So, I finally played and beat DOOM (2016) (Gaming)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 02:22 (2667 days ago)
edited by CyberKN, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 02:27

Disclaimers: I played on the easiest difficulty, and don't regret it. I also had to restart after getting 2/3 the way through the campaign due to a corrupt save file, which coloured my experience a bit. I have never played a Doom campaign before.

Mechanics:
In almost every way mechanically, this is the best FPS I've played since Halo 3/ODST. It takes all the crappy modern-day staples that have been leaking out of CoD into other franchises, and tosses them out the window.

I do have a few quibbles- the vertical jump sucks, and the upgrade you get half-way through the campaign doesn't improve it much. Mantling is spotty. The starting guns become completely obsolete very quickly.

...But dang near everything else is so good that it makes up for it. Again, I haven't seen Enemy AI this fun to fight since the elites in Halo 2, or the hammer brutes in Halo 3. The run speed is the perfect balance of fast and controllable. The Guns- oh man, the guns! I never realized how much of a detriment reloading is to the flow of combat, and now that I've seen the other side I don't know how I'm going to go back. ADS is only used for guns that have scopes, but never required, much like Halos 1-4.

Level Design:
Some good, Some not so much. I think I just don't like wandering around a maze-like level after having killed everything, trying to figure out where to go to progress. Classic DOOM fans will probably enjoy that more- I had more fun when the path was obvious, and I wasn't spinning a 3D map around. Arena encounters were fun. Boss fights were a bit "meh".

Story/Mood:
Very compelling. This is about the amount of levity I wanted and got out of the first three Halo games. Codex entries are great, much better then the Grimiore in Destiny (and I don't even have to open a web browser!) Narrative is a bit simple/predictable, but simple is better than confusing or cliche. I'm not big into heavy metal or gore or the occult, but again I know that the intended audience is looking for that out of a DOOM game. Sci-fi stuff was fun, and I like the way that part of the game looks.

Final thoughts:
I hope other FPS games take as many cues as they can from this game (mechanically), including Des2ny. They set up quite a few loose ends/narrative hooks throughout, so hopefully those pay off in the sequel.

So, I finally played and beat DOOM (2016)

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 07:20 (2667 days ago) @ CyberKN

Disclaimers: I played on the easiest difficulty, and don't regret it. I also had to restart after getting 2/3 the way through the campaign due to a corrupt save file, which coloured my experience a bit. I have never played a Doom campaign before.

I have played Doom campaigns before. I also played on easy.

Mechanics:
In almost every way mechanically, this is the best FPS I've played since Halo 3/ODST. It takes all the crappy modern-day staples that have been leaking out of CoD into other franchises, and tosses them out the window.

I agree.

I do have a few quibbles- the vertical jump sucks, and the upgrade you get half-way through the campaign doesn't improve it much. Mantling is spotty. The starting guns become completely obsolete very quickly.

How dare you, I think those were great.

...But dang near everything else is so good that it makes up for it. Again, I haven't seen Enemy AI this fun to fight since the elites in Halo 2, or the hammer brutes in Halo 3. The run speed is the perfect balance of fast and controllable. The Guns- oh man, the guns! I never realized how much of a detriment reloading is to the flow of combat, and now that I've seen the other side I don't know how I'm going to go back. ADS is only used for guns that have scopes, but never required, much like Halos 1-4.

Same. Except Elites in Halo 1 -> Destiny Fallen -> Doom bad guys.

Level Design:
Some good, Some not so much. I think I just don't like wandering around a maze-like level after having killed everything, trying to figure out where to go to progress. Classic DOOM fans will probably enjoy that more- I had more fun when the path was obvious, and I wasn't spinning a 3D map around. Arena encounters were fun. Boss fights were a bit "meh".

Accurate, but I knew what I was getting into. That's pretty much doom. It's also my least favorite part, but it was much more acceptable in the 90s.

Story/Mood:
Very compelling. This is about the amount of levity I wanted and got out of the first three Halo games. Codex entries are great, much better then the Grimiore in Destiny (and I don't even have to open a web browser!) Narrative is a bit simple/predictable, but simple is better than confusing or cliche. I'm not big into heavy metal or gore or the occult, but again I know that the intended audience is looking for that out of a DOOM game. Sci-fi stuff was fun, and I like the way that part of the game looks.

Same, except I am into heavy metal, gore, and the occult. I thought that stuff was the best part. Classic!

Final thoughts:
I hope other FPS games take as many cues as they can from this game (mechanically), including Des2ny. They set up quite a few loose ends/narrative hooks throughout, so hopefully those pay off in the sequel.

I don't know if other games can at this point. One of the things Doom did was go anti cover shooter. Low on health, the way to get it back is to do a close quarters attack on the bad guys. No reloading, etc. We'd have to see new shooter franchises come from this. I don't think Destiny 2 will incorporate much of Doom's feel or features, and they shouldn't, either. They're too different.

I feel the same way about Halo 1 Elites

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 16:10 (2667 days ago) @ Funkmon

In my opinion they are still the most fun enemy Bungie has ever created. They are crafty, aggressive, they know when to back off, and they are just plain fun to fight.

I've never been satisfied fighting any other versions of the elites. All the others feel less crafty and make up for their lack of cleverness by becoming bullet sponges. Halo 1 Elites couldn't climb boxes, sure, but sometimes climbing a box in the middle of combat is a stupid move. Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun killing them in Reach and Halo 2, but they just didn't seem as intelligent in the second-to-second combat.

I'm sure that the increased complexity of level geometry has something to do with the change in behavior, but I wish they could hit that mark again. Just drop the Halo CE Elite AI into a Fallen Captain and I'd be a happy camper.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 11:22 (2667 days ago) @ CyberKN

Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much! I just picked it up myself. Doom and Titanfall 2 both get thrown around as examples of "the return of smart design & mechanics to the FPS genre in 2016" (- I'm paraphrasing, but it's a sentiment I've heard quite a few times from various critics and outlets). Hopefully we're seeing the start of a trend. I wouldn't expect most games to live up to Doom or Titanfall 2's quality bar, but maybe we'll at least see some more inventiveness across the board. The amount of attention given to the "Effect & Cause" mission in T2 alone shows that gamers are craving it.

On a semi-related note, I just started playing Gears of War 4 and I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it so far. It certainly isn't anything groundbreaking so far (I'm only a couple hours in), but the basic Gears mechanics are still rock solid, and it plays better than the countless 3rd-person cover shooter clones that have come along since the original Gears. There's also something to the design style of the world and gear and characters I enjoy playing in. Plus I'm having fun with the characters & story more than I thought I would. I doubt there's anything here that would convert people who haven't enjoyed Gears of War in the past, but anyone who was a fan in the past might want to check it out. Strong follow up so far.

2/3rds through GOW4 on Co-OP *thumbs up*

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 12:21 (2667 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 13:35 (2667 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It certainly isn't anything groundbreaking so far (I'm only a couple hours in), but the basic Gears mechanics are still rock solid, and it plays better than the countless 3rd-person cover shooter clones that have come along since the original Gears. There's also something to the design style of the world and gear and characters I enjoy playing in.

Gears 1 remains one of the best shooter campaigns I have ever experienced, especially co-op.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 14:13 (2667 days ago) @ stabbim

It certainly isn't anything groundbreaking so far (I'm only a couple hours in), but the basic Gears mechanics are still rock solid, and it plays better than the countless 3rd-person cover shooter clones that have come along since the original Gears. There's also something to the design style of the world and gear and characters I enjoy playing in.

Gears 1 remains one of the best shooter campaigns I have ever experienced, especially co-op.

Yeah, someone should really help Claude get past the Berserker early on in the game so he can see the cool parts!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 14:20 (2667 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah, someone should really help Claude get past the Berserker early on in the game so he can see the cool parts!

LOL, I volunteer. This is my chance to be one of the cool kids.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 17:54 (2667 days ago) @ stabbim

LOL, I volunteer. This is my chance to be one of the cool kids.

Heh. The time for that was... oh, I dunno, 10 years ago. :)

I've moved on.

Think Halo 3 is unpopulated enough for the 2 for 1 cheevo?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 19:10 (2666 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 19:20 (2666 days ago) @ Korny

1. Change Xbox language to Korean
2. Convince 5 other friends to change Xbox language to Korean
3. Change matchmaking preferences to Language Restricted
4. Matchmake with them
5. ...
6. Profit.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 23:53 (2666 days ago) @ ZackDark

This is why some of my achievements where in Chinese.

rofl

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 19:35 (2666 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 13:40 (2667 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much! I just picked it up myself. Doom and Titanfall 2 both get thrown around as examples of "the return of smart design & mechanics to the FPS genre in 2016" (- I'm paraphrasing, but it's a sentiment I've heard quite a few times from various critics and outlets). Hopefully we're seeing the start of a trend. I wouldn't expect most games to live up to Doom or Titanfall 2's quality bar, but maybe we'll at least see some more inventiveness across the board. The amount of attention given to the "Effect & Cause" mission in T2 alone shows that gamers are craving it.

On a semi-related note, I just started playing Gears of War 4 and I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it so far. It certainly isn't anything groundbreaking so far (I'm only a couple hours in), but the basic Gears mechanics are still rock solid, and it plays better than the countless 3rd-person cover shooter clones that have come along since the original Gears. There's also something to the design style of the world and gear and characters I enjoy playing in. Plus I'm having fun with the characters & story more than I thought I would. I doubt there's anything here that would convert people who haven't enjoyed Gears of War in the past, but anyone who was a fan in the past might want to check it out. Strong follow up so far.

Just finished it. Don't want to poison the well (and if you don't want to have your perceptions colored stop reading NOW), but I felt the same way early on and ended up feeling disappointed. Gears has always provided a decent co-op experience (the first gears broke ground in that area), but there are some difficulty spikes later that soured the game for me and my co-op buddy. I felt the need to confer with youtube at several points to get past chokepoints. For all the polish, there were also some glaring problems in different areas (like sound design) e.g. the final boss, for all his bluster, is apparently mute.

A good game, but I'm not motivated to play again except maybe as part of a co-op night.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 13:11 (2660 days ago) @ Kermit

Just finished it. Don't want to poison the well (and if you don't want to have your perceptions colored stop reading NOW), but I felt the same way early on and ended up feeling disappointed. Gears has always provided a decent co-op experience (the first gears broke ground in that area), but there are some difficulty spikes later that soured the game for me and my co-op buddy. I felt the need to confer with youtube at several points to get past chokepoints. For all the polish, there were also some glaring problems in different areas (like sound design) e.g. the final boss, for all his bluster, is apparently mute.

A good game, but I'm not motivated to play again except maybe as part of a co-op night.

So I just finished it last night. Thoroughly enjoyed the campaign from a gameplay point of view. I didn't run into the difficulty spikes that you mentioned, but I was playing on Normal (I typically play Gears games on Hardcore). I did notice the sound issues. Definitely a bit rough around the edges there. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the story was in some ways, but struggled with it on others. All in all, it got me excited for the franchise in a way that I didn't expect it to, so I'd say they did right by Gears :)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 14:30 (2667 days ago) @ CyberKN

Final thoughts:

Since others are finishing this game, I feel the need to comment on the end. Spoilers, obviously, but sticking the BFG in the final boss's face and pulling the trigger for a glory kill was hands down the most internally consistent and satisfying ending of any video game I've had the pleasure of playing. I roared laughing for a solid minute. Expectation utterly and completely satisfied.

Now that I think of it, in recent memory there isn't much other media that's come close to this.

*Threadjack* So, I finally played and beat Inside (2016)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 15:25 (2667 days ago) @ CyberKN

Disclaimers: I really enjoyed Limbo, so my expectations for this game were fairly high, although I read a hyperbolic review by the huge fanboy Ryan Mccaffrey that helped remind me to temper my expectations. That said, I was able to go into the game completely unspoiled.

Mechanics:
Identical to Limbo, so if you played that one, you know the controls, the physics, the puzzles. Not a bad thing, since it's engaging and simple without slowing the pacing of the game. I love that you can see where the hidden objects are, and figuring out how to use the tools at your disposal to reach them is often more fun than the puzzle that you're supposed to be figuring out.

I do have a few quibbles- There is a bit of frustrating design where I'd often be triggering actions and animations with the Submersible that I wasn't trying to. And sometimes there aren't any context clues for what you can and can't do, so you might be the victim of a few unfair deaths.

Level Design:
The puzzles are often too simple, which again, is good for pacing, but it's really dumbed down compared to Limbo's "Aha!"-causing brainteasers. Other than that, the levels are never confusing, and the atmosphere is always really great. Moving from area to area does feel like a natural progression, and the hidden objects are always fun to get to. Honestly, I feel like the game should have placed a greater emphasis on needing to find them, if only because many people will miss out on some of the best puzzles in the game.

Story/Mood:
Everyone says to go into the game completely blind in order to avoid spoiling "The Twist™", but I'd say that it really doesn't matter, because although there are a vague number of puzzle pieces to stitch together, the final twist comes out of nowhere, and the game does nothing to earn it or have the puzzle pieces come together enough to paint a picture afterwards. On the flipside, the game does give you enough to work with that you understand and are willing to roll with the twist, even if it doesn't answer more than a couple of questions (and one of those is left for players to interpret), but it didn't come as much of a shock as it seems to be for some people, so I don't think you should bend over backwards to avoid a gameplay twist in a game with only vague hints of a story.

I did find all of the hidden objects, and got the "secret" ending before I got to the twist, so things kind of made more sense in that context, but again, I don't think most players will bother going out of their way for this extra bit of info (and it's a lot of work for a single important detail), so the story suffers just that little bit more for it.

Final thoughts:
While I enjoyed the experience, I wouldn't call Inside a "Masterpiece". Heck, I wouldn't even say that it's better than Limbo. But the atmosphere is fantastic, and once you get to the twist, you buy into it, and everything afterwards elicits emotion very well (I sure as heck didn't spare the director's life), which I can't say for a whole lot of games that I've played recently.

I'd give it a 7/10. Well worth the $9, but not the original $20 asking price.

Thank you!

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 18:59 (2666 days ago) @ Korny

I'd been meaning to talk about it again.

I initially loved Inside (and I still like it), but months of separation and time to actually think about the game leaves me feeling differently.

Inside is perhaps the most overhyped, overrated game this year. It's pretty, it's got great atmosphere, and that's about it. The puzzles straight up suck. They're not difficult, but more than that, most of them are nearly identical. They all boil down to running from one side of the screen to the other repeatedly, either to evade an enemy or to hit a switch. It's like they had one mechanic and stretched it much too far. The only really fun part of the game was the end, and that was about four minutes long.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game, but the amount of love it got during end of the year discussions is astounding. It is nowhere near the masterpiece it's being talked up as. It's just a more visually interesting Limbo with worse, overused puzzles. And don't even get me started on the "story."

eh

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 19:55 (2666 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Glad I played it early before I was exposed to much hype, I guess.

I love the experience of playing that game. I've replayed the ending sequence more than replaying anything else this year (save Destiny, I guess) just because it's so deliciously surreal.

I didn't think the puzzles were that easy, and I found their progression well done.

Also, is it even possible to spare the director's life assuming he's who I think he is?

eh

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 21:31 (2666 days ago) @ Kermit

Glad I played it early before I was exposed to much hype, I guess.

I like to think that I'm fairly immune to hype. I'm all about judging an experience on its own merits... I mean, I loved Limbo, but I'm not going to demand that Playdead knock me for a loop every game, but if they're trying to, I won't give them a pass if they blow it.

I love the experience of playing that game. I've replayed the ending sequence more than replaying anything else this year (save Destiny, I guess) just because it's so deliciously surreal.

I replayed much of the game (sans the Submersible section) a couple of times already, even having some sections marinate in my head for a bit, and comparing story bits with possible Limbo connections. It's a really neat game, but not one that I'll be revisiting much (I'm eager to watch my siblings play through it though).

I didn't think the puzzles were that easy, and I found their progression well done.

I think only a couple of puzzles provided any challenge at all, with the Hidden Object ones being standouts (the one where you use two helmets and the submersible was my favorite). Most of the time it was as CheapLEY said; move left, move right, lift/push the obstacle, move on.

Limbo's puzzles were often layered, and took some thinking to solve. I loved the shockwave sequence, though, but that one was more about timing than puzzle-solving.

Also, is it even possible to spare the director's life assuming he's who I think he is?

Yup. If you don't lunge towards him, he slowly scoots out of the way, letting you go through the window.

eh

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 22:26 (2666 days ago) @ Korny

Yup. If you don't lunge towards him, he slowly scoots out of the way, letting you go through the window.

Now that's neat, and the sort of thing I can appreciate the game for. It's attention to detail is great.

For whatever it's worth, I played it before it was talked to death, within the first week of its release, if not within the first day or two. I enjoyed the game. I just don't think it's a 10/10 transcendental masterpiece that everyone else seems to think. My biggest issue, like I said, was the puzzles. The one with the dogs and the fence is the best example of what I'm talking about: climb the fence, pull a board, run back and climb the fence, climb the fence again, go pull a board. Three times. I got it the first time, making me do it three times is just busywork, and large chunks of the game felt like that and reuse nearly the exact same mechanic. I understood how to complete most puzzles almost immediately and then just had to go through the prcocess of actually doing it, which rarely felt fun or compelling. Worth noting is that I didn't find all the collectibles--the game simple was good enough for me to care about going back and finding them.

By no means am I saying anyone is wrong--I don't begrudge anyone their opinion about the game. I just really don't understand the hype about it.

I'm usually really accepting of games. I'm not like a lot of folks around here--I tend to avoid critically analyzing what I'm playing. I like to just play and try to experience the thing, and when I'm done, I form my opinion without really trying to justify it to myself. I like some pretty bad games and hate some that are beloved, but I tend to try and find the enjoyment in everything I play. I can excuse a lot of terrible shit if I'm enjoying myself. So, on the whole, I'm prepped to love something like Inside, but this is the rare time where I just plain don't get it. I can only say, at least it didn't overstay it's welcome like Limbo did. I don't think I'd have played for much longer than the game ended up being.

eh

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 22:53 (2666 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I like some pretty bad games and hate some that are beloved, but I tend to try and find the enjoyment in everything I play. I can excuse a lot of terrible shit if I'm enjoying myself.

I had absolutely no fun playing Uncharted, yet I logged over 100 hours into the Revenge of the Sith game on the original Xbox. So yeah, I can relate ;)

eh

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 23:39 (2666 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I like some pretty bad games and hate some that are beloved, but I tend to try and find the enjoyment in everything I play. I can excuse a lot of terrible shit if I'm enjoying myself.

I had absolutely no fun playing Uncharted, yet I logged over 100 hours into the Revenge of the Sith game on the original Xbox. So yeah, I can relate ;)

I hated Resident Evil 5. It was a terrible follow up to the masterpiece that was Resident Evil 4.
And yet, I easily have over 250 hours playing it, and I bought most of the DLC for it (even played through the entire game (and the DLCs) on the hardest difficulty with NsU Soldier, remember him?). And heck, I've been on the fence with whether or not I want to buy the remaster on PS4.

On the other hand, I love the new DOOM, but can't bring myself to play past the first few levels. It just drains me very quickly, and I go from having a blast to just wanting to change games in record time, and I have no idea why.

Thank you!

by Kahzgul, Thursday, January 05, 2017, 17:39 (2666 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Inside is perhaps the most overhyped, overrated game this year. It's pretty, it's got great atmosphere, and that's about it.

No Man's Sky would like some words with you.

Granted, NMS survival mode is *great* now, but that patch only happened several months after release.

Thank you!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, January 05, 2017, 22:58 (2665 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Inside is perhaps the most overhyped, overrated game this year. It's pretty, it's got great atmosphere, and that's about it.

Granted, NMS survival mode is *great* now, but that patch only happened several months after release.

I guess I meant post-release. No Man's Sky was hyped before it came out, but not after anyone actually played it. Inside got very little coverage before release, but the internet in general, both consumers and critics talk about it like it's the single greatest thing ever made.

I can understand why people like vanilla No Man's Sky more than I can understand why people think Inside is so good.

Thank you!

by Kahzgul, Saturday, January 07, 2017, 06:06 (2664 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I guess I meant post-release. No Man's Sky was hyped before it came out, but not after anyone actually played it. Inside got very little coverage before release, but the internet in general, both consumers and critics talk about it like it's the single greatest thing ever made.

Ahh, yes. I understand now.

I can understand why people like vanilla No Man's Sky more than I can understand why people think Inside is so good.

Having not actually played Inside, I can't speak to this. It looked like Limbo but with more colors. Is that a fair assessment? Limbo was pretty neat, though, I thought.

Thank you!

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, January 07, 2017, 13:35 (2664 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Having not actually played Inside, I can't speak to this. It looked like Limbo but with more colors. Is that a fair assessment? Limbo was pretty neat, though, I thought.

Generally speaking, yeah, I think that's fair. It is simultaneously better and worse than Limbo. There are neat sections where things in the background play an important role, and, as simple as it sounds, it feels like a real step up from Limbo. I feel like I'm in the minority on this, but I think the puzzle design is a real step down from Limbo. It doesn't rely as much on random deaths as Limbo, which is good, but the puzzles aren't particularly difficult or particularly fun to complete. Now, for whatever it's worth, I haven't played Limbo in ages, so maybe those puzzles aren't as good as I remember, but I do remember specific examples (some of the gravity changing bits) as being really clever and fun.

Thank you!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, January 07, 2017, 13:54 (2664 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I say forget anything you've heard and just play it. It doesn't take long and is best experienced in one or two sittings.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread