No Man's Sky update (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 08, 2017, 20:46 (2605 days ago)

I doubt anyone here cares any more, but I'm certainly intrigued by this.

I might have to try to the photo mode at least. Wish I could clone myself so I had time to spend exploring this and so many other games.

No Man's Sky update

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, March 08, 2017, 21:36 (2605 days ago) @ Kermit

Wish I could clone myself so I had time to spend exploring this and so many other games.

I've been meaning to pick it up again since the last update and haven't gotten around to it. I totally get ya on this.

No Man's Sky update

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 08, 2017, 22:28 (2605 days ago) @ dogcow

Wish I could clone myself so I had time to spend exploring this and so many other games.

I've been meaning to pick it up again since the last update and haven't gotten around to it. I totally get ya on this.

Ditto. Maybe if things calm down a bit this summer I'll download No Man's Sky again and give both updates a try. Between Horizon, Mass Effect, and maybe Zelda if I break down, it's just too busy right now.

Pathfinder Update 1.2

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, March 08, 2017, 23:19 (2604 days ago) @ Kermit

Love it! I only just started playing recently. It's a hard game to spend hours playing, but it's kind of awesome to dip in for 10-30 minutes. I've been using Photo Mode from the foundation update a bunch and can't wait to check out the new features.

I love love love the aesthetics of this game, here are a few photos I've taken.

[image][image][image][image][image]

Pathfinder Update 1.2

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, March 09, 2017, 17:26 (2604 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by Kermit, Thursday, March 09, 2017, 17:30

I love love love the aesthetics of this game, here are a few photos I've taken.

Me, too. The aesthetics always were the biggest draw for me, inspired as they are by so much classic sci fi art.

Nice pics!

Survival Mode is great and well worth a play

by Kahzgul, Thursday, March 09, 2017, 03:35 (2604 days ago) @ Kermit

Permadeath mode seems insane to me since I've died easily 30 times in survival mode (8 or more just from wandering too far from my ship on one particular world when a storm hit).

Anyway, it's lots of fun. It's great that there are new vehicles for the home world, but wow I wish they had a submarine. Rigogen is the bane of my existence.

No Man's Sky update

by MasterCheifn, Mi, Thursday, March 09, 2017, 15:11 (2604 days ago) @ Kermit

I doubt anyone here cares any more, but I'm certainly intrigued by this.

I might have to try to the photo mode at least. Wish I could clone myself so I had time to spend exploring this and so many other games.

I'm glad I haven't uninstalled that yet. Looks like it's going to be worth going back to again! I have to say, all the haters wore me down after a while.

I'm not sure cloning is the solution, though. Maybe eliminate the need for pesky things like sleep, food, bodily functions and money.

Can confirm, the photo mode is so good

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, March 09, 2017, 16:58 (2604 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

No Man's Sky update

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 09, 2017, 18:58 (2604 days ago) @ Kermit

I still drop into the game from time to time... not really to play it for myself, but my daughter really enjoys watching it for 15-20 minutes every now and then.

She's 3 now, and just started learning about the solar system at school over the past few months. For someone her age, No Man's Sky is just about the best tool I can imagine for helping her grasp the concept of "planets" and "outer space". She knows when she looks at a globe or a picture of our planet that she's looking at "earth", and she knows we live on earth, but the sheer scope and scale of everything is something she wasn't grasping. But when she watches me play No Man's Sky, its like a revelation to her. It helps her connect the dots between "where we live" and "outer space". She watches me run around on the ground, then get into my ship and fly up into the sky until I'm in orbit, then I turn the ship around and show her the planet we just left, then turn again to face another planet and fly all the way over to it, land, and get out on the surface. I could see one light bulb after another going off above her head. It's an incredible education tool.

That's awesome!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, March 09, 2017, 19:12 (2604 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

No Man's Sky update

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 09, 2017, 21:37 (2604 days ago) @ Kermit

I started downloading the game again today while I was at my parent's house with an internet connection. Sony's bullshit fucking servers wouldn't let me download 9 gigs in 7 hours, so I guess it'll have to wait until next time.

Polygon's post about photo mode is what inspired me to download it again. Looks neat!

No Man's Sky update

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 09, 2017, 21:59 (2604 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I started downloading the game again today while I was at my parent's house with an internet connection. Sony's bullshit fucking servers wouldn't let me download 9 gigs in 7 hours, so I guess it'll have to wait until next time.

A Rapture Reminder: If your download is slow for any reason, go to the Network tab on the PS4, and click "Test Internet Connection". It'll refresh the download, and nine times out of ten it will download at normal speed.

No Man's Sky update

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 09, 2017, 22:08 (2604 days ago) @ Korny

A Rapture Reminder: If your download is slow for any reason, go to the Network tab on the PS4, and click "Test Internet Connection". It'll refresh the download, and nine times out of ten it will download at normal speed.

I do (and did!) but it always just slows down again after like fifteen minutes. I was too busy playing Horizon to keep checking on my download. It's not the end of the world (I wasn't planning on playing No Man's Sky again for a bit, but I have the hard drive space and figured I'd have it available). It's just a stupid problem to have, and Sony should fix their shit. I know that's not going to be easy or cheap, but at a certain point, where's my $60 a year going?

No Man's Sky update

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 10, 2017, 00:29 (2603 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I do (and did!) but it always just slows down again after like fifteen minutes. I was too busy playing Horizon to keep checking on my download. It's not the end of the world (I wasn't planning on playing No Man's Sky again for a bit, but I have the hard drive space and figured I'd have it available). It's just a stupid problem to have, and Sony should fix their shit. I know that's not going to be easy or cheap, but at a certain point, where's my $60 a year going?

Never heard of an issue about it slowing down again. I'll have to look that up... Maybe it's an ISP thing? Having your speed throttled isn't unheard of. Are you using a wired connection?

No Man's Sky update

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 10, 2017, 02:02 (2603 days ago) @ Korny

I was on WiFi today, but have had the same issues on wired connections as well. Like I said, not a huge deal today. These issues are a huge part of the reason I still buy games on disc on PS4.

Does connection test qualify as interrupting the download?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Friday, March 10, 2017, 02:53 (2603 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Pyromancy, Friday, March 10, 2017, 02:57

If your download is slow for any reason, go to the Network tab on the PS4, and click "Test Internet Connection". It'll refresh the download, and nine times out of ten it will download at normal speed.

Does this method of testing the connection during the download process qualify as "interrupting the download"?
Could this method be part of the reason I had to re-download the entire collection of Destiny Games and DLC's when a large Rise of Iron patch came out??
(probably because of your original tip on DBO here) I have tested the connection in the past and had success speeding up the download. I recall testing the connection many times during that update in Dec. that went badly for me.
I think the PlayStation servers probably have not changed at all. Could something have changed in the PS4 system software? Or could something have changed on the Destiny servers? Which now makes a connection test interrupt the download?

There have been a few mentions in prior "weekly updates" about similar problems with download issues, but it feels like in the last month the number of people around the net that have had an issue has been rising and the Destiny Operations Center have maybe zeroed in on a cause->effect

03-02-16 THAB:

"Update Inbound:Next week, we will be pushing an update to all players on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. This update will make no changes to the player experience, and players may immediately resume gameplay once it is installed. When it comes to Destiny Updates, here is some information that players should take special note of: Interrupting Downloads: Some consoles will attempt to verify all previously downloaded content before downloading a Destiny Update. If any issues are found, or the verification process is interrupted, all previous content will be deleted and downloaded once more. For more information, please see our Updating Destiny Guide."

03-09-16 THAB:

"Destiny Update Recap: Earlier this week, Destiny underwent a small scheduled update. No changes were made to the player-facing Destiny experience. Once an Update has been released, Destiny Player Support monitors the #Help forum to ensure players are proceeding through the download process as expected. With this recent update, we saw an increase in reports of players having to re-download large portions of Destiny content, which equated to longer-than-expected console downloads. This is the result of a console attempting to verify all previously downloaded content. This includes the base game and all Destiny Updates/Hotfixes. If any issues are found, or the verification process is interrupted, all previous content will be deleted and downloaded again. To ensure that players do not encounter this often, we highly recommend using a wired connection when downloading Destiny Updates or Hotfixes. Additionally, if a player is experiencing network issues during the download process, this may lead to some content being lost or damaged. For more information, please see our Updating Destiny Guide."

Does connection test qualify as interrupting the download?

by Kahzgul, Friday, March 10, 2017, 10:59 (2603 days ago) @ Pyromancy

I wouldn't use Destiny's verification system as cannon. None of my other PS4 games have ever behaved in the same manner as Destiny when patching, not once, not ever.

So, would you say that Destiny...is not...canon?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Saturday, March 11, 2017, 16:10 (2602 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I wouldn't use Destiny's verification system as cannon. None of my other PS4 games have ever behaved in the same manner as Destiny when patching, not once, not ever.

(topic title is only a joke)

I guess I'm confused?
I never insinuated that Destiny's download verfification was the gaming standard. I never even said anything remotely close to that? Never mentioned any other PS games or how PS works. I never made any claims, just supposing and asking questions.

I'm a habitual threadjacker, which I guess is my mistake. I was asking a solely Destiny question, on a Destiny forum (in a random No Man's Sky topic). The discussion reminded me of something or helped me generate a new idea. I'm still trying to figure out why I had to waste 8-10 hours downloading a game I already owned and had downloaded in the past. Does it matter anymore? No. Its just I'm a bit of a gearhead at times and I love to know how things work, or why they work the way that they do.
I was only wondering if the priorly good method of 'testing the connection' could have qualified as interrupting my Destiny download and caused me to have to re-acquire the entire game. I had no further implications than that...?

Thanks for posting the Polygon link

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 10, 2017, 12:19 (2603 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Those pics are amazing.

I can easily see myself losing a weekend to No Man's Sky's photo mode.

Thanks for posting the Polygon link

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 10, 2017, 12:35 (2603 days ago) @ Kermit

It really is the final piece of the puzzle that convinced me to download the game again. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread