Age Of Triumph Reveal Teaser (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, March 06, 2017, 16:26 (2606 days ago)

Vault of Glass is back; screw everything else.

Age Of Triumph Reveal Teaser

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 06, 2017, 16:29 (2606 days ago) @ CyberKN

The good:

VoG is back! YAAAAAAAY!

The bad:

"Biggest record book yet"

Checklists are not content! Booooooo!!!

^^^ I mean that in a mostly sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek way :)

by digital_ronin, Monday, March 06, 2017, 16:43 (2606 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

"Biggest record book yet"

Checklists are not content! Booooooo!!!

I'll be curious to see how much of that checklist will be already be completed the first time I open it, like the year 1 and year 2 moments of triumph. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever beat Aksis challenge mode, so I should work on that before VoG is back.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, March 06, 2017, 16:39 (2606 days ago) @ CyberKN

Oh cool, that class item vendor finally gets lines.

Also,
[image]

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, March 06, 2017, 16:44 (2606 days ago) @ bluerunner

#FatebringerWillNeverNotBeTheBestGun

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 06, 2017, 17:27 (2606 days ago) @ bluerunner

Also,
[image]

Has Destiny always had that large-aperture depth of field and I'm just now noticing?

I think it's artistic license

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, March 06, 2017, 17:59 (2606 days ago) @ Kermit

I don't believe it's activated in normal gameplay, no. But it's the same effect used in cutscenes, so it's in the engine.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 06, 2017, 18:48 (2606 days ago) @ Beorn

Yeah, as soon as I posted that I thought about how problematic it would be in gameplay--the game doesn't know where your eyes are trying to focus.

I'd be curious about whether it would help or hinder the experience if they figured out how to do that with VR someday.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, March 06, 2017, 18:50 (2606 days ago) @ Kermit

I've noticed it when you're aiming down sights, since the game knows where you're focused, but not when aiming from the hip like in the trailer. Like Beorn said, it's probably an effect that they can turn on in the debug build...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 06, 2017, 18:53 (2606 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah, as soon as I posted that I thought about how problematic it would be in gameplay--the game doesn't know where your eyes are trying to focus.

I'd be curious about whether it would help or hinder the experience if they figured out how to do that with VR someday.

It actually does appear in-game. You can easily see the effect in any of the social spaces, when you maneuver the camera such that your guardian is right up close to it, but not in the Center of your view.

I could be mistaken, but I think you see similar effects while aiming down sights/scopes as well. It's subtle, and only applied to objects that are on the edges of your view and way up close to you.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 06, 2017, 19:11 (2606 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I could be mistaken, but I think you see similar effects while aiming down sights/scopes as well. It's subtle, and only applied to objects that are on the edges of your view and way up close to you.

You're right, of course, and I should've remembered it because I really hate that implementation. I didn't slave over my character creation screens knowing I'd rarely get a good look at their faces again.

What are there, three or four cutscenes showing the guardians' faces? A few of which you get to see only once?

Sigh.

A proper photo mode would be nice!

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, March 06, 2017, 19:47 (2606 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, March 06, 2017, 19:19 (2606 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by DiscipleN2k, Monday, March 06, 2017, 19:54

I seem to remember someone talking about doing this years ago. They'd track where your eyes were focused and slightly fuzz everything in your peripheral vision. The main purpose was to save processing power, but it worked to make things a bit more realistic, as well.

I'll post a link if I can find it, but I'm supposed to be working so I may or may not end up tracking it down.

-Disciple

Edit: Got it. Foveated Rendering. The article is only a few months old, but I'm fairly certain it's been a thing for at least a couple of years.

It's in the game, but it's not true depth of field

by Kahzgul, Monday, March 06, 2017, 23:25 (2606 days ago) @ Beorn

They just blur things on the edges of the screen when you're ADS-ing. The screenshot in question is either mid-ADS or mid-stop ADSing. This is more obvious in a still image, but in motion you see that the camera is also zooming a tad at the same time as the blur is applied.

Can I be annoyed by the fake hype?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, March 06, 2017, 17:21 (2606 days ago) @ CyberKN

Let's see...

• THAB says nothing and we will talk on Friday
  • Friday says we'll tell you stuff next week
  • Monday yields a trailer to hype a livestream on Wednesday
  • That's pretty much a full week of leading us on

*fatebringer better have arc damage still

+1

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, March 06, 2017, 17:42 (2606 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

+2

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, March 06, 2017, 19:26 (2606 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 06, 2017, 19:13 (2606 days ago) @ unoudid

Let's see...

• THAB says nothing and we will talk on Friday
  • Friday says we'll tell you stuff next week
  • Monday yields a trailer to hype a livestream on Wednesday
  • That's pretty much a full week of leading us on

*fatebringer better have arc damage still

You're confusing pre-pre-pre-hype, pre-pre-hype, and pre-hype with hype. Totally different things.

+1 +2 +3

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, March 06, 2017, 19:19 (2606 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, March 06, 2017, 19:27 (2606 days ago) @ Kermit

You're confusing pre-pre-pre-hype, pre-pre-hype, and pre-hype with hype. Totally different things.

Can you get Hyped by pre-Hype?

A slightly funny video that's in no way related to the reveal.

Funniest thing I have seen in a week.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, March 07, 2017, 03:46 (2605 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

dying

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, March 07, 2017, 13:35 (2605 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, March 06, 2017, 19:28 (2606 days ago) @ Kermit

[edit] This was meant for uno's post, not Kermits [/edit]

Just be excited. They brought in J.J. Abrams to re-invigorate the franchise by re-booting the original Strike.

It's gunna be great. Believe me. Nobody knows more about this than those guys. It'll be Euge.

Eat your 'member berries.

"relive your finest moments" = replay existing content?

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, March 06, 2017, 19:26 (2606 days ago) @ CyberKN

b/c....record books?

^ This

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 06, 2017, 20:26 (2606 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

b/c....record books?

I'm a bit torn about this. I LOVE VoG, and I'd even love an updated Crota's End as well. I just hope that there is something new being brought to the table. Maybe modifiers and/or burns, new encounters... I don't know. Something other than the exact same raids we already have but now with level 400 loot. We'll know more soon enough :)

^ This

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, March 06, 2017, 20:34 (2606 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I just hope that there is something new being brought to the table. Maybe modifiers and/or burns, new encounters... I don't know. Something other than the exact same raids we already have but now with level 400 loot. We'll know more soon enough :)

I'm guessing that, generally speaking, that's exactly what it is. VoG but modified in some way. The question is, to what degree?

But to be honest, if the original VoG weapons come back, I won't care what else is going on.

I'm a bad person, but.

by ProbablyLast, Monday, March 06, 2017, 20:38 (2606 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I hope everything is exactly the same but updated to current light levels. Don't want them to ruin the raids like they did the original strikes.

I'm a bad person, but.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 06, 2017, 20:46 (2606 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

I hope everything is exactly the same but updated to current light levels. Don't want them to ruin the raids like they did the original strikes.

I mean, I totally get where you're coming from.

I guess I'm just at a point with Destiny where I don't give a f*** about light levels or upgrading gear just for the sake of watching numbers go up... so if that's all they're adding, then there really isn't anything for me to get excited about.

That said, it would be great to see people jumping into VoG a bit more often again.

I'm a bad person, but.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, March 06, 2017, 23:15 (2606 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That said, it would be great to see people jumping into VoG a bit more often again.

This is the only part I'm all that excited about. I hit max light a while ago, and I don't care about collecting, so there's no loot left that I care about chasing. At this point, I only play because it's fun to play with friends. I can't wait to have an excuse to get back into the Vault with some DBOers again.

-Disciple

I'm a bad person, but.

by DEEP_NNN, Monday, March 06, 2017, 22:34 (2606 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

I want newish and updated content. Even if it ruins VoG or other raids, I want it.

Playing the original content with new light levels ain't making it for me. Boring.

I am not a fan of current hard modes either. Not enough content to warrant the extra headaches. Sadistically and masochistically boring.

Why not have the old raids PLUS ruin them?

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, March 07, 2017, 03:50 (2605 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

It would be neat if you could run the normal raids as normal, then the ruined ones as hard, and both gave max light crap. Like the first raids!

Would make too much sense.

by ProbablyLast, Tuesday, March 07, 2017, 04:47 (2605 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

I'm a bad person, but.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, March 14, 2017, 22:05 (2598 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

I am with you but would even take it one step further: keep the raids exactly the same including the light level. Basically don't touch anything.

Bungie is better suited by putting 100% of their energy into new things for Des2ny. These types of content updates are never of high quality. The ones that are are like TTK, and of course need massive amounts of resources.

^ This

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, March 06, 2017, 20:40 (2606 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

b/c....record books?

I'm a bit torn about this. I LOVE VoG, and I'd even love an updated Crota's End as well. I just hope that there is something new being brought to the table. Maybe modifiers and/or burns, new encounters... I don't know. Something other than the exact same raids we already have but now with level 400 loot. We'll know more soon enough :)

Honestly, if the VoG had level light level 400 loot it'd get me back into Destiny for a little while. WotM was a well done raid, but the encounters just lack something that the VoG encounters had, and none of the other paths to 400 really entice me.

Also, I don't have a compelling reason to try and get to 400, especially now that I know my character's light level won't carry over to D2... Tho' if I could make it there in the VoG? I might just try for the fun of it. (huh, interesting)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, March 06, 2017, 22:10 (2606 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

"Relive your finest moments"= shooting into a cave for hours.

Not sure I would lootcave again.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, March 07, 2017, 11:55 (2605 days ago) @ bluerunner

The new guns are too samey. What's the point?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, March 06, 2017, 22:51 (2606 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

b/c....record books?

No. Because presumably somebody enjoyed the game and will enjoy a final look back.

I'm hoping for maybe an interesting alternate version of the Vault of Glass and a few tounge in cheek quests that highlight the stuff I did and poke fun at Destiny's problems along the way. If I can complete a page of a Record Book that shows I blocked a million billion damage with Ward of Dawn over these last three years then all the better. :)

Defender is OP as hell.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Monday, March 06, 2017, 23:04 (2606 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, March 07, 2017, 00:52 (2606 days ago) @ CyberKN

It's going to be lame. They are probably just adding scoring or some shit, and tracking how many oracles or gorgons we destroy. Very skeptical.

See you in Destiny 2.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, March 07, 2017, 01:00 (2606 days ago) @ CyberKN

Guess I'll just continue to be that guy, but this pretty much just convinces I'm okay with continuing not playing Destiny. I'll catch up with you folks in Destiny 2.

That guy is an idiot.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, March 07, 2017, 01:55 (2606 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Ragashingo, Tuesday, March 07, 2017, 02:23

Guess I'll just continue to be that guy...

Which guy? The guy who makes decisions and is convinced of something two days before he can possibly know what's coming?! You're being an idiot.

Like Destiny? Tired of Destiny?Hate Destiny? Fine. But by being "that guy" you're tossing any semblance of intellectual honesty out the window. I don't expect a celebration / look back at a flawed game to pull people back. There are some truly great games out now and coming out soon. And, if you'd waited two days and said the same thing it would have made sense.

But yeah, you had to be "that guy." It's people like you with attitudes that make less than zero sense that make my blood boil!

I'd say more... a lot more... but in the immortal words of Woody:

The words I'm searching for - I can't say, because Destiny is rated T for Teen.

Lol fair enough.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, March 07, 2017, 02:30 (2606 days ago) @ Ragashingo

If that's enough to make your blood boil, you should maybe reconsider hanging out on the internet. It can't be good for your blood pressure.

That guy is an idiot.

by Avateur @, Tuesday, March 07, 2017, 02:36 (2606 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Avateur, Tuesday, March 07, 2017, 02:43

Which guy? The guy who makes decisions and is convinced of something two days before he can possibly know what's coming?! You're being an idiot.

Like Destiny? Tired of Destiny?Hate Destiny? Fine. But by being "that guy" you're tossing any semblance of intellectual honesty out the window. I don't expect a celebration / look back at a flawed game to pull people back. There are some truly great games out now and coming out soon. And, if you'd waited two days and said the same thing it would have made sense.

But yeah, you had to be "that guy." It's people like you with attitudes that make less than zero sense that make my blood boil!

Well, at least you're still winning at irony.

Um... wrong thread? Cody got zinged a few posts down.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, March 07, 2017, 02:46 (2606 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

That guy is an idiot.

by petetheduck, Tuesday, March 07, 2017, 22:58 (2605 days ago) @ Avateur

Well, at least you're still winning at irony.

I was thinking the other day, about how long we've been playing together. I definitely felt like a part of this community during the HBO days, but it just didn't come together here at DBO. Maybe it's the game, maybe it's Bungie, maybe it's growing up and everything that involves.. but I really enjoyed those times and I'm glad we still game here and there. Maybe one day we'll hit up a con or something. I don't think Destiny 2 will be the game we play like we played Halo.

Anyway, then I came by DBO for the first time in what feels like months to see if there was discussion about some reveal that I thought was today (turns out it is tomorrow), and here's Raga being the same insufferable fool he was last time I was here.

That guy is an idiot.

by Avateur @, Wednesday, March 08, 2017, 00:04 (2605 days ago) @ petetheduck

Destiny is too flawed to capture that old non-343 Halo essence. But we played the hell out of Destiny, and that Vault of Glass run a few weeks back was fun. Bungie may seriously surprise us with the sequel. Who knows. I know we'll both be on it. I wish you enjoyed Overwatch, but hey, can't like em all.

Also, tomorrow's "reveal" probably won't be that special. But when the Destiny 2 stuff gets going (barring any delay), this place will light up nicely.

Tired of using non-343 Halo as a tired point of debate

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, March 08, 2017, 11:56 (2604 days ago) @ Avateur

Destiny is too flawed to capture that old non-343 Halo essence

I think a large portion of the "old non-343 Halo essence" was the zeitgeist surrounding Halo has a landmark console FPS. Very much a time, place, and lack of all the amazing games that each member of this community can get lost in.

I don't know about you, but I simply did not have as many quality options to play back then.

+1

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, March 08, 2017, 12:29 (2604 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 08, 2017, 12:56 (2604 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I think a large portion of the "old non-343 Halo essence" was the zeitgeist surrounding Halo has a landmark console FPS. Very much a time, place, and lack of all the amazing games that each member of this community can get lost in.

I don't know about you, but I simply did not have as many quality options to play back then.

From 2007-2011 (343's TU1 that ruined Reach), there were tons of quality options; CoD in its prime, GTA4, Left 4 Dead, and a ton of great single-player games, like Mass Effect, Bioshock, Dead Space, etc... And yet everyone still came back to Halo 3, Reach, and ODST. I think that's the "essence" that is missing for some people with Destiny.

I think a lot of that has to do with an uninspired in-game narrative and a lack of freedom with custom games, which was a big draw for this community during Halo's prime.

Maybe Bungie will indeed surprise us with D2, I dunno.

Between BF1, Overwatch, COD: IW, Titanfall 2, and Halo 5

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, March 08, 2017, 15:05 (2604 days ago) @ Korny

I see my friends list much busier than when Halo 3 and Halo: Reach dropped. That's not even including my dips into single player content like Witcher 3, No Man's Sky, Dishonored 2, and many many more.

It's almost a mathematical fact that there is just WAY more awesome content than there used to be, let alone multiplayer/co-op focused content. Hell the survival genre is consuming my friends-list with random fodder like ARK. I view it with derision but respect the all consuming power it has over the gaming populace.

I also for one, don't look back on the narrative in Halo games in the way most people around here do. Maybe that's why I enjoyed Halo 5 so much. I've loved all of these games, but always to a certain extent, and mostly on my own.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, March 08, 2017, 12:58 (2604 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Yeah, that's got to be true to at least some significant extent. When we talk about the Bungie Halos we do need to keep some perspective. Things like "you have your regular health and a regenerating shield that lets you recover from mistakes!" or "it is fun and easy to drive the vehicles" or (moving into the Halo 2 era) "you just press a button and can play multiplayer with and against players of similar skill!" were all kinda these new, revolutionary things.

I do tend to agree with Avateur here. I think something was lost or moved away from with the shift to 343i. But I've also not really given Halo 5 a proper chance and know that there's many who really enjoy it. But, as you said, we now have such a wealth of amazing games to play. Its sometimes hard to devote yourself to a game you aren't quite sure of when there are ones you are playing or are about to play that you are lost in.

That guy is an idiot.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, March 14, 2017, 22:08 (2598 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You know I correctly predicted everything about Destiny in 2010 right? Two days doesn't seem like such a long time.

That guy is an idiot.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 04:30 (2597 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You know I correctly predicted everything about Destiny in 2010 right? Two days doesn't seem like such a long time.

Where? When? I poked around the HBO Forum archives a bit but there's a lot of posts and I didn't manage to find one with Destiny predictions. Found one where you predicted that Bungie's next game would be a FPS or 3rd person shooter... but that hardly qualifies as everything. Presumably you're thinking of a different topic. I'm curious to see what you had to say and how it matches up to today.

Got a link?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread