Not that anyone missed me..... (Off-Topic)

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Wednesday, December 21, 2016, 23:51 (2653 days ago)

....but in case you were at all curious why I haven't been online more, THIS is why:

[image] - [image] - [image]
[image] - [image]

It's another glider project, called the "Zephyr", and I've been working on it for several months. Now, with two weeks off away at my in-laws I finally had time and space to properly mask and paint it. I desperately wanted something different and unmistakable in the sky.... I think I achieved that here. :)

The wings are vacuum-bagged carbon fiber, and they actually came out quite nice so I wanted to show their finish off a bit. To that end I masked off some portions on the top to remain bare/unpainted. Then I photoshopped an idea and bought some fluorescent paint. Today I sprayed the last color and just a few minutes ago I got brave enough to pull the masking off.

I LOVE THIS PLANE!!! XD

Ok, NOW maybe I can relax and enjoy vacation. :P See y'all soon. ;)

Very cool!

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, December 22, 2016, 04:43 (2653 days ago) @ Mid7night

I think the plane looks awesome. Hope it flies just as well for you!

Not that anyone missed me.....

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Thursday, December 22, 2016, 09:39 (2653 days ago) @ Mid7night

That's really cool - looks like a streamlined P-51. Great paint job!

Neat! What shader is that?

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, December 23, 2016, 01:40 (2652 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

What do YOU think?...

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, December 23, 2016, 02:23 (2652 days ago) @ narcogen

Maybe something along the lines of "Skyvis Neverlost". :P

You've got me thinking now about flavor text too, but I don't fancy myself much of a witty writer. I was searching thru Miami Vice quotes, looking for something catchy, but nothing really spoke to me.

I'm open to suggestions. ;)

What do YOU think?...

by Mariachi @, Kentucky, Friday, December 23, 2016, 03:01 (2652 days ago) @ Mid7night
edited by Mariachi, Friday, December 23, 2016, 03:06

How about:

Zephyr Rose

"The Titan complains about the wind, the Warlock tries to change the wind, but the Hunter adjusts the sails."

Granted, it's more of a boat theme, but you could adjust it to fit flight.

I like it...mod for aircraft

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, December 23, 2016, 03:45 (2652 days ago) @ Mariachi

Zephyr Rose

"While the Titan rails against the wind and the Warlock tries to change it, the Hunter just banks the wings."

by SteelGaribaldi @, Sol system, Saturday, December 24, 2016, 15:01 (2651 days ago) @ Mid7night

That looks awesome.

Umm, all the CFRP I'm familiar with is weakened by ultraviolet light. I don't know the timeframes or the mechanism (other than matrix degradation), but you might want to look at hobbyist experience with older carbon fiber structures. Maybe put sunscreen on it. :)

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Saturday, December 24, 2016, 15:24 (2651 days ago) @ SteelGaribaldi

That looks awesome.

Umm, all the CFRP I'm familiar with is weakened by ultraviolet light. I don't know the timeframes or the mechanism (other than matrix degradation), but you might want to look at hobbyist experience with older carbon fiber structures. Maybe put sunscreen on it. :)

Good reminder, definitely. There will be a clearcoat going on over the whole thing, I don't know its UV-resistance but it's probably better than nothing. It won't be in the sun for long periods, flights are short and I don't fly incredibly often. It'll spend the majority of its life hanging on my wall at home. :P

It also bears noting, it's not solely CF in the wing. It's foam-core, balsa-sheeted, THEN vacuum bagged with 1 layer of CF and 1 layer of light fiberglass (outer layer) for better surface finish.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread