GamesRadar talks Titanfall 2 high-level play (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, February 12, 2017, 14:57 (2624 days ago)

Fantastic article about the advanced gameplay techniques evolving in the Titanfall 2 community, and the importance of game design that emphasizes rewarding play.

http://www.gamesradar.com/how-titanfall-2s-secret-high-level-game-blesses-a-modern-shooter-with-long-lost-old-school-...

Some great points about the different ways some games approach the question of replay value, and why Titanfall finds a particularly successful balance where many other shooters fall short.

Here's an excerpt:

"This sort of play, with its focus on the long-term discovery and honing of pure technique, was the lifeblood of a whole generation of shooters, these games’ systems - by accident or design - delivering a raft of high-level potential beyond their ostensible offering. Learning this stuff was a tough, optional road, but immensely rewarding, turning play into a kind of art, and making every success far more personal. There was no need for big expansion plans with those games. Yes, there were updates, and on PC, the community created loads of its own content via modding. But with such long paths of skill development within the fabric of the games, the playing was always the real focus".

Dat speed!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, February 12, 2017, 16:39 (2624 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

This is one of the videos linked in the article.

Holy crap!

What the hell is that crouch gliding going on?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, February 12, 2017, 19:30 (2623 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

What the hell is that crouch gliding going on?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, February 12, 2017, 20:18 (2623 days ago) @ kidtsunami

There's another video included in the article that covers jump-slide boosting :)

Practice

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, February 13, 2017, 18:27 (2623 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I need to just hop on and practice some of these speed movement techniques.

Practice

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, February 13, 2017, 18:47 (2623 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I need to just hop on and practice some of these speed movement techniques.

Likewise. I was messing around with it a little bit last night while we were playing. I got a couple jump-slides going, but I wasn't able to maneuver at all without killing my speed. There's some subtleties to the stick motions that I'm missing. But even with my extremely limited success, it is a thrilling feeling to get a crazy burst of speed going and sustain it :)

GamesRadar talks Titanfall 2 high-level play

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, February 13, 2017, 04:59 (2623 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Fantastic article about the advanced gameplay techniques evolving in the Titanfall 2 community, and the importance of game design that emphasizes rewarding play.

http://www.gamesradar.com/how-titanfall-2s-secret-high-level-game-blesses-a-modern-shooter-with-long-lost-old-school-...

Funny that you should post this, as it's something that I have thought about recently. After watching me play Warframe a lot, my brother started playing it. While he says that he really likes it, I noticed that he plays it basically like a Mass Effect 3 Krogan Warlord; lumbering around with a focus on melee and the use of a single ability above others. It reminds me about how methodical and slow my early experience with the game was.

He doesn't know anything about Bullet jumping, aim glide traversal, wall latching, helicoptering, melee combos, Transference, channeling, Specialization, Augmentation, etc.
He's essentially just playing it as a normal third-person shooter, and it really puts things into perspective for me that my playstyle has evolved with the game over time. I could go back and play it "normally", but a lot of the fun has come from mastering the advanced mobility and in-depth aspects of everything.

I can't think of another game in recent memory outside of Titanfall 2 where experimentation and deeper mechanics were so well rewarded (Although Destiny does have stuff such as Titan Skating that add a touch of depth), and it adds another layer to the replay value for sure.

GamesRadar talks Titanfall 2 high-level play

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 12:52 (2622 days ago) @ Korny

He's essentially just playing it as a normal third-person shooter, and it really puts things into perspective for me that my playstyle has evolved with the game over time. I could go back and play it "normally", but a lot of the fun has come from mastering the advanced mobility and in-depth aspects of everything.

I can't think of another game in recent memory outside of Titanfall 2 where experimentation and deeper mechanics were so well rewarded

[image]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread