PS4 Pro with RE7 & Deus Ex: MD for $399. F&F Delivery... (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, February 07, 2017, 18:57 (2606 days ago)

On Newegg's Ebay.

I was going to tell Cruel to upgrade, but saw this deal and I thought I'd share it here.

I've had the Pro for about three months now, and while not many games explicitly support it (nor do I have a 4k TV), I've been more than happy with it (mostly using it for the improved video capture).

Also, Boost Mode sounds gimmicky, but it's a pretty noticeable quality-of-life improvement on games (Witcher 3 save loaded in about 20 seconds (down from about 40), Bloodborne loading screens down to 9 seconds from Hunter's Dream to Above Ground).

It's neat, and if you don't have a PS4, I'd definitely skip the Slim and go straight for the Pro (especially since RE7 is still a $60 game, and both it and Deus Ex have gotten good reviews). Otherwise, I'd say it's a neat but not vital upgrade unless you're getting something like Horizon, but it'll likely be a while before we see another sale like this, so I'd pick it up.

PS4 Pro with RE7 & Deus Ex: MD for $399. F&F Delivery...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 07, 2017, 19:25 (2606 days ago) @ Korny

On Newegg's Ebay.

I was going to tell Cruel to upgrade, but saw this deal and I thought I'd share it here.

I've had the Pro for about three months now, and while not many games explicitly support it (nor do I have a 4k TV), I've been more than happy with it (mostly using it for the improved video capture).

It's literally exactly the same thing 95% of the time. I regret buying mine, but it's not worse at least. Just not better. I expected some games to at least do 60fps instead of 30, but nope. None so far. Useless if you have a 1080p TV.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, February 07, 2017, 19:43 (2606 days ago) @ Cody Miller

On Newegg's Ebay.

It's literally exactly the same thing 95% of the time. I regret buying mine, but it's not worse at least. Just not better. I expected some games to at least do 60fps instead of 30, but nope. None so far. Useless if you have a 1080p TV.

On the bright side, you've future-proofed yourself. Like I said, the game support isn't there yet (It's only been out a few months), and Boost Mode is something that won't be widely available for another couple of weeks, so for now most consoles have locked processing (no idea why Boost Mode wasn't a default Launch feature).
Also, like I've said before, if you do a lot of video capture/streaming, it's a big help (I've even made use of the 60 minute film clip length on a video that I'm working on).

Other than that, yeah, it's 95% just a PS4 for now, but what were you expecting?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 07, 2017, 19:52 (2606 days ago) @ Korny

Other than that, yeah, it's 95% just a PS4 for now, but what were you expecting?

60fps all day every day while in 1080p mode. Clearly a mistake to hope for that.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, February 07, 2017, 20:12 (2606 days ago) @ Cody Miller

60fps all day every day while in 1080p mode. Clearly a mistake to hope for that.

You'd have to have devs retroactively unlock framerates, or update their games to run at 60. You don't magically double a game's framerate with more GPU. I thought you knew everything about how games and development work?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 07, 2017, 20:17 (2606 days ago) @ Korny

You don't magically double a game's framerate with more GPU.

It worked that way when I got a better GPU for my Mac Pro. Are console designers hard coding the 30fps so much that a check box can't unlock the framerate like Bioshock did?

...yes?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, February 07, 2017, 20:58 (2606 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I mean, we are talking about console gaming, which is theoretically optimized to oblivion. Of course, devs could push updates to unlock it, but then they'd have to test and stuff. I'd wager not many are willing to spend resources testing "old" games.

Kornious Munkious...

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 12:46 (2604 days ago) @ Korny

Did you ever end up getting the Platinum headset? I'm curious about it, especially the enhanced 3D audio.
Also overall compared to the Gold.

Kornious Munkious...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, February 13, 2017, 16:52 (2600 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Did you ever end up getting the Platinum headset? I'm curious about it, especially the enhanced 3D audio.
Also overall compared to the Gold.

Sorry I missed this post.

We did get one, but while Sammy likes it, and it does have some slight improvements to the Gold, the 3D audio isn't supported by many games yet, so there's not much reason to upgrade if you already have the Gold headset, since the difference is minimal. I recommend waiting until more games support it (and it should be on sale at that point, although we were able to get Best Buy to price-match Amazon for $30 off).

It looks really neat (build is definitely more durable than the Gold, which still works fine after years of extended use, animal chewing, and enough sitting-on to break it into three pieces), there are some bass improvements, and it is comfortable enough for hours of play, but I'm going to be sticking with the Gold headset for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the great insight!

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 09:49 (2599 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread