4TB External drive for $110... (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, March 13, 2017, 15:31 (2594 days ago)

Good news if your PS4 or Xbone is running out of space, this Western Digital external drive is on sale, and eligible for Prime shipping!

If you're getting a PS4 Pro, I highly recommend it, since I already had around 500 gigs of video saved up until last week, and the console's been out for four months... Then again, I save a crap ton of film clips...

Also, Western Digital has never let me down.

Any impact on load speed?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, March 13, 2017, 16:46 (2594 days ago) @ Korny

The price here is low enough that I'm considering this, but I'm wary of games loading slower over USB (especially considering how slow the PS4 is when it comes to exporting screenshots/clips)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, March 13, 2017, 17:18 (2594 days ago) @ CyberKN

It actually improved load times on the Xbox One. Can't say how it does for the PS4. I haven't loaded anything onto an external yet.

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, March 13, 2017, 18:29 (2594 days ago) @ CyberKN

I think the pro is USB-3, so the transfer rates are going ot be higher than any platter drive. I haven't done the research, but a SSD might actually make a difference there with the pro. The old PS4 is USB-2 I think, and that will cause possible issues.

I looked it up, and they're all USB 3.0

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, March 13, 2017, 18:37 (2594 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

orly?

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, March 13, 2017, 21:23 (2594 days ago) @ CyberKN

I thought I looked at that... I might be thinking of bus speed and SATA2 vs SATA3. I remember thinking that it wouldn't matter if I put in a SSD drive internally. Guess I need to go do some more homework, seems like I may be misinformed.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, March 13, 2017, 20:26 (2594 days ago) @ CyberKN

Don't be. The (theoretical) transfer rate of USB 3.0 is nearly as high as 3rd-generation SATA, and certainly high enough that it's not going to impact the speed of a platter-based mechanical hard drive.

As far as practical experience, I can only speak for the XBone side, but the built-in hard drive in that thing is 5400RPM. I use a 7,200RPM external drive, and games actually load faster from that. The improved performance of the drive itself was more significant than the interface.

I haven't found an official spec for the RPM on the drive Korny posted. It's probably 5400RPM, but even that should put it on level footing with the internal drive.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, March 13, 2017, 21:01 (2594 days ago) @ stabbim

I haven't found an official spec for the RPM on the drive Korny posted. It's probably 5400RPM, but even that should put it on level footing with the internal drive.

Yeah, probably 5400 if they're not announcing it specifically. The higher bit density, though, means that more bits pass under the read head in a given amount of time, so the read rate would actually be higher than the built-in drive.

Thanks for the tips

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, March 13, 2017, 21:59 (2594 days ago) @ Beorn

Ended up getting a 3TB version of this model for $130 CAD (35% discount).

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 13, 2017, 22:10 (2594 days ago) @ stabbim
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, March 13, 2017, 22:14

Don't be. The (theoretical) transfer rate of USB 3.0 is nearly as high as 3rd-generation SATA, and certainly high enough that it's not going to impact the speed of a platter-based mechanical hard drive.

USB is has always been worse than its rated speed though for a variety or reasons. It requires the CPU to be the bus master, it is only half duplex, and the data transfer is not isochronous. This is why firewire 400 would always beat USB2 in the real world, despite it being rated 80 Mbits slower.

It actually could matter in a spinning disk because of the CPU overhead for a usb device. I've seen slower transfer rates from the usb 3 port vs the thunderbolt port on the same drive often.

4TB External drive for $110...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 13, 2017, 17:06 (2594 days ago) @ Korny

Good news if your PS4 or Xbone is running out of space, this Western Digital external drive is on sale, and eligible for Prime shipping!

If you're getting a PS4 Pro, I highly recommend it, since I already had around 500 gigs of video saved up until last week, and the console's been out for four months... Then again, I save a crap ton of film clips...

Also, Western Digital has never let me down.

Western Digital always lets me down. I only trust Hitachi. In fact when I upgraded to a 7200rpm drive for the PS4 I got a Hitachi. WD and Seagate always seem to fail on me at one point or another.

You *do* know...

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, March 13, 2017, 20:08 (2594 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Western Digital always lets me down. I only trust Hitachi. In fact when I upgraded to a 7200rpm drive for the PS4 I got a Hitachi. WD and Seagate always seem to fail on me at one point or another.

...that Hitachi (HGST) is owned by Western Digital, right? Since 2011.

WD/HGST is hands-down the most reliable drive brand for me these days. I have dozens of drives that I maintain, and the WDs have been bullet-proof.

Edit: added qualifier

You *do* know...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 13, 2017, 21:59 (2594 days ago) @ Beorn

...that Hitachi (HGST) is owned by Western Digital, right? Since 2011.

WD/HGST is hands-down the most reliable drive brand for me these days. I have dozens of drives that I maintain, and the WDs have been bullet-proof.

Edit: added qualifier

This is true, but between drives branded Western Digital and Drives branded Hitachi / HGST, I've noticed a huge difference.

I'm not imagining it either:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/02/hgst-hard-disks-still-super-reliable-seagates-have-greatly-imp...

WD drives are literally the worst.

You *do* know...

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, March 13, 2017, 23:23 (2594 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is my experience as well. Western Digital bought SanDisk last year and I have become concerned about SanDisks long term product quality. I'm hoping they operate independently of eachother and it was more of an in name only type of deal.

I must be lucky

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, March 14, 2017, 14:37 (2593 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is true, but between drives branded Western Digital and Drives branded Hitachi / HGST, I've noticed a huge difference.

I'm not imagining it either:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/02/hgst-hard-disks-still-super-reliable-seagates-have-greatly-imp...

Been a while since I checked the Backblaze drive reliability reports, but it looks like Seagate has really cleaned up their act over the last couple years. Fortunately, being owned by WD hasn't seemed to affect the quality of HGST drives. :) I'm going to be in the market for a new set of NAS drives later this year, so I'll definitely be checking out the HGST offerings.

I must be lucky

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, March 14, 2017, 14:49 (2593 days ago) @ Beorn

I'm going to be in the market for a new set of NAS drives later this year, so I'll definitely be checking out the HGST offerings.

Shouldn't you stagger your purchase of NAS drives to reduce the risk of concurrent failures? Regarding the W.A.F. I find it a lot easier to justify a drive upgrade every now & then instead of dropping $500-800 on a whole set of drives. ;)

I must be lucky

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, March 14, 2017, 17:18 (2593 days ago) @ dogcow

I'm going to be in the market for a new set of NAS drives later this year, so I'll definitely be checking out the HGST offerings.

Shouldn't you stagger your purchase of NAS drives to reduce the risk of concurrent failures? Regarding the W.A.F. I find it a lot easier to justify a drive upgrade every now & then instead of dropping $500-800 on a whole set of drives. ;)

Here at work we've had more or less the same NAS setup for almost ten years. with periodical data transfer to external drives. All WD, without a single HD failure.

Heck, my computer had three WD drives, with the primary being from 2004, and by the time the CPU gave out in 2014, the same old drive was still going strong.

As long as we're giving anecdotes

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, March 14, 2017, 21:51 (2593 days ago) @ Korny

I've been buying WD red drives for my NAS for a few years and I fill the drives before they fail. I literally have a box full of broken Seagates, though. (Stupid hard to get to waste recyclers...)

Take 'em apart!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 12:16 (2593 days ago) @ Vortech

I literally have a box full of broken Seagates, though. (Stupid hard to get to waste recyclers...)

Hard drive magnets are ridiculously strong and the platters just fun to mess with. Old hard drives are much more useful in pieces :)

-Disciple

Agreed

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 14:30 (2592 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Those things provide the best refrigerator magnets you'll ever find. Just watch your fingers when putting them on (seriously).

SSD or bust

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, March 13, 2017, 17:12 (2594 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

+1

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 13, 2017, 18:18 (2594 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

+1

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 13, 2017, 21:58 (2594 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I don't think that the console's operating system is really designed to handle an ssd. It might not be a good idea.

+1

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 13, 2017, 22:14 (2594 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't think that the console's operating system is really designed to handle an ssd. It might not be a good idea.

All of my games on the Xbox One are on an SSD. Boot-up of games is much, much faster than it was before. (Destiny, for example, takes a couple of seconds to get to the splash screen.) I have not had any problems since install (many months ago).

+1

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 13, 2017, 22:25 (2594 days ago) @ Claude Errera

All of my games on the Xbox One are on an SSD. Boot-up of games is much, much faster than it was before. (Destiny, for example, takes a couple of seconds to get to the splash screen.) I have not had any problems since install (many months ago).

Good to know. I remember reading to use caution when installing an SSD n a console. Maybe it's been long enough that the console makers have caught up with software updates.

What about menu load time?

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, March 14, 2017, 01:55 (2594 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Much pleased by the speed increase.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, March 14, 2017, 12:04 (2594 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Much pleased by the speed increase.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, March 14, 2017, 12:12 (2594 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Same experience for me. Even though the OS itself is still running off of the internal drive, with my games running from the external, the internal drive is less bogged down. So I found that during times when the games are loading or otherwise accessing storage heavily, previously the XBox dashboard/menus would become extremely sluggish. With the games on a separate drive, this is much less so.

Not "or bust". Hybrids generally perform better with console

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, March 13, 2017, 19:02 (2594 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I recall numerous tests (easily youtube-able) that determined that Hybrids gave a better overall performance, and the price gave them the edge over SSDs. Sure, as an external there is less issue with durability SSD-wise, but I'm not eager to fork over $1k for a more durable external storage. ;)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 13, 2017, 19:42 (2594 days ago) @ Korny

I recall numerous tests (easily youtube-able) that determined that Hybrids gave a better overall performance, and the price gave them the edge over SSDs. Sure, as an external there is less issue with durability SSD-wise, but I'm not eager to fork over $1k for a more durable external storage. ;)

I'm just going to jump in and bust your balls for referencing "easily YouTube-able" videos without actually including them to provide your point. Just because that's what you'd do in my place ;p

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, March 13, 2017, 20:19 (2594 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm just going to jump in and bust your balls for referencing "easily YouTube-able" videos without actually including them to provide your point. Just because that's what you'd do in my place ;p

Heh, I have a valid excuse for the rare occurence of me not backing up what I say with evidence, but fair enough, I can pull a Cody every once in a while, given my record. :P

I'll do you one better than linking random videos; an extensive article by Eurogamer. Their results skew a bit more towards the SSD in speed, but only marginally faster than a hybrid in most cases, and definitely not worth the cost...

ok, you're forgiven... just this once ;p

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 13, 2017, 22:47 (2594 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, March 14, 2017, 11:36 (2594 days ago) @ Korny

Heh, I have a valid excuse for the rare occurence of me not backing up what I say with evidence, but fair enough, I can pull a Cody every once in a while, given my record. :P

I'll do you one better than linking random videos; an extensive article by Eurogamer. Their results skew a bit more towards the SSD in speed, but only marginally faster than a hybrid in most cases, and definitely not worth the cost...

Yeah at the point that I'm splurging for a another HD, I might as well get the fastest. I'm a bit ruthless about my space anyways. Also my experience is with my XB1, I haven't needed another HD for my PS4 yet... I feel like by the time I do, I'll just get the Pro.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 14, 2017, 12:49 (2594 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Yeah at the point that I'm splurging for a another HD, I might as well get the fastest. I'm a bit ruthless about my space anyways. Also my experience is with my XB1, I haven't needed another HD for my PS4 yet... I feel like by the time I do, I'll just get the Pro.

That's what I did.

SSD or bust

by ShadowDancing, CA, Sunday, March 19, 2017, 21:23 (2588 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Samsung T3 external USB SSD up to 2TB.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread