Xbox Game Pass: Like PSNow, but not streaming. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 12:50 (2613 days ago)

Microsoft introduces Xbox Game Pass.

Short version:
-$10 per month subscription
-over 100 games
-Xbox One and Xbox 360 games
-games can rotate in and out of the Games Pass library
-discounts for purchasing games for Games Pass subscribers
-download games, not streaming

Seems interesting, and could be a great deal depending on what the library is.

Xbox Game Pass: Like PSNow, but not streaming.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 13:01 (2613 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Interesting, but I've never been a fan of subscriptions. I like to own my music. My videos. My games. Will keep an eye on this though...

There are perks to it...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 14:34 (2613 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Interesting, but I've never been a fan of subscriptions. I like to own my music. My videos. My games. Will keep an eye on this though...

Same, but at the same time, PSNow was a huge help in a number of purchasing decisions. I never would have bought the Uncharted games after really disliking the first one, but I finally gave the sequels a try through the streaming, and loved them enough to buy them. I also put an hour into games like Farming Simulator 17 (don't ask), FEAR, and Lost Planet, which helped me decide not to bother buying them.

Helps satiate curiosity, gives you some variety, and does ultimately save you money if you use it enough (My siblings played through a bunch of the Lego games, which they usually buy and burn through in under a month).

The only downside to downloading vs. Streaming is the fact that you have to be pretty sure about the game before you start the download process, but that's still way more convenient than buying a game and deciding that you don't like it...

There are perks to it...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 17:20 (2613 days ago) @ Korny

I also put an hour into games like Farming Simulator 17 (don't ask),

I will get a PS4 so we can play co-op.

On the topic of playing games for cheap

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 13:55 (2613 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Mirror's Edge Catalyst is on sale for $8 right now. I enjoyed the demo, but wasn't interested enough to pay full price at launch. It might be worth snagging it now, though.

Game Pass sounds fairly interesting. I probably won't keep a running subscription, but if they happen to have a few games I'm interested in that are available at the same time, I might pay for a month just to check them out.

-Disciple

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 15:24 (2613 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Mirror's Edge Catalyst is on sale for $8 right now. I enjoyed the demo, but wasn't interested enough to pay full price at launch. It might be worth snagging it now, though.

Game Pass sounds fairly interesting. I probably won't keep a running subscription, but if they happen to have a few games I'm interested in that are available at the same time, I might pay for a month just to check them out.

-Disciple

Thanks for the heads up, I just picked it up.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 16:03 (2613 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 16:12

I think it was worth grabbing at full price.

Not as good as the Original, but it has some cool new ideas. I did a review a while ago on the forum if you trust my opinion.

Also looking forward to people trying to beat my times.

Have they added anything since launch? I rented it.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 18:14 (2613 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Uh, no?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 18:57 (2613 days ago) @ Funkmon

It's a real game dude. You know, where they give you the whole thing right off the bat like they used to.

Uh, no?

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 19:50 (2613 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's a real game dude. You know, where they give you the whole thing right off the bat like they used to.

I guess maybe we should be used to it, but that might be the most reductive thing I've ever seen you write. If that's all that makes a real game, I don't want to play real games. That means no Halo besides the first is a real game, The Witcher 3 isn't a real game, Destiny surely isn't a real game.

Hey, neither was Half-Life or Dragon Slayer!

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 20:28 (2613 days ago) @ cheapLEY

These non real games sound like good company to keep!

The Last of Us had story DLC!?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 20:51 (2613 days ago) @ Funkmon

Why wasn't it included in the original launch? All GOTY awards rescinded, as it wasn't a real game to begin with...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 21:37 (2613 days ago) @ Korny

Why wasn't it included in the original launch? All GOTY awards rescinded, as it wasn't a real game to begin with...

Believe me, the microtransactions with the multiplayer are pretty much the only reason I haven't touched it.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 21:50 (2613 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Believe me, the microtransactions with the multiplayer are pretty much the only reason I haven't touched it.

And yet you played through Titanfall 2, which has multiplayer Microtransactions. Your credibility grows by the second...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 22:34 (2612 days ago) @ Korny

And yet you played through Titanfall 2, which has multiplayer Microtransactions. Your credibility grows by the second...

And have I played any Titanfall 2 multiplayer? Nope. Not a single game.

I didn't know it even had them until now. Thanks. Sorry Cruel, but I won't be trying it.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 22:46 (2612 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I didn't know it even had them until now. Thanks. Sorry Cruel, but I won't be trying it.

Well you should.

You shouldn't let something so arbitrary stop you from something you might enjoy.

You play Destiny for fucks sake, and IT has micro transactions.

Justify it however you like, it's your choice and all that.... but to me, I would expect you to not play any Destiny if you feel as strongly against microtransactions as you say you do.

You don't do them in this game, and you have fun. So what is the bloody difference if you DON'T do them in TitanFall and play some MP?

Scared you might have fun, Mr.Miller?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 22:55 (2612 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Well you should.

Naw man I'm good.

You shouldn't let something so arbitrary stop you from something you might enjoy.

1. It's not really arbitrary, and with that attitude nobody would ever change anything important.

Yeah, that's largely because I was already playing and THEN they rolled them in.

Justify it however you like, it's your choice and all that.... but to me, I would expect you to not play any Destiny if you feel as strongly against microtransactions as you say you do.

As I said that's harder because I was invested before they were introduced.

You don't do them in this game, and you have fun. So what is the bloody difference if you DON'T do them in TitanFall and play some MP?

Because then I'm a number in their metrics, when it would be better not to be.

Scared you might have fun, Mr.Miller?

Not sure why I'd be scared of fun.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 23:02 (2612 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah, that's largely because I was already playing and THEN they rolled them in.

And then you quit for good, and then you gave them an extra $30 to play Rise of Iron, complete with a whole new slew of Microtransactions. Congrats, you're another number in their metrics.

As I said that's harder because I was invested before they were introduced.

But then you were no longer invested, and you came back tail-between-legs, as I've noted before. Not really a lot of resolve, huh?

Since The Last of Us Remastered comes with the DLC content, you should just buy that version and avoid all of the MP add-ons from the last-gen (it's still a great experience. I was replaying it last night while I waited for Horizon to unlock).

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 23:52 (2612 days ago) @ Korny

Since The Last of Us Remastered comes with the DLC content, you should just buy that version and avoid all of the MP add-ons from the last-gen (it's still a great experience. I was replaying it last night while I waited for Horizon to unlock).

That's exactly what I did. I got Last of Us Remastered, played and enjoyed it, and never touched multiplayer.

Internet arguments are dumb.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 02:02 (2612 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

But we are agreeing not arguing!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 02:04 (2612 days ago) @ Funkmon

It's more like a circle jerk.

That's why they're dumb!

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 02:11 (2612 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

On the subject of Microtrans-less games...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 13:41 (2612 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Have you picked up Horizon? It's pretty dang great, and there's almost no hand-holding. If you do pick it up, kick the difficulty up a notch for the best combat experience.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 15:18 (2612 days ago) @ Korny

Have you picked up Horizon? It's pretty dang great, and there's almost no hand-holding. If you do pick it up, kick the difficulty up a notch for the best combat experience.

No. Someone described it like the Witcher 3.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 15:21 (2612 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah. In fact, the bolded part is exactly like The Witcher.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 15:57 (2612 days ago) @ Cody Miller

An open-world fantasy game with a focus on approaching combat encounters strategically? Yeah, a bit like the Witcher 3.

But it's far more polished, faster-paced, and relies on fighting smart rather than pumping damage into damage sponges. Combat is a lot like Bloodborne meets Tomb Raider, and success depends on your ability to adapt to the different fighting abilities of each enemy, while familiarizing yourself with (and developing) your own skills.
A cutscene early on shows Aloy sliding under a Watcher's jump kick and shooting it from below, and it's not a bullshot moment; you can totally do that, and may indeed have to at one point or another.

Sammy couldn't stand playing The Witcher 3, or Bloodborne, but she's put about eight more hours into Horizon than I have.

Plus, it's got a huge emphasis on discovery, but you can totally ignore all side quests and Cauldrons, and push through the game on skill alone. Definitely the most flat-out fun game that I've played in a long while.

My thoughts to come soon.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 17:32 (2612 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I haven't played enough Horizon yet (6 hours or so). I'll get pretty far tonight, I think, and post up some thoughts tomorrow. Quickly, I'll say that I'm really enjoying it. Comparisons to The Witcher 3 are complicated. Some are warranted, some not. Despite superficial comparisons, the games barely feel like they're in the same genre. I have played nothing but The Witcher 3 so far this year, and I'm about two hours from finishing my fourth playthrough at about 75 hours for this time through, so I have quite a few (admittedly biased) thoughts on the comparison.

More to come tomorrow, for the few of you that might be interested.

Not arguing, schooling Cody. It's what I do best.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 02:11 (2612 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

I do find it amusing

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 07:11 (2612 days ago) @ Korny

That I have a lot of similar views to Cody in terms of microtransactions and similar corporate bs and I was a lot more invested in Destiny for Year 1. But where he makes grand statements and ultimatums (without following through), I just quietly slunk off in the night.

Protip: You dont have to voice your opinions so loud just to prove you have them Cody. Just act on them.

Also HI EVERYONE. IM STILL ALIVE o/

I do find it amusing

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 15:20 (2612 days ago) @ someotherguy

I voice them because doing so on here provides an interesting starting point for discussion of such issues. I know for a fact I have changed heart and mind about investment systems and microtransactions of a few people around here.

I do find it amusing

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 20:38 (2612 days ago) @ someotherguy

Also HI EVERYONE. IM STILL ALIVE o/

Very glad to hear.

Dude, they're cosmetic

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 18:34 (2612 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I hate the general trend of microtransactions permeating games as much as the next guy... but you're taking things to a bit of a silly place here :)

Just my opinion of course, but Titanfall 2 is THE BEST PvP shooter I've ever played. I love almost every single thing about it. People can buy different skins for their weapons through microtransactions. They release new maps and game modes for free for everyone. If that's a deal breaker for you, then that's your decision. Just seems like a silly reason to boycott a game... especially when you've already bought it!

Dude, they're cosmetic

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 20:48 (2612 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I hate the general trend of microtransactions permeating games as much as the next guy... but you're taking things to a bit of a silly place here :)

Just my opinion of course, but Titanfall 2 is THE BEST PvP shooter I've ever played. I love almost every single thing about it. People can buy different skins for their weapons through microtransactions. They release new maps and game modes for free for everyone. If that's a deal breaker for you, then that's your decision. Just seems like a silly reason to boycott a game... especially when you've already bought it!

That's what makes it tough. You think giving up a new Deus Ex game was easy either?

Dude, they're cosmetic

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 20:58 (2612 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's what makes it tough. You think giving up a new Deus Ex game was easy either?

It just seems to me (again, someone who generally dislikes microtransactions), that Respawn is one of the few developers that is implementing MTs in a way that actually benefits the entire player base, including those who never spend extra money.

Optional cosmetic items that players can buy if they want to, and everyone gets free maps and modes. It's worth noting that the game ships with dozens of different skins and patterns available to everyone, so it's not like players who don't buy MTs get short changed on that front.

Seems to me like Titanfall 2 should be appreciated for the responsible way they've incorporated microtransactions, not punished because other games have used them in bad ways.

Dude, they're cosmetic

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 21:50 (2612 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Pyromancy, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 21:55

I hate 'Micro Transactions' just as much as the next guy as well and while I truly appreciate your stance, devotion, and principle; you are not accomplishing whatever you think that you are trying to besides denying yourself a gaming experience from a universe that you clearly love. Its not like the developer is saying, "There is a disturbance in The Force, the one and only Cody Miller is not currently playing our game. We need to fix this and remove 'Micro Transactions' immediately!!!!!!!!!!!". If you think you are part of some HUGE ground swell or underground movement that is participating in a total prohibition of games with 'Micro Transactions' I'd like to see the clubhouse where you all meet together and plan which games to not buy.
There is no sales metric that the developer/publisher can pull/poll for "folks who did not buy our game because we monetized it, broke our gameplay architecture, and forced 'Micro Transactions' into the main menu"

Same goes for pre-orders. I don't pre-order games based on principle (I admit, it is dumb of me), there are A LOT of folks that do not pre-order games any longer too (we don't have a clubhouse), however pre-orders and evil pre-order bonuses still exist and will continue to go on existing until something truly significant is done to change it. It is clearly not enough to just not participate and stick our heads in the sand and pretend like pre-orders do not exist. I don't think this means that it is all ok to start pre-ordering again, I think it means that something more needs to be done.

If we want to do something about these issues in the gaming world, we should actually do something about it, not just withdraw and pretend like "we are voting with our dollars". There are not enough of us purposefully "voting with our dollars" and too many that are just willing to buy it/pre-order and not even think twice about it.

(My intention is NOT to try to take up an internet argument, apply peer pressure onto you, box you into a corner, or 'school you')

Dude, they're cosmetic

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 22:12 (2612 days ago) @ Pyromancy

The thing is I'm not actually giving up much. It might be a great experience. So what? So are a million other things. I'm completely fine with the fact I may pass up good games.

Uh, no?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 21:35 (2613 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I guess maybe we should be used to it, but that might be the most reductive thing I've ever seen you write. If that's all that makes a real game, I don't want to play real games. That means no Halo besides the first is a real game, The Witcher 3 isn't a real game, Destiny surely isn't a real game.

I did not say if and only if. lern 2 logic.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread