How are you guys still playing Destiny? (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 23:55 (2634 days ago)

- No text -

I'm not

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 23:59 (2634 days ago) @ petetheduck

Mostly.

I played a lot over break, then once or twice after getting home after the new year, but I haven't touched it since. I don't see myself playing until some new development is announced, at the earliest.

Keeping myself occupied with airplanes. :D

*much

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 01:44 (2634 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

Did Nightfall three times yesterday. It was fun.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 23:59 (2634 days ago) @ petetheduck

I was actually pulled out of Warframe for it too. Good times!

Lessee... fire up Xbox, select Destiny, hit 'start'...

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 00:06 (2634 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

by petetheduck, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 00:25 (2634 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You forgot the part where you hit the hamburger button and Quit Destiny because it timed out in low power mode and won't let you sign in.

But you know what I meant :/

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 12:55 (2633 days ago) @ petetheduck

low power mode

LOL no

Instructions unclear. Xbox on fire.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 02:34 (2634 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

How are you guys still playing Destiny?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 01:39 (2634 days ago) @ petetheduck

How? I enjoy picking people up and saving the day in Heroic Strikes. And I'll on occasion jump into Crucible or a Raid if a DBOer needs help. That's mostly how I play Destiny these days. :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 02:15 (2634 days ago) @ Ragashingo

How? I enjoy picking people up and saving the day in Heroic Strikes. And I'll on occasion jump into Crucible or a Raid if a DBOer needs help. That's mostly how I play Destiny these days. :)

Why don't you help me out? It's be really great if you could play my Warlock and Titan every day for me, grinding out faction rep so they all get to 25 for the exotic class items. Should only take a few months.

Thanks in advance.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 03:08 (2634 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Sure thing. Just give me your password. Everything will be fine. Trust me.

With some difficulty.

by DEEP_NNN, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 02:41 (2634 days ago) @ petetheduck

Our Tues raid team just finished getting the last member his Outbreak Prime. Most of us are aged 50ish to 70ish.

We still have lots of old friends who want to complete the raid.

We're experimenting with hard mode.

Some life left in this game. Icebreaker still eludes most of us.

With some difficulty.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 19:04 (2633 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Our Tues raid team just finished getting the last member his Outbreak Prime. Most of us are aged 50ish to 70ish.

We still have lots of old friends who want to complete the raid.

We're experimenting with hard mode.

Some life left in this game. Icebreaker still eludes most of us.

If you need another old hand, don't hesitate to hit me up. I've long wanted to play with you all. I met the age requirement a while ago!

With some difficulty.

by DEEP_NNN, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 19:43 (2633 days ago) @ Kermit

You follow me (DEEP NNN)and I'll follow you. :)

Technically, this isn't the same over age 50 Halo group you've heard about. I still tend to play with those same people who moved to Destiny from Halo. Age is more of a reality than an exclusive requirement. :)

Willing to help :)

by Lawnmower172, Thursday, January 12, 2017, 02:29 (2633 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

And close to age req? #49

Close enough.

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, January 12, 2017, 11:05 (2633 days ago) @ Lawnmower172

- No text -

Added you

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 12, 2017, 15:08 (2632 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

- No text -

Ditto

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, January 12, 2017, 18:00 (2632 days ago) @ Kermit

Feel free to join me. From there you'll meet more (generally older, no kids)friends. I'm on Atlantic time. Eastern + 1.

I'm not

by Avateur @, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 03:34 (2634 days ago) @ petetheduck

I thoroughly enjoyed SRL (though a lot of my play time wasn't on my own Xbox or account), so the winter event was fun more or less. But beyond that, Overwatch exists. I'm mostly just waiting for Destiny 2 at this point. I recently got Battlefield 1, but I haven't even started it up yet.

I suppose it also doesn't help that I finally got Netflix. There are some seriously great shows on there, not to mention movies that I didn't get a chance to see before or are Netflix exclusive. I'm not binge watching things, so that helps to spread it out and take up more time that I suppose could have been used for gaming.

I am feeling somewhat in the mood to do Crucible, so we should try to find some time to do that in the coming week or two.

Also, you never told us how you're playing Destiny (or not). :P

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 06:31 (2634 days ago) @ petetheduck

Without my computer, I've realized how CRIPPLED I am without DIM. My play for a while has been sparingly. I've been making up for lost time by playing Burnout Paradise. It's like a Jason Bourne car chase ALL THE TIME. It's awesome. ;-)

Meh.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 06:42 (2634 days ago) @ petetheduck

I visit now and then, but play destiny? What is there to play? I've done everything I conceivably wanted to do in every conceivable fashion. Some of this is expected with Bungie design sensibilities of reusing everything as much as possible, but now... there are other games. Other worlds. Other Experiences. ... and it's actually fun.

Right now I'm kicking ass in Overwatch Season 3 Ranked. I still have to finish up Witcher 3 Main story (I'm on the Skellige Isles). I recently started Ori and the Blind Forest. Wow... that game really is really pretty. Wow! There is also the endless gameplay of Skyrim and Fallout 4 which I would like to do. In March I'll be giving Mass Effect Andromeda a whirl, becuse even through then ending of three may have been... whatever it is, Mass Effect is by far one of my most cherished gameplay experiences. I'm talking Cody-Deus-Ex-One levels over here. The little bit they have shown has me... ready for another adventure.

So...

Why would I be playing Destiny? I can only hope that Bungie makes that question a mantra in the coming mouths ahead.

Meh?

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 11:53 (2633 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

It has a become a strange world in which admitting that one plays other games is evidence of failure on the part of Bungie's designers, and that visiting once in awhile is not "playing" a game, and having done everything you want is somehow a disappointment.

I don't get it.

Indeed.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 13:07 (2633 days ago) @ narcogen

It has a become a strange world in which admitting that one plays other games is evidence of failure on the part of Bungie's designers, and that visiting once in awhile is not "playing" a game, and having done everything you want is somehow a disappointment.

I don't get it.

Yeah, it is interesting how expectations and perceptions seem to have changed a bit in recent years. Destiny started its third year several months ago but is still being heavily supported. That just didn't happen with Bungie's Halos. We'd get multiplayer playlist updates, sure, but not the ongoing addition of features and content that we've seen with Destiny. If anything, there's much more reason to be playing Destiny this late into its life than there was for any of the Halos.

I'm actually curious if we talking about this more because Destiny is now "old" or because Destiny wasn't what some (many?) expected or wanted it to be. And, if Destiny had met more expectations would it being "old" matter nearly as much.

I guess in the end I feel the question of how people can still be playing and some of the answers, mine above included, are both a little loaded. The question, because people play older games all the time without being looked down upon, and some of the answers because it's likely that most of us don't just play Destiny and nothing but Destiny. I myself have played the following this month alone:

- Destiny
- The Witcher 3
- Child of Light
- Titanfall 2
- Life is Strange
- Mass Effect 3
- And probably some other stuff...

So really, the answer to the question of how can I still play Destiny is that its a fun, easy to slip into game that I enjoy when I either want to play it and sometimes when I don't feel like playing other things. :)

Indeed.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 17:16 (2633 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'm actually curious if we talking about this more because Destiny is now "old" or because Destiny wasn't what some (many?) expected or wanted it to be. And, if Destiny had met more expectations would it being "old" matter nearly as much.

Speaking of expectation...

I remember one of their videos saying something like (paraphrase) "Wouldn't it be nice to have a persistent world that's always there for you?" Which technically is true...if you don't mind constantly grinding for not that great of payout. It's a game where difficulty and rewards are directly related. For a player like me...it would be fun to have a quest line that might take a months or more to unlock. "Complete 500 patrols" "Kill 25,000 enemies" And at the end you get something great. Then when I'm grinding during these lulls, it's still counting for something.

But the one that irritates me the most was when they said (paraphrase) "There will be so much customization. This is the most customization we've ever done." Yet it took me 3 years to finally create a character with the colors I wanted. Their idea of "customization" is not quite accurate.

But still...after three years, it's still fun to play. And to still be competitive with all the other stuff out there, says a lot.

Indeed.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 17:21 (2633 days ago) @ ManKitten

Yeah, its kinda sad that "customization" changed from "here's some logos and patterns, and here's your primary, secondary, and accent colors, have fun" to "You are now limited to these x number of preset options."

Long term goals sound nice on the surface, and they might be nice, but there are also people who do G-R-I-N-D to achieve everything as fast as possible while complaining about it all the way. I think I might be happy not giving them a month long counter to complain about, you know?

Meh?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 14:26 (2633 days ago) @ narcogen

Part of it is because Destiny is one of those so called AAA+ games, which was designed to be played frequently and in perpetuity.

So you're still playing The Last of Us, then?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 14:40 (2633 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Part of it is because Destiny is one of those so called AAA+ games, which was designed to be played frequently and in perpetuity.

You might want to check the Wikipedia page on 'false equivalence'.

Whatever blurry lines define a game to be AAA[+] do not also require the game to be played often and for a long time. I'm sure that's a goal for many games, regardless of their "budget classification" (or whatever you want to call it).

To my point in the subject line: The Last of Us is a fantastic AAA game, but it doesn't change much from playthrough to playthrough. You can change the difficulty setting and play it on successively harder modes, but that's about it, so the replayability is inherently limited. And that's okay. It's intended to be like that.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 15:32 (2633 days ago) @ Beorn

What does the last of us have to do with this? AAA+ is basically defined as a game that wants to suck your attention and be the only game you play for a long time. You are right: the Last of Us is not that. It is AAA. Part of what makes Naughty Dog great is that they do not develop AAA+.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 15:42 (2633 days ago) @ Cody Miller

AAA+.

I have literally never heard that term in my life. These debates with you aren't fun when you just make shit up and assume everyone knows what the hell you're talking about. You're pretty good at dropping vague statements with even more vague terms and just hoping people know exactly what you mean.

With that out of the way, I think you're right. Destiny is criticized for lack of content and not giving players enough to do, because it's clearly a game designed to keep people playing for as long as possible, as opposed to games with traditional campaigns that end and don't give you reasons to go back and grind forever.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 15:47 (2633 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I posted about AAA+ before, so I kind of assumed it would be clear what I was talking about it. Just do a search and the thread will come up. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 17:05 (2633 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I didn't mean for that to come off as dickish as it probably did, so sorry about that.

I guess I'm not clear on the AAA/AAA+ distinction

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 15:42 (2633 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What does the last of us have to do with this? AAA+ is basically defined as a game that wants to suck your attention and be the only game you play for a long time. You are right: the Last of Us is not that. It is AAA. Part of what makes Naughty Dog great is that they do not develop AAA+.

Is AAA+ an actual industry term these days? I sort of thought it just meant, "even more ridiculous budget and production quality."

In Cody's defense, it IS a real term used by "the biz"...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 15:54 (2633 days ago) @ Beorn

...it's just so rarely used that the 5th search result on Google is actually a previous post by Cody, and that appears to actually be the first of the search results actually talking about AAA+ games.

[image]

No, you're thinking of AAAA games:

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 16:14 (2633 days ago) @ Beorn

lol

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 16:31 (2633 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 17:17 (2633 days ago) @ Beorn

Well... Wikipediaknows about both definitions of AAA+... It is kinda a stupid name for "a game that has microtransactions or something" though. Way too easily confused with a game whose production value / budget goes beyond that of even a AAA class game.

Even then, just because a game offers you new content (or hats) periodically doesn't mean you have to take the game up on that offer. As some of us have been saying for a long, long time now:

• Play as long as its fun.
  • Stop when it isn't.
  • Come back when there's something new that would make it fun for you again.
  • Repeat

This whole "problem", as Cody puts it, where our favorite games keep getting new content and features really deserves to be carried away in a Whambulance...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 17:30 (2633 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Well... Wikipediaknows about both definitions of AAA+... It is kinda a stupid name for "a game that has microtransactions or something" though. Way too easily confused with a game whose production value / budget goes beyond that of even a AAA class game.

Even then, just because a game offers you new content (or hats) periodically doesn't mean you have to take the game up on that offer. As some of us have been saying for a long, long time now:

• Stop when it isn't.
  • Repeat

This whole "problem", as Cody puts it, where our favorite games keep getting new content and features really deserves to be carried away in a Whambulance...

To be fair to all sides of this discussion, there IS a big difference between a game like Destiny vs a game like Halo or The Last of Us when it comes to our ability as players to just pick it up and play whenever we want. Destiny requires lots of playtime to stay "current". Case in point; I used to play Trials all the time with TheeChaos. But right now, if I texted him and said "hey do you feel like playing Trials this weekend?", he can't. He hasn't played since the early days of RoI, so none of his characters above ~350 light. So he literally can't just jump back in to play the activity he might want to play for a few hours. Destiny doesn't allow that.

I'm not going to get into whether or not that is a good thing. I've rambled about that plenty in other threads :)
I just want to point out that the suggestion that you can simply pick up and play Destiny at any time is partially disengenuous. You CAN, but there are some major caviots. Didn't Dogcow say he'd pretty much stopped playing for that very reason? He'd "fallen behind", and was finding it more and more challenging to get people to play with at his point in the game's progression?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 18:27 (2633 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

• Stop when it isn't.
  • Repeat

To be fair to all sides of this discussion, there IS a big difference between a game like Destiny vs a game like Halo or The Last of Us when it comes to our ability as players to just pick it up and play whenever we want. Destiny requires lots of playtime to stay "current". Case in point; I used to play Trials all the time with TheeChaos. But right now, if I texted him and said "hey do you feel like playing Trials this weekend?", he can't. He hasn't played since the early days of RoI, so none of his characters above ~350 light. So he literally can't just jump back in to play the activity he might want to play for a few hours. Destiny doesn't allow that.

I'm not going to get into whether or not that is a good thing. I've rambled about that plenty in other threads :)
I just want to point out that the suggestion that you can simply pick up and play Destiny at any time is partially disengenuous. You CAN, but there are some major caviots. Didn't Dogcow say he'd pretty much stopped playing for that very reason? He'd "fallen behind", and was finding it more and more challenging to get people to play with at his point in the game's progression?

It requires more time to stay at the very edge of competitive play, yes.

But the game modes where Light Level matters all have close variants that you can just pick up and play. Trials --> Elimination (when the playlist is available). Iron Banner (when the playlist is available) --> Whatever Crucible playlist you want. Things like Strikes also come in various flavors that allow for new or infrequent players to play them.

It may not hold true at every single point in the entire 0 - 400 progression, but generally if you've played enough to make a Strike or Mission show up on your Director you've played enough to play the base levels of all of Destiny's content.

In the end, the other way to look at things is that Destiny offers several different core activities (short missions, Strikes, various multiplayer modes) and then offers additional challenges to reach for in each of those modes if and when a player wants to reach for them.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 18:55 (2633 days ago) @ Ragashingo

• Stop when it isn't.
  • Repeat

It requires more time to stay at the very edge of competitive play, yes.

But the game modes where Light Level matters all have close variants that you can just pick up and play. Trials --> Elimination (when the playlist is available). Iron Banner (when the playlist is available) --> Whatever Crucible playlist you want. Things like Strikes also come in various flavors that allow for new or infrequent players to play them.

It may not hold true at every single point in the entire 0 - 400 progression, but generally if you've played enough to make a Strike or Mission show up on your Director you've played enough to play the base levels of all of Destiny's content.

In the end, the other way to look at things is that Destiny offers several different core activities (short missions, Strikes, various multiplayer modes) and then offers additional challenges to reach for in each of those modes if and when a player wants to reach for them.

I've touched on this before, but the bad situation I find myself in is that my favorite activities in Destiny are very much Light Level dependent. Namely Trials, Hard Mode raids, Nightfalls. It's not crucial to be MAX level to play those activities, but you do need to be pretty darn close. And if I want to really enjoy those activities to their full potential, I need to get wide breadth of my gear leveled up close to max level. I don't use the word hate very often, but I hate it when I'm playing Trials, and I want to try a different strategy which would require using a different combination of weapons and/or armor, but I can't because I don't have those specific pieces of gear leveled up high enough. It frustrates me to no end. So if I want to freely enjoy Trials, or the other end-game activities, I need enough gear maxed out that I can just play and swap weapons and mess around with different exotics and just not ever need to think about the stupid light level.

The real kicker is that by the time I've played enough of the game to get my gear up to that end-game light level, I've replayed the same few strikes so many times that I'm totally sick of them. Same with the crucible. Iron Banner is so lucrative that I play more of it than I want to, just in order to cut the grind as short as possible.

I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but if Destiny didn't force this painfully slow grind into its end game, I think it would be a drastically better game. Just imagine a world where you could play the story missions, play the strikes, maybe complete a few post-story quests, and then BAM you're free to raid and do trials and whatever else you want without worrying at all about your level progression or playing activities you don't want to play because they're the only way to get the drops you need in order to reach the activities you do want to play.

I imagine that world sometimes... and it's beautiful :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 19:02 (2633 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think we should take dogcow through the raid and help him out. After all, even if he dies we are pros at 5 manning aksis!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 19:22 (2633 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think we should take dogcow through the raid and help him out. After all, even if he dies we are pros at 5 manning aksis!

I would like this. :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 19:34 (2633 days ago) @ dogcow

I would like this. :)

Make an event and we will fill it up.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 19:22 (2633 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Not entirely, but that was a large contributor. There's a lot of reasons I'm not playing Destiny at the moment. It's a variety of things including falling behind, VR, a shiny new race wheel, NES Classic, the holidays, and crunch time at work. However, being so far behind has been a major obstacle which has prevented me from picking up Destiny again. I don't feel like I'm high enough light to do nightfalls & hardmode raid. Other problems are that I don't know what quests remain nor how to get them started. I have a feeling there's a lot I haven't done, yet I have no idea what that is.

Being behind was a deterrent, now it's a reason not to play.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 17:50 (2633 days ago) @ Ragashingo

• Stop when it isn't.
  • Repeat

Tell that to a gambling addict. It may sound hyperbolic, but Destiny pretty clearly is designed in such a way that it preys on its players in basically the same manner. Even its microtransactions are literally gambling. As someone who legitimately struggled for a period with balancing playing games and real life, it's astounding to me that anyone could defend the way Destiny treats its players. You can say stop when it's not fun all you want, but that is not the message Destiny itself ingrains in its players.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 18:54 (2633 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Tell that to a gambling addict.

It may sound hyperbolic, but Destiny pretty clearly is designed in such a way that it preys on its players in basically the same manner.

As someone who legitimately struggled for a period with balancing playing games and real life, it's astounding to me that anyone could defend the way Destiny treats its players. You can say stop when it's not fun all you want, but that is not the message Destiny itself ingrains in its players.

At some point people have to takes responsibility for their own actions and happiness. That's just as true of gamblers as it is of gamers.

Even its microtransactions are literally gambling.

Yes, some of them are. And I think that should stop. Or, at the very least, everything you can get from gambling should be purchasable directly for a comparable price. I would pay directly for the Halloween ghost Ghost, but I refuse to pay money to buy a thing that gives me random items that may or may not include the one I am wanting.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 22:45 (2633 days ago) @ Ragashingo

At some point people have to takes responsibility for their own actions and happiness. That's just as true of gamblers as it is of gamers.

You're not wrong about that, but that's easier said than done for some. I feel pretty strongly that Destiny is designed to make that difficult, and that's not cool.

I think that's where some of my real issues with Destiny come from. It's a culmination of everything about it--not getting the single player campaign with great encounters that I wanted, the raids (and Trials and IB, even though I don't personally care about those) being locked behind hours of grinding to get to the right light level, the fact that customization options are locked behind a paywall, and that some of those paywalls are just blind boxes with no guarantees . . . it all adds up to a game that I feel actively disrespects its players and basically tells them they always have to put in more time to get the cool things they want.

I know that's not a problem for a lot of you, and that you don't chase gear or light levels. I wish I could do that, but I can't. If there's a cool gun in a game, I want to play with that cool gun, and I honestly think it's bullshit that the designers tell me I can't until I put in some arbitrary amount of time and get lucky enough to get it. It's not only stupid, it's indefensible as far as I'm concerned.

Now, obviously I'm a hypocrite, as I made a post about how Destiny should be more like Diablo III a few months ago, and that game is as grindy and luck based as games get. But it embraces it. Destiny half-asses it, to the point that it's not satisfying as a good campaign shooter or a loot based shooter. Diablo (and Borderlands) shower you with loot constantly. Not all of it's good, much of it isn't, but it still feels good to see a screen literally littered with new weapons and armor. If Destiny fully embraced its shitty grindy nature and did the same thing, I'd feel better about it (even though I'd obviously just prefer they get rid of it altogether). Diablo and Borderlands somehow make the grind that I hate in Destiny actively fun and rewarding. And yeah, I know I was just talking about how shitty and player hostile that is (and it is!), but goddamnit, at least they make it worthwhile.

Destiny wants to have it both ways and fails on both counts.

I truly feel thankful that I was able to resist purchasing Rise of Iron and jumping back in. And that's a pretty shitty thing to feel about a video game that I really like. I'm literally thankful that I don't feel the draw to play it anymore. I really wish I could engage with Destiny in that way you do Raga, or the way Claude does, but I can't. I'd love to drop back in and help dogcow run some raids, but I'd have the problem Cruel is talking about where none of my characters are above 250 since I started over on PS4, so I'd be useless with a few hours of grinding out strikes, and I'd honestly rather do just about anything else in the world than grind out strikes. If this was still Halo, I could just jump in and play with him, but Destiny refuses to just let its players do what they want.

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant. I think maybe I'll bow out of discussions about this stuff for a while, because I sound like a broken record, and every time it comes up I get a little more sad, disappointed, and sort of angry, and that sucks.

Destiny is not gambling

by squidnh3, Thursday, January 12, 2017, 00:41 (2633 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Tell that to a gambling addict. It may sound hyperbolic, but Destiny pretty clearly is designed in such a way that it preys on its players in basically the same manner. Even its microtransactions are literally gambling.

I feel pretty strongly that Destiny is not in the same league as gambling. Gambling works on the premise you are paying a small amount for a small chance at a massive payoff. Since humans are hard-wired to be bad at probability, they often are unable to do the math and easily fall into the fallacy that the next chance will be the big one, for sure, and everything will be okay. That's how people lose their life savings.

In Destiny, you are paying (in time or money) for a chance at something that has no value beyond a moment of temporary fun. This is obvious. Humans are much better at evaluating real value rather than expected value, so the hook isn't nearly as strong. To me, Destiny's system seems designed to encourage fun experiences with other players and the community, nothing at all like the preying you describe.

Not to say that video games cannot be addictive, but I do not believe they are addictive in the same manner as gambling for the above reasons. A good friend of mine failed out of college because of his Halo 3 addiction, and frankly I don't think he would ever blame the game itself for that. The addictive nature of video games is the escapism and direction they provide to someone who his struggling with other things, and that is hardly unique to Destiny.

Disagree

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, January 12, 2017, 07:13 (2633 days ago) @ squidnh3

Disagree

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, January 12, 2017, 14:28 (2632 days ago) @ slycrel

I disagree with some of what is said in that article...

I'd never say that Skinner-box game design is inherently bad, but there are a lot of places where it's clearly abused, or used clumsily. Adding a Skinner box to a strong set of mechanics is fine.

I somewhat disagree with that statement, not super strongly mind you, but I still disagree. Goodness, I still play Destiny despite my disagreement. However, I think Destiny would be a better game with less random reward. Random reward, while it sounds fun to me, puts a bitter taste in my mouth when I experience it or give it some serious thought. My mind goes back to the early 2000's, I think of Diablo and my roommates and their friends who were obsessed with Diablo. Fortunately the game didn't appeal to me and I was able to see how completely hooked they were... They had been turned into rats in a cage trained to click a button. Now Diablo without the random reward wouldn't be nearly the same game. The gameplay and story might sustain one through a single playthrough, but I doubt you'd see more than a few people playing through the game repeatedly.

Aside: I'd seriously love to see a study of people playing Dark Souls to see if some people get most of their dopamine from the moment-to-moment successful dodges and strikes, while others get the larger rewards from major milestones like completing boss fights, acquiring weapons, or reaching new content. I don't have anything to back this up, other than the fact that it would retroactively make every Dark Souls flame war make a lot more sense. The divide between Dark Souls fans and Dark Souls haters is so intense, and people cross lines so rarely, that I suspect there might be some physiology involved.

I believe we could simply replace Dark Souls with Destiny and that paragraph would be perfect fit. I think it would be VERY interesting to do a study on people here & see if there's a correlation to their physiological response to playing Destiny and their attitudes/opinions about the game. I think he's right, there's probably an actual physiological reason why some are turned off by Destiny while others aren't.

Disagree

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, January 12, 2017, 15:07 (2632 days ago) @ dogcow

I disagree with some of what is said in that article...

I'd never say that Skinner-box game design is inherently bad, but there are a lot of places where it's clearly abused, or used clumsily. Adding a Skinner box to a strong set of mechanics is fine.

I somewhat disagree with that statement, not super strongly mind you, but I still disagree. Goodness, I still play Destiny despite my disagreement. However, I think Destiny would be a better game with less random reward. Random reward, while it sounds fun to me, puts a bitter taste in my mouth when I experience it or give it some serious thought. My mind goes back to the early 2000's, I think of Diablo and my roommates and their friends who were obsessed with Diablo. Fortunately the game didn't appeal to me and I was able to see how completely hooked they were... They had been turned into rats in a cage trained to click a button. Now Diablo without the random reward wouldn't be nearly the same game. The gameplay and story might sustain one through a single playthrough, but I doubt you'd see more than a few people playing through the game repeatedly.

Aside: I'd seriously love to see a study of people playing Dark Souls to see if some people get most of their dopamine from the moment-to-moment successful dodges and strikes, while others get the larger rewards from major milestones like completing boss fights, acquiring weapons, or reaching new content. I don't have anything to back this up, other than the fact that it would retroactively make every Dark Souls flame war make a lot more sense. The divide between Dark Souls fans and Dark Souls haters is so intense, and people cross lines so rarely, that I suspect there might be some physiology involved.

I believe we could simply replace Dark Souls with Destiny and that paragraph would be perfect fit. I think it would be VERY interesting to do a study on people here & see if there's a correlation to their physiological response to playing Destiny and their attitudes/opinions about the game. I think he's right, there's probably an actual physiological reason why some are turned off by Destiny while others aren't.

I think there is a direct correlation between the elements of Destiny that each of us enjoy, whether or not those elements are part of the game's skinner box design, and our frustrations with the game (or lack there of). As I've said many times, 99% of Destiny's replay value (for me) comes from the gear. Playing with the different weapons and armor, experimenting with different builds and playstyles... THAT is a huge part of what makes this game enjoyable to me. Which also explains why I have so many frustrations with the game. A large portion of what I want from Destiny is trapped behind RNG and/or light level barriers, both of which only serve to artificially inflate my playtime with the game. Get that stuff out of the way, and I would almost certainly spend fewer hours playing Destiny. But, I would enjoy my time with the game far more than I do now.

On the flip side, there are plenty of people who get their enjoyment from Destiny simply by playing the story missions, running the occasional strike or crucible session... I wish that was the part of Destiny that I enjoyed. For me, those activities just aren't very fun on their own. There is not enough variety or depth inherent in the activities to make me ever want to play them. I need to bring my own variety to them through new and different pieces of gear.

Any time this topic comes up, my mind jumps back to what Jason Jones said a couple years back about making a game that people could replay over and over and over, like they did with Halo, but give them little rewards or new things to accomplish along the way. And I still think that idea is fantastic. However, when it comes to Destiny's execution, I don't think Bungie created a game that is anywhere near as fun or replayable as Halo was (subjective, of course). The rewards have become the very thing that drives the desire to replay most of the content. For some players, it is very difficult to think of loot drops as "a fun little reward" when the loot is the only reason you're playing.

It's also worth pointing out that I'm not talking about completionists who want to get loot just to have it. The reason I care about getting certain gear is because I want to play with it. So withholding that behind an RNG wall, and then making that gear obsolete due to unnecessary light level inflations is a particularly player unfriendly 1-2 punch.

Disagree

by squidnh3, Thursday, January 12, 2017, 20:51 (2632 days ago) @ slycrel

My hypothesis (which could certainly be proven wrong) is that Destiny is not equivalently "shady" to gambling because when you are playing Destiny (or participating in microtransactions) it is abundantly clear you will not be getting your investment (time or money) back. You can get something else that is rewarding to specifically you, but you cannot get back what you put in. Gambling works on the premise that you can come out on top if you take one more chance.

This seems to me to be a fundamental difference between the two activities, one that the linked article does not address (and appears to implicitly assume that the type of reward is irrelevant). Additional cursory research didn't shed any further light on that question.

by jon, Saturday, February 04, 2017, 09:37 (2610 days ago) @ Beorn

I play about once a week just to see some friends. dogsrox.blogspot.com is my favorite site for dog information.

Meh? +1

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 14:35 (2633 days ago) @ narcogen

I don't get it.

I haven't played in a while, just been too busy, and other things like my NES Classic have been calling my name. However, I'll be playing tonight to help a friend get his flawless raider. Sure it's something I've already done, but it should be good times and I'm looking forward to it.

Heck, I played Halo 3 twice last year. Does the fact that I've essentially 'moved on' from Halo 3 mean it was a bad game? I mean I've done everything there is to do in that game. I don't think that makes Halo 3 a bad game, dunno why the same is being said about Destiny.

Meh?!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 21:10 (2633 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by INSANEdrive, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 21:28

narcogen: It has a become a strange world in which admitting that one plays other games is evidence of failure on the part of Bungie's designers, and that visiting once in awhile is not "playing" a game, and having done everything you want is somehow a disappointment.

I don't get it.

[image]

I've been sitting here with my mouth open for about... five minutes. Flabbergasted. Not only of this comment, but of the size of the chain below it.

[image]

It would appear some clarification is in order to ween us away from this stunning interpretation.

So lets go into my yammering and poke at it.

INSANEdrive: I visit now and then I Jump in every now and again to see the events or new kit or what have you, but play destiny? What is there to play? I've done everything I conceivably wanted to do in every conceivable fashion. Shooting Valus Ta'aurc for the 5000th or so time is no longer enough to bring me to want to play Destiny. Running around in Patrol and shooting "nameless" foe after "nameless" foe is no longer enough. Some of this is expected with Bungie design sensibilities of reusing everything as much as possible, but now... there are other games. Other worlds. Other Experiences. ... and it's actually fun. In the frame of videogames, If you had a choice between running down the same darned corridor for the 5000th time, where you know where every mote of dust lies, or running down an unknown dark hallway that has yet to be filled with light, which would you choose? Is the choice I have made really so odd?

Right now I'm kicking ass in Overwatch Season 3 Ranked. ONE GAME I still have to finish up Witcher 3 Main story (I'm on the Skellige Isles) TWO GAME. I recently started Ori and the Blind Forest. Wow... that game really is really pretty. Wow! THREE GAME There is also the endless gameplay of Skyrim and Fallout 4 which I would like to do FIVE GAME SEVEN GAME. In March I'll be giving Mass Effect Andromeda EIGHTH GAME... more? a whirl, because even through then ending of three may have been... whatever it is, Mass Effect is by far one of my most cherished gameplay experiences. I'm talking Cody-Deus-Ex-One levels over here. The little bit they have shown has me... ready for another adventure.
I believe this is one of the things I mentioned or questioned in one of my epic texts in the early early Destiny days. There are other games. I want to play them. You may want to play them too. Destiny is not a marriage. It's just another game, fighting in the business of games, even if the marketing or perhaps even Bungie, wants you to think other wise. With that said, I do realize where I am making this post. With THAT said, it is our unwritten SOLEMN DUTY, because I say so, and probably some other things too, to let Bungie know our thoughts so they can act thusly. Because Bungie games are, as far as I know, only as good as the honesty of their fans. ;)

So...

Why would I be playing Destiny? Well? I can only hope that Bungie makes that question a mantra in the coming mouths ahead. Don't get me wrong, if someone needs a sixth or what have you, and I have the time, sure I'll jump on in and help! But to come home, kick back and say "I want to play Destiny" currently does no longer exist in my vocabulary. So Unless a sixth happens, or ya'll jump in to one of my other games I play (or vise versa) I'll see ya'll in Destiny 2!

ALSO DESTINY IS THR WORST GAME EVER AND BLAH BLAH BLHA

I'm not putting a sarcasm tag because hopefully at least one person here can figure it out. If no one here can, well, I'm fu**ed.

Fun, actually.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, January 14, 2017, 04:33 (2631 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

narcogen: It has a become a strange world in which admitting that one plays other games is evidence of failure on the part of Bungie's designers, and that visiting once in awhile is not "playing" a game, and having done everything you want is somehow a disappointment.

I don't get it.

[Pointless meme snipped]

I've been sitting here with my mouth open for about... five minutes. Flabbergasted. Not only of this comment, but of the size of the chain below it.

Flabbergasted by what? Seriously, I'm asking.

[Pointless meme snipped]

It would appear some clarification is in order to ween us away from this stunning interpretation.

What is stunning about it?

A thread was posting asking if people are still playing Destiny, presumably wondering who is, and if so, why, and if not, why not.

Your original, unembellished post starts off with the subject "meh" as if it is barely worth your effort to have a reaction or to properly verbalize it, and then proceeds to make the following assertions:

"...play destiny? What is there to play?"

You are essentially mocking the question and the person who asked it by saying that the question cannot be asked because Destiny is currently not a thing which can be played. You are going far, far beyond saying why you are not playing, and suggesting that others who are engaged with the game are apparently not playing, because there is nothing there to be played.

Some of this is expected with Bungie design sensibilities of reusing everything as much as possible

Now comes the why, apparently. You say that Bungie's design sensibilities consist of "reusing everything as much as possible" and this explains why you've already

done everything I conceivably wanted to do in every conceivable fashion

This is a common criticism of the game; that it is repetitive, and designed to be so. You've basically turned the original question on its head-- that not only are you not playing the game because it is repetitive, but that Bungie's design sensibilities lead to this inevitably. As if many other online PVE games are played often three years into release without repetition, somehow.

You know what? Let's not. Let's look at what you actually wrote and what it actually says, instead of just saying lol sarcasm or talking about what you meant when you said something, or just... coloring things randomly.

Instead let's look at the crux of what you wrote and why I bothered to respond to it.

now... there are other games. Other worlds. Other Experiences. ... and it's actually fun.

The key word here is "actually". You could simply have said you were playing other games and having fun, and I probably wouldn't have answered at all. There is nothing unusual about moving on from a game, playing other games, and having fun. In fact, not doing so might be more unusual-- which might even have been the point of the original poster's question.

The use of "actually" here implies a contrast, however. It implies that playing these other new games is "actually" fun, while playing Destiny is not "actually" fun, and this contrast is made without respect to time, meaning it could be interpreted as meaning that Destiny is no longer fun, but it was earlier, or that Destiny was never, in actual fact, fun, but only seemed so until one stopped playing. This is also not an uncommon criticism of Destiny by those who feel drawn or compelled to complete quests, find loot, tick boxes, and to use those mechanics as the reason for picking up the game, instead of using them once they've picked up the game as a way of deciding what parts of it to experience.

In your next post, you added some explication that doesn't really explain, but again turns the question back against the questioner:

In the frame of videogames, If you had a choice between running down the same darned corridor for the 5000th time, where you know where every mote of dust lies, or running down an unknown dark hallway that has yet to be filled with light, which would you choose? Is the choice I have made really so odd?

No, not at all! Your use of "actually" implies, however, that the opposite choice you consider to be odd, and again, that's why I replied. The way you describe it above indicates not only that you don't find it fun, but that you struggle to understand how anyone else could.

5000 times? That might apply to vanilla content, but each of the last two expansions added new strikes, new patrol areas, and a new Raid. I've actually only completed WotM *once* so far, and never on hard or challenge mode yet. I haven't even hit 400 yet, and I'm sure many others haven't either.

Even in vanilla content I often look at some corner and see a detail I never noticed before; and more often than not, that light at the end of the dark tunnel in a supposedly new game just turns out to be a variation on a theme, no less so than any twist, modification or re-use of content than Bungie has made so far to Destiny in the past two years.

And then your parting shot...

Why would I be playing Destiny? I can only hope that Bungie makes that question a mantra in the coming mouths ahead.

I'm sure they never thought of that until you asked. All Bungie fans must be grateful for your stunning and revealing honesty!

You are suggesting that those who are still playing and seemingly having fun are somehow ignorant or unaware of the game's actual nature-- that if they, too, only stopped to ask themselves "why would I play Destiny" they would realize they are not actually having fun and stop.

[snip]

You didn't say that, and didn't say you said that. You implied that Destiny is not, and perhaps never was, "actually" fun to play, and tacked on a thinly disguised "BUNGIE FIX YO SHIT" implying that that the poster and others still playing the game continue to do so only because they lack your level of introspection.

I'm not putting a sarcasm tag because hopefully at least one person here can figure it out. If no one here can, well, I'm fu**ed.

I guess you're f***ed then? If you didn't intend the initial post to mean what it says, then I don't know why you wrote it. If you mean the opposite of what this post says, then I don't know why you wrote it.

Also, what happened to SIX GAME?

I do get that you like Mass Effect. Me, too! Cautiously optimistic about ME4-- ME1 drew me in enough to see the series through to the end, despite a *lot* of changes (some good, some bad) along the way. I'm waiting so see if what they propose in Andromeda is engaging enough to keep playing now that the game is essentially a third person shooter with RPG elements instead of an RPG with some third person shooter elements.

Alright. I'm game.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, January 14, 2017, 13:16 (2630 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by INSANEdrive, Saturday, January 14, 2017, 13:23

My words in Bold Green! Yay!

I don't get it.

[Pointless meme snipped] Pointless meme wasn't pointless, hence it being there. Expressing surprise in the escalation of emotion and amount of content. Rhetorically speaking Why so serious?

Flabbergasted by what? Seriously, I'm asking. See pointless meme clarification above.

[Pointless meme snipped] ... moveing along ...

What is stunning about it? Again... see above.

A thread was posting asking if people are still playing Destiny, presumably wondering who is, and if so, why, and if not, why not. Yes...

Your original, unembellished post starts off with the subject "meh" as if it is barely worth your effort to have a reaction or to properly verbalize it, and then proceeds to make the following assertions: Actually, it's the summery of my thoughts, hence title, towards "How are you guys still playing Destiny?" to which I should add I instantly changed the question into "If I was still playing Destiny?" so if you wish to nit pick here is your chance, through at the very least it seems we both made that interpretation. That said, this is why "Meh" it is the title. That is how I overall feel about it at this point. A big 'ol colossal MEH.

"...play destiny? What is there to play?"

You are essentially mocking the question and the person who asked it by saying that the question cannot be asked because Destiny is currently not a thing which can be played. You are going far, far beyond saying why you are not playing, and suggesting that others who are engaged with the game are apparently not playing, because there is nothing there to be played. I will admit that this particular wording should be "What is there to play... at this point?", but I'm surprised it needs to be. Yet with that said I find the emotion you imply utterly bewildering. I'll spare you the image. Wow. That escalated quickly. You speak as if I am acting with spiteful purpose. I don't understand. I commented on how I felt about it and that is that. Problem?

Some of this is expected with Bungie design sensibilities of reusing everything as much as possible

Now comes the why, apparently. You say that Bungie's design sensibilities consist of "reusing everything as much as possible" and this explains why you've already

done everything I conceivably wanted to do in every conceivable fashion

This is a common criticism of the game; that it is repetitive, and designed to be so. You've basically turned the original question on its head-- that not only are you not playing the game because it is repetitive, but that Bungie's design sensibilities lead to this inevitably. As if many other online PVE games are played often three years into release without repetition, somehow. It seems to me, that in your nit picking, you have missed the main point in my whole post... AKA It would appear some clarification is in order to ween us away from this stunning interpretation.It would also appear you missed it again. I shall try again to be even more blunt before this post is done.

You know what? Let's not. Let's look at what you actually wrote and what it actually says, instead of just saying lol sarcasm or talking about what you meant when you said something, or just... coloring things randomly. *Sigh*

Instead let's look at the crux of what you wrote and why I bothered to respond to it.

now... there are other games. Other worlds. Other Experiences. ... and it's actually fun.

The key word here is "actually". You could simply have said you were playing other games and having fun, and I probably wouldn't have answered at all. There is nothing unusual about moving on from a game, playing other games, and having fun. In fact, not doing so might be more unusual-- which might even have been the point of the original poster's question. Ugh. I had hoped... even though I know better. Even though I've been burned countless times before. Wording wording wording. Flippen-Freekn-A. I had hoped it would be implied that I wasn't speaking about Destiny in it's whole, but about Destiny at this point hence the title keyword "STILL". While I imagine this won't come across has sincere due to the current pattern, I'm sorry if I somehow have offended you. Your tone certainly makes it seem so.

The use of "actually" here implies a contrast, ...*at this point* however. It implies that playing these other new games is "actually" fun...*at this point*, while playing Destiny is not "actually" fun...*at this point*, and this contrast is made without respect to time, meaning it could be interpreted as meaning that Destiny is no longer fun...*at this point*, but it was earlier OH!... , or that Destiny was never oh!.., in actual fact, fun, but only seemed so until one stopped playing Ugh... for a moment there was light. This is also not an uncommon criticism of Destiny by those who feel drawn or compelled to complete quests, find loot, tick boxes, and to use those mechanics as the reason for picking up the game, instead of using them once they've picked up the game as a way of deciding what parts of it to experience.

In your next post, you added some explication that doesn't really explain, but again turns the question back against the questioner:

In the frame of videogames, If you had a choice between running down the same darned corridor for the 5000th time, where you know where every mote of dust lies, or running down an unknown dark hallway that has yet to be filled with light, which would you choose? Is the choice I have made really so odd?

No, not at all! Your use of "actually" implies, however, that the opposite choice you consider to be odd, and again, that's why I replied. The way you describe it above indicates not only that you don't find it fun, but that you struggle to understand how anyone else could. Is anyone else seeing a pattern here or is it just me?

5000 times? That might apply to vanilla content, but each of the last two expansions added new strikes, new patrol areas, and a new Raid. I've actually only completed WotM *once* so far, and never on hard or challenge mode yet. I haven't even hit 400 yet, and I'm sure many others haven't either.

Even in vanilla content I often look at some corner and see a detail I never noticed before; and more often than not, that light at the end of the dark tunnel in a supposedly new game just turns out to be a variation on a theme, no less so than any twist, modification or re-use of content than Bungie has made so far to Destiny in the past two years. Cool! Fantastic. Go! Kick ass and chew bubblegum!

And then your parting shot... Oh geeeeeeez.

I'm sure they never thought of that until you asked. All Bungie fans must be grateful for your stunning and revealing honesty! What is this farce? Are you serious right now? You are being utterly ridiculous, and I fear I may have to explain. Check your emotions dude. Do you really think Bungie is insulted? I mean... you make it sound like I'm car15. You presume my intent, and you missed.

You are suggesting that those who are still playing and seemingly having fun are somehow ignorant or unaware of the game's actual nature-- that if they, too, only stopped to ask themselves "why would I play Destiny" they would realize they are not actually having fun and stop. I.... I am? O_o Dude. This. I. ... What!?

[snip]

You didn't say that, and didn't say you said that. You implied that Destiny is not, and perhaps never was, "actually" fun to play, and tacked on a thinly disguised "BUNGIE FIX YO SHIT" implying that that the poster and others still playing the game continue to do so only because they lack your level of introspection. Actually I was mocking you, as that is what your tone in your first reply post to mine was saying and based on what I am reading here, you really should be mocked in this instance with your utter mania-like overreaction. It's comical. I just can't take what you are saying seriously in part due to your manner.

I guess you're f***ed then? If you didn't intend the initial post to mean what it says, then I don't know why you wrote it. If you mean the opposite of what this post says, then I don't know why you wrote it. *Sigh*

Also, what happened to SIX GAME? Skyrim and Fallout don't count as one game considering the scope.

I do get that you like Mass Effect. Me, too! Cautiously optimistic about ME4-- ME1 drew me in enough to see the series through to the end, despite a *lot* of changes (some good, some bad) along the way. I'm waiting so see if what they propose in Andromeda is engaging enough to keep playing now that the game is essentially a third person shooter with RPG elements instead of an RPG with some third person shooter elements.

I know I know. Can't wait! :D ... also key words "Ready for another adventure"

----------------------------------------
You cut a portion of my quote where I talk about games, and the number of those games. Whether it's because you had nothing to say about it, or you thought it wasn't relevant as of right now does not matter. As promised I'm going to try and be as BLUNT as I can. And I'll even do it with out the bold and the green.

Alright. Key points. Played Destiny till bloody. Other games. New Adventures.

Decipher. GO!

Shit. Do I still have to hold a hand? I don't know. But I'm post'n this sucker and we get to find out together! WOO!

Alright. I'm game.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, January 15, 2017, 03:00 (2630 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Is anyone else seeing a pattern here or is it just me?

Other than you being a sarcastic jerk, no . . .

Every post you've made in this thread comes off as overly condescending, and I'm not quite sure what you get out of that. Be a dick about the game if you want to (I certainly often am--I frequently feel like the most negative person on this forum), but I don't really understand how the attitude you're displaying here benefits anyone.

Narc replied with a pretty innocuous comment and you went off the fucking deep end.

Thank You. (+ Edit)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, January 15, 2017, 18:47 (2629 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by INSANEdrive, Sunday, January 15, 2017, 19:20

Is anyone else seeing a pattern here or is it just me?

Other than you being a sarcastic jerk, no . . .

Every post you've made in this thread comes off as overly condescending, and I'm not quite sure what you get out of that. Be a dick about the game if you want to (I certainly often am--I frequently feel like the most negative person on this forum), but I don't really understand how the attitude you're displaying here benefits anyone.

Narc replied with a pretty innocuous comment and you went off the fucking deep end.

Thank You for your honesty. I don't see what (at the very least) you two see; through I suppose I have the benefit of knowing the tone as I wrote it versus interpreting the tone as I wrote it. I harbor no ill will, and hoped the words would do the work, and speak what I implied. It would seem I was wrong.

To me, it seems there is far more emotion then there should be for this subject. All the same, I'll look over my post again. Try to see what I missed, if I can. I don't understand.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: If I distance myself to what is written and simply think about the emotional content of the words, I can see how some parts could be interpreted as blasé, indifferent, and/or aloof (particularly in the later texts). Sometimes my head thinks more then it feels, so that is on me. As I recall, I've done such once before (as far as I know) on this forum, where Snipe posted that I should probably shut up (or something to that effect), which I did. This feels to be about the same.

That said, I still find it reprehensibly silly that it was presumed that I was speaking about ALL of Destiny for its entire existence. I spoke about Destiny as I see it now (as was implied in the original post title, not mine... the ORIGINAL), gave the the basis of such a conclusion (I've played everything I care to), and gave the contrast that pushed to the edge (SO. MANY. OTHER. GAMES).

Unless there is more input, I don't think there is much else to say.

Thank You. (+ Edit)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, January 15, 2017, 22:20 (2629 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I don't harbor any ill will towards you, for whatever it's worth. I think you've nailed the crux of the matter--tone always has and always will be impossible to read on the internet. If your words can be interpreted in different ways, assume they will always be interpreted in the worst way that you didn't intend. I still learn this lesson every day.

I agree with your posts basically whole-heartedly. Destiny is the last game I'd have any desire to play right now. And however you intended it, it came off as snarky and nearly combative (your reply to narc--I thought your initial post was fine), to me anyway. But that's maybe just as much my fault, too. Years of the internet, but especially Reddit, have trained me to read everything in just about the worst light possible. I think that's something we could all work on, from all sides.

Meh.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 12:46 (2633 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I still have to finish up Witcher 3 Main story (I'm on the Skellige Isles).

That's my favorite area in the base game (Blood and Wine's new area is just on another level). White Orchard, Velen, and Novigrad are great, but the whole war-torn aesthetic gets depressing pretty quickly. Which is fine, the game is great at making me feel that world in my bones, but Skellige was a nice, beautiful break from that. It's sort of a shame that you get there and the main story feels really important at that point. I did very few side quests there on my first play through. There's a lot of good stuff there that's easy to miss.

Coincidentally, I'm currently hunting down Dandelion in my fourth play through of that game, so I'm not far behind you. Although I think this might be the run where I finally 100% all the quests and areas of interest on the map. We'll see if I can get that done before Horizon Zero Dawn comes out.

Overwatch

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 12:50 (2633 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Blackt1g3r, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 12:54

Right now I'm kicking ass in Overwatch Season 3 Ranked.

When do you play usually? Seems like I never see you online? Also, I'm ranked at 2223 now.

Overwatch

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 21:34 (2633 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Right now I'm kicking ass in Overwatch Season 3 Ranked.

When do you play usually? Seems like I never see you online? Also, I'm ranked at 2223 now.

Likewise! In fact you aren't even on the Friends Leaderboard for me. No real set time, it all about what I feel like playing when I can. Currently at 2273/2330 as of this post.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 12:28 (2633 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'm back to burn out point.

I've done all the things I can do, and have reached the point of giving up on other things. I'm yet to finish Kings Fall and figure it won't happen now. Not even started Wrath of Machine...probably won't as I don't have the time to devote unless I have a full team of high powers and a sherpa that just pull me through.

Been working on my secondary characters but it's taking FOREVER! It felt like my original hunter ranked up subclasses really fast. My Warloc has played through the original campaign, the next two expansions, and rise of Iron and it still hasn't filled one subclass. So I'm starting to give up on that too.

Bounties/Patrols on occasion by myself.
Strikes if my IRL friends are on.

Watch out all. This guy hates Destiny. *NM*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 21:39 (2633 days ago) @ ManKitten
edited by INSANEdrive, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 21:42

Sarcasm! Also... it's really interesting how putting *NM* now has the opposite effect.

Pretty odd, but fun *NM*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 21:54 (2633 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Fffffuuuu

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 22:23 (2633 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Watch out all. This guy hates Destiny. *NM*

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, January 12, 2017, 13:32 (2632 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

"Watch out all. This guy hates Destiny. *NM*"

Totally. F*** this game.

So, anyone want to nightfall tonight? I'm still working on my RoI record book. I'm also down for some crucible, or strikes, or dailies, or anything really. Some patrols are fun too, I just bought a new sparrow that matches my shader so I'm excited to show off my whole look. I really do love this game.

But like I said before...F this S.

;)

It's still fun ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 12:58 (2633 days ago) @ petetheduck

Seriously.... this game is still a blast to play. Of course playing with friends makes it even better.

I pop on occasionally

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 13:02 (2633 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

Mainly Halo here

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 13:42 (2633 days ago) @ petetheduck

But since I have played so much Halo, Destiny has become fun again with Rise of Iron. But yea it's pretty much 1 maybe 2 days a week I get a chance to.

Yeah, I play Halo almost daily

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 14:10 (2633 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

- No text -

Mainly Halo here as well, Pete

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 14:12 (2633 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy
    edited by MacGyver10, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 14:16

Yeah, I'm a Halo guy, though with the recent free games and holiday deals, I'm also playing around with the TellTale Batman series, the Metro games, Lost Odyssey and want to try out the upcoming Power Rangers beat-em-up.

Pete, you should check out some of the things happening in Forge these days. The new scripting tools in Halo 5's Forge would have you making some spectacular maps!

Prop Hunt - disguise yourself as an inanimate object and hide from bad guys
    'Night of the Mantis' - where you and your team survive 8 waves of "A.I." Mantis (with scoring and level-based weapons!)
    Sanghelios Trench - a Covenant-themed reimagining of Blood Gulch
    Wipeout 2 - reminds me a lot of your challenge maps, Pete.
    Quantum Tunneling Test - an aesthetic map showing off some of the amazing maps you can make with scripting
    A Real Self-playing Piano in Halo 5 - self-explanatory, but sorry for the Smash Mouth tune :)

Anyway, some awesome things in Halo 5's Forge these days. Would always be cool to see what you could figure out in it!

- MacGyver10

lol

by Avateur @, Thursday, January 12, 2017, 00:55 (2633 days ago) @ MacGyver10

- No text -

With Specific Goals...

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 14:44 (2633 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'm a collector, so each week I'll do the following:

3 Nightfalls until I get the year 3 Icebreaker.
    6 Zavala strike bounties until I complete the armor sets (4 pieces to go)
    1 Heroic WotM Raid until I get the Nanophoenix (ship)
    1 Trials card until I get The Devoted (shader)
    And of course I'll check Holiday's inventory until she sells the CX20 Slipper Misfit (ship)

That's usually it for Destiny these days, but I help others with pretty much anything - if nothing else it's still a great shooter. Even after I finish my goals, I'll run one raid a week for fun for as long as there are DBO folks willing to play.

With Specific Goals...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 16:11 (2633 days ago) @ Chappy

I'm a collector, so each week I'll do the following:

3 Nightfalls until I get the year 3 Icebreaker.
    6 Zavala strike bounties until I complete the armor sets (4 pieces to go)
    1 Heroic WotM Raid until I get the Nanophoenix (ship)
    1 Trials card until I get The Devoted (shader)
    And of course I'll check Holiday's inventory until she sells the CX20 Slipper Misfit (ship)

That's usually it for Destiny these days, but I help others with pretty much anything - if nothing else it's still a great shooter. Even after I finish my goals, I'll run one raid a week for fun for as long as there are DBO folks willing to play.

That reminds me, I have two Queen's exotics to get. If two other people want to have a Exotix and Chill night where we run CoE over and over and just chat and hang out, I'd be down.

i've been playing titanfall

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 17:56 (2633 days ago) @ petetheduck

i know the gameplay in titanfall is nothing like halo, but i get a rush like i did playing Halo 2 on the smaller maps. Everything is so fast paced and BSC, even on the larger maps.

as for destiny, i haven't touched it since October i believe. It's so much easier to just jump into titanfall for an hr and play. Destiny is just too time consuming, and I'm having trouble keeping up, so i just chose not to worry about it.

I can jump in and out, but it took some work.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 18:43 (2633 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Despite what some others in this thread are saying, Destiny isn't actually a game that you can just pick up and play whenever you feel like it. Not all the time, and not without some major restrictions. Light Level is such a key part of the game, you simply can't just jump in and do whatever you feel like doing unless your gear is appropriately leveled up. Back in August, I could casually play Destiny whenever and however I felt like it. But then RoI came out, and all my favorite activities were once again subject to Light Level restrictions, and the grind came roaring back in a big way. Except this time, it was probably worse than it had been since the game first launched.

I was so turned off by the terrible end-game grind in Rise of Iron that I stopped playing for about 6 weeks, from late October to early December or so. I jumped back in for Iron Banner and Sparrow Racing league because I figured those 2 activities would be decent ways to level up quickly, and they were. I got all 3 of my character up to max level by the end of December. I now have enough of my weapons and armor up to max light that Light Level is no longer a concern, and I can now play the darn game however and whenever I want. And it's great! I feel like playing a raid, I can jump on and raid. If I'm in the mood to run a few strikes, I can play for half an hour and then get out.

So right now, Destiny is in a great place for me. But it took months of grinding to get there. I'm hoping that we won't see another light level increase. Every time it happens, Destiny turns into a chore until I'm finally past the grind and I can go back to enjoying myself.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 19:11 (2633 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Despite what some others in this thread are saying, Destiny isn't actually a game that you can just pick up and play whenever you feel like it.

While true, you're overplaying that fact. Vendor gear is 350 Light and would only take a few days of solid play to buy a full set. At that point you'd be Light Level ready for every Mission and Strike in the game as well as three of the four Raids.

That you can't jump straight into the very tip top highest level of competitive multiplayer is not the same thing as not being able to jump on and play essentially any mode of Destiny at any time.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 19:16 (2633 days ago) @ Ragashingo

And once you buy the gear, what do you do to level it up? Oh, play the same strikes over and over? That's the problem. TTK nailed the road to the end game, with tons of quests to do which left you at about 290 ready to raid. Rise of Iron makes you do boring shit.

It's not an issue of time but of quality.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 19:36 (2633 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Despite what some others in this thread are saying, Destiny isn't actually a game that you can just pick up and play whenever you feel like it.

While true, you're overplaying that fact. Vendor gear is 350 Light and would only take a few days of solid play to buy a full set. At that point you'd be Light Level ready for every Mission and Strike in the game as well as three of the four Raids.

That you can't jump straight into the very tip top highest level of competitive multiplayer is not the same thing as not being able to jump on and play essentially any mode of Destiny at any time.

I hear you, but I don't think I'm overplaying it at all. It is a "conditional" situation that will affect some players far more than others. It all comes down to taste/preferences. I can play 95% of Destiny's content at level 350, but it's the 95% that I almost never ever want to play. If my favorite activity was Patrol, then it would be a different story. But the activities that I find to be the most fun are the ones that Bungie puts the farthest "out of reach" until you get close to max level. And not just me... those are the activities that my friends want to play most often as well. So if I want to play with my friends, then once again I am forced to fight my way through the grind before the game opens up and offers true freedom of choice.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 22:53 (2633 days ago) @ Ragashingo

While true, you're overplaying that fact. Vendor gear is 350 Light and would only take a few days of solid play to buy a full set.

Can you not see the absurdity of that statement? I have to play the game for a couple of hours a night for a few days before I'm allowed to do the things I actually want to do? I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but I honestly struggle to see how anyone can really look at that and deem it as acceptable.

I get that for some of you, that's fine, that playing the strikes or crucible or whatever with your friends for as long as it takes to get that light level is a fun way to pass the time. For some of us, it's just not, and is literally a complete chore. There has got to be a better solution for making sure players are prepared to undertake a raid than making them grind for hours.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, January 12, 2017, 00:00 (2633 days ago) @ cheapLEY

While true, you're overplaying that fact. Vendor gear is 350 Light and would only take a few days of solid play to buy a full set.

Can you not see the absurdity of that statement? I have to play the game for a couple of hours a night for a few days before I'm allowed to do the things I actually want to do? I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but I honestly struggle to see how anyone can really look at that and deem it as acceptable.

Then you aren't trying. Some of us enjoy playing Destiny. I don't play Strikes or Crucible to level up for a Raid or high end Crucible activity. I play Strikes when I feel like playing Strikes. I play Crucible when I feel like playing Crucible. And I only ever Raid for the fun of playing with five friends. I haven't repeated a Raid over and over to level up or get armor or weapons since getting to level 28 was a thing for the Vault of Glass. And if I don't feel like doing any of those things I don't do any of them. I'll play another game.

I get that for some of you, that's fine, that playing the strikes or crucible or whatever with your friends for as long as it takes to get that light level is a fun way to pass the time. For some of us, it's just not, and is literally a complete chore. There has got to be a better solution for making sure players are prepared to undertake a raid than making them grind for hours.

There's no as long as it takes. I play because I enjoy playing. Mostly I play Strikes as a Defender because I enjoy protecting my team and dropping bubbles while I revive people off the floor. I play for the rare moment that a Rando waves to me after saving him for the fifth time in the last ten minutes. It makes my day when a Rando picks me up super quickly because I've been right there saving him at a moment's notice across one or more Strikes.

I also don't Raid that much. There are people that Raid multiple times a week. People who chase after challenge modes. People who have to have full sets of glowing Raid armor. I think I've completed one of the WotM challenges so far. Have completed the Raid itself maybe three times. Personally, I don't quite like the way Raids are set up. I think they should fit naturally into the story, serve as a nice exciting exclamation point to the story, that they should have you accomplish something significant with regards to the story ( Crota's End and King's Fall got those right while Vault of Glass and Wrath of the Machine more or less didn't) AND that a Raid should reward you with a pile of consistent, high quality gear and weapons.

Beating a Raid shouldn't be something you have to do weekly for months on end. It should give you one of every Raid reward and everything it gives you should be at max level. They should be big clamatic one time events (like Assault on the Control Room was a one time event) that you'll run multiple times because you want to (just like I played AotCR many many times because I wanted to.) Running a raid dozens of times so I can level up so I can run the hard mode dozens of times so I can max my level is not something that appeals to me. So I don't do it. Which is why most of my builds max out in the upper 380s these days instead all of them being at 400 like some people's.

As always, if playing Destiny is literally a complete chore then snap your disc in half and throw it away. If playing a game more than the absolute minimum in order to reach or compete in or complete the game's very highest goals or challenges is so absurd to you, then find something you like doing and do that instead.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, January 12, 2017, 00:29 (2633 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Then you aren't trying. Some of us enjoy playing Destiny. I don't play Strikes or Crucible to level up for a Raid or high end Crucible activity. I play Strikes when I feel like playing Strikes. I play Crucible when I feel like playing Crucible. And I only ever Raid for the fun of playing with five friends. I haven't repeated a Raid over and over to level up or get armor or weapons since getting to level 28 was a thing for the Vault of Glass. And if I don't feel like doing any of those things I don't do any of them. I'll play another game.

No one here is talking about playing the Raid over and over. I'm talking about getting to the raid, the only thing in Rise of Iron I'd actually like to do.

There's no as long as it takes. I play because I enjoy playing.

I'd like to be able to do that, but the game literally won't let me. I'd have to spend hours playing through shit that I don't want to over and over again to get to the part I want to play.

As always, if playing Destiny is literally a complete chore then snap your disc in half and throw it away. If playing a game more than the absolute minimum in order to reach or compete in or complete the game's very highest goals or challenges is so absurd to you, then find something you like doing and do that instead.

I basically have. I haven't played since before the update in April last year.

I feel like I've shown multiple times that I understand that many of you like just hopping into Destiny and doing whatever, and that's awesome, but you've yet to show that you understand that there are some of us that literally can't play the things in Destiny we want to play without going through hours of stuff we just don't. You can't just pretend it's not a real problem and tell me it's my fault and that I shouldn't play if I don't want to play, when that's exactly what I've been doing for nearly a year now. You're actual literal words that said I could be raid ready in a few days is ridiculous to me. Why should I have to play a few day's worth of content that I don't want to in order to do the one activity I would actively enjoy? If the story content took a few days and led directly to me being ready to raid, that would be entirely different situation, and a welcome one, but that's not the case.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, January 12, 2017, 01:30 (2633 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I feel like I've shown multiple times that I understand that many of you like just hopping into Destiny and doing whatever, and that's awesome, but you've yet to show that you understand that there are some of us that literally can't play the things in Destiny we want to play without going through hours of stuff we just don't. You can't just pretend it's not a real problem and tell me it's my fault and that I shouldn't play if I don't want to play, when that's exactly what I've been doing for nearly a year now. You're actual literal words that said I could be raid ready in a few days is ridiculous to me. Why should I have to play a few day's worth of content that I don't want to in order to do the one activity I would actively enjoy? If the story content took a few days and led directly to me being ready to raid, that would be entirely different situation, and a welcome one, but that's not the case.

Fair enough.

I think Destiny's Raids are too iconic and are too much a focus of each expansion to be something that players cannot do even though they have completed all the new Missions and Strikes for that Raid's expansion. Further, the challenge of the Raids at the base level should be the puzzles and natural battles against equal leveled enemies. Making base level Raids a battle against overleveled enemies has never sat well with me. It feels contrived to have to level up to play Raids without a massive disadvantage.

The other stuff that's been talked about though? Things like Trials or Iron Banner or hard mode Raids? Those should be reserved for the people who want something extra to reach for and accomplish. If you don't want to do extra work then things like the Elimination playlist, regular non-Light Level Crucible, and the base level Raids should exist to let you have much of the same experience. But the special loot and destinations (like the Lighthouse) and bragging rights should be reserved for those who reach for them.

I play about once a week just to see some friends.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 23:17 (2633 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

Never started?

by Quirel, Thursday, January 12, 2017, 02:01 (2633 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'm... I dunno. Waiting for Destiny 2 to hit?

Never started?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, January 16, 2017, 21:16 (2628 days ago) @ Quirel

At this point... inertia.

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 12, 2017, 20:09 (2632 days ago) @ petetheduck

I mostly play PvP. I find strikes to be incredibly boring. I even found the WotM to be boring. I don't know if anything will ever feel like the first time I did VoG. So most of my pleasure is derived from competitive play and playing well. It's how I'm wired and how I've always been. I was an athlete my whole life. I still play sports every week and to this day I more or less judge how much I enjoyed my time based on how well I played. Did I execute how I know how to play? Did complete my passes? Did I hustle on D? Etc. That's who I am.

So when it comes to Destiny, when I'm playing well in the Crucible, it is one of the most gratifying feelings. Going on a kill streak, or just being on point with my sniping makes me feel amazing. I've never played a game that when I'm playing well felt so good as Destiny. I've never been that good at other PvP environments, but something about Destiny allows me to play in a way I like and can often reward me for it (though not in in-game rewards :) ).

Now, when I play poorly, or my connection sucks, or I'm put in a room of people who's ELOs are all 600 pts above mine, Destiny sucks big time. It is the worst. I have broken my couch, a table, I have kicked my chair across the room, punched my desk hundreds of times. It is the most infuriating game I have ever played because sometimes there is simply no discernible difference between how well I played one day to how horrible the next days experience is. I have stopped playing as much lately because of this. I even went so far as to delete the game from both my consoles.

But... and this brings me finally to my point, I couldn't stay away long, because I'm not terribly interested in other games and frankly, I want something to veg to for a couple hours at night. I wish I had the energy to just keep being productive and working on my side projects, but I don't always. This is why I describe it as inertia. It's more friction for me to fire up another game. I'm not an adventurous person, I don't want to waste time (or especially money) on something I might not like. If it weren't for Robot and Rellekh telling me to buy Destiny, I'd probably never would have and would have never met you guys.

So yeah, I play Destiny because it's more work to play something else. Though, honestly, at this point, I wish I had the strength to quit except during Iron Banner. I love playing Iron Banner with all of you.

by FyreWulff, Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 16:38 (2612 days ago) @ petetheduck

With buttons and stuff.

This ain't the Halo 2 days, folks. It's okay to rotate games. I mean, I enjoyed mainlining Halo 3 straight to the veins but it's absolutely destroyed me wanting to ever go back to those games. It's like trying to read an old tattered book.

Back to the forum index
    RSS Feed of thread