The Witness Redux (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, February 17, 2017, 19:08 (2617 days ago)

I gave up on the witness simply because I was always fighting with the controls and I got bored.

Well, an update added a slider for look sensitivity, and I gave it a go and it is actually playable now. So I'm picking up where I left off and trying to beat this game with no hints whatsoever.

Will report back when and if I can finally finish.

The Witness Redux

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, February 17, 2017, 19:10 (2617 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Let us know if you beat THE challenge.

The Witness Redux

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, February 17, 2017, 19:11 (2617 days ago) @ CyberKN

I don't know what you are talking about. Will it be obvious when I get there? Those Tetris block puzzles already make my brain melt. It took me quite some time to fully understand those.

The Witness Redux

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, February 17, 2017, 19:14 (2617 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't know what you are talking about. Will it be obvious when I get there?

Yes.

There's a trophy for it.

I never beat it.

The Witness Redux

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, February 17, 2017, 20:49 (2617 days ago) @ CyberKN

If I remember correctly it took me 4 straight hours to beat it.

The Witness Redux

by cheapLEY @, Friday, February 17, 2017, 22:13 (2617 days ago) @ Xenos

If I remember correctly it took me 4 straight hours to beat it.

I never did, but I only tried three times before I quit. Then something else came out and I never went back. I'd have to play the whole game again at this point to even attempt it, and I don't think that'll happen.

I think maybe I linked it when the game was still hot, but just in case I didn't, here's a neat video. Giant Bomb talked to Jonathan Blow about the game (and watches him complete The Challenge). Spoilers, obviously.

Mind Blown

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, February 18, 2017, 20:09 (2616 days ago) @ CyberKN

It looks like there is more to the game than there first appears…

http://www.bombingtheuniverse.net/movies/discovery.mp4

I've found a few of these, which do who knows what. Looking forward to figuring it out. No idea if these are required or secret.

No Spoilers:

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, February 18, 2017, 20:17 (2616 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's such a great moment of the game, I think. The first environmental puzzle completely changed the game.

Was that the first one you found, or just a random one you linked? That's a pretty annoying one to get. I actually don't think I ever did. I spotted it but then someone screwed up one of the transitions and didn't have the patience to go back around to get it. There are definitely some really tricky ones in the game.

No Spoilers:

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, February 18, 2017, 20:22 (2616 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, February 18, 2017, 20:41

That's such a great moment of the game, I think. The first environmental puzzle completely changed the game.

Was that the first one you found, or just a random one you linked? That's a pretty annoying one to get. I actually don't think I ever did. I spotted it but then someone screwed up one of the transitions and didn't have the patience to go back around to get it. There are definitely some really tricky ones in the game.

No, the first one I found was the one to activate one of the lasers in the desert. Then I started noticing them elsewhere.

Confused

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, February 19, 2017, 23:44 (2615 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No, the first one I found was the one to activate one of the lasers in the desert. Then I started noticing them elsewhere.

IIRC, none of the lasers require the environment puzzles. Some are in close proximity, but they're not linked.

Anyway, figuring that out was a pretty damn cool moment. :) My first was elsewhere, but I'll not spoil it for you.

Confused

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 20, 2017, 03:27 (2615 days ago) @ Beorn

IIRC, none of the lasers require the environment puzzles. Some are in close proximity, but they're not linked.

Are you sure? the one in the desert doesn't turn on until you trace the cable.

The Witness Redux

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 00:28 (2614 days ago) @ CyberKN

I don't know what you are talking about. Will it be obvious when I get there?

Yes.

There's a trophy for it.

I never beat it.

It wasn't obvious. I finished (or what seems like finished) the game, and I am missing a trophy.

The Witness Redux

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 01:42 (2614 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I wondered about that when he answered you initially. I don't know that it's obvious at all. In fact, if I correctly remember how you get to it, it's actually pretty devious.

The Witness Redux

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 01:47 (2614 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I wondered about that when he answered you initially. I don't know that it's obvious at all. In fact, if I correctly remember how you get to it, it's actually pretty devious.

Too bad my game started over turning everything off or I might look for it.

The Witness Redux

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 01:59 (2614 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's been long enough that I can't be absolutely sure, but I'm reasonably certain you can access a pre-world reset save. I think the game creates a save right before you get in the lift.

The Witness Redux

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 01:59 (2614 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The game creates a new save file when you finish (I think). You should be able to access your last save before finishing by hitting "load game" at the main menu.

I never meant that finding the challenge was obvious, only that it would be obvious when you encountered it.

Re-solving the puzzle on the cube at the top of the mountain (with all the lasers activated) is how you start heading towards it.

The Witness Redux

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 02:06 (2614 days ago) @ CyberKN

The game creates a new save file when you finish (I think). You should be able to access your last save before finishing by hitting "load game" at the main menu.

Yes you are right thankfully.

There is also a major problem with the spoilers tag on here. It does not cover up text in my reply box. I almost saw what you wrote. I'm not sure if there is anything that can be done about that though.

The Witness Redux; Edit

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 02:14 (2614 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by CyberKN, Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 02:24

Yes you are right thankfully.

There is also a major problem with the spoilers tag on here. It does not cover up text in my reply box. I almost saw what you wrote. I'm not sure if there is anything that can be done about that though.

I don't really know if what I wrote was a spoiler, since as far as I know there's nothing in the game world that points you towards "it". It's the sort of thing that you would only find if you spent a lot of time wandering around the world and happened across by chance- and I don't mean like the other puzzles you mentioned in this thread, since those are littered all over the place and most everyone stumbles upon at least one in their playthrough.

I only know about "it" because I was talking about the game with a friend and he pointed me towards it the same way I did in my spoiler tag.

Which is dumb, but there are other things about the witness I think are dumb, so hey.

Scratch that; I just thought of how you could find it.

It's still super easy to miss, though.

The Witness Redux; Edit

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 03:16 (2614 days ago) @ CyberKN

Just a yes or no will do here:

Does it have to do with the door not quite all the way up to the top of the mountain, that is locked by a puzzle that has 2 blue dots, and 2 orange dots, (both on the line path, not in the squares) and a line that stops before you can finish the puzzle?

The Witness Redux; Edit

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 03:24 (2614 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Does it have to do with the door not quite all the way up to the top of the mountain, that is locked by a puzzle that has 2 blue dots, and 2 orange dots, (both on the line path, not in the squares) and a line that stops before you can finish the puzzle?

No.

The Witness Redux; Edit

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 03:35 (2613 days ago) @ CyberKN

No.

That just had a video code behind it.

I think I found what you were talking about…

I did it Cyber

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 23, 2017, 07:36 (2612 days ago) @ CyberKN

All trophies. 100%. Spoilers obviously.

I watched it. What was spoiled?

by Funkmon @, Thursday, February 23, 2017, 10:35 (2612 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

I did it Cyber

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, February 23, 2017, 16:36 (2611 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Nice.

The farthest I ever got was the second column puzzle.

I saw you playing online all last night. Any idea how many attempts/hours you spent on it?

I did it Cyber

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 23, 2017, 16:44 (2611 days ago) @ CyberKN

Nice.

The farthest I ever got was the second column puzzle.

I saw you playing online all last night. Any idea how many attempts/hours you spent on it?

A lot of it was just figuring out how to get in. That one color puzzle was pretty tough. Took me maybe four hours from start to finish to work out how to do it, then to execute. Took me a while to figure out the dots on the pedestal represented panels in the maze you had to solve. Also stuck for a little while not realizing that 4 of the six dot puzzles were impossible and that you didn't have to solve them all.

You Inspire Me

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, February 23, 2017, 17:51 (2611 days ago) @ Cody Miller

On a whim, after reading your last post, I decided to fire up the game and give it another go.

This was attempt number three (after having not touched the game in about a year). I very nearly ran out of time at the end since the pillars gave me so much trouble. Any "hitches" you might see/hear are me doing the PS4 equivalent of alt-tabbing to the capture gallery, to check out the screenshot I took of the pedestal.

Even finished before the 1.05 update finished downloading.

GG, Jonathan Blow. I don't understand (or even like) a lot about The Witness, but boy can you design cool puzzles.

You Inspire Me

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 23, 2017, 18:39 (2611 days ago) @ CyberKN

On a whim, after reading your last post, I decided to fire up the game and give it another go.

This was attempt number three (after having not touched the game in about a year). I very nearly ran out of time at the end since the pillars gave me so much trouble. Any "hitches" you might see/hear are me doing the PS4 equivalent of alt-tabbing to the capture gallery, to check out the screenshot I took of the pedestal.

Even finished before the 1.05 update finished downloading.

GG, Jonathan Blow. I don't understand (or even like) a lot about The Witness, but boy can you design cool puzzles.

Yes, review coming when I have the time to write it. In the next few days.

You Inspire Me

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, February 24, 2017, 04:27 (2611 days ago) @ CyberKN

Just watched it. I think you literally had 3 seconds left! Awesome.

Welcome to the club!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, February 23, 2017, 18:34 (2611 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Those pillar puzzles are the bane of my existence. I think I spent 4-6 hours on the Challenge, and I finished it on the very last beat of the music. :)

I love this game. So many freaking layers. As an essay on the human condition, it's pretty amazing. And the puzzles are fun, too!

Now... have you found the other other ending?

;)

Welcome to the club!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 23, 2017, 18:40 (2611 days ago) @ Beorn

Those pillar puzzles are the bane of my existence. I think I spent 4-6 hours on the Challenge, and I finished it on the very last beat of the music. :)

I love this game. So many freaking layers. As an essay on the human condition, it's pretty amazing. And the puzzles are fun, too!

Now... have you found the other other ending?

;)

Oh man... another one? Ugggg.

The Witness Redux; Edit

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 12:31 (2614 days ago) @ CyberKN

It's brilliant in its simplicity.

There is an unlit cable dangling from the bottom side of the cube. It's easy to overlook, but leads you directly to the bottom of the cube and the rest of the line puzzle you have to trace.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread