MUSIC OF THE SPHERES mock up coming soon! (Destiny)

by OS_Epsilon, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 10:26 (2612 days ago)

Okay, first time posting here I guess. I've made a significant number of posts about this in the past at r/DestinyTheGame, but different people come over here so I thought this would be a great additional place to post this final version.

After well over 430 days, MANY different people helping out, and at least 3 other versions of MotS with my name on it for creation, I am nearing being ready to post one final version of MotS with all 48 minutes (what I think is, at least), the track names and planets (for ex. The Path is the Moon) have also been added. It's interesting listening and trying to understand what Destiny must have been at the time of making MotS, as the Path sounds nothing like what the Moon we have now. With this post being more a heads up/announcement, I certainly don't want to come up empty handed so I'm going to post an "RTX" for The Union (Mercury). Mixing may change. Thoughts? I can't wait to share the full thing, I hope you guys enjoy this. This isn't just my project, it is also my friend Tlohtzin's and another friend, MobileFlounder1 on SoundCloud did do great stuff with the Union. If you wanna hear our version of the Path as well, go to this album. It will be updated on release day, assuming it does not get pushed back.

MUSIC OF THE SPHERES mock up coming soon!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 12:53 (2612 days ago) @ OS_Epsilon

Welcome! Thanks for crossing over and sharing with us.

I probably won't be able to give this a listen until this evening but I'll certainly leave a comment or two once I'm able. In the meantime, I'd love to hear more about this project. Like: what's your musical background, what got you interested in filling out what little we got to hear of MOTS, and how did you approach coming up with music for the rest of the planets?

by OS_Epsilon, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 13:06 (2612 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Oooooh man I am so glad you asked!

My musical background is that when I was 6 I wanted to tell stories through art. Then Tourette's and a hand tremor came and now I can't write to this day. Then in 2007, when I was 7, I heard my brother playing Halo 3 and the music I heard from that very moment was what made me want to be a composer. And for how I found MotS, well that's a much longer story. I'm sure MOST of us here know about Marty getting fired and sued. Well, the short version is that I read through that court document when I was bored because I (to this day) could not go to school for medical reasons. So in that document it went into detail about how MotS was not "confidential information" as so much of it was used in the first Destiny game (40 min, to be exact) and there was more bits around the web and YouTube that they used in some Behind the Scenes ViDocs, E3 trailers, and such. It's why Marty wasn't in trouble for playing pieces of it in public; because they already used so much of it that it was considered "piecemeal".

Also

by OS_Epsilon, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 13:13 (2612 days ago) @ Ragashingo

For how I knew what was what, the official soundtrack had excerpts from every movement. The Traveler was Excerpt from the Path and Lost Horizons was Excerpt from the Prison, so I had every movement's main theme/feel to go off of (I figured out what the alternate track names were from some detective work, those are not common knowledge). From there I went through the gamerip of Destiny's soundtrack and every audio bit on the disc (7 hours worth of audio) and made speculations on what I believed made sense. The planet names are as follows:

The Path - The Moon
The Union - Mercury
The Ruin - Venus
The Tribulation - The Sun
The Rose - Mars
The Ecstasy - Jupiter
The Prison - Saturn
The Hope - The Traveler on Earth

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 13:11 (2612 days ago) @ OS_Epsilon

I wonder if you will get a takedown notice like that kid did when he compiled it and filled in the missing pieces. Odds are better now that Harold isn't in charge. Good luck.

by OS_Epsilon, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 13:14 (2612 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by OS_Epsilon, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 13:18

Uh, I am the kid that compiled it and posted it all that time ago. The story of the takedown notice is for when I make the full post.*

EDIT - *Harold Ryan had nothing to do with that. I needed permission to use work with MotS at Guardian Con and so I contacted DeeJ and said, hey can I use this at this convention? 27 days later he said I couldn't recreate MotS at all, but the thing is they had zero right to do that. Legally speaking, I have every right to cover any piece of music so long as it is publicly used. If THIS one gets a takedown notice we're gonna have problems. I

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 13:16 (2612 days ago) @ OS_Epsilon

Uh, I am the kid that compiled it and posted it all that time ago. The story of the takedown notice is for when I make the full post.

Oh. Haha. I am eager to hear man.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread