For fans of The Witcher 3... (PS4) (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, February 20, 2017, 15:12 (2622 days ago)
edited by Korny, Monday, February 20, 2017, 15:19

The review embargo for Horizon: Zero Dawn lifted today, and reviews are pretty dang positive all around (9.3 from IGN). It's an open-world fantasy style game with robot dinosaurs, which is really all I needed to hear to be sold on the concept, but it's a relief that the story and characters are also getting praise.

They released a trailer highlighting some of the environments in the game, which reminds me of the possibilities that Destiny had (you can walk all the way over there!), and that also serves to give me hope for Destiny 2 (more European Dead Zone, plz Bungie!):

The game comes out next week (2/28), so it's surprising that the review embargo was a week early (or that they had an embargo at all)... Still, that allows plenty of time for preloading for folks on the fence (like I've been).

Great news! Great META news!

by Kahzgul, Monday, February 20, 2017, 16:39 (2622 days ago) @ Korny

It's great to hear that this highly anticipated game is living up to the hype.

It's even better to see that the reviewers were given permission to release those reviews before the release date.

You may know that I'm a staunch "never pre-order" supporter. I firmly believe that buying a game based on advertising instead of actual reviews is bad for the games industry as it encourages devs to put their money into ads rather than actual game development. But this sets a new precedent that is very, very good for everyone involved, especially consumers. Getting reviews out before release dates allows us to pre-order with confidence, based on the strength of the reviews rather than on the trickery of the advertising. Not only that, but it creates a space where reviewers have more time to put out quality reviews rather that same-day rush jobs, and it allows readers to have more time to read reviews from multiple people and - over time - figure out who gives reviews that most accurately reflect your opinions of games.

I'm pleasantly surprised by this unexpected development. Way to go, Horizon team.

Super excited for this game!

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, February 20, 2017, 17:03 (2622 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Also, Korny's post is about Horizon: Zero Dawn, not TW3

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, February 20, 2017, 17:20 (2622 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Thank you :)

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Monday, February 20, 2017, 19:19 (2622 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

For fans of The Witcher 3... (PS4)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, February 20, 2017, 17:48 (2622 days ago) @ Korny

I think the game looks great. Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb have it 5 stars. When Jeff praises a game as highly as his review does, it makes me take notice.

I still suspect, however, that trying to compare the game to The Witcher 3 is only going to lead to disappointment. Obviously it's too early to tell, but I do not think Horizon will live up to that comparison. The voice acting and facial animation don't even come close in the videos I've seen. And I'd be extremely surprised if the lore and especially world design even come close to being as deep and engaging. We all know I'm biased though.

I think it looks fun, but it looks far more Assassin's Creed or Far Cry than TW3 to my eyes. I'll definitely be picking it up next week though.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, February 20, 2017, 19:11 (2622 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think the game looks great. Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb have it 5 stars. When Jeff praises a game as highly as his review does, it makes me take notice.

I still suspect, however, that trying to compare the game to The Witcher 3 is only going to lead to disappointment. Obviously it's too early to tell, but I do not think Horizon will live up to that comparison. The voice acting and facial animation don't even come close in the videos I've seen. And I'd be extremely surprised if the lore and especially world design even come close to being as deep and engaging. We all know I'm biased though.

That's fair, but the lead writer is John Gonzalez, known for his work as the lead writer of Fallout: New Vegas and Shadow of Mordor, and with contributions from Meg Jayanth, who was one of the lead writers on 80 Days.

And you'll be extra reassured by the fact that a number of CD Projekt Red developers worked on the game, so it's got more than a little Witcher 3 in its DNA.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, February 20, 2017, 21:45 (2621 days ago) @ Korny

I hope it's better than I'm expecting in that regard. The gameplay looks fun, and that's enough to sell me.

Patrick Klepek also talked about how good the world and lore are in today's Waypoint podcast, so I am hopeful. At a certain point though, my bias for The Witcher 3 will probably blind me in some regards.

Review Round-Up

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 23:37 (2620 days ago) @ Korny

Reviews look good.

Here's the /r/Games review thread for the game. Lots of high scores. It seems that most highly anticipated AAA games get pretty high scores, so it's hard to judge sometimes, but these all seem really consistent, which looks good.

Player impressions...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 02:15 (2620 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Reviews look good.

Here's the /r/Games review thread for the game. Lots of high scores. It seems that most highly anticipated AAA games get pretty high scores, so it's hard to judge sometimes, but these all seem really consistent, which looks good.

Apparently tons of people have already been playing the game, and seem to have good things to say too (Thread).
I've gone ahead and preordered, so I'll post my impressions as well.

Player impressions...

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 02:22 (2620 days ago) @ Korny

I'm normally very anti-preorder, but impressions of this game are so good that I went ahead and did the same thing. Maybe I'll get lucky and Amazon will deliver it early.

Player impressions...

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 07:00 (2620 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm normally very anti-preorder, but impressions of this game are so good that I went ahead and did the same thing. Maybe I'll get lucky and Amazon will deliver it early.

You can feel good about this move. Anti-preorder is all about refusing to buy a game before the media has a change to properly review it so as to ensure that games are bought on merit and not hype. HZD has given the press that chance.

Player impressions...

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 14:36 (2620 days ago) @ Kahzgul

You can feel good about this move. Anti-preorder is all about refusing to buy a game before the media has a change to properly review it so as to ensure that games are bought on merit and not hype. HZD has given the press that chance.

Yeah, I feel pretty good about it. No multiplayer component means no servers or anything to worry about, either.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread