Starting Over Again (Off-Topic)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, January 02, 2017, 00:00 (2672 days ago)

My computer broke a few weeks before Christmas, which should explain why my only posts to the site had been *NM*'s for a while. I got it back a few days ago. Of course, all my data's gone. My most recent backup was from July(which is actually a LOT better than I expected). I've completed my (partial) restore, but I have a roadblock. My backup restored everything to its original location, under the user Morpheus. But the technician used(or created) the 'Owner' profile for his work, and the two profiles(including the recovered files, programs and settings) are separate. Is there any way I can get rid of the 'Owner' profile or move to my 'Morpheus' profile?

Oh, and the profile is all under permissions, which gets highly annoying.

Starting Over Again

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, January 02, 2017, 07:08 (2671 days ago) @ Morpheus

Is there any way I can get rid of the 'Owner' profile or move to my 'Morpheus' profile?

So it sounds like the folder C:\Users\Morpheus exists, but "Morpheus" isn't actually a current user. As in, you can't log in under that name currently. Correct?

Assuming that's correct, my opinion is that it's easiest to just make a new user called "Morpheus" and copy your files from before into that profile's folders.

But the first thing I would do is move the folder "Morpheus" somewhere else temporarily. As it stands now, if you make a new user called "Morpheus," Windows won't use the existing "Morpheus" folder for the profile, because it was already there. It'll instead make a new folder called "Morpheus.000" or something weird like that. Functionally, that's fine, but it looks weird and it would annoy me, personally.

So, once the old "Morpheus" profile folder is moved somewhere else, make a new user called "Morpheus" (if you want it to be an administrator, make it so before logging out of "Owner). Once that user logs in, Windows should create the profile folder. Just grab the stuff from your old profile folder and paste it in. I would avoid copying the AppData folder unless you REALLY need something specific out of there (which you should cherry-pick individually in that case), but you should be fine to just paste in things like these wholesale, overwriting what's there:

Contacts
Desktop
Downloads
Favorites
Media Folders (Documents, Music, etc.)

Oh, and the profile is all under permissions, which gets highly annoying.

This can be adjusted. Right-click --> Properties --> Security --> Edit. You can add a user to the permissions for the folder (hit "add," type the user name, and click "check names" to verify that you typed it right), and then define what they're allowed to do with it using the check boxes. When you hit OK, you'll typically get a prompt asking whether you want to apply changes to just the folder, or to all subfolders and files - you'll want to do subfolders and files in this case.

Fair warning: Don't hit the "deny" check box for your own user name (or a group you belong to). You can actually lose access that way.

Any luck?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 20:50 (2669 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

Any luck?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, January 05, 2017, 00:58 (2669 days ago) @ stabbim

Well, I did some digging, and I found out that the 'User' folder is actually tied to my 'Morpheus' account(name, email and all)--I guess it was renamed 'User' by the technician. I went to make another account, but they require me to put in a Microsoft e-mail address, and my main one is already in use--by this profile. I'll try to rename 'User' and see if that'll work. Otherwise, I'll have to revisit the guy and see what he did to change it.

Any luck?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 05, 2017, 13:06 (2668 days ago) @ Morpheus

He probably didn't rename the folder. He renamed the account.

The account was originally called "User," so Windows made the profile folder to match. However, when you change the account name later, it does not rename the profile folder, so they end up with different names.

I think somewhere in the bowels of Windows there is a way to change the profile folder location/name, but it's not something I've ever bothered with.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread