The latest "why doesn't every game do this?" feature (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, February 25, 2017, 16:05 (2610 days ago)

So Respawn just released another small update for Titanfall 2... a new PvP mode, couple new maps, some balance tweaks... but IMO the real star of the show is their new overhauled matchmaking playlist system.

They have removed almost all playlists from the game. There are now only 3 options to choose from. There is a playlist dedicated to the new game-mode that was just added, another playlist dedicated to the "Colosseum" mode (a special gametype where you need a ticket to enter, a la Trials of Osiris). Then, there is "Mixtape".

The mixtape playlist has been a thing in Titanfall for quite a while. It has always worked the way you would expect it to: a random selection of modes and maps. But now, Mixtape is the sole primary playlist. And it is AWESOME, thanks to a clever little addition.

On the playlist menu screen, there is a "checklist" that runs along the bottom of the screen. This checklist shows an icon for each game mode featured in Titanfall 2. When you select the "Mixtape" playlist, all game modes are "checked" or "turned on" by default. You can then check or uncheck the various game modes on the list, allowing you to customize your own personal "mixtape" playlist. Want to play a mix of Attrition, CTF, and Pilot vs Pilot? Select those 3 options. Only want to play Last Titan Standing? Un-check all other options on the list.

It's so simple, yet so brilliant. Hope to see this design work its way into more games in the future (hint hint, Bungie <3)

My latest "why doesn't every game do this?" feature

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, February 25, 2017, 16:32 (2610 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

On the playlist menu screen, there is a "checklist" that runs along the bottom of the screen. This checklist shows an icon for each game mode featured in Titanfall 2. When you select the "Mixtape" playlist, all game modes are "checked" or "turned on" by default. You can then check or uncheck the various game modes on the list, allowing you to customize your own personal "mixtape" playlist. Want to play a mix of Attrition, CTF, and Pilot vs Pilot? Select those 3 options. Only want to play Last Titan Standing? Un-check all other options on the list.

It's so simple, yet so brilliant. Hope to see this design work its way into more games in the future (hint hint, Bungie <3)

Dice has had that for a while on Battlefield (combining refined server searches with usually-detailed Servers), it's definitely convenient, and a no-brainer to help populate playlists. Real glad that Respawn consolidated playlists like this. I often want to play LTS, but I have more luck finding a game in Mixtape than going into the dedicated LTS playlist.

On an unrelated but topical note, one thing that really stood out to me is a brilliant feature in the otherwise mediocre Ghost Recon Wildlands:
The game gives you matchmaking suggestions based on players that have a compatible playstyle to yours. Do you have a high stealth rating? It will suggest players who also have high stealth ratings. Like to go in guns blazing? How about joining one of these trigger-happy folks?

Really neat stuff.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, February 25, 2017, 17:33 (2610 days ago) @ Korny

I've only played it briefly, but Ghost Recon Wildlands did absolutely nothing to justify its existence. I know it's a matter of taste, but I really struggle to see what anyone would get out of playing that game. It doesn't accomplish any of its apparent design goals more than adequately, and it can't live up to games that already accomplish most of what it's trying to do.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, February 25, 2017, 18:27 (2610 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I've only played it briefly, but Ghost Recon Wildlands did absolutely nothing to justify its existence. I know it's a matter of taste, but I really struggle to see what anyone would get out of playing that game. It doesn't accomplish any of its apparent design goals more than adequately, and it can't live up to games that already accomplish most of what it's trying to do.

I felt the same way. Even at the hardest difficulty, the game is incredibly boring and lackluster. You have to go out of your way to be in a tense situation, otherwise, it's long boring drives between different objectives. Even using a small chopper against an attack helicopter was a "meh" diversion that I had to seek out just to get some variety.

I'm surprised at how bland it is, despite using the basic framework of the fantastic Future Soldier. It really should be way better than it is... Sammy and I were going to try to give it a shot again later today, but I think I've seen enough to write it off the "might buy" list. I was hoping for a more polished ARMA, and all I got was a slower-paced Division.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, February 26, 2017, 00:56 (2610 days ago) @ Korny

I was hoping for a more polished ARMA, and all I got was a slower-paced Division.

Oh, wow. That perfectly described my impressions.

by Durandal, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 20:41 (2607 days ago) @ ZackDark

Wait, you can get slower paced division?!?

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 22:40 (2607 days ago) @ Durandal

Yeah, it's known as the coma the game nearly bored me straight into.

*sings* Welcome to the Open World future

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 06:58 (2607 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Where a game's value is determined by the amount of "content", not the quality. Because you can slap Open World on anything and the drooling masses will buy it.

*sings* Welcome to the Open World future

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 14:58 (2606 days ago) @ someotherguy

Where a game's value is determined by the amount of "content", not the quality. Because you can slap Open World on anything and the drooling masses will buy it.

When I see "Open World" I immediately have negative thoughts about the game. It *SOUNDS* cool, but in any open world game I've played the encounters and experiences are just lack-luster. I'm honestly a fan of designed encounters in a linear level. Give me a raid over patrol, please! Patrol is fine filler activity for when you're waiting for your buddies, but if the entire game is just filler? No Thank You!

The latest "why doesn't every game do this?" feature

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Saturday, February 25, 2017, 16:59 (2610 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've wondered why Bungie never cut out the vote/veto map middle-man and replace it with a system like this since Halo 3. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do.

The latest "why doesn't every game do this?" feature

by Mad_Stylus, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 04:53 (2607 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

In a similar vein:

Just started up with Dark Souls 3. Character creation is both very convenient and really, really cringeworthy.

On the one hand, you need to do a LOT of work to get faces that don't look like potatoes. Its doable, I've seen it, but if your not a pro at working face sliders, you won't look that great.

On the other:

It does a few things that actually work VERY well in terms of convenience.

First, you can see where your slider started. If you move it, it'll leave an icon where it began. You don't have to back out and lose progress, or guess where it started. You can go right back to your okay-ish chin after tweaking the jaw size.

Second, you can -save- presets. Like, if you make a good base face and want to re-use it? You can save it to a slot and re-use it at any point in the future. Useful if you want to have the same face, or you want to start from a good foundation and then edit things further.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread