School me on the PS4 systems please (Destiny)

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 12:35 (2608 days ago)

I'm considering picking up a PS4 for both D2 and a few other games that are only on the PS4. Does it really matter which version I buy (reg, slim, pro)? What are some pros and cons of each choice?

right now I can get a PS4 Slim w/ uncharted 4 for $255 on Amazon. I can also get the PS4 Pro for $400 with no games. I'm just wondering if the Pro is really that much of an upgrade?

Do you have a 4K TV or plan to get one soon?

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 13:10 (2608 days ago) @ unoudid

That's really the primary question for whether to get a Slim or a Pro.

Now, take this all with a grain of salt, since I don't have a Pro and have only used one a few times for a total of about forty minutes. The Pro really is just basically for 4K and HDR output. We've seen a few games that have some advantages for non-4K uses, but I've yet to see or hear of an example that really makes the extra money seem worth it. Nioh has different game modes and can focus on better framerate, for example. Rise of the Tomb Raider allows you to just bump up the graphics effects, I think. From what I've heard, even if you don't have a 4K TV, the game will still run at a higher resolution and downsample to 1080 for TV, which can result in a better, sharper image.

But the consensus (as much as there can be one--this is the internet, after all) is that if you don't have a 4K TV and don't plan on getting one, just get a Slim. I have a base PS4, and Horizon Zero Dawn is still one of (if not the) best looking games I've ever played. I saw it my buddy's house (who buys just about every new video game gadget that ever comes out) on a Pro and 4K TV, and while I can appreciate the difference, it didn't make me think my experience on a base PS4 was any worse, or the game any less gorgeous.

Nope

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 14:07 (2608 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I doubt I'd get the playstation VR set either. So really no reason to spend the extra money on the Pro it seems.

If you get a PS, you should get a PSVR to play Golem.

by Funkmon @, Monday, March 06, 2017, 13:13 (2607 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

Still patiently waiting for Golem.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, March 06, 2017, 13:44 (2607 days ago) @ Funkmon

Thankfully my NES Classic is keeping me entertained in the meantime.

Interesting

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 15:42 (2608 days ago) @ cheapLEY

As a vanilla PS4/XB1 owner, I was kind of holding out on Horizon until I got a PS4 Pro. I have a 4K TV but no HDR, so I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't worry about it.

I'm getting a switch and BOTW when I can so I'm in no hurry no matter what though.

Going to go play some DOOM and No Man's Sky now...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

School me on the PS4 systems please

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 14:28 (2608 days ago) @ unoudid

I'm considering picking up a PS4 for both D2 and a few other games that are only on the PS4. Does it really matter which version I buy (reg, slim, pro)? What are some pros and cons of each choice?

right now I can get a PS4 Slim w/ uncharted 4 for $255 on Amazon. I can also get the PS4 Pro for $400 with no games. I'm just wondering if the Pro is really that much of an upgrade?

I'm sure Korny will weigh in soon, but I know he is pleased with his PRO.

I guess it depends on the TV you currently have, and if you have plans to upgrade it in the near future.

If you just want to get into the eco system and take advantage of the PS4 exclusives, you will def save a chunk of change getting a slim bundle.

But, if you want to "future proof" your console a bit, the Pro would probably be the better investment.

I would GUESS that Destiny 2 will look really good on a PRO, but I would also expect it to look better because they finally dropped support for last gen.

For us it didn't make sense to upgrade. 1080P still looks great to me. Anything higher I'll play on my Laptop. YMMV.

Food for thought: I wish I would not have been an early adopter for the Xbox One. Had I known they were going to release their slim so soon after, I would have waited and I wish that is the one I had under my TV. With my PS4, I don't feel that way, but I don't see the need to upgrade it either. I don't play as many games as Cruel and Korny (I'm picky) but I've had zero complaints. Bloodborne, Doom, Wolfenstein and few others looks pretty damn great.

But every year, a game like The last of us, or Horizon zero dawn crop up and really show you what a console is capable of. If you value that 'rare' premium experience, it might be worth the price to you.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 14:35 (2608 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Destiny 2 isn't going to offer a significant advantage on the Pro. You're not going to get 60 FPS because then it would give you an advantage over PS4 players in crucible. So the only other option is slightly better visuals.

FTFY

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 18:37 (2608 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Destiny isn't going to offer a significant advantage on the PS4. You're not going to get 60 FPS because then it would give you an advantage over PS3 players in crucible. So the only other option is slightly better visuals.

Yeh, I like the sound of better visuals, even if the game runs the same way.

PS4 Pro is lame

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 14:33 (2608 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

Don't do it man.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 14:45 (2608 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

Don't worry. I'd still main xb1 for Destiny

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 21:40 (2608 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

What Korny has to say WILL SHOCK YOU!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 16:06 (2608 days ago) @ unoudid
edited by Korny, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 16:23

If you plan to get a PS4 mainly for D2, I'd say hold off until a better deal is available for the Pro (Not too long ago there was a deal that included two games with the console). The Pro isn't really supported too much yet, so unless you plan to get a 4K tv, or you really want to have 4K screens, 1080p clips, or slightly upgraded visuals and short loading screens across most games now now now, I'd say to wait on it until there are sales.

It's worth the investment to future-proof against games for the rest of the generation, and the improvements over the regular PS4 are significant (Witcher 3 loads in about 20 seconds now, up from the 40+ seconds that it used to take, and other quality of life improvements), so I have no doubt that you'd be happier with a Pro.

I really don't recommend getting a Slim if you can avoid it, as it doesn't really improve on the original console in any way (and in fact makes a few minor sacrifices), and you can usually find the original for a much better deal. The original is definitely still a solid console (it's what Sammy is playing Horizon on, and it is still a beautiful game without a dip in framerate or quality).

If you do get one now, there are tons of great games that will tide you over (The Last of Us is pretty mandatory, and Bloodborne if you want a faster Souls game) until D2, but still, no sense in spending more than you need to. Plus, don't worry about hard drive size, as the next update this month will add external hard drive support.

by slycrel ⌂, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 19:30 (2608 days ago) @ unoudid

Only you can make that decision. Here's some info from another perspective that seems to have not shown up in this thread yet.

You're looking at $145 difference for probably many many many hours of gameplay. It doesn't matter much right now, but It will matter much more after a year or so. So... are you going to be spending significant time with the PS4, and plan to be using it actively in a year's time? If so, that extra up front cost is likely worth it. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that it has nearly twice the horsepower of the regular PS4. That doesn't matter much now, but it will down the road as games opt into using that extra power, and leaving the older version as a baseline (but sub-par) experience.

I've got a VR instead of a Pro this past fall. It's only a matter of time until I upgrade, but it's not hugely important for me just yet. Unless you're looking at 4k and some small conveniences, it's minor and I already have the system.

If I were buying a new system I'd totally go with the pro.

+1 For good point.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 19:55 (2608 days ago) @ slycrel

Only you can make that decision. Here's some info from another perspective that seems to have not shown up in this thread yet.

You're looking at $145 difference for probably many many many hours of gameplay. It doesn't matter much right now, but It will matter much more after a year or so. So... are you going to be spending significant time with the PS4, and plan to be using it actively in a year's time? If so, that extra up front cost is likely worth it. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that it has nearly twice the horsepower of the regular PS4. That doesn't matter much now, but it will down the road as games opt into using that extra power, and leaving the older version as a baseline (but sub-par) experience.

I've got a VR instead of a Pro this past fall. It's only a matter of time until I upgrade, but it's not hugely important for me just yet. Unless you're looking at 4k and some small conveniences, it's minor and I already have the system.

If I were buying a new system I'd totally go with the pro.

I've been watching Sammy play Horizon more than I've been playing anything, and the thought crossed my mind how she doesn't need a Pro at all yet... but at some point she will, especially since she's looking for a deal on 4k TVs. If no new console comes out before 2020, I'd rather get her a Pro now and have it improve the experience rather than watching the regular PS4 lose more and more support down the road.

Like I've said before, I've been more than happy with the Pro already, but I didnt have dumb expectations about it like Cody did (magically converting all games to 60fps wtf?)

That is a good point.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 19:59 (2608 days ago) @ slycrel

As much as I really don't think the Pro is currently worth it, I'd still absolutely buy one if I was looking to jump on the PS4 train right now.

PS4 Pro

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 19:48 (2608 days ago) @ unoudid

Wait for deal, though. If you don't get the pro you'll later wish you did.

I would not tell any current PS4 owner to upgrade, but new buyers should buy it if they can afford it.

Does Optical Audio matter to you?

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 23:32 (2608 days ago) @ unoudid

The PS4 Slim does not have an Optical Audio Out like the original PS4 (and Pro) do - which really only matters if you plan to use Astros (or other high-end gaming headsets that require Optical for the full experience). I think there might be some adapters available, or other workarounds... But if you don't need the Optical Audio out, I see no reason to not go ahead and get the Slim.

Thank you for this.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 06, 2017, 15:25 (2607 days ago) @ Speedracer513

The PS4 Slim does not have an Optical Audio Out like the original PS4 (and Pro) do - which really only matters if you plan to use Astros (or other high-end gaming headsets that require Optical for the full experience). I think there might be some adapters available, or other workarounds... But if you don't need the Optical Audio out, I see no reason to not go ahead and get the Slim.

I'm not buying another PS4 right now, but I wouldn't have thought to check for this when the time came - I probably would have bought a Slim, and been really disappointed.

+1

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, March 06, 2017, 18:08 (2607 days ago) @ Claude Errera

As an Astro A40 TR w/ Mixamp user I would have been sorely disappointed if I bought the slim and then found out didn't have the Optical output slot.

I was very surprised when I found this out.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 06, 2017, 16:07 (2607 days ago) @ Speedracer513

- No text -

I wouldn't do anything until all Scorpio details drop - E3?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, March 06, 2017, 01:06 (2608 days ago) @ unoudid
edited by Pyromancy, Monday, March 06, 2017, 01:56

Know the full landscape of the near future before making a final decision.

I've been dreaming about a particular 4K TV but I haven't seen the price get to the sweet spot I set for it in my mind. At this point I may be into next years TV models, which isn't the end of the world since the market for fully supported native 4K and full HDR media doesn't quite seem to be there in droves yet.

The slim models and the Pro have been dumb and totally ridiculous in my mind. The advantage is that I haven't HAD to buy into them yet. None of my equipment has been breaking. I'm not one to put the cart before the horse and I've been content with what has been a great TV over the years and the day 1 consoles. If I had upgraded to the Slims or Pro at all it would have been a total waste. I'm excited for Scorpio details and hope that it is an all in full generation -ish upgrade and not more of this awful middling that has been going on.

Was the Neo the PS4 Pro? Or is there something more on the way?
Don't forget, I'm the out of touch guy that wrote off gaming press a number of years ago.

Maybe I will just drop the consoles and go the PC route?

Boost mode is on the way...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 06, 2017, 02:15 (2608 days ago) @ unoudid

There's apparently a "boost mode" feature in the works for the PS4 Pro. Members of Sony's preview program have already tested it. What it does, apparently, is boosts the performance of older PS4 games, without the original developers needing to patch-in support. So older PS4 games might show improved frame rates, faster load times, etc.

Not a huge deal on its own, but a cool feature, and one that doesn't require a 4K tv to benefit from.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 06, 2017, 15:06 (2607 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Right but here is the thing. That can often make the experience less smooth. If you look at FF15, the PS4 boost gives you an increase in frame rate, but that increase puts the frame rate at between 40 and 50. If your frame rate is not a multiple of the refresh rate, motion will not look smooth if the game is v synced, and if it isn't you will get tearing. This is why locked 60 or locked 30 is so important, or else having some kind of adaptive sync like g sync.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 06, 2017, 16:33 (2607 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Right but here is the thing. That can often make the experience less smooth. If you look at FF15, the PS4 boost gives you an increase in frame rate, but that increase puts the frame rate at between 40 and 50. If your frame rate is not a multiple of the refresh rate, motion will not look smooth if the game is v synced, and if it isn't you will get tearing. This is why locked 60 or locked 30 is so important, or else having some kind of adaptive sync like g sync.

Good point. I haven't seen anything running in boost mode myself, so everything I know about it is 2nd or 3rd hand. They discussed it on the Bombcast, and were mostly talking about examples where the original release had significant slowdown in areas, and how Boost mode seemed to improve those areas.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread