Edge Magazine #257 Feature

by kapowaz, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 02:47 (3895 days ago)

It'll be on shelves in a couple of days, but Edge have posted a teaser article online in advance of the publication. Nice quote from Joe Staten, which I have to say I find encouraging:

“I think we did two things well with the Halo games,” he told us. “One, we told a story that you can play by yourself or with a small group of friends. And two, we made a great hardcore, competitive game. Between those two choices we tried to do other things – Firefight, for example – but the options are very slim, and I think that’s true for most shooters. Between those two poles there’s a vast gulf of opportunities but a lack of choices. We want to very carefully bring those two communities together and open up those choices.”

I'm a subscriber, can't wait

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 04:50 (3895 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

Question for the mods

by Risay117, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 21:24 (3894 days ago) @ kapowaz

A question can we discuss what was in the magazine on this site or notÉ

Question for the mods

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 21:59 (3894 days ago) @ Risay117

A question can we discuss what was in the magazine on this site or not?

Discussion of the articles is most certainly encouraged! What's not allowed is posting scans of the article or quoting the article's text verbatim. If a magazine has content that we're interested in, it's good to support their business by buying an issue or subscription — it lets them know what we think is important so that we can have more articles to discuss in the future!

I would suggest that a good assumption to make when posting about a magazine article is to assume that everyone in the conversation has already read the article and therefore won't want a re-hash of what they just read, but instead will be interested in having an informed discussion about the value and importance of the article's content.

Woot!

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 01:45 (3894 days ago) @ kapowaz

[image]

RUSHES down the stairs of his flat

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 04:30 (3894 days ago) @ kapowaz

benefit of living in the UK I guess, timely edges
[image]

by Risay117, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 11:46 (3894 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by Risay117, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 11:50

Dammit i got an online version wonder when i will have access to mine.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 12:11 (3894 days ago) @ Risay117

Dammit i got an online version wonder when i will have access to mine.

Should be tomorrow, I think.

by Risay117, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 13:47 (3894 days ago) @ kidtsunami

So how is it. No spoilers till tomorrow.

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 13:56 (3894 days ago) @ Risay117

So how is it. No spoilers till tomorrow.

No spoilers after tomorrow either, I think you'll find.

this may be one of the most played shooter campaigns ever

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 04:54 (3894 days ago) @ kapowaz

They get a bit more into the notion of the shared world and it sounds like an absolutely amazing world to play in.

The best moments, for me, of any shooter have been when I've been playing with friends or merely friendly randoms, whether it's laughing and cajoling our way through Spartan Ops or letting out a howl of victory when we get a last second flag cap.

Oh and Edge has some of the best print designers there are, I find some of the more minimal elements of their design absolutely flawless. I stared at the inside of the cover for a good long while appreciating it.

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 06:43 (3894 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Oh and Edge has some of the best print designers there are, I find some of the more minimal elements of their design absolutely flawless. I stared at the inside of the cover for a good long while appreciating it.

Did you not find the giant B inside a circle, followed by a paragraph below it starting ‘ungie’ a bit jarring, though? I thought it was a typo for ages until I saw the B.

this may be one of the most confusing ways to start

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 06:45 (3894 days ago) @ kapowaz

a paragraph

K
idtsunami made a post on DBO.

this may be one of the most confusing ways to start

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 06:51 (3894 days ago) @ kidtsunami

a paragraph

K
idtsunami made a post on DBO.

[image]
apowaz sees what you did there.

bravo

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 07:27 (3894 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 11:23 (3894 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Yeah, that arrowhead ship flying motif is vaguely familiar…

[image]

SHOW ME THE MONEY

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 06:49 (3894 days ago) @ kapowaz

Seriously, Bungie. When are you going to actually show this game? Two months after E3 and this first hands-on with the game for anyone outside the company is a 90 second playthrough …of part of the demo you showed at E3? So many hints, but so little confirmation. I feel like you're stringing us out indefinitely, and it's leading to two possible conclusions:

1. You're awful, awful teases attempting to blue-ball us into submission.
2. The game is actually nowhere near finished enough, and you're worried that features in development won't make the cut, so you're not willing to talk about them just in case they're not in the final game.

My money is on 2. And I don't blame you if that's the case, but it makes me feel like you've started courting publicity way too early. I'd have preferred you'd stayed silent for another 6-12 months than what feels like being fed a single PEZ tablet once a month.

Anyway, I look forward to the next Edge Magazine exclusive, wherein we actually get the answers to the many, many questions we all have…

It's difficult for me...

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 07:00 (3894 days ago) @ kapowaz

...to see a game that looks so good as still being pre-alpha. I guess it's a good thing, but it's hard to see the whole picture right now.

SHOW ME THE MONEY

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 07:26 (3894 days ago) @ kapowaz

There does appear to be a meeting discussed that indicates how big the changes could possibly be.

Bungie has the luxury to really take us on a journey where they introduce us to their next big thing in very carefully planned stages.

Right now we're in the "bungie shooter/intro to shared worlds" stage and I appreciate picture they're slowly painting for us.

SHOW ME THE MONEY

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 14:16 (3894 days ago) @ kapowaz

it makes me feel like you've started courting publicity way too early.

I've wondered about this very thing... and how much of this early PR is being driven by Activision. Truth be told though, I can't recall how early we started receiving information during the Halo era. If we're likely still a year away from release, how does that compare with past PR schedules?

SHOW ME THE MONEY

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 09:09 (3893 days ago) @ Oholiab

it makes me feel like you've started courting publicity way too early.

I've wondered about this very thing... and how much of this early PR is being driven by Activision. Truth be told though, I can't recall how early we started receiving information during the Halo era. If we're likely still a year away from release, how does that compare with past PR schedules?

Halo was officially announced in 1999 at MacWorld with actually less information about story or gameplay than we currently have and was not released until 2001.

It's in their name

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 17:15 (3892 days ago) @ kapowaz

1. You're awful, awful teases attempting to blue-ball us into submission.

[image]

Well played

by kapowaz, Sunday, August 04, 2013, 16:10 (3889 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

For those without a subscription, another tidbit

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 08:15 (3894 days ago) @ kapowaz

Edge posted on their website another blurb about Bungie, this one about their inspiration from Borderlands.

So it is more like Borderlands

by Risay117, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 11:44 (3894 days ago) @ Xenos

Everyone was saying it was kind of like borderlands and now we finally know it has a mechanic or maybe the main coop setting is like Borderlands except you meet other guys making their own fire teams.

that's not what I got from the comparison

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 01:02 (3893 days ago) @ Risay117

- No text -

that's not what I got from the comparison

by Risay117, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 02:09 (3893 days ago) @ kidtsunami

True that but meh its getting a bit of everything, also after reading the magazine nothing new was really hinted on. Well i did do a quick glance will have to read it again properly later on.

not much new about the game

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 04:57 (3893 days ago) @ Risay117

but great material about their process, which tells me more about the game than a description of some gameplay or a screen shot of a new enemy.

I like games journalism that goes beyond describing games to us.

not much new about the game

by Risay117, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 11:01 (3893 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Point taken, i noticed that in the first few paragraphs, but sadly as i skimmed i did not get much, i will have to read again to understand it.

by GrimBrother IV, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 07:16 (3893 days ago) @ kapowaz

Every time I read another interveiw, I get more excited for this game. I am so anxious to see all of these things we keep hearing about come together. I certainly hope I'm not being too optimistic here, but I just can't help myself.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 09:10 (3893 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

Every time I read another interveiw, I get more excited for this game. I am so anxious to see all of these things we keep hearing about come together. I certainly hope I'm not being too optimistic here, but I just can't help myself.

Yeah I feel much the same way. I love seeing people so excited about the game they are working on, it just makes me that much more excited.

Things I got out of it

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 19:03 (3892 days ago) @ kapowaz

Honestly I think you guys are crazy. Or maybe I just had different expectations. There were a lot of details I got out of that article. Mind you they are not huge, but with the game still being in pre-alpha, that is not that surprising. Here's a few of the details I found:

* Public events are cyclical. "You could hang out and enjoy them again and again and again - forever, I guess."
* In general outdoor open areas will be public space. That is a LOT of public space.
* Engine maximum for map size right now is 2 kilometers.
* Areas that will be closed at one moment will be open later.
* Crafting system was all but confirmed.
* You collect upgrade materials to upgrade loot.
* If you hang out in a public area for an hour they expect you could run into 50-100 people.
* At least in their development build they can play while the servers are offline.
* Bungie is working on powers and abilities to distinguish classes. The Warlock's glide is used as an example.

That of course doesn't include the tidbits about their game design philosophy, which there are many more, but I think that's quite a bit of new information for a game that could be more than a year out.

Things I got out of it

by broony, Friday, August 02, 2013, 01:17 (3892 days ago) @ Xenos

Just to put the 2km by 2km in context I looked up what size the GTA IV map was which was around 3km by 3km.

So that is a fairly big map for a FPS, mixed with the fact there will be multiple maps, that is a lot of content to be produced and a lot of space to loose myself in.

Things I got out of it

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 02, 2013, 01:42 (3892 days ago) @ Xenos

* Engine maximum for map size right now is 2 kilometers.

WTF? Crash Bandicoot 3, a game for the PLAYSTATION1 had actual geometry draw distance of 3 km. This seems really disappointing…

* At least in their development build they can play while the servers are offline.

So why must we always be connected then?

That of course doesn't include the tidbits about their game design philosophy,

Fill me in on that! That's the juice.

Things I got out of it

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 02, 2013, 08:26 (3892 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah Crash Bandicoot 3 did have that big of a playspace, but this is going to have (at least) dozens of playspaces that size from what I'm understanding with a lot better graphics and more going on and massive multiplayer parts and dynamic lighting with day/night cycles. Regardless though of the argument on whether 3km is good or not, I am sure when the next-gen only Destiny 2 comes out the maximum map size will be significantly bigger.

Also, I will try to write something up about the game design tidbits when I have time this weekend.

Things I got out of it

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 02, 2013, 10:29 (3892 days ago) @ Xenos

Also, I will try to write something up about the game design tidbits when I have time this weekend.

I did read the article, and I had to cringe when Joe said he liked Borderlands.

Things I got out of it

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 02, 2013, 11:59 (3892 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I did read the article, and I had to cringe when Joe said he liked Borderlands.

Yeah... as much as I like disagreeing with you Cody, I have to agree. From reading it though it seems he mostly appreciated the open world and co-op.

Things I got out of it

by broony, Friday, August 02, 2013, 09:22 (3892 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah all games since crash bandicoot 3 suck because they have smaller than 3 km draw distances. That is the target all games must exceed regardless of the type, scope and graphical fidelity of the game in question. Gotta beat crash.

U GOT SERVED

by kapowaz, Sunday, August 04, 2013, 16:07 (3889 days ago) @ broony

- No text -

Things I got out of it

by kapowaz, Sunday, August 04, 2013, 16:08 (3889 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Buy the magazine you damned cheapskate.

Things I got out of it

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 04, 2013, 16:42 (3889 days ago) @ kapowaz

Buy the magazine you damned cheapskate.

Why would I support print game journalism when it is all terrible?

Things I got out of it

by kapowaz, Sunday, August 04, 2013, 17:07 (3889 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why would I support print game journalism when it is all terrible?

Cody logic at its best again.

Things I got out of it

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, August 04, 2013, 17:14 (3889 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But you want to know the information only the magazine has so far, right?

A few more that I liked

by electricpirate @, Friday, August 02, 2013, 09:18 (3892 days ago) @ Xenos

A few more that I thought could be important

* Alien Factions don't get along, and you can turn them on each other/ use them in your battle plans
*AI seems to be a big focus "Destiny's Designers will fight a single infinately spawning enemy inside a test environment until behaviors are perfected"
* Mix of linear and open spaces. Designed around circulation, so it sounds like areas in the world will be re-used to some degree as you traverse through for different reasons. Less of a "Hub and spoke Design" of something like Oblivion, where you have a big hub, and descend into linear spokes and come back out.
* Fireteam limit currently at 3 in order to avoid "Clown town" where the fastest players just skip ahead of everyone, and the pace of the game goes crazy and you miss everything.
*There's a fun anecdote about how important the connected nature of the world is, where one designer describes how his son one night realized there was no one left and decided it was time for bed.
* Seemed to Poo poo the idea of level scaling, there are things that will be too strong for you, that you have to come back for. (SOUND THE CODY ALARM)

It reall seems like the design of destiny is about getting people to play together in productive ways. Whether it's getting a small fireteam together, or getting you into these public events to play alongside your fellow guardians, destiny is a game that needs to be played with others.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread