Hey Claude, how'd that PS4 controller turn out? (DBO)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, January 01, 2017, 17:33 (2664 days ago)
edited by cheapLEY, Sunday, January 01, 2017, 17:36

This guy on reddit says it's complete junk. His stories certainly don't paint a pretty picture.

Edit: The Amazon reviews paint an equally ugly picture.

Still hasn't arrived. :(

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, January 01, 2017, 17:52 (2664 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Currently says it's arriving by January 14. Been climbing every week or two. :(

Thanks for following it up. What about the Raiju?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, January 01, 2017, 18:46 (2664 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Thanks guys for continuing to following it up.

Has anyone heard anything about the Razer Raiju or Nacon Revolution?

(Auto correct tried to make it Bacon Revolution, awesome!)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, January 01, 2017, 19:06 (2664 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Thanks guys for continuing to following it up.

Has anyone heard anything about the Razer Raiju or Nacon Revolution?

(Auto correct tried to make it Bacon Revolution, awesome!)

I don't have any source links for you, but the little I've seen points to the Nacon possibly being of better quality, but both seem to have pretty mixed reviews. Neither seem to quite compare to the Xbox Elite, but I can't say that for sure as I've not used either of them. Both certainly seem much better than that PS4 "Elite" controller, though.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, January 02, 2017, 07:11 (2663 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Both certainly seem much better than that PS4 "Elite" controller, though.

Yeah, that thing is pretty obviously a cheapo knockoff. No way it's anywhere near Razer's quality level.

I have no experience with Nacon, so no idea what to expect from them.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 02, 2017, 14:09 (2663 days ago) @ stabbim

Yeah, that thing is pretty obviously a cheapo knockoff. No way it's anywhere near Razer's quality level.

I have no experience with Nacon, so no idea what to expect from them.

I spent a bit of time looking last night, as the thread made me curious, and there aren't many opinions out there on either controller that I could fine. There a few reviews by some tech sites I've never heard of, and a few "reviews" from reddit, but certainly nothing concrete. I wouldn't feel confident buying either at this point, but it seems that it's the only way to really know what they're like.

I love my DS4 (other than it not just using AAs, damnit!) so I'm not really in the market for a new controller anyway.

If you're feeling slightly adventurous...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, January 02, 2017, 14:36 (2663 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I love my DS4 (other than it not just using AAs, damnit!) so I'm not really in the market for a new controller anyway.

Assuming that your issue is with wanting a longer battery, and not just from wanting longer charge cables, there is a fairly simple way to double the DS4's battery life.

I haven't tried swapping out a battery pack, but the DS4 is definitely the easiest controller to get into and modify (I've made it all the way to taking apart the touchpad for a simple ribbon repair). A handful of small phillips screws, and it's at your mercy...

If you're feeling slightly adventurous...

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 02, 2017, 14:50 (2663 days ago) @ Korny

Assuming that your issue is with wanting a longer battery, and not just from wanting longer charge cables, there is a fairly simple way to double the DS4's battery life.

I haven't tried swapping out a battery pack, but the DS4 is definitely the easiest controller to get into and modify (I've made it all the way to taking apart the touchpad for a simple ribbon repair). A handful of small phillips screws, and it's at your mercy..

The battery life of the DS4 is just so bad. I can burn through it with a decent session. My Xbox One controller with rechargeable Eneloops lasted literally for weeks. They're not even in the same universe.

My biggest issue was that, no matter which combination of plugs and cables I used, the DS4 would not charge from any source besides the PS4 itself, meaning I always had to get up to plug it in, and I didn't have a cable anywhere near long enough to play while it was plugged in, and I would often just be too lazy to get up and plug it in when I was done playing. First world problems, I know. But compared to just swapping in a new set of rechargeable AAs every few weeks with the Xbox One, it was definitely super annoying. I largely fixed the problem by getting a charging station that is on my night stand so I can just drop the DS4 on that when I'm done and it's fully charged and ready to go the next time I pick it up. It's been fine so far, but I can still get awfully close to depleting the battery on a decent binge (it really only seems to take a few hours).

I would definitely consider swapping in a bigger battery, by its not been enough of an issue lately for me to go through the effort. I'm bookmarking that thread to keep it handy, though!

This is why I keep 2 controllers going at all times.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 02, 2017, 17:34 (2663 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I haven't tried swapping out a battery pack, but the DS4 is definitely the easiest controller to get into and modify (I've made it all the way to taking apart the touchpad for a simple ribbon repair). A handful of small phillips screws, and it's at your mercy..

The battery life of the DS4 is just so bad. I can burn through it with a decent session. My Xbox One controller with rechargeable Eneloops lasted literally for weeks. They're not even in the same universe.

My biggest issue was that, no matter which combination of plugs and cables I used, the DS4 would not charge from any source besides the PS4 itself, meaning I always had to get up to plug it in, and I didn't have a cable anywhere near long enough to play while it was plugged in, and I would often just be too lazy to get up and plug it in when I was done playing. First world problems, I know. But compared to just swapping in a new set of rechargeable AAs every few weeks with the Xbox One, it was definitely super annoying. I largely fixed the problem by getting a charging station that is on my night stand so I can just drop the DS4 on that when I'm done and it's fully charged and ready to go the next time I pick it up. It's been fine so far, but I can still get awfully close to depleting the battery on a decent binge (it really only seems to take a few hours).

I would definitely consider swapping in a bigger battery, by its not been enough of an issue lately for me to go through the effort. I'm bookmarking that thread to keep it handy, though!

I bought one of those Energizer recharging stands that holds and charges 2 DS4 controllers. I keep my controllers in the stand whenever I'm not using them so they're always fully charged, and if I manage to kill the battery in one of them over the course of a single play session, I just throw it in the stand and grab the other one.

Energizer makes a stand for Xbox One controllers, too (which I also have). It comes with rechargeable packs that go into the controllers, and a replacement cover with a port in it so you can charge the controllers just by slipping them into the stand. Works beautifully well.

* Pro tip *

You may have done this already, but you can reduce the brightness of the LED on the DS4, which helps out with the battery life.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, January 02, 2017, 18:04 (2663 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I bought one of those Energizer recharging stands that holds and charges 2 DS4 controllers. I keep my controllers in the stand whenever I'm not using them so they're always fully charged, and if I manage to kill the battery in one of them over the course of a single play session, I just throw it in the stand and grab the other one.

Energizer makes a stand for Xbox One controllers, too (which I also have). It comes with rechargeable packs that go into the controllers, and a replacement cover with a port in it so you can charge the controllers just by slipping them into the stand. Works beautifully well.

* Pro tip *

You may have done this already, but you can reduce the brightness of the LED on the DS4, which helps out with the battery life.

If you want to have a spare controller around, the updated DS4 is on sale right now for $40. It's almost identical to the regular DS4, minus some cosmetic touches. I'd definitely recommend having a spare in the charger if you're not a fan of cables.

Updated DS4 allegedly also has a slightly better batt. life

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, January 02, 2017, 19:19 (2663 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, January 07, 2017, 18:06 (2658 days ago) @ Korny

My biggest issue was that, no matter which combination of plugs and cables I used, the DS4 would not charge from any source besides the PS4 itself, meaning I always had to get up to plug it in, and I didn't have a cable anywhere near long enough to play while it was plugged in, and I would often just be too lazy to get up and plug it in when I was done playing.

I got the 2d controller charging strategy going because the things keep breaking 1 day after the warranty, but I also can charge it with a normal USB-A to USB-B micro cable and my Anker 6 port USB thingy and si often do that word the end of a longer session. FYI.

Finally arrived.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 18:16 (2655 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Everything the guy complained about out of the box was true with mine, as well - I haven't actually played with it, but I'm not sure I should even bother, given how the rest of his predictions have panned out. :(

Ah, well. LOOKS good. Guess it's going back.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread