Mass Effect 1, but it was clearly a first time effort compared to 2 and 3. But something of that size and scope with better planets with a good bit more to do on each one. I'll buy that! :)

This is the nice thing about never pre-ordering anything: It doesn't matter how high your hopes get, because you're temperting your expectations by waiting for official reviews.

Anyway, no, I don't expect a full NMS size universe, but I am intrigued by what I have seen. There's not been very much solid info on what's actually out there, how big the worlds are (or how many there are), etc.. so it's all largely guesswork at this point and not very useful. Factually we know there are at least 7 worlds and that you can visit at least 1 of them. We also know that EA says that world is "big" but that's not a number, so it's meaningless. My 3 year old says he has big shoes. They're not big. I'm just sayin'. So we don't really know much at all.

Mass Effect Andromeda

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 14:15 (2692 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Yes, that's the vid. Thanks for the insight.

Side note: I'm pleased the very first power they showed was Biotic Charge. #VanguardisCanon

Mass Effect Andromeda

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 14:22 (2692 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

#VanguardHadToBeScoopedOffTheFloorALotInMultiplayer #TechArmorIsWhereItsAt

Mass Effect Andromeda

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 14:26 (2692 days ago) @ Ragashingo

#VanguardHadToBeScoopedOffTheFloorALotInMultiplayer #TechArmorIsWhereItsAt

#VanguardingWrong

(I insist on host if I'm going to Novaguard. Otherwise, yes, you get destroyed. :P )

Mass Effect Andromeda

by Kahzgul, Monday, December 12, 2016, 00:50 (2690 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I enjoyed that the area they were fighting in had elevated platforms and that biotic charge was able to be used tactically to get up there instead of purely aggressively.

Mass Effect Andromeda

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, December 12, 2016, 12:45 (2690 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Good point. I was too excited about charge to notice it being used intelligently. Opportunities for that were few in ME2 and ME3, but always fun.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread