Current path to 400 light? (Destiny)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 13:06 (2589 days ago)

I'm leveling up for next week's activities and I'm at 380 light. What are the current upgrade paths available to someone playing solo at my light level? My google-fu isn't up to par as I can only find old stuff (or is that stuff current?) regarding the path to 400 light. Am I stuck grinding rep and playing crucible?

Also, anyone feel like helping me out w/ a nightfall tomorrow night?

Exotics, nightfall, forge, strike chest, raid, crucible, rep

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 13:23 (2589 days ago) @ dogcow

Ie play the game.

Exotics, nightfall, forge, strike chest, raid, crucible, rep

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 14:05 (2589 days ago) @ Funkmon

Ie play the game.

Above is true; but if you want to focus:
Do bounties and and other activities that reward reputation - your first step should be to keep increasing your faction reputation. If you've got an exotic faction class item, make sure you're wearing it. Save exotic engrams and the nightfall for later after you've hit 388 or so.

Faction class rewards will go up to 390 light, so you want to leverage those rank-ups first to get your light level up to 388 or so. If you've stockpiled motes of light, strange coins, armor and weapon parts, ammo synths, you can use them to buy reputation. Faction packages will contain armor or weapons (your choice), and may also include ghosts. In order to get light-leveled artifacts and ghosts, run Archons Forge. Those drop up to 400 in the forge, and the drop rate is pretty good - go into the Forge every few light levels to make sure you keep your ghost and artifact level current.

After 390, the only ways to get light-leveled gear are to decode exotic engrams (so buy and use a lot of Three of Coins), the nightfall (one drop per character per week), the heroic Wrath of the Machine Strike (random drops at checkpoints after entering), Strike Chests, and Archons Forge (class items and artifacts only).

Strike Reward chests require a skeleton key to open, so you'll need to run strikes until one drops, and then you can run a specific strike to open its chest. Strike chests usually have a 50/50 chance between two items to drop, and might also reward a class item or artifact. You can get primary, secondary, heavy weapons from strike chests, and helmets and gauntlets. You can look up online which strikes can reward which items. You can't get light-leveled chests or boots from strike chests, so you'll need to use exotic engrams for those (or get lucky with the nightfall or raid) to bring those up. The Heroic Vosiks Part 2 checkpoint in WotM can drop Boots, and the Heroic Siege engine can drop Chest pieces and gauntlets.

One quick followup...

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 14:27 (2589 days ago) @ Chappy

Strike Reward chests require a skeleton key to open, so you'll need to run strikes until one drops, and then you can run a specific strike to open its chest.

Just a reminder - your first Nightfall of the week now drops a guaranteed skeleton key (in addition to whatever else you get). The drop rate in ALL strikes is higher than it used to be - but this is a guaranteed way to get one every week.

question

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 15:12 (2589 days ago) @ Chappy

Strike Reward chests require a skeleton key to open, so you'll need to run strikes until one drops, and then you can run a specific strike to open its chest. Strike chests usually have a 50/50 chance between two items to drop, and might also reward a class item or artifact. You can get primary, secondary, heavy weapons from strike chests, and helmets and gauntlets. You can look up online which strikes can reward which items. You can't get light-leveled chests or boots from strike chests, so you'll need to use exotic engrams for those (or get lucky with the nightfall or raid) to bring those up.

I've never really farmed for specific things in strikes--I've never run a specific strike in order to use the skeleton key to get specific reward. In general, I have hardly ever run strikes outside of the playlist mode. Is there a level you have to choose in order to get light-leveled items? I assume so.

question

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 17:25 (2588 days ago) @ Kermit

Strike Reward chests require a skeleton key to open, so you'll need to run strikes until one drops, and then you can run a specific strike to open its chest. Strike chests usually have a 50/50 chance between two items to drop, and might also reward a class item or artifact. You can get primary, secondary, heavy weapons from strike chests, and helmets and gauntlets. You can look up online which strikes can reward which items. You can't get light-leveled chests or boots from strike chests, so you'll need to use exotic engrams for those (or get lucky with the nightfall or raid) to bring those up.

I've never really farmed for specific things in strikes--I've never run a specific strike in order to use the skeleton key to get specific reward. In general, I have hardly ever run strikes outside of the playlist mode. Is there a level you have to choose in order to get light-leveled items? I assume so.

As long as the chest spawns, the legendary item you get out of it should be up to max light, so you don't have to worry about wasting your key... It's been long enough that I don't remember if the chest always spawns regardless of difficulty, though.

Think it does. Did a normal strike two days ago and used it.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 17:48 (2588 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

question

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 17:51 (2588 days ago) @ CyberKN

Strike Chests ("Hoards" in Bungie parlance) will appear in:

• Director-selected Strikes (320 difficulty only)
  • SIVA Crisis Playlist
  • Heroic SIVA Crisis Playlist
  • Weekly Nightfall

Chappy forgot...

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 15:56 (2589 days ago) @ Chappy

Crucible matches can also drop up to 400 light gear. So just playing any crucible has a chance. Not as good as some of the guaranteed but if you enjoy it, it's OK to do.

Chappy forgot...

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 16:00 (2589 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Crucible matches can also drop up to 400 light gear. So just playing any crucible has a chance. Not as good as some of the guaranteed but if you enjoy it, it's OK to do.

Only weapons, ghosts and class items.

Chappy forgot...

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 16:07 (2589 days ago) @ unoudid

Really? Gear is not from Crucible? That is Trails and Iron Banner only?

Chappy forgot...

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 17:42 (2588 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Really? Gear is not from Crucible? That is Trails and Iron Banner only?

Correct. IB/Trials only

Chappy also forgot...

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 17:57 (2588 days ago) @ unoudid

I also forgot the new Strike Bounties from Zavala - every week he has three bounties that can be completed in the SIVA Crisis Playlist, the Heroic SIVA Crisis Playlist, and/or the Weekly Nightfall.

One of the bounties will always be "Sunrise" - it requires that you complete the nightfall with a gold tier score in 30 minutes or less. This bounty will award a light-leveled weapon (up to 400). It may reward you with the new Icebreaker as well.

The other two bounties will vary week-to-week. They each award a light-leveled piece of armor (helmet, gauntlet, chest or boots up to 400). The set is called "Snowglare" for Titans, "Dying Star" for Warlocks, and "Exultation" for Hunters.

+1: Helpful.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 17:43 (2588 days ago) @ Chappy

- No text -

I've found this helpful

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 14:10 (2589 days ago) @ dogcow

[image]

I'd help with Nightfall, but I doubt you can get on early enough before the 9 EDT raid.

Don't know how long VoG will take, but if you're on when we're done, and it's not too late, I'd enjoy doing that.

I've found this helpful

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 17:35 (2588 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

Yeah, I guess I was wondering if that is still accurate. If so looks like I need to grind that faction rep, play crucible, & get some people to run nightfall & hard mode raid with me in order to get drops much higher than what I already have.

I'd help with Nightfall, but I doubt you can get on early enough before the 9 EDT raid.

Don't know how long VoG will take, but if you're on when we're done, and it's not too late, I'd enjoy doing that.

Yeah, I'm usually on around 10:30 EDT.

The weekly strike bounties are a good level-up resource

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 15:08 (2589 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread